Habs Fans Set Leaf Jersey On Fire!

gohabsgo252006

I was reading an article by pat hickey online today

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...4e-f4a5e34a3045

And i was surprised when i got to the end, it said

"Note -After the game outside the Bell Centre, jubilant Canadiens fans set fire to a Leafs jersey."

If you go on and read it, it has comments from some of the people involved.

I was very surprised to read this, something many of us have thought about doing in the past. Kind of intense I must say. ANyways I thought this was something to bring to everyone's attention not something you see everyday. It really shows the intensite and caring involved in this rivlary, not something you would see in Florida I would hazzard to guess.

GO HABS GO

"Note -After the game outside the Bell Centre, jubilant Canadiens fans set fire to a Leafs jersey."

was there a leaf fan in the jerzey ?? :P

I agree, that's disgraceful in principle...on the other hand, Leafs fans are so preternaturally obnoxious that - depending on how this guy was acting - it might be simple poetic justice.

i think we (habs fab) didnt need to do that~ we should keep the habs spirit which is NOT being disgraceful~ like, wearing and showing that blue t-shirt with *LEAFS SUCK* on it is a very good idea~

Don't get me wrong, i hate the leafs as much as anyone else. I find their team and their "leaf nation" to be rather arrogant and obnoxious. I also dislike how CBC/TSN focuses exclusively on toronto. I was thrilled with last night's game.

However... i may hate the maple leafs, but i still respect them as an NHL franchise. Burning another team's jersey is disgraceful. It's analogous to burning another nation's flag.

In short:

I hate the leafs, but i still respect them. Burning a jersey is pushing things too far.

as a symbolic image it is very impressive... as an actual event it is mean...

I agree.. on paper.. bloody hilarious... in reality...not cool at all...

as a symbolic image it is very impressive... as an actual event it is mean...

Absolutely...Well said.

Think about the passion that is involved in hockey in this country, when stuff like this happens.

Could you see a Tampa fan burning a Panthers jersey I think not.

As someone said earlier it's analogous to burning another nations flag - That's how much hockey means to our country especially in Montreal and probably Toronto too.

THis is disgusting and I'm ashamed to be associated with this kind of behaviour. If it had been a leafs fan doing this, this forum would be at riot level right now.

I'd like to apologize to leaf fans as well. This is disgusting and shouldn't be condoned.

And I really hope the reports of it being stolen off somebodies back are false...that would probably make me puke.

It is a shame,...

On a side note, look at the picture in the article and add this caption,

Tucker,"SMELL IT! SMELL IIIIT!!!"

Kovalev,"Oh dude, what did you eat?!" :blink:

:P

:hlogo:

Word is it was a bet between the friends, loser had their jersey burned.

I think "loser" should have been established before the match, because the Leafs always have been, and always be, losers

Just like European fans. Hooligans.

I like the sportsmanship in north america and as long nobody get's hurt then I can live with it.

Still, this incident is tragic isolated but in the big perspective it says something about the rivalry and the legend goes on. In about 50 year all of you will be telling your grandchildren how the guy next to you burned a Leafs jersey outside the Bell. Just like Woodstock...

(They asked people if they went to Woodstock and about 2 million said they did when in fact they whera a lot less)

Just like European fans. Hooligans.

I like the sportsmanship in north america and as long nobody get's hurt then I can live with it.

Still, this incident is tragic isolated but in the big perspective it says something about the rivalry and the legend goes on. In about 50 year all of you will be telling your grandchildren how the guy next to you burned a Leafs jersey outside the Bell. Just like Woodstock...

(They asked people if they went to Woodstock and about 2 million said they did when in fact they whera a lot less)

Somehow I think once this threat reaches the next page we'll all have forgotten about it

I hope it was an agreement between friends. Anything else would be very disrespectful. But if it was in good fun and is not hurting anyone I am all for it clean fun where no one gets hurt cannot hurt anyone. :blink: