Game Thread | Sabres vs. Canadiens | 10/23/06

Spider-Man NL

Watched the game in T.O. on RDS. Habs came out flying, best I've seen in a long while, but here's the bottom line:

1. Sabres play as a team, we have prima-donnas. Kovalev back-to-back penalties, acted like a suck.

2. Sabres played with us in the first, almost like "give us your best shot". I really don't think we can play

any better as a team than we did in the first period. Our transition was great, we were determined, we

out-skated and out-hit them. The Sabres withstood the onsalught and then showed us why we aren't in

their league. This team is good.

3. Habs lack psychological strength. Huet lets in a cheap goal, Markov truns over the puck, and we fold.

It's like we don't have confidence in ourselves. This wasn't Theodore in net guys, no 3-goal comeback

possible against teams like Buffalo. Miller is solid.

4. Ruff's a great coach, Carbonneau can be.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll to you what, that bandwagon must be awfully strong for people to jump on and off it as often as they do here.

I don't think it is a case of bandwagon jumping. Even after wins this season people were pointing out the team's weaknesses (2nd line, defense, etc). They also pointed out the good stuff..

Playing Buffalo is benchmark game that really shows where you are at. It shows the Habs still need some work.

I have not seen any comment on this tread that is a new concern this season. If the Habs want to get better they need to identify the weak areas and fix them up.

Being a fan means you get to jump up and down all happy with performances like Higgins, and while pointing out the problems! :)

The Canadiens will beat Buffalo this season and they will do it more than once. The Canadiens will improve and Buffalo will get a little worse. Buffalo is starting just how the Sens did last season; they can not ride that high and score that many goals all season long.

As for the Ribeiro trade just wait every trade Gainey makes turns into gold. I really do not believe the Habs are weaker down the middle, Plekanec may not be the solution but all Habs fans knew Ribs would not be not in Montreal anyway too much pressure and other misconceptions of Ribeiros ability.

I thought it was good for Janne to step up but i got shit all day for that comment...................

Souray's the guy who should be talking on D.

Five goals speak for themselves I hope the whiners who keep calling for Souray's head realize how good of a player this guy is, and if anyone should have spoken up it's him.

Not Ninnimaa

Hey, who cares if Souray has presence, leadership, a terrifying shot from the point and is a huge offensive threat. He occasionally breaks down in his own zone! Therefore he's crap! Only perfect players should be dressed for us. 30-goal forwards (Ryder), 15-goal defencemen (Souray) - we don't need 'em. It's addition by subtraction: take Souray's 45 points out of the equation, it makes us that much better.

Hey, who cares if Souray has presence, leadership, a terrifying shot from the point and is a huge offensive threat. He occasionally breaks down in his own zone! Therefore he's crap! Only perfect players should be dressed for us. 30-goal forwards (Ryder), 15-goal defencemen (Souray) - we don't need 'em. It's addition by subtraction: take Souray's 45 points out of the equation, it makes us that much better.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm...... Who are gonna dress then :huh:

I missed most of last night's game.

I read the posts and am not suprised to see so much bitching, moaning & groaning going on. Some of us in this community sound like a bunch of highly-aggressive, over-compensating low-esteemed poor losers.

On the one hand, Buffalo IS one of, if not THE, best teams in the league at the moment. They play well together, they skate like fiends, they play with high confidence and they have talent. One of the best things about that team is the goaltending. Miller is playing insanely good hockey! Huet is doing more than well enough even though he's not always pulling off miraculous stuff like he was last year.

Get a life, get over it, grow up! It's a game, it's not going to have any impact on your life, your health, your income, your whatever... unless you let it.

Go :hlogo: go!

this game really demotivated me...altough i agree with most of saying the habs dominated the first period...but i think when huet let in the salo goal the habs lost faith in him...kinda a la theo ...i dont know if its cause huet as played teh tougher teams or what..but this year he's not impressing me much..maybe the big raise he got makes him daydream too much about all he can do with the money

on the brightside....at least they didnt make history with a win against us tonight

Huet was fine. The habs were fine. We lost to the best team in the league. That is easy to see if you watched.

The habs just got to work on getting to that level ....where the sabers are. They are close, I don't know why everyone is so bummed. We used to always lose to Buffalo when they were shit. So what's the dif. At least we didn't get killed.

We'll get it figured out by the play-offs and knock them out in 5 games . Teams that kill all year always go down in the first round anyway.

We'll get it figured out by the play-offs and knock them out in 5 games . Teams that kill all year always go down in the first round anyway.

This Buffalo team is not a team thats going out in the first round. Its a team thats better than last year when they were within a game of going to the Stanley Cup finals.

And this Montreal team is not playing well, or atleast the most important part isn't. The Kovalev, Samsonov and Plekanec line is the key to this team. The 1st line has been performing very well. The goalies have been pretty good with a few exceptions and considering the injuries on defense they've played well as well. But its that second line that has let Montreal down. If the could get their heads in the game for 60 mins and actually produce some points, this team could probably challenge Buffalo for 1st in the division and in the East. But no, the f**king line looks like shit most of the time with a few good pocessions here and there.

Edited by kaos

Its really annoying how everyone blew this 'prediction' thing way out of proportion. :P Before the game, every player predicts they'll win.

Edited by Syn

Its really annoying how everyone blew this 'prediction' thing way out of proportion. :P Before the game, every player predicts they'll win.

Yeah, but its different in Montreal, when you say it to the press. :lol:

I read the posts and am not suprised to see so much bitching, moaning & groaning going on. Some of us in this community sound like a bunch of highly-aggressive, over-compensating low-esteemed poor losers.

On the one hand, Buffalo IS one of, if not THE, best teams in the league at the moment. They play well together, they skate like fiends, they play with high confidence and they have talent. One of the best things about that team is the goaltending. Miller is playing insanely good hockey! Huet is doing more than well enough even though he's not always pulling off miraculous stuff like he was last year.

Get a life, get over it, grow up! It's a game, it's not going to have any impact on your life, your health, your income, your whatever... unless you let it.

An absolute brilliant and accurate statement Shortcat - AMEN!!!!! It's a game boys........

Some good observations in this thread. I think the lack of a quality second line center is going to haunt us against the best teams in the league (like Buffalo).

When I see the Pens with Crosby, Malkin, and Stall....it makes me green with envy.

Some good observations in this thread. I think the lack of a quality second line center is going to haunt us against the best teams in the league (like Buffalo).

When I see the Pens with Crosby, Malkin, and Stall....it makes me green with envy.

would you accept that our teams sinks so low and stays there for 4-5 years and get all the top 5 draft picks..

I just don't see it happen.

would you accept that our teams sinks so low and stays there for 4-5 years and get all the top 5 draft picks..

I just don't see it happen.

No...but I do expect management to snag one of these quality types of center when they come up on free agency.

An absolute brilliant and accurate statement Shortcat - AMEN!!!!! It's a game boys........

Gosh......... :blush::blush::blush: thanks, b1.

I appreciate your encouragement... especially the AMEN!!!!!

go :hlogo: go!

Gosh......... :blush::blush::blush: thanks, b1.

I appreciate your encouragement... especially the AMEN!!!!!

go :hlogo: go!

Amen - a unique word in the English language.

I also sensed over time from your posts that it would be an appropriate term to sum up my agreement and 'faith' in your assessment......