Islanders Sign Dipietro

Leafs Suck

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this was Snow's fault or idea ... on TSN's article is was mentioned that they tried to do the 15 year deal after the lockout but couldn't get the insurance set so they signed him to a 1yr deal ... now Snow wasn't the GM then it was Mad Mike ... so it's WANG doing this ... someone who has no idea how to run a sports franchise !!

He may be a patsy for Wang, but any player signing falls directly on the GM because that's his job. Neil Smith was probably put in this same situation and he ran. Good for him. No way you can let Snow out of this one. This is an insane instance of "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!!!" and Garth Snow, whether he likes the idea or not, whether he came up with it or not, is the GM and his job is to sign players. He can't be excused from responsibility because he's a puppet.

He may be a patsy for Wang, but any player signing falls directly on the GM because that's his job. Neil Smith was probably put in this same situation and he ran. Good for him. No way you can let Snow out of this one. This is an insane instance of "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!!!" and Garth Snow, whether he likes the idea or not, whether he came up with it or not, is the GM and his job is to sign players. He can't be excused from responsibility because he's a puppet.

True , But if Snow wants to keep his job he'll do anything Wang tells him too ( look what happened to Smith when he said no ) ... If he said do it then he did it ... if Snow said no then he'd be out of a job too and its not like other teams are drooling over each other to get Snow as they're GM

From what i've been reading is Wang took over this negotiation from Snow.

:blink:

*checks link again*

*assures did'nt make a mistake*

Wow, 67 million for a player who has yet to do anything spectacular. I'd say that deal is 14 years too long. And what happens when he is too old around 35-37. He still will have years left on his contract. Wow, well their certainly is a team concept on NY, and it's called team Wang.

And the Gong Show continues :puke:

Messages lost. I tried to merge the 2 threads about the Dipietro signing but one of the 2 was lost. Sorry about that.

:lol:

Check the date of Leafs Suck's topic. They tried to do the EXACT same thing a year ago, I just bumped it as a joke.

LOL! These threads shouldn't be megred, one was a rumor from a year ago, this is the real deal.

Yeah, I just realized that lol

That's freak!

So it means that unbelievable crazy non-sense rumours can concretize, but 1 year later haha

So next time we hear a crazy rumour, we only have to say "Maybe next year" (??!) or "Maybe next year in Wang's land" or "Wang's know"

Sorry bud ;)

I just read the first topic and had a CRAAAZY sense of deja vu. Lo and behold, there is the other topic.

I bet some people are just "What? Leafs Sucks is back? Whaaaaat!?"

Yeah, was surprise to see his name. Should have check the date hehe. Wouldn't have guess they made the same offer last year. Didn't remember the rumour.

Way too many goalie eggs in one basket IMO. 5 year deals make more sense. And, he certainly hasn't earned this yet. In the THN yearbook he is criticised for not showing up yet. Cam Ward has. The traded player Luongo has emerged. So, the Isles sign for 4.5 at an eternity on the eve of his make or break and prove yourself season? Yikes.

And, consider this. Aebischer & Biron are some names that come to mind right now. In the NHL, what GM would even think of DiPietro as an option when these 2 names are easier to attain? Next March, it may be 2 other names. But still they will be a better option than DiPietro.

DiPietro is a ball and chain. He'd better fly!

Mad Mikey Luongo trade :wacko:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

K... you have to think about this... were all laughing at Wang for this.... just imagine DiPietro trying to keep a straight face though the negotiations. Enjoy... (are thoughts) "is talking"

Wang: "Well Rick, Im focused on building a team around hear and we'd like you to sign a longer term contract to make it happen...."

Rick: "Sounds good to me" (I still have a few years til UFA)

Wang: "... somewhere in the range of 15 years."

Rick: :blink: ".......(What the ######?!?,.. Is he nuts?).... Well I was looking for something around 4 years at 4.5Million...."

Wang: "Of course, I cant build a team without you making that much to start.... and finish with."

Rick: <_< "(Finish with... like at the end of the 15 years??) :blink: ....... :D ..... Well there would have to be some sort of insurance, I mean its like Im signing my life away to you."

Wang: "Oh of course! Ill have my boys make up a policy for you."

Rick: <Trembling from trying not to laugh> "Well... :blush: ... Ill just have to... ^_^ ... accept your terms.. :P ....."

Wang: :huh: "Well its good to see that you are as happy about this as we are."

Garth looks up from the corner: "Oh yeah. Very happy..... (My reputation is ruined :puke:)

Rick: "Well then, where do I sign? HAHAHAhahahahehe<clears throat>"

Both stand and shake hands with Garth trying to put his in oddly but gives up and sits back in the corner.

Rick leaves...

Wang: "Well then whos next... ah yes send in Viktor.... WEVE GOT A TEAM TO BUILD HERE!"

Garth: "I need to lay down..." <Chugging on a bottle of Pepto Bismal>

:hlogo:

Look at the other side for just a moment:

DiPietro (despite what everyone says) was significantly improving as the year went on, and even if TSN says he hasn't arrived yet, I'd suggest there might be a good chance they just haven't updated that little blurb (then again, what does that little blurb mean). DiP *was* taken first overall, and there was a reason for that. At this point, after his seasons of work, you could never say he was a bust. While he may be inconsistent, he's certainly got plenty of talent and it's entirely possible this year he'll prove his worth.

So what does this mean? DiP may have cut his own throat in the long run. If he becomes as good as he's supposed to be - and at this time there's no reason to believe otherwise - he's going to be an All-Star goalie making a mere $4.5M per year. Since, with the success of the NHL during its first year back from hiatus, there's every reason to believe it's on an upward curve, then that salary might end up being *very* middle of the road. And DiP is now LOCKED in.

It's a calculated risk, for sure, but Wang, above anything else, is a smart businessman. If his information about DiP is correct and this guy becomes the goalie everyone fully expects him to be, then that is an absolute coup for the Isles. Even if his last two or three years are less than stellar, he may very well be one of the best bargains the NHL has ever seen.

I wonder, actually, if this might set a precedent for the future. What if, for instance, the Pens could resign Crosby, when his current deal expires, to a 15-year contract at $6M per? At the outset, he's absolutely overpaid. But over the long haul? That's golden for Pittsburgh not only to have one of the best signed long-term, but to have a guaranteed star face around which they can market the team. One can only suspect that the Isles will be doing much the same with DiP.

The Yashin deal, which has been much bandied about since DiP's deal was announced, was meant to be just that - a marketing and hockey coup. He was supposed to be the face of the Isles and the player around whom the team was built. The only reason that didn't come to pass is because they chose a player who is more interested in $$$ than in hockey. Still, had Yashin matured even after a year or two - or if he matures even now - there's every possibility that the Isles could still look like geniouses in the future.

Think about it: if Yash comes around and finally fulfills his worth, with contracts continually rising, he could become a relatively decent bargain at $8M per (or whatever he's at). All of a sudden the Isles would have two superstars signed for the long-term at salaries that will NEVER rise. That, my friends, is very good business. And sure, it's a risk, and thus far not the best in the case of Yashin, but in the case of Dip at least, it looks like it could very well be a smart risk.

When the upper limit to salaries gets over $10M in the next few years after continued growth in the NHL, DiP, assuming he continues improving, could very well be a complete steal. It's a tough call, for sure, but while the Isles are gambling, they're doing it with a commodity that would seem have the potential to be one of the better ones in the game. Time will only tell if they did the right thing and this immediate knee-jerk negative response may prove to be 100% incorrect down the road.

If nothing else, kudos to the Isles for working on something new in the game. Maybe this is the way to guarantee a little continuity in a sport where lowering UFA ages encourages less loyalty. While it's still early to make any kind of call one way or the other on the deal, it certainly bears more examination than the knee-jerk judgements pouring in right now.

My bad.. i was just trying to make up a funny story.

:hlogo:

Oh, hey, no worries. I thought it was great.

Just thought I'd mention that.

And Colin, when you're not acting like a goof in HWL :P, you're probably the smartest person on this entire board.

Reporters announced that some words were overheard form the negotiations. Among them was this sentence:

Wang: Mr. Bauer DiPietro, you are faw too valuble foh China to lose.

Whether or not DiPietro develops into an All-Star, the Isles have shot themselves in the foot so to speak. It's a gigantic gamble either way you think about it.

At the conclusion of this contract, he will be 40 years old. Chew on that for a while.

It's entirely possible he could decide to stick around and not retire at age 38, 39 or whenever it is that he loses his touch - and he'll have 4.5 million guaranteed reasons to do so.

Yes, it's possible that he might end up playing at a discount - but Martin Brodeur's been doing that for years in New Jersey, much to the consternation of the NHLPA, and definitely without a 15-year contract.