The Last Thing We Needed

FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY. ARGH :angry2:

I'm really getting sick and tired of this. First of all. If the team needs to be more french, that's fine. But, the organization has to get there first.

Logistically speaking. Changing the team in this dramatic is going to set any cup aspirations back many years IMO. If you want to sign a french player, that's fine. But why at the expense of Koivu? Why not another player?

Does anyone in the house feel that Keane might not have been included with Roy in the trade had this issue not come up with him too?

I want to know who asked Koivu these stupid questions. His status is not 100% confirmed as to his health, and these morons ask him about a language issue? SUCKS

Does the french media wish to destroy the Habs?

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Hmmm, actually, I think the whole started a week or so ago, during the series, when Carolina's Aaron Ward (bilingual guy) told the medias that some Canes spoke some French, including... Mark Recchi.

Recchi never spoke a word of French while he was with the Habs, so naturally the medias were kinda shocked and asked him if Ward was right. Recchi told them its true, he took French classes during is stay in Montreal, and he'd pretend not understanding anything in French.

Then... Recchi told the guy that they would be surprised who else "secretly" knew French, basically saying that Saku (his good friend) took some classes and knew French.

Since Saku never speaks a word of French either, Recchi guessed it maybe just because Saku doesn't feel comfortable enough or something.

So... blame Recchi for all this crap! He's the one that put Saku on the spot.

the Canoe report on this has been removed from the website, anyone have a link or something? And the whole Gainey press conference?

I liked Koivu's answer to that. He knows that ideally he should speak some basic French, but like he said, when you don't have to do something, it's easy to act lazy about it. During the regular season, the schedule is very demanding, and during the off-season, the last thing he probably feels like doing is learning a new language (and a much harder one to learn).

He also said that he was selected as captain by his colleagues, who couldn't care any less where he's from, and whether or not he speaks French. So again, there is no need for him to learn it.

Edited by CerebusClone

I liked Koivu's answer to that. He knows that ideally he should speak some basic French, but like he said, when you don't have to do something, it's easy to act lazy about it. During the regular season, the schedule is very demanding, and during the off-season, the last thing he probably feels like doing is learning a new language (and a much harder one to learn).

He also said that he was selected as captain by his colleagues, who couldn't care any less where he's from, and whether or not he speaks French. So again, there is no need for him to learn it.

Well, it's also easy to act lazy when you're finding excuses.

Gainey seemed to have a different idea about that when he was captain. And his summers we're much shorter than Koivu's. ;)

Gainey seemed to have a different idea about that when he was captain. And his summers we're much shorter than Koivu's. ;)

Gainey played for Montreal during the height of the Trudeau bilingual era. It was the thing to do and 'self-expected' by anglophones to learn French then. This is no longer the case. Now, it's only the 'politically correct' to do so... not a self-motivated thing to do.

The best and only argument that is necessary in this language issue is that, as Koivu said, he was voted captain by his fellow players - francosaurs, too bad.

(by the way, my given name is Joseph-Émile Michel... - I'm very much a Québec-born francophone) :que:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY. ARGH :angry2:

I want to know who asked Koivu these stupid questions. His status is not 100% confirmed as to his health, and these morons ask him about a language issue? SUCKS

Does the french media wish to destroy the Habs?

by morons: who do you refer to ??

I'd like to know how many french papers do you read or how many french radio stations do you listen to ??

why would french media want to destroy the habs, like the english media are always nice!??

.think before you write!!

I'd think that if you had a decent hockey team and the star player didn't show interess in learning english, you'd probably be fu$&? pissed off.

Simple answer is: he doesn't have to. Period. All he HAS to do is play hockey...there is no 'must speak french' clause in his contract. Furthermore, I'd think less of him if he kowtowed to the French media and started struggling through interviews in French. This politically correct BS really aggravates me!

I'd think that if you had a decent hockey team and the star player didn't show interess in learning english, you'd probably be fu$&? pissed off.

Nope...if the Habs aquired a guy who exclusively spoke only his native language (for argument's sake, we'll say Czech) who refused to learn English...but...went out and played like a star night in and night out, I wouldn't care. If he could score 50, I'd worship the ground he walked on even if I never understood a single word that came out of his mouth.

Not to find more excuses for Koivu, but Bob Gainey is Canadian - theoretically a bilingual country, and he perhaps even already knew some very basic French - and he played for Montreal at a time when players were not treated like cattle; Gainey knew he would most likely stay in Montreal for a long time while Koivu, until recently, knew he could have been traded anytime without any notice. However, Montreal has just shown him a great deal of confidence, and Koivu might very well now finish his career in Montreal; perhaps he will now feel like learning a new language...

While I'm sure Mr. Koivu has learned some basic, 101 level french (just by living in the city for this long you figure he can order a steamie), I dont necessarily follow your premise.

I am to understand that Hideki Matsui cannot speak more than the most basic english and the club definitely provides him with a translator. I do not believe that he does any english interviews. I am a Red Sox fan and I even like the guy... he plays right.

In baseball there are tons of guys from latin america or asia who basically are unable to communicate in english, no biggie.

Yao Ming supposedly speaks english relatively well for a lifelong chinese national and to the best of my knowledge he still uses a translator for most public appearances.

Of course, as speakers of the dominant international language and the dominant continental language, anglophones are going to be far less sensitive to this issue, especially when not in quebec.

As far as I'm concerned, Koivu can speak in whatever language he is most comfortable as long as he can perform his duties. Of course, part of his duties is to speak to the media... There is somewhat of a difference between expecting a canadian to learn french as opposed to a finn.

the Canoe report on this has been removed from the website, anyone have a link or something?

A small one, Mr Gainey referring to it :

Un été chargé pour Gainey

Gainey: "Saku should spend some more time with his wife. She speaks french."

This is idiotic.

So what if Saku Koivu speaks some french? I think it's good enough that he took classes in french. That says something about Koivu as a person. He want's to adapt and learn the culture and language.

There's a whole different story to speak french with media. Just imagine how many missunderstandings there's room for.

The alternative captain could be french-speaking just to please the press, but captaincy will never be about wich language one speaks.

I'm suddenly reminded of Vladimir Guerrero, who couldn't speak a single word of English or French, but Montreal sure embraced the guy when he was putting up 40 homers. (yes, I know that's only baseball and it's a weak analogy, but it just goes to show what can happen when players perform very well.)

"t is, however, time Koivu learned a little French - enough so that the next time he is ambushed by the likes of Charles Faribault, he can tell him to "go play in the traffic" in the language of Moliere."

LOL

Well, it IS worth considering how Maples Leafs fans would feel if Sundin could only speak Swedish and couldn't answer interview questions, or if the captain of the Calgary Flames could only speak Russian, or Jagr could only speak Czech, or whatever. Probably many fans would feel a bit irritated and a bit distanced from that player. I can understand that, and I think 'anglos' should try to put themselves in the place of francophone fans on this.

At the same time, making a *huge* issue out of it and questioning Koivu's leadership, as the French press did repeatedly this season, is ridiculous.

Win, of course, and all of this goes poof.

English is language of the world.

Whom speaks french?

France, Quebec and the former colonies in Africa.

But in all thoose countries, except France English is the second language.

Realize that Saku Koive allready isn't talking his mother tounge when he speaks english. It's not even his SECOND language but his third or fourth if he took german at school.

And aren't journalist in Quebec at home with both english and french? Can't they just translate themself?

Well, it IS worth considering how Maples Leafs fans would feel if Sundin could only speak Swedish and couldn't answer interview questions, or if the captain of the Calgary Flames could only speak Russian, or Jagr could only speak Czech, or whatever. Probably many fans would feel a bit irritated and a bit distanced from that player. I can understand that, and I think 'anglos' should try to put themselves in the place of francophone fans on this.

At the same time, making a *huge* issue out of it and questioning Koivu's leadership, as the French press did repeatedly this season, is ridiculous.

Win, of course, and all of this goes poof.

Take your Sundin example, if Toronto was english speaking and swedish speaking would it be a big deal if he only spoke swedish?

Quebec and Canada are multilingual and multicultural, even if Quebec doesn't like it.

Koivu speaks 3 languages does he really need 4?

This issue divides us, it is all it does. :angry:

"Morons" are the people who asked the questions. They do not include anyone else. I meant nothing social about it. I was directly angry at the reporters.

Trust me on this; Vive le Quebec.

I wouldn't be so irate about it had it happened in the regular season when Koivu was playing badly. But, he's down and out with a still questionable eye injury. Why ask him that at that time? I don't get it.

It's just not classy right now. That's all.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Koivu told Jack Todd that he understands a little French but not enough to have a conversation. Gainey also pointed out that Koivu's wife, Hannah, speaks "excellent" French.

Koivu told Jack Todd that he understands a little French but not enough to have a conversation. Gainey also pointed out that Koivu's wife, Hannah, speaks "excellent" French.

Name her captain. After all Saku went through, she must have developped good motivational and leadership skills.

;)

Simple answer is: he doesn't have to. Period. All he HAS to do is play hockey...there is no 'must speak french' clause in his contract. Furthermore, I'd think less of him if he kowtowed to the French media and started struggling through interviews in French. This politically correct BS really aggravates me!

Its not "politically correct", its just reality.

You dont get harassed about not being able to do something if you know how to do it. So you either chose to live with the harassment or do something that'll make it stop.

Look at it this way: what if your mother-in-law constantly harassed you for not inviting her for dinner? You dont have to invite her for dinner. Your girlfriend didnt make you her boyfriend because you were inviting her mom for dinner. But you're stuck with your mother-in-law, like it or not, and if you can't put up with the harassment, get to cooking.

wow the top four discussions on the HW board are now all about french.

Maybe someone at the Société de la langue française website knows whether Habs will sign a powerforward this summer????