Islanders Need A New Gm

MAK

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was LaFontaine's position there? Assistant coach?

I don't blame him, I'd get the hell out of there while I still could.

Senior advisor I think. Sounds more like Director of Player Personnel or Scout.

It doesn't matter. LaFontaine would have really helped them.

Spade is a spade!

Wang is a Wang!

:wacko:

What is with Wang anyways? does he have any previous experience owning a pro sport club? I have no idea about this guy so I cant judge .... But me thinks Lafontaine got pretty sick to the ears after a pull like that? you gotta have alot of conviction and belief in a second goalie to make him GM and at the same time slap the whole directive with that move! this is almost like a Auto Coup d'etat!

This Wang character seems like a pretty shady fellow...

Charles Wang's career as CEO of Computer Associates was marked with controversy. In 2000 a class-action lawsuit accused Wang, then president Sanjay Kumar and co-founder Russell Artzt of wrongly reporting more than $500 million in revenue in its 1998 and 1999 fiscal years, in order to artificially inflate the stock price. A previous stock option set in 1995 specified that a certain number of shares would vest when CA's shares sustained a target price. The benchmark was met in 1998, and the three executives combined received nearly $1 billion in CA stock. Since then, at least four other class-action suits have been filed against CA, all of which have named Wang specifically.

A Forbes article investigated why certain NHL franchises could remain profitable despite poor attendance and overall league unprofitability. They found that several league owners underreported their cable broadcast revenue; they specifically accused Wang of excluding half of the $17 million paid to the Islanders for the 2003 cable broadcast season.

Charles Wang's career as CEO of Computer Associates was marked with controversy. In 2000 a class-action lawsuit accused Wang, then president Sanjay Kumar and co-founder Russell Artzt of wrongly reporting more than $500 million in revenue in its 1998 and 1999 fiscal years, in order to artificially inflate the stock price. A previous stock option set in 1995 specified that a certain number of shares would vest when CA's shares sustained a target price. The benchmark was met in 1998, and the three executives combined received nearly $1 billion in CA stock. Since then, at least four other class-action suits have been filed against CA, all of which have named Wang specifically.

A Forbes article investigated why certain NHL franchises could remain profitable despite poor attendance and overall league unprofitability. They found that several league owners underreported their cable broadcast revenue; they specifically accused Wang of excluding half of the $17 million paid to the Islanders for the 2003 cable broadcast season.

Fat cat Wang wants to "run the Islanders like a business". I'll infer he's transplanted a corporate style his past work demonstrates.

Wang wouldn't call it accurate to say that Neil Smith was fired, or that Pat LaFontaine resigned. There was a mere reallocation of senior management's bonus resources.

Edited by MCeh

I just have to place this into another perspective.

Imagine this:

The Montreal Canadiens have decided it is time for a fresh new face.

The team announced on Tuesday that they have fired GM Bob Gainey and hired former Canadiens goaltender Roland Melanson as the new general manager.

"I spoke with Roland at length throughout the spring in secret meetings about the general manager's position and he really impressed me with his passion and his knowledge," said Canadiens owner George N. Gillett Jr.

"When the job opened up, the choice was an easy one. Roland knows the league as well as anyone, has an eye for talent and understands how our staff works as a team. Most importantly, Roland is a man of integrity, someone I trust will work hard, be creative and represent the Canadiens with dignity."

In related news, assistant coaches Kirk Muller and Doug Jarvis advised Canadiens owner George N. Gillett Jr. on Tuesday night that they were resigning, a source told The Canadian Press.

I suppose you could do this with any team but it really puts it into perspective. :P

Morons!

Imagine this:

The team announced on Tuesday that they have fired GM Bob Gainey and hired former Canadiens goaltender Roland Melanson as the new general manager.

"I spoke with Roland at length throughout the spring in secret meetings about the general manager's position and he really impressed me with his passion and his knowledge," said Canadiens owner George N. Gillett Jr.

"When the job opened up, the choice was an easy one. Roland knows the league as well as anyone, has an eye for talent and understands how our staff works as a team. Most importantly, Roland is a man of integrity, someone I trust will work hard, be creative and represent the Canadiens with dignity."

In related news, assistant coaches Kirk Muller and Doug Jarvis advised Canadiens owner George N. Gillett Jr. on Tuesday night that they were resigning, a source told The Canadian Press.

I suppose you could do this with any team but it really puts it into perspective. :P

Morons!

If you want it to be really weird, replace Rolanson with Ribiero...

DAMN it... I am a part time goalie in a beer league... if only I wore my Islanders jersey instead, I'd have a sweet job being a corporate lap dog in the NHL... ;)

Imagine this:

Morons!

Actually, the above scenario reminds me eerily of the 1995 firing of Serge Savard and Jacques Demers.

Out comes Ronald Corey to address the excited media hordes: 'Good morning. Today is a great day in the history of the Montreal Canadiens. With sadness, I have decided to replace a two-time Cup winning GM and a Cup winning coach with a beer company shill who hasn't been directly involved in the game for 15 years, Rejean Houle. and a clownish media buffoon with no prior coaching experience at any level, Mario Tremblay. The choice was an easy one. Reggie used to be a good role player on the team back in the day and has a great $5 haircut. Most importantly, he is a man of integrity, someone I trust will work hard, be creative and represent the Canadiens with dignity. As for Mario, I have full confidence that he will live up to his nickname, the Blueberry, and yell at Patrick Roy until he's blue in the face, enabling us to make a great trade for Andrei Kovalenko and Martin Ruscinsky and Jocelyn Thibault.'

The horror. The horror. :puke:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Hey Gang,

Check this out.. from Sportsnet. great read.

"...Everyone knew coming in that this (Wang's decisions to hire people separately and report directly to him) was different," Nolan said. "I thought it was different, but felt I could work in a setup like that. I still do..."

Sounds like Wang hired Nolan and Pat. and Smith, and wanted them all to report directly to Wang.

IMO. Owners should own and let management, do what they were hired to do Manage.

Wang's model for running the islanders will back fire on him. Pat and Smith leaving is just the beginning. I feel sorry for Ted. He's a good coach a players coach. I hope he doesn't get shafted again.

full article.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.j...718_232536_4100

Edited by Chips

Well that should statisfy all you doubters. Garth Snow is a good judge of talent!

IMO: NHL should introduce MAJOR fines when and if this :monkey: business ever pops up again. Sort of like a fan protection. That is, if you're stupid enough to hire Smith in the 1st place and cause this contastrophy, the owner should be liable.

Maybe people like Charles Wang would think twice about RUINING a club next time.

Just some supplementary background on Garth Snow :)

In Wang's business model, this might represent part of the Christmas bonus.

Picture - 1

Picture - 2

Haha ... you should post those on the islanders website boards ... and put " your new GM hard at work getting himself and maybe the team ready for they're stanley cup run " :1special:

Haha ... you should post those on the islanders website boards ... and put " your new GM hard at work getting himself and maybe the team ready for they're stanley cup run " :1special:

I wonder what his wife thought, if she's not one in the photo'd harem.

- - - - -

Excerpts from a Sports Illustrated piece on Mr. Snow re:...

- players' salaries: "I think they're all overpaid," he said.

- his qualifications: "I'm not as inexperienced as you think," said Snow, who will turn 37 later this month. "I've watched a lot of hockey the past few years and probably from the best seat in the house. [...] As sad as it may be, I have a copy of the CBA and I read it in my spare time."

Edited by MCeh

- players' salaries: "I think they're all overpaid," he said.

«and the goalie equipment is way too small...it's a good thing I'm not playing anymore!!»

After first getting Wang's permission, Garth "I-think-they're-all-overpaid" Snow might allow himself to think the payroll doesn't look good.

"Business" is about vigilant cost reduction -- a fire sale could be in the horizon as the Islanders circus ensues.

Denis Potvin might know a thing or two about dignified conduct. His take on the current Islanders organization...

La Presse article entitled, "Denis Potvin in Disbelief":

"[...] Mr. Wang's only explanation for hiring Garth Snow: Snow had, in the past, expressed interest in the job [as general manager]. Isn't that a little odd?"

Though Wang insists on the contrary, that he wants complete control of his ship is perhaps part of the [real] explanation.

"At Neil Smith's layoff, Mr. Wang 'validated' his decision by citing philosophical differences," recalls Potvin, who goes on to say he better understood what was really going on when Pat LaFontaine resigned as chief consultant.

"It's clear Mr. Wang didn't put into practice the teamwork he advocates. LaFontaine was no doubt shocked by what was transpiring. That's why he left," discerns the former all-star defenseman.

While he speaks of his former team's state of affairs with a sense of desolation, Denis Potvin maintains he's now part of the Panthers family.

"For me, the Islanders are just a memory. Besides, I prefer to remember our good times rather than what's happened [to the Islanders] these last 10 years," he concludes.

Edited by MCeh