Canadiens Claim Traverse Off Waivers

kenadian

I'm new to Canadien hockey history so I want to know why is this guy seen in such bad light?

in 109 games with the habs he is a -24. And his stats were enhanced by playing in front of Jose.

He was a bad part of a bad D-core.

Since leaving MTL he has played 1 game in the NHL.

Edited by simonus

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=179134&hubname=nhl

I'm guessing this is just "insurance" till everyone gets healthy...............

as you said...

:king: :hlogo: :king:

The reason some may be overreacting is that he sucks! Personally I would have hoped that BG would have made some move to help the defence but he has made none. Time will tell if this move is anything to be worked up about....

Name a team in the league that wants to help the Montreal Canadiens? 24 cups! Which GM wants to be remembered as the guy who gave us the missing piece of the puzzle?

It's a true fact. One I like to deny. But looking back at times when we have overtraded. Especially during the Serge Savard years you get the sense that no one wanted to or wants to help us.

Bob knows that a forward and a pick is what he needs to pull a deadline deal to some poor lost non playoff team; a salary dump of a top 3 or 4 D. Cashing that in now would be irresponsible. So, ya get a bum who can sit in the pressbox but has NHL experience. If he plays 3 games for Montreal and sucks then you send him to Hamilton and you try try again.

No one wants to help the Habs. The only poker man in the business right now who can really evade that deficit is Gainey.

No one wants to help the Habs.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

The reason some may be overreacting is that he sucks! Personally I would have hoped that BG would have made some move to help the defence but he has made none. Time will tell if this move is anything to be worked up about....

Adding a body can hardly be a negative just because the guy sucks. It's depth.

Name a team in the league that wants to help the Montreal Canadiens? 24 cups! Which GM wants to be remembered as the guy who gave us the missing piece of the puzzle?

It's a true fact. One I like to deny. But looking back at times when we have overtraded. Especially during the Serge Savard years you get the sense that no one wanted to or wants to help us.

Bob knows that a forward and a pick is what he needs to pull a deadline deal to some poor lost non playoff team; a salary dump of a top 3 or 4 D. Cashing that in now would be irresponsible. So, ya get a bum who can sit in the pressbox but has NHL experience. If he plays 3 games for Montreal and sucks then you send him to Hamilton and you try try again.

No one wants to help the Habs. And only Gainey is the poker man in the business right now who can really evade that deficit.

No one wants to help the Habs.

Are you smoking something? Who said anyone wants to help anyone else and where the hell does this cup history crap come into the equation? YEs Montreal is the bigest dynasty in the history of hockey but what has this to do with anything? You think the Habs are one player away from a cup? I hope you are right.

To get talent you have to offer talent and if BG offers nothing then he has to get the worst option.

Why do so many people look too deep into my posts? BG has made no significant moves to shore up the D and the team will suffer somewhat for it due to injuries. And to get somebody that sits is just stupid, makes no fiscal sense no matter how it is spun. I hope all the injuries take care of themselves quickly or Huet/Abby are going to be very busy in the early part of the season.

does anybody really want to help any team?

The toughest GM seat IMO in hockey is the Habs chair. Gainey is sitting in it. When the other GM's phone rings he answers Bob thinking, "Oh, they want twenty five cups now, don't they have enough? I'm trying to win my own cup for petes sake"

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

does anybody really want to help any team?

? :?- ? :?- ? :?- ?

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

Looking at it from the bright sight:

Pat Traverse has NHL experience and will probably get the leauge minimum. He's also familiar with the team and the city and knows exactly what's comming.

Traverse is also a perfect "throw-in" player in a trade if the other team is having the same problem as the Habs: Too few left defencemen.

I don't expect Traverse to play more than a few games and maybe he will be a leader for the younger guys on the farm.

Damn....Patrick Traverse, again? I'd still much rather unretire Eric Weinrich if we're that desperate on D, but I guess that wasn't an option....

My issue with this is not as much a hockey one, as I don't expect him to play much, if at all (does anyone?), but I seriously hate the move from a karma standpoint. I remember a team that in addition to being consistently outshot and frequently overmatched also had bad habits and frequently just didn't show up, and I'm just wishing for the bad memories (and Traverse) to go away.

It's like that bad ex-girlfriend that shows up out of nowhere, it may not be rational anymore, but she still gets on your nerves without fail....

Souray will be practicing with the club tomorow so am assuming he will be ready to go on the 6th when the season will open.

Starting line-up will then look like this : Markov, Souray, Rivet, Dandenault, Komisarek and Streith.

Do we need anyone else,....someone in the press box ? With cote injury Gainey decided to look for

experience players that would be made avalaible from going throught waiver.......Traverse was the first one to show-up so he grabbed him.....that's how he told-it tonight on CKAC.

Traverse has a two-way contract, which is just perfect.

Will Traverse be the press box boy on openning night.....or Javeneski...or O'Byrne,...we dont know,...all

we know is that with Traverse around Gainey gave himself an additionnal choice....end of story.

This has a Carboneau smell to it! 2004 Traverse was in Dallas!

Wasn't Carbonneau an assistant coach in Montréal during the 2001-02 season? He sure must know something about Traverse.

Wasn't Carbonneau an assistant coach in Montréal during the 2001-02 season? He sure must know something about Traverse.

yeah, he knows he can be a temporary fixture. to me it says that montreal isn't confident of jancevski's play and they feel that traverse is a better D man

"There were probably some raised eyebrows when the Canadiens claimed Patrick Traverse from the San Jose Sharks, but he's the right guy at the right time.

Traverse is an insurance policy, an experienced player who will accept the role of seventh defenceman on a team that dresses six. He's making the minimum wage on a two-way contract."

-Pat Hickey, Montréal Gazette, 29/09/06

"There were probably some raised eyebrows when the Canadiens claimed Patrick Traverse from the San Jose Sharks, but he's the right guy at the right time.

Traverse is an insurance policy, an experienced player who will accept the role of seventh defenceman on a team that dresses six. He's making the minimum wage on a two-way contract."

-Pat Hickey, Montréal Gazette, 29/09/06

Well, since you-- or rather Pat Hickey-- puts it that way... I guess I'll just have to choke back all of my comments about

Patrick Reverse?

You've got to be kidding!

Oh my God! What was Bob Smoking?

Christ, not again :wall:

etcetera, etcetera ad infinitum, ad nauseam :puke:

AND take a deep breath... and Say... in Bob we trust. After all, I was one of the guys that was highly critical of the Hossa for Murray trade. I would say the PT will spend most of his time in Hamilton, but who knows? He might be a late bloomer :D

OH DEAR GOD NO...NOT TRAVERSE...ANYONE BUT TRAVERSE...I REMEMBER YELLING AT THE TV AND GOING WHO WAS THAT IDIOT...AND WHO WAS IT...TRAVERSE....

Remember how samsonov was plan D? Well...I got a trick up my sleeve ;) PLAN Z...

(Get EMELIN M.I.A in Russia...And Get him on a plane to Canada!!!!)

Ridiculous! I'm shocked that he still has a chance at an NHL job. Let alone with Montreal... I thought Brisebois was the king of give-aways until I saw Traverse for a full season. Yikes! I thought Bob was smarter than this but I guess he wasn't around when Traverse was.