Preseason Game Thread | Leafs Vs. Habs | 09/23/06

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Saks almost another goal.

Sounds like Captain K is back in business! And some people actually dislike him... he's no less than a hero in my view.

Ditto.

No one's posting in the game thread tonight? What gives :(

Wow Koivu is on fire.. amazing moves just now, almost another goal.

If you still have your doubts about Koivu's eye, you're the one who needs to get your eyes checked :)

No one's posting in the game thread tonight? What gives :(

Wow Koivu is on fire.. amazing moves just now, almost another goal.

If you still have your doubts about Koivu's eye, you're the one who needs to get your eyes checked :)

I would post more, but I can't get the radio feed or have RDS, so I'm watching "the Rocket" :D

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

A lot of guys out there playing like they didn't give a damn.

As far as prospects, based on what I saw tonight, Latendresse and Price were the only ones that looked like they could contribute anything to the big club in the immediate future.

The Leafs just played harder for the most part, and that's why they won...period.

Encouraging to see Koivu looking like his old self, and Streit looking really good offensively, but that's about all I took away from this game from a positive standpoint.

I think a few of the younger players made Carbo's next round of cuts much easier. Chipchura and Kostitsin didn't show much out there, and I'm having a hard time remembering which other prospects did anything to indicate they deserve to stick around with the exception of Latendresse and Price. Why not get rid of those who are obviously nowhere near ready now, and play a mostly veteran lineup from here on out? It would allow the lines to get clicking and go into the reg. season with some good momentum.

As far as prospects, based on what I saw tonight, Latendresse and Price were the only ones that looked like they could contribute anything to the big club in the immediate future.

I agree.

Although for now i still feel Latendresse shouldn't be rushed to the main team this year, i want to see him play in the rest of the pre-season games. If he plays the next 3 games with the same drive he displayed tonight, i think he *should* play on the main team.

I think a few of the younger players made Carbo's next round of cuts much easier. Chipchura and Kostitsin didn't show much out there, and I'm having a hard time remembering which other prospects did anything to indicate they deserve to stick around with the exception of Latendresse and Price. Why not get rid of those who are obviously nowhere near ready now, and play a mostly veteran lineup from here on out? It would allow the lines to get clicking and go into the reg. season with some good momentum.

Not to mention... we might actually win a game! :P

ohhhhhh how it hurts!!!

the agony of defeat!

at least Koivu showed he had heart...felt good to see him score....i coulndt watch the whole game...can you guys say who scored for the habs??

i saw Latendresse almost score....if only he would of raised the puck :(

but still...i could see him on the team this year

ohhhhhh how it hurts!!!

the agony of defeat!

at least Koivu showed he had heart...felt good to see him score....i coulndt watch the whole game...can you guys say who scored for the habs??

i saw Latendresse almost score....if only he would of raised the puck :(

but still...i could see him on the team this year

Streit and Ryder

Few impressions on this first Habs televised game :

Raycroft played a great game. Huet was shaky and was going down too early. I hope he'll get his great syncronism soon.

It was really enjoyable to watch Streit on the PP.

Poor Corey Locke!! He had the opportunity of his life! Must have been a dream to play between Samsonov and Kovalev. Unfortunately, it turned to a real nightmare. He had the chance to feed Kovalev on a 2-1.. but wristled a soft shot on net. I'm sure Kovalev didn't appreciated.. But hey, it's not like the 2 russians played a good game too.

Latendresse played some good shifts. However he stayed on the ice much too long. I recall 1 shift on the PP where he should have left the ice after the 1st wave. I don't like what I feel about his attitude. There's a great part of attitude if a player wants to have success in the NHL.

Ryder?? Higgins?? Wow!! Nice nice nice!! Now I can't wait to see the full lineup in action

I think we can official stop blaming Ribs for the 2nd line woes. The Russians are the real problem right now. Zero shots on goal. Zero effort.

Koivu's line looked good, it shows that they "click" and they were well rested. They had a lot of jump and looked good out there. Ryder's hands look to be in mid-season form.

The young guns are not impressing me right now. Lats is not bad, he at least looks interested. Price was good as well. Send the rest home.

Huet.. I sure hope its rust, but the opposition goalies don't look rusty. Price doesn't look rusty... hope Huet snaps out of it soon!

As for the leafs.. well, Raycroft is playing well and Steen, Stajin, etc looked fast and skilled. They might do better then we think.

Edited by brobin

I watched the game, and although the outcome doesn't bother me as game won is still aways off, I was disappointed with our play in general. We looked very disorganized. Latendresse is ready for 4th line duties as far as I can see, however another year down in Jrs wont kill him. He will never play AHL as far as I can tell, 1st Habs prospect in a long time I felt that way about !

Locke looked very quick, but didn't seem to know what to do on the big line, showed he wasn't ready, but when he is... Price played well, but got lucky at least twice, if not four times when he was caught down and out and Leafs fanned on shots or missed. Not ready yet but I have a good feeling about him.

Chipchura had a couple great moments and may be close. I think he makes the next cut just to get some time incase of injury to a center or two.

Saku was better than I hoped for, God bless him.

Ryder is ready and Higgins was amazing.

Guy that impressed me was Benoit, he jumps into the rush and maybe a good shot at #7

Kovalev is on but isn't playing to win these games. He wants to be in shape and it shows. Samsonov was not outstanding, but also seemed to be holding back. I think these 2 will explode at some point, if they find a center that works for them. Could be Higgins? Pleks? Ribs may be the man, but they don't seem confident in him. Language barrior?

Streit was great! Glad he is still here.

Huet was shakey at 1st, but coming into a game mid way is always weird, especially when the intenisity of it counting for anything isn't there. Settled down and played okay.

RAYCRAP stole the show!!! He played like the goalie he was rookie year. Too bad he will have Toronto's def in front of him to allow him to get puck weary. Good row of 40 plus shot games will get to him I'd say.

I haven't see the game so I can't comment. I read O'byrne wasnt impressive but Benoit showed some good stuff.

Seems like only Lats and Price showed some gloss on the rookies' part. That's good to hear because sometimes kids who have a good first camp and a down second camp. But the lack of sparks on the rest of the rookies is a cause of concern. Could it be because there's not enough spots available? I hope its not.

I'm not too concerned about the Russians. Its not like they absolutely have to work together. They can be broke up and put on different lines. Besides, its training camp and both are established NHLers, they dont have anything to prove, unlike basically everyone else on the roster.