Carter Finally Signs

Mr. Nasty

Leaf fans need to relax if they're agitated. They already got their little gifts with Klee for Suglobov. The Tlusty pick. Kubina, Peca and Gill arrived. Christmas has already come. Raycroft...

Well...if he doesn't cut it'll be a disaster. I'm not sure why they got Raycroft to begin with. Aubin played well. Try it, go with the guy. If things go bad, go with Pogge IMO if you're that desperate. Don't let Rask go for that deal.

Yeah yeah, Ferguson put on a good poker face at the draft talking about how Raycroft is low money and so on, but that was dumb IMO.

Anyway, I doubt Toronto will acquire anyone unless Ferguson can seize the opportunity. The Stajan mess is enough to send out HUGE ALARM BELLS that nothing is going to happen unless it is a trade. Maybe Clarke will come calling :P

And the cap situation in Toronto is not so easy right now.

'Bout time Carter

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

:puke:

Last week MacLean said in an interview that if they couldn't sign Zherdev, he'd look to UFAs like Anson Carter. This is a good indication that MacLean is an idiot and isn't going to sign Zherdev. I was all for him trying to get Zherdev to sign cheap, but not getting Zherdev back in a Jackets uniform is a DEVASTATING loss to the team.

:puke:

Last week MacLean said in an interview that if they couldn't sign Zherdev, he'd look to UFAs like Anson Carter. This is a good indication that MacLean is an idiot and isn't going to sign Zherdev. I was all for him trying to get Zherdev to sign cheap, but not getting Zherdev back in a Jackets uniform is a DEVASTATING loss to the team.

Here we go. How much do you wanna bet that the Zherdev for Stajan rumours start up?

Toronto and all their rumour mill is making me dizzy. For years actually :wacko::P

I am so pissed at both Zherdev and MacLean right now.

Pissed at Zherdev for not signing a 3 year deal worth 6.9 million, which is identical to the offer Lupul and signed, and the two put up nearly identical stats.

Pissed at MacLean for giving Carter 2.5 million, more than he offered Zherdev, and Carter didn't even put up as many points as Zherdev. Hey Doug, Carter doesn't have the potential to score 50 goals. Carter doesn't have the best hands in the league. Carter isn't one of the foundations of the organization. IDIOT!

Pissed at Zherdev for not signing a 3 year deal worth 6.9 million, which is identical to the offer Lupul and signed, and the two put up nearly identical stats.

Pissed at MacLean for giving Carter 2.5 million, more than he offered Zherdev, and Carter didn't even put up as many points as Zherdev. Hey Doug, Carter doesn't have the potential to score 50 goals. Carter doesn't have the best hands in the league. Carter isn't one of the foundations of the organization. IDIOT!

It is sad to see he won't be coming back and I wish him only the best in CLB. He got the money he was looking for and could do well. I find it stupid MacLean would be so strict with Zherdev though. Reminds me something of what Burke would do.....(Umberger).

I disagree Fanpuck33 if my theory of Maclean having the upper hand is true, if not I don't disagree. But MacLean is very crafty. He has a trade if he wants one. And Zherdev will not be traded for nothing.

I think Zherdev will be a Jacket. That's why I used a wacko icon, the rumours will pour in about Zherdev and all Maclean is doing is playing him down in poker.

His agent knows the options are slim. Camp is here!!!

ADVANTAGE MACLEAN IMO

Blue Jackets have his rights. If he wants to play in the NHL he has to earn it with the money too or it's a waste. How much is Crosby going to make next year? Higgins is earning peanuts for 23=15-38 points.

But if Zherdev does sign, what to do with Carter? With Zherdev back, they are totally set for top 4 wingers, with Nash, Modin, Vyborny, and Zherdev. Do they play an average scorer on a defensive 3rd line? Doesn't seem like a good fit to me at all.

Especially at 2.5 million. You don't sign an average defensive player to that much money if you plan to play him on the 3rd line after using him to influence your young stud to sign.

You can bet Zherdev's agent is on MacLean's side on this one, becuase if Nik plays in Russia all year, his agent doesn't get jack.

But if Zherdev does sign, what to do with Carter? With Zherdev back, they are totally set for top 4 wingers, with Nash, Modin, Vyborny, and Zherdev. Do they play an average scorer on a defensive 3rd line? Doesn't seem like a good fit to me at all.

Especially at 2.5 million. You don't sign an average defensive player to that much money if you plan to play him on the 3rd line after using him to influence your young stud to sign.

You can bet Zherdev's agent is on MacLean's side on this one, becuase if Nik plays in Russia all year, his agent doesn't get jack.

The cap number are fine. I think Maclean is a fisherman trying to pull in a strong swordfish.

He did Florida well

I think that the carter signing is a big joke. 2.5M ?? come on. no wonder why he signed so lated. I didn't think that mclean was so desperate.

the good thing is that he basicly told zherdev to F off. let him rot in russia I say

I think that the carter signing is a big joke. 2.5M ?? come on. no wonder why he signed so lated. I didn't think that mclean was so desperate.

the good thing is that he basicly told zherdev to F off. let him rot in russia I say

Maclean is cutting his loses for sure. He's bringing in depth I suppose. Too much money for what the Sedins gave to Carter in stock IMO. Will Zherdev fold & sign I wonder.

Maclean has to be Mr. Hardball I guess or else RFA feeding sharks like Bob Clarke will come around. They still might but when you are the GM, you have the power and if the player is holding out? Use your leverage.

If this signing is, as I fear, MacLean giving up on Zherdev, it's the worst move he's ever made. Zherdev is a special player. His hands are pure magic, among the best in the league, and he's still just 21 years old. He is a special player, and is going to be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL. Jackets are taking a significant step back if Zherdev isn't in uniform this season.

If this signing is, as I fear, MacLean giving up on Zherdev, it's the worst move he's ever made. Zherdev is a special player. His hands are pure magic, among the best in the league, and he's still just 21 years old. He is a special player, and is going to be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL. Jackets are taking a significant step back if Zherdev isn't in uniform this season.

You never know. There may be another problem. Sometimes an organization gets a hint of a problem with a player that not the media nor us will ever know anything about. You never know.

Don't get me wrong here Fanpuck33. The only way Maclean looks good is to win the war or make the trade equal & worthwhile. I'm just saying that Maclean is not going to be pressued especially when off season late signing dollars should be decreasing.

It's true that Maclean did overpay Carter but given the cap numbers; it might just be a message to the Zherdev camp to come around. And, Maclean gets some depth.

It sounds like Zherdev is going home...for now.

firstly, did u guys ever think that maybe mclean has a tight budjet in Colombus?

Secondly, Carter is good defensively, so i really don't think it'll be as devastating as ppl think.

Even with Zherdev, the jackets weren't even close to a playoff team

firstly, did u guys ever think that maybe mclean has a tight budjet in Colombus?

Secondly, Carter is good defensively, so i really don't think it'll be as devastating as ppl think.

What? Not close to a playoff team?

Give them a full season of Rick Nash and we wouldn't of even seen Edmonton's playoff run. And now they've gotten even better, the Blue Jackets are a team to look out for next season?

Don't kid yourself. Over the 2nd half of the season, only 7 teams in the NHL had more wins than the Jackets.

In the offseason, they dumped dead weight such as Radoslav Suchy and Jan Hrdina. Incoming are Fredrik Modin and Gilbert Brule, a consistent scorer and a Calder candidate. They got rid of their goalie controversy and still have solid backups in net. They are improved over last season, and with Zherdev, they will almost certainly be a playoff contender.

If the Jackets could improve their D, it would be better. For some reason i followed the Jackets always more than other teams (except Habs offcourse) I think the goals against always came to easy. If their D was better they had a shot at making the playoffs.

What's Columbus G situation now Fanpuck, i think i missed all that. They have only Leclaire signed? ( i just saw that Denis was traded for Modin), Norrena backup?

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

If the Jackets could improve their D, it would be better. For some reason i followed the Jackets always more than other teams (except Habs offcourse) I think the goals against always came to easy. If their D was better they had a shot at making the playoffs.

What's Columbus G situation now Fanpuck, i think i missed all that. They have only Leclaire signed? ( i just saw that Denis was traded for Modin), Norrena backup?

I think their D is good enough to compete. We all know about Adam Foote. Bryan Berard is like Sheldon Souray, prone to the occasional undressing, but brings a lot to the PP. Duvie Westcott is a very underrated player, similar to Bouillon. Hainsey surprised a lot of people and showed he belongs in the NHL, leading the team in +/- surprisingly enough. Klesla showed last year why he was their first ever draft pick. They lost Suchy, who was the real weak link on D. He is replaced either by youngster Aaron Johnson or veteran Anders Eriksson, who played well in Columbus in the past.

As for the goalie situation, LeClaire is resigned for two years while Denis was traded for Modin. I think this was a great move. LeClaire's SV% and GAA were marginally better than Denis last year, and now he knows he'll be the #1 guy and doesn't have to worry about whether or not he's playing every day. The backup situation has Norrena and Conklin battling for the job. Norrena has been great in Europe and Conklin is a proven NHL backup.

Headline in this morning's Columbus Dispatch: Carter In; Zherdev Out

Zherdev has demanded a trade, MacLean says he will not make any trade involving Zherdev. He appears to be fine with the prospect of Zherdev playing in Russia all year and reopening negotiations next offseason, which is crazy. Does he really think Zherdev will sign next year for any less?

Will be interesting now to see if another team steps in and gives Zherdev an offer sheet. Zherdev would likely accept 2.5 million for one season, but I'm not sure what the compensation would be for such an offer. Two first round picks? Even at that, it would be a great move by a team who can make the playoffs, trading two low picks for a difference maker.

(I tried searching for RFA compensation rules, on the 2nd page, I got the HWL Rules, hehe)