Latendresse making more than Higgins....

cmac34

Im not trying to stir things up but I think its crazy that Latendresse makes more than Higgins!!!

Higgins: $673,000

Guillaume Latendresse Three-year contract pays $850,000 a season $850,800

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=2710&hubname=

I didnt watch a single game of the preseason, but the management must have really been expecting things from this guy!

We definitely should be patient about his development, long-term he could definitely turn out to be a good player, but I can't help thinking that short term Kostitsyn could be better for the team production. I think if I were coach I would bring up Kostitsyn and play him a bit just to see. We can always send murray down.

Also, whats up with Begin? He was so solid last year but he hasnt been noticeable at all this year...!

Begin is playing centre and is not as useful because he can not forecheck as much.

Latendresse made big noise in both camps and his agent from what I have heard is a bit of a hard ass thus he got the league max.

If Higgins keep's playing the way he has this season he will get a BIG BIG pay raise and a deal that last's for the next 4-5 years.

Kostyitsyn will be given a chance this year, injuries, trades ... also the possibility of Latendresse to the WJC's for a bit.

You make a good point. But from the way Higgins is playing, he will soon be making far more than Latendresse.

I expect Higgins to get somewhere between 2 and 3 million next year provided he keeps up the level of play. Who knows how we'll fit under the cap in that situation.

Edited by zumpano21

You make a good point. But from the way Higgins is playing, he will soon be making far more than Latendresse.

I expect Higgins to get somewhere between 2 and 3 million next year provided he keeps up the level of play. Who knows how we'll fit under the cap in that situation.

He'll get Bonk's money.

Yeah it was a real mistake by Gainey to give Latendresse all that money. While he has pulled off a few decent trades (Huet and Bonk trade, and the Theodore/Aebischer trade) he has made some very bad signings as well including the Theodore signings, the Ribeiro signings and now the Latendresse one.

There is no way in hell this kid is worth as much as Malkin, Crosby, Oveckin or more than Chris Higgins.

The only thing Gainey succeeded in was driving up the future price of Latendresse.

Chris Higgins has earned his next contract. Knowing Gainey and the way he hands out money, Chris will do alright.

SOme money will open up next year with Bonk moving on or resigning for far less. Downey will probably move on, and the salary cap should increase again by a few million

Yeah it was a real mistake by Gainey to give Latendresse all that money. While he has pulled off a few decent trades (Huet and Bonk trade, and the Theodore/Aebischer trade) he has made some very bad signings as well including the Theodore signings, the Ribeiro signings and now the Latendresse one.

There is no way in hell this kid is worth as much as Malkin, Crosby, Oveckin or more than Chris Higgins.

The only thing Gainey succeeded in was driving up the future price of Latendresse.

Chris Higgins has earned his next contract. Knowing Gainey and the way he hands out money, Chris will do alright.

SOme money will open up next year with Bonk moving on or resigning for far less. Downey will probably move on, and the salary cap should increase again by a few million

The Theo and Ribs "mistakes" that you refer to actually allowed Bob to maintain assets for the club so they could be traded. As far as overpaying Ribs, what do you think he would have gotten from arbitration? On the Lats deal, it is for the rookie Max, yes, but I remember reading that it has no incentives. If Higgin's deal includes incentives it could end up being worth more. I'm not sure why you think Bob is such as spendthrift, but everone is entitled to an opinion

higgins is not even complaining yet, so we should not

if higgins end the season with sumthing like 30 goals, gainey will thank him with a nice contract!

no worry guys!

higgins is not even complaining yet, so we should not

if higgins end the season with sumthing like 30 goals, gainey will thank him with a nice contract!

no worry guys!

I know it may be a lot of pressure but if Higgins stays healthy 30 goals would be a dissapointment.

If you'll notice, Komisarek, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Latendresse, and all other high ranking picks sign for the max allowed under the CBA. After the initial contract runs out, they tend to sign for a more reasonable price. Unless of course, if they're lighting it up...

The more Latendresse keeps putting up zeros and negatives, the more his next contract will decline.

it will decline vs. possible upside, but AFAIK the habs cannot reserve Latendresse's rights without making 100% qualifying offer.

Players who signed their first NHL contracts have a two-way deal clause in them. Meaning, if they get sent down to Hamilton, (let's take Latendresse for example), he won't be making 850 000$ in the AHL but barely 70 000$.

Higgins, Perezhogin and all the rest of the gang who signed for less this season is because they have one-way deals. This means, if Higgins signed for 673 000$ then he'll be making 673 000$ in the NHL and if he were to be sent down to Hamilton in the AHL, he'll still be making 673 000$.

This is why people will sign less money if they get a one-way deal. They know if they go to the AHL somehow they'll still be making NHL money.

Lats cant return to junior after 10 games and is to young to go in the AHL this year...that'sit for that.

Why compared his salary with Crosby or Oveshkin incendive based contract.......the differences against his are in the millions per saison....all going against the cap ( the following season ) ditto.

Higgins is not our most SKILLED player on this team in my opinion, but I swear he is the only one on this team that hustles like he does night after night so thats how he earns his points. A player like that will receive a large raise after this season if he keeps this play up.

So to answer more to the thread, yes, I believe that is bizarre.

Lats cant return to junior after 10 games and is to young to go in the AHL this year...that'sit for that.

Why compared his salary with Crosby or Oveshkin incendive based contract.......the differences against his are in the millions per saison....all going against the cap ( the following season ) ditto.

He CAN return to JR, the 10 game rule determines that he now has a "year" of NHL service. It is unlikely that a team would return a player to JR if they're had him for more than 10 games and lose that year for nothing.

As far as who is making what, salary wise. Bah, no biggie.

Higgins reminds me of recchi 110% everynight and that's what matters to BG.

That is a great comparison when it comes to work ethic, thankfully Higgins is younger then when the Hbas had the RECCHING BALL

He CAN return to JR, the 10 game rule determines that he now has a "year" of NHL service. It is unlikely that a team would return a player to JR if they're had him for more than 10 games and lose that year for nothing.

As far as who is making what, salary wise. Bah, no biggie.

I see, they still could send him down after the 10 matchs.....but at a price.

What use is it comparing his salary to Higgins'? Higgins is underpaid.

And he makes the same as Ovechkin and Crosby because there is a cap on the the amount they are allowed to receive.

Why even bring this up?

$850 000 for three years. That kid will be great by the end of the season and amzing in year three where $850 000 will be considered a bargain. Then you will be saying what a genious move.

Kinda like the big shpeel you farted out that Kovalev would never be a center. Well, he is now. I don't know why you keep slammin on Latendresse. I guess you'll stop when he gets going.