Toughness

HABZRULE

I know I post alot about the need for toughness on the Habs. Am I the only one who feels we are a weaker team than last year-no Simpson,Vandy,Ivanans. Downey is ok but don't you think that a certified heavy weight is needed. I know that fighting is down but let's be honest, there are games that we get pushed around with nobody to stop it. We don't want guys like Souray in the box. Just looking to see what others feel! :hlogo:

I know I post alot about the need for toughness on the Habs. Am I the only one who feels we are a weaker team than last year-no Simpson,Vandy,Ivanans. Downey is ok but don't you think that a certified heavy weight is needed. I know that fighting is down but let's be honest, there are games that we get pushed around with nobody to stop it. We don't want guys like Souray in the box. Just looking to see what others feel! :hlogo:

None of those players actually played that much for the Habs. If you're worried about the Bulldogs, it would be a different story. Souray, and to some extent Rivet, still mix it up when the need arises. Even Kovalev leveled Tucker (I think) in the playoffs and got a little rough. It's looking like the days of the pure goon are pretty much numbered at this point. The Habs haven't had a pure goon in a while, and I don't think they need one.

And hi everyone!

Oh yes! We're a MUCH weaker team than last year... :unsure:

Simpson played six games and got 14 PIM while Ivannans played four games and got 9 PIM.

That's TEN games out of 82. I'm sure we'll be fine.

We are a little soft with guys like Koivu, Samsonov and Ribeiro up front, with bad reputations. Ryder, Perezhogin and Kovalev aren't exactly grinders either. But I don't think we're desperate for toughness nor should any team be. We have speed. Yes tere are guys out there who can nail you... but they'll have to catch you first!

I dont think we need fighting toughness per se, but I'm worried about our lack of size and grit on the first 2 (maybe 3) lines. Zednick has sucked recently, but he still was strong on the puck and looked better in the playoffs (if only he could finish...).

Less of a concern during the year. Big concern during playoffs.

Toughness in the form of a power forward.

I don't really think we need a big fighter or anything. Instead, get revenge by scoring goals. Something like that.

I don't really think we need a big fighter or anything. Instead, get revenge by scoring goals. Something like that.

hence the Anson Carter thing that I was thinking :unsure:

but I like carter he's cool he's got dreads

Guillaume 'Tenderness', PLEASE pull one out of the hat and earn a spot in the lineup. Even if only periodically.

I think that the Habs are tougher than last year.

Mike Johnson uses his frame wll. He's not a soft player. We lost an european and added an american. That often mean that the team get's tougher.

Mike Komisarek are getting better and better and tackles from defenders comes when they are right positioned. Mike Komisarek has just started...

They lost Peter "Who" Vandermeer and Ratis Ivanans? So? What did they do last season? Im sure that there's no other player in the NHL that remember them. Todd Simpson? Some playoff toughness that can be found again at the trading deadline.

And then there's Downey, Begin and Murray. Thing wiil be fine and remember that it's not the size that kills, it's the speed.

I didn't say that Mike Johnson is a hit-machine. I said that he's tougher than Zednik. (And Bulis).

Have any of you ever seen Mike Johnson being pushed around?

Me neither, but I have seen Jan Bulis on the Canadiens third line...

I said in another thread that we needed to ditch some of the weaker Euros for tougher Canadians, and Bob went and did it. :D

The Habs are without doubt a tougher team after Bobs recent actions. Sure, Johnson isnt the bigest toughest guy in the NHL, @ HT: 6-2 WT: 201 but he is stronger than Zed.

Samsonov isnt Canadian, but although he is small, he isnt whimpy @ HT: 5-8 WT: 194. Zed has 5" on Samsonov, but only weighs 2 lbs more than Samsonov. :huh: Samsonov is probably 1 of the most muscular Habs. I'm basically 5'8, and I weigh about 180, and I'm a bit over wieght, so he's got almost 25 lbs of solid muscle on me. :blink: St Louis stats claim he is 5'9" and 185 lbs, and St Louis is definitely tough for his size, and Samsonov is even smaller, and weighs more, but costs basically 1/2 the price. B) Its just to bad Samsonov isnt French. :lol:

the real quetion should be: do we have enough players that are willing to pay the price..like blocking shots etc...

the answer is NO but this issue will be adressed by carbonneau

No this team does not need a goon.

NO this team does not need to get tougher.

With Murray, Downey, Rivet, Souray, Komisarek, Begin, Bouillon and Kovalev's elbow this team has some grit as well as fighting ability and no one player would be expected to carry the load physically and also none of the above mention players is one dimensional.

Physically Montreal is fine. Besides the more physical you are, the more chance you are of taking penalties in the new NHL. With Kovalev, Samsonov, Ryder, Koivu, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Souray and Markov Montreal should be taking advantage of the PP's, not taking stupid penalties.

Montreal dont need more Goon's player or only big player's to shake it up... look at wath Montreal did last year , they didn't have any goon's for almost all season but they add some player that are hard on puck.

I Think that in the new Nhl goon's don't have theire place anymore, even the size dont really matter's anymore cause the little player's are often hard on puck. The New "goon's" in the "New" league are only player's hard on puck that wen it's time they can pull a fight out without taking stupid penalty because they are to slow

Begin is 5-11, 195 lbs and tough as nails. Bouillon is even smaller and just as tough.

What was the saying again? Its not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.

Montreal dont need more Goon's player or only big player's to shake it up...

I disagree with some of what you say.

The Habs did need more size and toughess, and they have acheived it thus far. :D

look at wath Montreal did last year , they didn't have any goon's for almost all season but they add some player that are hard on puck.

Exactly, look at what happened. Habs kicked ass in the 1st 2 games, then Cannes just over powered them physically. At times I almost think the Habs should get Lemiuex out of retirement. I've at least seen Mario get in a fight when somebody cheap shots his goalie, or 1 of his highly talented teamates. :P

The Cannes cheezed their way all the way to the Cup by running into their oppenents goalies. At no time did the Habs really do much about it, and thats a huge problem. Am I the only 1 who remembers the huge pre game brawl back in the playoffs the 1 year they won the Cup when the Habs net was disrespected? At the 1st sign of something like that, somebody has to beat it into the oppositions head that further actions like that simply wont be tolerated, or else. If you show them, they will learn. ;)

If you dont show them, they will simply keep doing it. :angry2:

Also, am I the only 1 who saw Ryder basically get strong armed over to kiss his skates and held there in the final 2 minutes of 1 of their last games? Do you honestly beleive Ryder was trying to draw a penalty? Or was Ryder just to weak to stop the Cannes D from doing that to him? :unsure: In the new NHL, strength is still allowed, and required. Also, not all penalties get called, there were a tonne of non called interference penalties. :rolleyes:

The Cannes used a neat new defensive idea too. Simply knock over your oppostitions forwards in front of your own net. It reduces their chances to score because: 1) they have 1 less shooter, 2) 1 less person to pass to, 3) the shooter now has 1 of his own limeates blocking his own shot. :o

Edited by Sir_Boagalott