Koivu May Not Be Ready For New Season

MAK

OK, what I'll say might come off as crazy for most, but I'll just say it:

That's good news.

Bare with me here. I'm saying it "good news" as in a "its a bad news that can be turned into a long term positive"

Habs have to learn how to live without Saku. More specifically: Habs have to prepare for the after-Saku. He's got 2 years left on his contract and God knows what will happen afterwards. Maybe he'll want to go play with his brother for a year or two before hanging them up.

Habs have to look toward the future, which is further down the road than just 2 years from now. And considering that Saku is barely 1st C level right now; and hardly 1st C material as he ages and slows down; having him on the sidelines for the start of the season might be a blessing in disguise.

It'll thrust other C's (mainly Ribeiro and Plekanec) up the charts and give them an opportunity to have more responsabilities. It'll also force Higgins and Ryder to take more charge and not depend so much on Saku. It should also force the vets to take more responsabilities and assume more in-game leadership.

People have to realize: the bulk of the Habs' talent base has been drafted in the past couple of years. This franchise is built to peak in 4, 5 years from now. Saku, as well as most guys over 30 on that team, arent part of that equation. Its critical that the kids grow up in a winning environment and having Saku on board can only help; however being stuck in a situation where he's missing a the beginning of the season can have positive side-effects.

People have to realize: the bulk of the Habs' talent base has been drafted in the past couple of years. This franchise is built to peak in 4, 5 years from now. Saku, as well as most guys over 30 on that team, arent part of that equation. Its critical that the kids grow up in a winning environment and having Saku on board can only help; however being stuck in a situation where he's missing a the beginning of the season can have positive side-effects.

thanks to andre savard and trevor timmins. We will be an elite team in a couple of year but we need elite scoring in our prospects... I can see timmins go for higher risks/ higher reward kind of prospect.

As for the koivu situation, I think it's time for a kid or kids to step up. I see higgins and plekanec take the next step and a guy like kostitsyn really take the place he had last year.

With Koivu out, I'd like to see Plekanec between Higgins and Ryder. Because in a couple of years from now I think Higgins & Plekanec will be together for some years, possibly with Latendresse or Kostitsyn on their RW.

I'm guessing Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev will stick together. Ribs job will simply be to feed Samsonov and Kovalev.

If Plex gets a promotion on a scoring line with Higgins & Ryder, I imagine Begin-Bonk-Johnson will be used as the 3rd line. Then you're left with a bunch of kids fighting for a 4th line job. Murray, Lapierre, Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Chipchura, Ferland, Downey all have a realistic shot (I think Latendresse needs another year in juniors). Could be something nice to watch. I'd go for something like Murray-Lapierre-Kostitsyn. Nice blend of grit, speed and skills. I'd prefer Chips to get more top-line ice-time in the AHL now than have him play 5 mins on the 4th line.

The pessimism may be premature, if Hickey knows what he's talking about:

PAT HICKEY

The Gazette; CanWest News Service contributed to this report

Saturday, August 05, 2006

The Canadiens will start the season without defenceman Francis Bouillon.

Bouillon, who received a hefty raise this summer, underwent knee surgery in Vail, Colo., on Wednesday and won't be able to play until the first week of November. Dr. Richard Steadman, the orthopedic surgeon who replaced team owner George Gillett's knees last winter, removed scar tissue from Bouillon's left knee. The defenceman complained of pain in the joint when he resumed skating last week. He will return to Montreal tomorrow to begin a rehabilitation program.

Because he will miss only about a dozen games, the Canadiens aren't expected to make any drastic moves to replace Bouillon. The injury will give holdover Mark Streit and prospect Jean-Philippe Cote a chance to see more ice time.

Streit was having knee problems of his own when the season ended, but a Canadiens' spokesman said the Swiss defenceman has recovered from tendinitis.

In other medical news, the Canadiens said they expect forwards Michael Ryder and Saku Koivu to be healthy when training camp opens in mid-September. Ryder is home in Newfoundland where he is receiving treatment for a troublesome disc in his back, while the team is expecting an update next week on Koivu, whose sight is improving after he took a stick in his left eye during the playoffs.

The pessimism may be premature, if Hickey knows what he's talking about:

Saku Koivu to be healthy when training camp opens in mid-September. Ryder is home in Newfoundland where he is receiving treatment for a troublesome disc in his back, while the team is expecting an update next week on Koivu, whose sight is improving after he took a stick in his left eye during the playoffs.[/b]

happy-face-happyface-smiley-300x300.gif

Good updates make saturdays better :)

I hope Saks is back for the beginning of the year. Despite what some may say, he is an integral part of the team.. now and in the future... The younguns will grow better as a result of his skill, experience and leadership, and he will be the captain when the Habs finally hoist the Cup again...

PS. I still hate Justin Williams.

Streit was having knee problems of his own when the season ended, but a Canadiens' spokesman said the Swiss defenceman has recovered from tendinitis.

In other medical news, the Canadiens said they expect forwards Michael Ryder and Saku Koivu to be healthy when training camp opens in mid-September. Ryder is home in Newfoundland where he is receiving treatment for a troublesome disc in his back, while the team is expecting an update next week on Koivu, whose sight is improving after he took a stick in his left eye during the playoffs.

These are good news - so in the end only Bouiloon would miss the season opener due to rehabilitation. :)

Great to here he will be at training camp, and also we need koivu there, there arn't so many players that are so passionit for the game and gives him of his own to show rookies tips and pointers. Koivu is a HUGE part of this team. True we have to learn to play with out him in the line up but i can say the same thing about Markov...

that is THE MOST AWSOM NEWS in a VERY VERY BAD WEEK of worthy news,

I WISH SAKU A REAL FAST AND PROPER RECOVERY,

the SAME GOES FOR FRANKIE may the gods of hockey injury rehab be the most kind to them and in turn I will never dought that they exist like that year we had like 500 games missed due to injurys by various players.

go :hlogo: go!!!

Not to be a pessimist, but I think I'd want to wait on that update before celebrating Saku's return. The Canadiens might expect him back, but they may know as little as us.

I really hope he'll be back though...

Im hoping we will have Saku until he retires. Id like him as a Larionov on the 3rd line C when he gets older like Detroit had. But I guess its all up to Saku himself to decide what he wants. If he isnt better than a 3rd-line C for us in 2-3 years then he has to go down alot in salary.

When I started reading this post my heart sanked! The thought of loosing Koivu was disheartening. Mind you I too felt it could become reality; And similar to KoZed have been quite resolved with the fact that this would give us more ice time for our prospects, as they are very worthy of the opportunity.

Then as I read on I am happy again with thoughts of having Koivu back in the lineup.

This exercise in up and down emotions has been one that I've come to understand only too well. I think that we need to be realistic, this coming season will not be injury free. As a result we will see prospects join us and hopefully contribute well.

I've said this many times before, IF we have a longer delay or loss of a key part of our chemistry; lets assume we loose Koivu. Our top center and playmaker; then expect BG to pull the trigger on a big trade for that #1 center, especially since it would be unfair to put the burden of a #1 center on a rookie.

I've said this many times before, IF we have a longer delay or loss of a key part of our chemistry; lets assume we loose Koivu. Our top center and playmaker; then expect BG to pull the trigger on a big trade for that #1 center, especially since it would be unfair to put the burden of a #1 center on a rookie.

he won't do anything unless he's sure that koivu won't come back this season.

although he's our number one center, he's not the center of the 1st line, its ribeiro...if saks misses the beggining of the season and ribs come out flat, expect a trade.

somehow, I have a feeling that if koivu's not ready on time, we could see higgins or johnson as our 2nd C and kostitsyn on a scoring line.

I hope that koivu recovers to the fullest as fast as posible but i'm not as optimistic as you guys(and girls) are.

lets face it, koivu can't even skate, let alone lift weights or do some cycling due to the pressure in his eye.

It'll take a while before he's in game shape and if he rushes is recovery, he could be bound for a serious knee injury. I'd rather see an 100% ready koivu in november or december than a 80% in october. he would be missed but it's time for our young players to show what they're made of.

Great to here he will be at training camp, and also we need koivu there, there arn't so many players that are so passionit for the game and gives him of his own to show rookies tips and pointers. Koivu is a HUGE part of this team. True we have to learn to play with out him in the line up but i can say the same thing about Markov...

The difference with Markov is that the Habs dont have anyone remotely close to his talent level on defense.; and Markov's the only D that's PP-worthy. No other Habs D can effectively play the point at the PP, except maybe Streit, who still might need some adaptation to the NHL. That's why Markov's so vital to Montreal.

Speaking of which: I hope Carbo & Co. gives Komisarek a chance to see some time on the 2nd-wave PP. Komi got an underrated shot. Its heavy and usually on target. His wrister is especially a good one.

The difference with Markov is that the Habs dont have anyone remotely close to his talent level on defense.; and Markov's the only D that's PP-worthy. No other Habs D can effectively play the point at the PP, except maybe Streit, who still might need some adaptation to the NHL.

Haha, IMO Souray's one redeeming quality is his PP minutes.

Haha, IMO Souray's one redeeming quality is his PP minutes.

He's OK... but he's on the PP for his shot alone. Its way too predictable. If he's covered, he not more useful than any of the other D-men.

He's OK... but he's on the PP for his shot alone. Its way too predictable. If he's covered, he not more useful than any of the other D-men.

perhaps he's covered but if he moved a little more he could brake the defensive box and thats when you get your chances on PP.

he may be predictable but when he's in position to drill one, I wouldn't want to be the defender that b;loks the shot with his ankle.

he won't do anything unless he's sure that koivu won't come back this season.

although he's our number one center, he's not the center of the 1st line, its ribeiro...if saks misses the beggining of the season and ribs come out flat, expect a trade.

somehow, I have a feeling that if koivu's not ready on time, we could see higgins or johnson as our 2nd C and kostitsyn on a scoring line.

I hope that koivu recovers to the fullest as fast as posible but i'm not as optimistic as you guys(and girls) are.

lets face it, koivu can't even skate, let alone lift weights or do some cycling due to the pressure in his eye.

It'll take a while before he's in game shape and if he rushes is recovery, he could be bound for a serious knee injury. I'd rather see an 100% ready koivu in november or december than a 80% in october. he would be missed but it's time for our young players to show what they're made of.

Yes, If Ribs steps up and performs then I'd call them our # one line. I too would like to see Johnson play center again. And see our prospects excel with NHL time.

The only troubling complication is that if we do give too much ice time to our prospects, don't they need to clear waivers to head back to the AHL? If so don't expect a rookie to replace longer term injuries. And I'm ready for the next well (high) paid scoring, playmaking #1 center who will be BG's next big trade. :D

http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/210066.html

Great just what we needed..who's next ?!!

seriously I think that koivu will be missed come opening night but it's time to kids to show they're ready for prime time hockey.

get well soon saku

You go with what you got.

Our team won't be the only one who suffers from injurered players or leaders (ie: Flyers & Forsberg).

:king: :hlogo: :king:

The same could be said of Mcabe in Toronto, but I don't hear their fans bitching about him.....

The same could be said of Mcabe in Toronto, but I don't hear their fans bitching about him.....

Leaf Fans find MANY other things to bitch about... :D

Oh, but they do. When everyone was waiting for him to sign the big contract, many Leafs fans were hoping that he wouldn't.