Weinrich? For Kostitsyn?

Sorry, but I don't like any of the names being thrown around in the latest speculation on Spectors Site.

Zed or Kotz or Latendresse....for weinrich........obviously a joke, can you believe this bulls#@#$t

SPECTOR'S MAILBAG.

Thanks to "stasny" for the following Canadiens rumour: "Ron Fournier, former NHL referee and popular radio host in Montreal, said on his Monday night show he was informed that the Habs are currently negotiating with a team about a certain guy. Fournier said he couldn't tell the guy's name on the air but gave a lot of hints for us to guess:

He knows for sure that the Habs are discussing with a team about aquiring a solid, stay-at-home defenseman, that could become number 5 or 6 in Montreal. The guy is said to be a veteran close to retirement, probably a rental player. He spent some time on the PP this season although he wouldn't on Mtl lineup. He apparently had some important responsibilities in his career and, according to Fournier, he would love to end the season in Mtl and would fit right away with the team. My guess is the guy he's talking about is former Habs D-man Eric Weinrich.

In return, the other team would ask one of the following: A veteran offensive winger that could play on the second line (probably Richard Zednik) or a Hamilton Bulldogs forward said to be a fast skater that is a good two-way player.

Fournier said Montreal felt the asking price is a little too high but that negociations between the two teams are still active.

Let me add this on what I sent earlier about the Habs trying to get a

defenseman. It has been confirmed on the air with Fournier on CKAC radio this afternoon. Blues offer Eric Weinrich for either Richard Zednik or prospect Andrei Kostitsyn. Negociations are still active.

I cannot believe the Habs would give up one of their very few prospects.

Zednik is on his way out of Montreal and has started to play decent hockey since the last two or three games, now that he is playing on the third line.

"Alex" also has information on this: "My name is Alex, I'm from Quebec and I was watching to the news at TQS, it was the sports chronic by Michel Villeneuve. He said that an imminent trade including Richard Zednik and the St.Louis Blues defenceman Eric Weinrich (who was once a Habs.) Michel Villeneuve also said that St.Louis request for Weinrich was either Zednik and a young Quebecer prospect that played quite well in pre-season (he didn't mentionned any names but it's obvliously Guillaume Latendresse).

Edited by HABBER-oooooKNOWS

zednik alone is too expansive for wienrich..he'S friggin 37 years old... and they want prospect as well!??..we never had such quality prospectas we have now..lets not spoil that on guy and his walker!!

Not too worry rumors are rumors, i'm glad gainey is in charge, i don't think he would throw in a prospect to add a top winger. This team has a great future with the number of good prospects. Throwing them away to make a run at a the cup now doesn't even make sense. Adding a marginal player to help get into the playoffs for a pick or someone Gainey won't redsign to get into the playoffs is much more likely.

Those people know nothing.

There is no way Kostitsyn who is our best offensive prospect is getting traded for Weinrich, you might might see Ferland for Weinrich but that's about all.

They are blowing things out of proportion and those are people who know nothing of the system.

If that is the actual market then I'm perfectly happy with this team thanks.

There is no way Kostitsyn who is our best offensive prospect is getting traded for Weinrich, you might might see Ferland for Weinrich but that's about all.

They are blowing things out of proportion and those are people who know nothing of the system.

amen

[/quote

Couldn't have said it better myself.

If we wanted to get Weinrich it would probably take, like you said, Jonathen Ferland, or a 3rd or 4th round draft pick at best.

the real problem with this rumour is the non-logical leaps.

He knows for sure that the Habs are discussing with a team about aquiring a solid, stay-at-home defenseman, that could become number 5 or 6 in Montreal. The guy is said to be a veteran close to retirement, probably a rental player. He spent some time on the PP this season although he wouldn't on Mtl lineup. He apparently had some important responsibilities in his career and, according to Fournier, he would love to end the season in Mtl and would fit right away with the team. My guess is the guy he's talking about is former Habs D-man Eric Weinrich.

Why the hell Eric Weinrich? How did you pull that name out?

In return, the other team would ask one of the following: A veteran offensive winger that could play on the second line (probably Richard Zednik) or a Hamilton Bulldogs forward said to be a fast skater that is a good two-way player.

The Zed assumption makes sense, but is Kostitsyn a good two-way forward? It sounds much more like Corey Locke or even Plekanec than it sounds like Kost...

And it is Zed OR propsect, not both.

Of course the whole thing sounds wrong...

Are we sure it is Weinrich? Sean Hill in Florida is a former habs that would fit our No. 5 or No.6 role. However, I'm not sure how close Hill is to retirement. Weinrich has hinted at retirement in the past. :wacko: Wait a minute, I just answered my own question. It must be Weinrich they are trying to aquire.

Are we sure it is Weinrich? Sean Hill in Florida is a former habs that would fit our No. 5 or No.6 role. However, I'm not sure how close Hill is to retirement. Weinrich has hinted at retirement in the past. :wacko: Wait a minute, I just answered my own question. It must be Weinrich they are trying to aquire.

fournier who started this sad sack of a rumor mill, acknowledged that the player he was refering to was Weinrich. Personally I'd even rather Chelios

I don't really agree with KoZed. I thought Weinrich did a good job when he was in Montreal, and he is still a capable, reliable defenseman. If we could get him for cheap, or if by some miracle they would take Bonk's contract in return (yeah right), I would do it. I like Montreal's top 4, but Bouillon and Dandeneault should not BOTH be regulars... actually, I think they are nothing more than 7th defensemen on a contending team.

Michel Villeneuve also said that St.Louis request for Weinrich was either Zednik and a young Quebecer prospect that played quite well in pre-season (he didn't mentionned any names but it's obvliously Guillaume Latendresse).

The rumour has changed. The prospect is a Quebecois in Hamilton. Not a Quebecois in Junior.

I don't really agree with KoZed. I thought Weinrich did a good job when he was in Montreal, and he is still a capable, reliable defenseman. If we could get him for cheap, or if by some miracle they would take Bonk's contract in return (yeah right), I would do it. I like Montreal's top 4, but Bouillon and Dandeneault should not BOTH be regulars... actually, I think they are nothing more than 7th defensemen on a contending team.

bouillon a 7th?? ouch...where are his flaws ?? too small?? he never backed up on anybody and he's one of the strongest guy in montreal. he,s our 5th or 6th..I agree about dandeneault. I'd rather have him in front

bouillon a 7th?? ouch...where are his flaws ?? too small?? he never backed up on anybody and he's one of the strongest guy in montreal. he,s our 5th or 6th..I agree about dandeneault. I'd rather have him in front

He doesn't have any major flaws, but he doesn't have any major strengths either. He's an ok, capable defenseman that won't hurt you, but won't really help you much either. He's quite good in 1 on 1 situations, but he does get pushed around very easily by big forwards in front of the net. Also, he has to work exctra hard just to maintain what would be an acceptable level of play for a bigger player. These weaknesses could haunt him in the playoffs.

Besides, although this is not the ONLY thing that has changed recently, the team is doing a lot better since Komisarek has become a top 4, and since Bouillon's responsibilities have decreased.

Edited by CerebusClone

I would add a strength is one on one against the boards, that is where he excells along the boards.Other then that he is very average. A great #7 depth guy. I assume these comments were about adding Mara and either trading or moving Bouillon to #7. Mara is a left D, more size, speed and talent then Bouillon. It's nothing personal he is just an average player at best with good work ethic. One trade could easiliy upgrade the D talent.

Fournier's source must be Rejean Houle, because only he would trade Kostistyn/Zednick/Latendresse for a 37-year old Weinrich. I wouldn't mind Weinrich on the Habs for the playoff run, but the most I would give up for him would be a 5th round pick in this year's draft, which is considered a weak draft.

For Weinrich, the most I would give up would be futures or a conditional pick. I didn't mind him when he was here (heck, I'd have preferred he didn't get dealt for Traverse) but at this stage of his career, I wouldn't be offerering much.

Only a dumbass would believe this Kostitsyn or Zednik for Weinrich crap.

On a side note, it does look like if any team wants to improve themselves its going to cost them. Check out the deal Edmonton just made. They gave up a first round pick, and a conditional (possibly 3rd rounder if he resigns with Edmonton) pick for Dwayne Roloson. Ok if the season ended today, Edmonton just gave up a 18th or 19th overall pick and another pick for a 36 year old goalie who has never played more than 50 games and never won more than 23....thats scary. Is that the best deal Edmonton could make? Your telling me you wouldn't have given the same deal to Buffalo for Biron who is 6 years younger, and has proven that he can be a number 1. Maybe Biron isn't available, or maybe the asking price is higher, but I'd rather have him.

So anyways if you have to give up a 1st rounder, for a 36 year old goalie or 36 year old centerman (Carolina with Weight) what the hell would it take to get a Paul Mara, Ollie Jokenin, Derek Morris, Marin Biron ect??

Ladies and gentleman I don't believe the Habs will be upgrading any position. I think Bob will stand pat. The price is too high

Edited by kaos

Only a dumbass would believe this Kostitsyn or Zednik for Weinrich crap.

carefull with what you say..dumbasses prefer to be called leafs fans :P