Game Thread | Sabres vs. Canadiens | 10/23/06

Spider-Man NL

10$ Miller gets himself a shutout. *jinx*

(leave the jinxing for me, I've got an impressive track record. ;) )

haha you're magic....Good call BTH.

And onto the game, I was so extremely frusterated when it ended. Huet embarassed himself on that one goal, his team abandoned him on the other two. Tough break, we were all over them, and during the first period I thought we had this game in the bag based on how we play. It's frusterating, but as a fan of a sports team, these games come along sometimes and you just have to keep going and look onto the next game.

GO HABS GO

P.S - LATSY with some really nice bodychecks!

Edited by habsfan88

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys, I've only seen about 10 games in the past 15 months so I gotta rant about that one.

Ryder was useless tonight. But he was set up to fail - recieving passes at the blue line and trying to skate in... that's not his game. This is what happens when Koivu has a bad game. Higgins was great, though.

Kovalev is unbelievably frustrating. 'Nuff said.

Plex is not working on that line, he just doesn't seem to fit somehow. I say, why not throw Perezhogin between Samsonov and Kovalev? Can't hurt to try it. Either that or throw Latendresse up with them for a while.

I like Bonk/Johnson together. They are a good duo.

The D was pathetic tonight with the puck - no clearing, no passing, no *insert anything that you want*. Souray (and to a lesser extent, Markov) takes heat for coughing the puck up but at least he takes the risk to hold on to it a little longer and make a pass every now and then.

and am I ever happy the Habs have Aebischer. Huet may get back to last year's form, but Abby is a fantastic insurance plan and I think he'll by #1 by the end of the year.

All this complaining and I thought that the Habs played a pretty decent game. Only 8 or so badly played minutes in the second period, but otherwise, they were solid.

Hurry back, Boullion!

Aebischer should start until he loses.

yeah i have a feeling Abby will start against Boston, cant wait for Montreal VS. Bruins

pittiful game

bad goaltending demoralized the team after we had a good first period. The guys looked slugish out there.

At least Lats was hitting. Samsonov looked more creative

Well thats was a thoroughly lame effort. Not that Aebischer is all that much better but I would say he probably deserves the next start, although I wouldn't be suprised if they came back with Huet.

Samsonov and Kovalev need to wake up out their. They make me wish Ribeiro was back in town, the guy has 3 goals and 4 assists in 7 games. Niinima just has a big mouth. Maybe the dumbass should worry about moving the puck out of his own end and putting the puck in the other teams net than making dumbass ass Carlos Rodgers type predictions on when the potential Stanely Cup Champs are going to lose a game.

IF things don't improve with that second line in the next 5 to 7 games, or they can't find someway, or somebody to light a fire under the Russian asses, then this team might need a shake up. Either by trade or by benching one or both of them and calling up some Hamilton boys.

Hope Janne learned his lesson... :P

Only positive I can see out of this game is Latendresse's progression. Game after game he's doing a little bit more to contribute.

Otherwise, really bad game. Carbo sounded pissed in the post-game interview, but it was an in-control type of pissed. Like: I know why we loss, and I won't tolerate it.

Well thats was a thoroughly lame effort. Not that Aebischer is all that much better but I would say he probably deserves the next start, although I wouldn't be suprised if they came back with Huet.

Samsonov and Kovalev need to wake up out their. They make me wish Ribeiro was back in town, the guy has 3 goals and 4 assists in 7 games. Niinima just has a big mouth. Maybe the dumbass should worry about moving the puck out of his own end and putting the puck in the other teams net than making dumbass ass Carlos Rodgers type predictions on when the potential Stanely Cup Champs are going to lose a game.

IF things don't improve with that second line in the next 5 to 7 games, or they can't find someway, or somebody to light a fire under the Russian asses, then this team might need a shake up. Either by trade or by benching one or both of them and calling up some Hamilton boys.

You can look on the bright side I guess. At least the confidence has taken a hit in a good way. The ego has been hit as well. I say, pick yourself up again and learn from your mistakes.

I hope the Canadiens are angry :hockey:

Otherwise, really bad game. Carbo sounded pissed in the post-game interview, but it was an in-control type of pissed. Like: I know why we loss, and I won't tolerate it.

I would say the Habs didn't even look ready for this game, which would be Carbonneau's fault. He can be made at himself as well.

He really needs to come up with a solution for that second line. Or tell Bob to go out and get someone who is ready to contribute every night.

I would say the Habs didn't even look ready for this game, which would be Carbonneau's fault. He can be made at himself as well.

Meh. They are pros playing against the top team in the league. If they have to rely on their coach for motivation, they might as well collectively retire.

They were outworked by an opponent more hungry for the puck, as simple as that. Some guys just dont give a constant effort.

I listened to only a small part of the game...and i think the " TSN" turning point (HAHAHA) waas when souray hit the post...seconds later drury stole puck from markov (who hasent impressed me at all this year) and scored.

Would have been a totally different game had souray put it in. with all his defensive lapses...he is taking control of what he can control...his offense.

You must not have watched the same game I did. The Habs outplayed them for most of the first 2 periods, and played them even in the third. In fact, I'd say they utterly dominated the first period. Shots were even in the first, but Montreal played most of the period in Buffalo's zone. If not for two very weak goals allowed by Huet, it'd have been a 1-1 game headed into overtime.

Kovy and Samsonov played very well for the better part of two periods. Everyone was frustrated in the third AK took two killer penalties. But still, especially in teh first period, they played well.

Edited by les_glorieux

You must not have watched the same game I did. The Habs outplayed them for most of the first 2 periods, and played them even in the third. In fact, I'd say they utterly dominated the first period. Shots were even in the first, but Montreal played most of the period in Buffalo's zone. If not for two very weak goals allowed by Huet, it'd have been a 1-1 game headed into overtime.

I guess you and I watched the same game. !st period Buffalo looked like they couldn't skate with us. Couple bad goals were the difference in this one. Decent effort, bad result.

So I guess Nimiina has egg on his face now because guess who was the number one story on TSN.ca, his 'habs will win comment' ugh. Leaf fans are laughing at us now.

Who cares what Leaf fans think, they still haven't won in 40 years.

And on a positive not our PK unit was 6 for 6. I bet that puts us in 1st !!!

Yes that does matter.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

I guess you and I watched the same game. !st period Buffalo looked like they couldn't skate with us. Couple bad goals were the difference in this one. Decent effort, bad result.

Who cares what Leaf fans think, they still haven't won in 40 years.

And on a positive not our PK unit was 6 for 6. I bet that puts us in 1st !!!

Yes that does matter.

Tied for second actually. And we're second on the pp.

this game really demotivated me...altough i agree with most of saying the habs dominated the first period...but i think when huet let in the salo goal the habs lost faith in him...kinda a la theo ...i dont know if its cause huet as played teh tougher teams or what..but this year he's not impressing me much..maybe the big raise he got makes him daydream too much about all he can do with the money

on the brightside....at least they didnt make history with a win against us tonight

Edited by habs_in_the_blood

I'm just hopelessly optimistic!!

But not realistic

Ya three nothing... Sabres are too damn good

That is the bottom line, the Sabers are a better team.

Niinima just has a big mouth. Maybe the dumbass should worry about moving the puck out of his own end and putting the puck in the other teams net than making dumbass ass Carlos Rodgers type predictions

It's kind of funny because before the game everyone was saying that we would win for sure because Ninimma made the prediction.

this game really demotivated me...altough i agree with most of saying the habs dominated the first period...but i think when huet let in the salo goal the habs lost faith in him...kinda a la theo ...i dont know if its cause huet as played teh tougher teams or what..but this year he's not impressing me much..maybe the big raise he got makes him daydream too much about all he can do with the money

Again I'll state what I've been saying all summer and everybody was attacking me for, Huet never has been a premier goalie in this or any other league in his life, since maybe bantem. He came in last year with nothing to lose and stood on his head for the last 30 games of the year, this year he has the pressure that a premier goalie has which is not fair because he's not that caliber of goalie, I don't think people should blame him, the sooner you accept that he is a average goalie who will help keep us in some games but not steal wins the better off you will be, stop delusioning yourself with the notion that he is a Vezina type goalie, we need to score goals to win, the only reason we beat Colorado is because of our scorers- never should a team win a game when they let in 5 goals....our only saving grace is that the other goalie happened to be Jose Theodore on this night, any other goalie in the league and I guarantee we would have lost that game. Look at that, it takes a trade out of Montreal for Jose to finally start helping the Habs!!

I think i must have watched a different game then you guys. The first 10 minutes was a good performance. After the soft goal went in they reverted back to the old habs for the rest of the game. Minus the last 10 minutes. I thought only the 3rd line played very well. They only had like 14 shots after 2 periods. There was nothing created offensively, couldn't even draw any penalties. I was most disappointed with the effort. What happened to the team that stormed out in the 2nd and 3rd periods on Saturday?

Any way,

Good news:

3rd line solid again and scored

Great Pk

Bad News:

I could say the same thing i always do here but i'll change it a bit.

Poor penalties every night.

If this team wants to compete and be taken seriously as a contender they need to start showing up and playing hard for 60 minutes every night. (regardless of wins and losses) They are outworked too much.

The 2nd and 4th line needs ashake up, they are both deep in the minus.

D zone: This needs to be cleaned up. They continue to be brutal. Need to win more 1 on 1 battles, make clean passes out of the zone.

Offense needs to shoot more and be more creative. Evidence of this is everyone thinks Souray is the second coming of ORR, However he has 9 points, all on the power play but now -5 i beleive. How about doing something 5 on 5. 2nd line like -10 combined. That can't cut it, i think that line is 8 million.

Coaching staff: I like the coaches, i'm not sure about the Muller (spelling) addition, nothing against him, they need a real Defensive coach, this D has been awfull for years, the only progress i see is Komi. Markov has been brutal.

I actually think this team can be a top 5 team in the east and possibly do some damage in the playoffs. I think they have enough talent. This team just needs to beleive in itself and play hard every night.

Just my opinion, the D core needs to be imploded and start over with atleast 4 new players.

But not realistic

That is the bottom line, the Sabers are a better team.

It's kind of funny because before the game everyone was saying that we would win for sure because Ninimma made the prediction.

Again I'll state what I've been saying all summer and everybody was attacking me for, Huet never has been a premier goalie in this or any other league in his life, since maybe bantem. He came in last year with nothing to lose and stood on his head for the last 30 games of the year, this year he has the pressure that a premier goalie has which is not fair because he's not that caliber of goalie, I don't think people should blame him, the sooner you accept that he is a average goalie who will help keep us in some games but not steal wins the better off you will be, stop delusioning yourself with the notion that he is a Vezina type goalie, we need to score goals to win, the only reason we beat Colorado is because of our scorers- never should a team win a game when they let in 5 goals....our only saving grace is that the other goalie happened to be Jose Theodore on this night, any other goalie in the league and I guarantee we would have lost that game. Look at that, it takes a trade out of Montreal for Jose to finally start helping the Habs!!

We got beat by the best team in the league - would everyone please chill. Of course the d - men had issues, Buffy runs four lines of very fast and aggressive forwards. The game was by no means a blow out - we got beaten by a better club who capitalised on our mistakes.

And yes, the first Huet goal sucked (and maybe deflated the team a bit), but sorry, one goal for ain't gonna cut it. Abby let in 5 on Saturday (some of which were soft) and everyone's appointing him the #1.

in games like this your best/skill players have to step up, and ours did not. yes i'm referring to kovalev.

i am still of the opinion that Riberio would be more help to this team right now that Niniimaa.

I was not against trading Ribs to improve the team, but i don't think we did. We have an excess of mediocre defensemen and we are weak up the middle. Getting weaker up the middle and adding another mediocre defenseman is not a move in the right direction. My hope at the time was that another move was in the works, but not sure anymore.

I hate to say this, but the Habs remind me of last year's Leafs. Mediocre team overall, but special teams kept them alive. Unfortunately, that doesn't do you much in the playoffs. If you watched Buffalo last night, they were all over Souray on the PP...

On the bright side, Higgins is really looking good and the third line is just fine.

Someone needs to take Sammy, Kovy, and Markov out to the shed.

We got beat by the best team in the league - would everyone please chill. Of course the d - men had issues, Buffy runs four lines of very fast and aggressive forwards. The game was by no means a blow out - we got beaten by a better club who capitalised on our mistakes.

And that is exactly what I am saying, we got beat by a better team. I also don't think it is anything to worry about. They will be us probabaly 4 or 5 more times this year. That is just a fact, they are better. We need to focus beating the teams we are better than. If we can beat the teams we are actually better than and end up in 5th or 6th in the conferance, hope that somebody can upset a few of the top teams you never know what will happen in the playoffs.

I'm by no means shittiing on the Habs, I just think people need to realize where we are in the league. When a game thread gets posted, every single person seems to be predicting a Habs win...Come on, we are a middle of the road team, why would everyone predict we are going to beat Buffalo. In fact besides myself and a handful of other people, I think everyone has predicted the Habs to win every game this year and most people say Lats will score his first goal every game. I am a realisitic habs fan who knows where we stand, losing to Buffalo doesn't really bother me that much, it's when we play like absolute shit and lose to Chicago that really bothers me. Like I said, Beat the teams that you should be beating.