Niinimaa > Bouillon > Souray > ?

KoZed

We all know Souray's going to be a UFA next summer (along with Markov and Rivet) and that he wants to get closer to his children.

By getting Niinimaa, Gainey added another left-side D. Once Bouillon comes back in December, there will be one too many left-side D with Markov, Souray, Bouillon and Niinimaa all worthy to be regulars.

Pretty easy to connect dots: once Bouillon comes back, Souray becomes a prime candidate to be traded. Its tough to guess in advance what the Habs will need then, but I'm thinking a C is in order.

Don't put too much stock in Niinimaa. This guy isn't that good. Look at his stats, he doesn't put up big offensive numbers and he's not all that good defensively. There was a reason he came so cheap...(Mike Ribeiro).

Gainey will try and sign Souray long term. If that doesn't happen he will probably try and deal him. Unless Niinima plays supremely well, in which case he might price himself out of Montreal, he will be gone anyways. And the cap savings will go towards signing the youngsters (Higgins, Komisarek, Plekanec, Ryder) etc in the offseason next year.

I wouldn't get to used to seeing Niinima in a Habs uniform beyond this year

Don't put too much stock in Niinimaa. This guy isn't that good. Look at his stats, he doesn't put up big offensive numbers and he's not all that good defensively. There was a reason he came so cheap...(Mike Ribeiro).

Gainey will try and sign Souray long term. If that doesn't happen he will probably try and deal him. Unless Niinima plays supremely well, in which case he might price himself out of Montreal, he will be gone anyways. And the cap savings will go towards signing the youngsters (Higgins, Komisarek, Plekanec, Ryder) etc in the offseason next year.

I wouldn't get to used to seeing Niinima in a Habs uniform beyond this year

Awfully short-sighted. Niinimaa has a lot of talent that just didn't show last season. Perhaps you're right, but I wouldn't bet against Gainey. Like I said somewhere else, if he plays half as well as he did with Edm/NYI he's going to be the bomb.

Awfully short-sighted. Niinimaa has a lot of talent that just didn't show last season. Perhaps you're right, but I wouldn't bet against Gainey. Like I said somewhere else, if he plays half as well as he did with Edm/NYI he's going to be the bomb.

Your awfully short sighted. Look at his career stats. Not all that good. Montreal is what, his 5th team or so? Doesn't that tell you something? Hes not all that good. Especially when he gets delt for panty waste like Ribeiro. He is definitley not the bomb...thats why he'll be part of the 3rd defensive pairing

Your awfully short sighted. Look at his career stats. Not all that good. Montreal is what, his 5th team or so? Doesn't that tell you something? Hes not all that good. Especially when he gets delt for panty waste like Ribeiro. He is definitley not the bomb...thats why he'll be part of the 3rd defensive pairing

He might very well suck the H right out of the C, you're right. However, I submit that he does have the talent to be our legitimate number two by the end of the year. If he takes to the coaching and puts his nose to the grindstone to perform like he used to? He could be golden.

Chill out boys.

Everyone (including I) went nuts when Gainey ttraded Hossa straight up for Murray. Now he looks like a genius with that one.

Just sit back, relax, and see how things fold out before you start pointing fingers and all that

It's a posting war with every trade or move being criticized? People not agreeing? Someone should write a hockey song about it. :P

If Niinimaa can find old form, he's going to fit in just fine. Not a superstar. The coaches will know when to utilize him and when not to. It's basic. Gainey should be given a medal IMO. If Niinimaa has his old speed, and I believe he does, he'll do OK.

Ribs will probably do well for himself. That's fine. Cheers to him I guess. What's really important is the Dags, Theo & Ribs trio clique are gone. There are alot of bad experiences from fans who approached them in Montreal, for autographs or to meet them. I've heard alot of bad stories about those 3. No one has brought that up yet. I figured I'd mention it.

Works for me if Ribs is going for nothing, if that was the only way to make things better. Sort of like addition by subtraction IMO! For Bob to get Niinimaa back is another demonstration of his resilience. He was patient and he got good returns.

I doubt we retain Niinimaa in '08.

Still, I can't believe Bob got Niinimaa :lol:

:hlogo:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Ribs will probably do well for himself. That's fine. Cheers to him I guess. What's really important is the Dags, Theo & Ribs trio clique are gone. There are alot of bad experiences from fans who approached them in Montreal, for autographs or to meet them. I've heard alot of bad stories about those 3. No one has brought that up yet. I figured I'd mention it.

Please tell!

I don't know about you guys but my opinion is that most you haven't realized how good Janne Niinimma is.

His stats may not be so great but please find an old video and watch. He's dominant from time to time.

Markov, Niinimaa and Boullion. Looks fine to me. Souray might be happy, Habs get something they need. Win-win situation.

My brother makes the annual trip to see a couple of games. He was snubbed by Ribs while there. I have numerous friends at work who have gone too. When I add up the media reports and such it becomes clear something smelled.

Now, as far as Theodore goes, he was the best behaved. But, I'm sure he was aware that his glass house was bigger than Ribs' or Dags'. He seemed to forget about his glass house lately.

A friend of mine was at a bar and saw the 3 of them. He approached them and was told to "F^%& O^&"

I heard of another getting blown off when they went to a jamboree type of get together.

The big culprit was Ribs with Dags watching his back.

I'm sure there must be people in here who have heard similar stories. It was practically legitimate news that there was a clique.

So Gainey dumped...

a ) Dagenais

B ) Theodore

c ) Ribeiro

ALL DONE :)

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Pretty easy to connect dots: once Bouillon comes back, Souray becomes a prime candidate to be traded. Its tough to guess in advance what the Habs will need then, but I'm thinking a C is in order.

Bold prediction:

Perez, Ryder and Souray are all traded by season end.

(why ryder ? because of his market value, because Kost or Lats can play in his place, because he can fetch us something very good if traded with e.g. Perez or Souray)

(why perez? because he'll prove to be totally useless and Kost and Lats will prove to be better... we'll also promote some guy like Chip or Lapierre to take the spot on the 3rd or 4th line)

who is coming our way?

TBay: have 15M on two centers...

SJ : Marleau might whine cause he doesn't have the spotlight (just like arnott)

NJ : even with their moves, they're pretty damn close to the cap.

Dallas : the connection is made.

Bold prediction:

(why ryder ? because of his market value, because Kost or Lats can play in his place, because he can fetch us something very good if traded with e.g. Perez or Souray)

(why perez? because he'll prove to be totally useless and Kost and Lats will prove to be better... we'll also promote some guy like Chip or Lapierre to take the spot on the 3rd or 4th line)

who is coming our way?

I think Souray and Perezhogin will be traded for a reliable #2-3 defenceman. I think Gainey is waiting for the end of the season to go after Briere who will be UFA.

Bold prediction:

who is coming our way?

I agree those three are on the go... specially if the gap at centre is felt i.e ( plek cant handle the new task and Latendresse does what we expect him to do i.e (average less than 10 min per game and end up with less than 15 pts...) The fact that he stays healthy in the NHL while smackng bodies around is plenty enough!

Even if Niinima plays great we cant trade a D to get a forward then were stuck pretty much where we were before trading For Niinima... If Souray gets traded or Rivet or Markov its to get ONE hell of a D back this means like mentioned a forward and if not two are traded along,

Ryder?!

No, no, no. He may not be the most complete hockeyplayer but he score goals!

When did the Habs had a guy capable of putting up 40 goals before Ryder?

Perezhogin, Aebischer and Souray are the guys that will have to fight if they want to stay. Perezhogin have the Kostitsyn brothers fo fight, Aebischer has Huet, Danis, Price and every other Habs goalie and Souray want to play closer to his family.

Yes CH NL, I'm not understanding the logic of getting rid of a 30+ goal scorer for someone younger who may or may not be able to score in the NHL. Ryder does. Why can't you have a team with more than 1 30 goal scorer. The habs need someone else to step up and score goals. Ryder already does.

Defending Ryder here...

Why so critical?

Low draft pick, came out of nowhere and scores a lot of goals. Will just start his third season and still learning. Why on earth do people want him to leave when things are working for Ryder in Montreal?

Let's say the Habs aquired a top scorer like Cheechoo. What would garuantee Cheechoo to score 50 goals with the Habs just because he did in San Jose? There's a lot of individual factors and chemistry that trading Ryder would be stupid when the team needs scoring.

Or take a look at Marcus Näslund. He didn't produce in Pittsburgh but once he landed in Vancouver he started to lit the light and he didn't became a different player just over night. He had it all along.

Defending Ryder here...

Why so critical?

Low draft pick, came out of nowhere and scores a lot of goals. Will just start his third season and still learning. Why on earth do people want him to leave when things are working for Ryder in Montreal?

Because Habs fans want a name and a star, and a guy who has the perfect game...and obviously, Ryder can be traded for one. His 30 goals were all useless and easy goals. :wacko: