Getting sick of goalie situation

johnnyhasbeen

I wish that Bob and Guy would just make it clear that Huet is the #1 goalie, start him tonight in this big game and give Abie the choose of being number 2 or moving. I like Abiescher but feel that Huet, currently #4 in save percentage is the man on this team. I don't know what can be proved starting abie tonight, as even if he has a great game we are stil plattooning goalies. This doesn't allow a goalie time to get in the zone.

Ottawa has the same situation. Emery is the guy to go to there. Case closed. Ditch Gerber for Abie and they both ride the planks, saving face by being on a new team, thereby not having lost the fight for 1st spot.

I notice on both teams a difference in the confidence of their teams when Huet and Emery play. When you know the goalie will stop the easy ones and come up with the big stops you feel you can win. Simple.

Time for both managers to say enough is enough and be done with it. My opinion.

If the goalies don't have a problem with 1A and 1B then its really a non issue.

i agree. Although, I think Huet's done more to earn the number 1 spot, Aebi hasn't been a slouch, he's just had shaky games when our boys haven't shown up. Ideally, I'd love to keep both.

I think Huet is up for tonight... Abby in the meantime is considered a #2 for the mistake and weak goals he allowed in the last 2 games ... I guess if that's what you wanted ... Huet will probably play every game from now till he makes and allow stupid goals!

Save to trading deadline.

There's still a lot of games to be played. Things can change. If Huet has shown by March that he's what we're all hoping him to be then Aebischer is not needed on this team.

And who knows what the Habs could get in return.

I think we have 2 starting goalies here and neither one will do well if not played as number 1. therefore I say Huet desearves the spot. Like to think Aebischer will stick around playing if Huet goes down to injury or when we have back to back games, ie, as a back-up. I aslo think that Danis should be given a few games this year, just to get a feel for the pace. He will be the back-up next year I believe.

We've gotta wait atleast half the year so that

1) Huet can prove that he was not a flash in the pan

2) Danis/Halak can improve and become more suited to a back-up role

I think Aebischer can easily end up as our #1 come the playoffs. We've just gotta wait and see. Though I agree that we should ride the hot hand right now.

When on his life as a habs was Huet not our best, hottest goalie?

At the start of the season Aebischer was the "better, hotter goalie." And it'll happen other times throughout the season. He can't play every game.

At the start of the season Aebischer was the "better, hotter goalie." And it'll happen other times throughout the season. He can't play every game.

Wow . 2 whole weeks. Aebischer has led or been in the top 10 goalies in the league when? And don't say the first week of the season, those stats show a too small a sample size. He is not now, nor was he in Colorado a certified #1. Face reality folks, Theo was the better of the 2 in that trade, but was on a major slump, or withdrawl or something. Fact is he is just not an elite goalie, now then or probably in the future. Huet has been in the top of the stats since taking over the role mid season last year. FACT. Budaj was giving him a run before he was traded for Christ sakes. Why do you all feel he has a hidden gift? He has yet to show me he is capable of anything but short lived hot streaks, and even Scam Ward had one of those once.

They will probably play Huet for the rest of the season but play Aebischer more then a normal backup goalie would play, (like Hedberg). But he only had one shaky game, everyone has a bad game once in a while. But when its a goalie its alot more noticable.

I still think it's too early to hand Huet a true #1 job ... he's never had that kind of work load before in the NHL ever ! example Gerber, he played his first full year last year and he got worn out and lost his job to his back up at the end of the year ... now his back up ( who has never had that kind of work load ) is struggling with it now too.

Abby is more than capable of winning games as Huet is right now ... I'd go with Huet alittle more now that he's seems to be on a hot streak but don't throw Abby under the bus just yet as he will want out. if Huet keeps it up all season, then Abby becomes alot more valuable to teams needing goalies at the deadline or in Jan/Feb.

I am not sick of it i love it. Every two games or so we have a different match up.

The otherteams must be annoyed to face two different styles of goalies.

So they cannot always use the same pattern to try scoring goals.

With Huet the other team usually are trying to move the puck faster in front of the net and then cgarge the goalie.

With Aebisher they throw pucks and wish for easy returns. But when the defense is used to pick up returns he is a puzzle to score agaisnt. Except from long shots.

The thing is... Huet SUCKED during preseason and, after 4 games this season, his AVR was over 3,00 and .880 SVP... while Aebischer AVR was below 2,00 with %SVP over .940.

Now it's the other way around and Huet is already all the way back in the top of the league with an average of 2.22 and .931 SVP. Huet was the leader in SVP last year and it looks like he's back into his form. Don't forget Huet didn't play the whole year last year (and he just played his 100th NHL game). It's not an insult to have another great goalie behind Huet. Aebischer has a great career so far. However, Huet was the best goalie in the NHL last year (when he played) and so far he's still up there with the best. There is no controversy because Aebischer want what is best for the team and, I'm sure, got a word from the coaching staff that he'll his share of starts. It's his last year before becoming UFA so we have to expect great performances of his part.

Whatever I just said, we shouldn't see Aebischer before Huet start to suck or is injured (which I hope he won't, but if he does, Aebischer will be ready). Good for Habs.

I think that as long as Huet is playing this well, it shoud be three games Huet, one game Abby. Of course, if Abby stands on his head in that one game...you roll it over and give him the next start to make it 2-2. I like the idea of playing Abby more than a regular back-up...because I want Huet to be fresh for the playoffs.

I agree.

First, a word of support for Aebischer - before the Toronto and Florida games, everyone was talking about how it seemed Aebischer was tightening his grip on the no. 1 spot - RDS was talking as though Carbo had already decided he was the no. 1 but just didn't want to announce it. A week later and people are ready to dustbin him...one soft goal against Toronto plus one weak game against Florida shouldn't spell the end for him.

Give him a game whenever there's consecutive nights, and now and again otherwise, for three reasons: 1) Forgetting the last two games, he was a major part of the Habs' good start this season, and can win a few games for them on inspired nights; 2) Huet shouldn't play much more than 50 games this season or he'll be too tired come playoff time, especially if the Habs go beyond the first round; 3) You have to play him to keep up his trade value.

Lastly, I think any pronouncements from the team over what kind of status each goalie has would be stupid. From what I remember from this summer, Aebischer is not happy being a backup goalie. I think he's satisfied with platooning, and quasi-satisfied with the pretense of platooning. Carbo is asking for unnecessary trouble by giving the Journal a headline like "HUET LE NO. 1 SELON CARBO".

I agree.

First, a word of support for Aebischer - before the Toronto and Florida games, everyone was talking about how it seemed Aebischer was tightening his grip on the no. 1 spot - RDS was talking as though Carbo had already decided he was the no. 1 but just didn't want to announce it. A week later and people are ready to dustbin him...one soft goal against Toronto plus one weak game against Florida shouldn't spell the end for him.

Give him a game whenever there's consecutive nights, and now and again otherwise, for three reasons: 1) Forgetting the last two games, he was a major part of the Habs' good start this season, and can win a few games for them on inspired nights; 2) Huet shouldn't play much more than 50 games this season or he'll be too tired come playoff time, especially if the Habs go beyond the first round; 3) You have to play him to keep up his trade value.

Lastly, I think any pronouncements from the team over what kind of status each goalie has would be stupid. From what I remember from this summer, Aebischer is not happy being a backup goalie. I think he's satisfied with platooning, and quasi-satisfied with the pretense of platooning. Carbo is asking for unnecessary trouble by giving the Journal a headline like "HUET LE NO. 1 SELON CARBO".

I completely agree. Also, when we played toronto the in game 2, the score should've been like 7-1 Toronto if it wasn't for Aebischer standing on his head, especially on the Toronto powerplay at the end of the game.

He didn't have a good game against Toronto in game 3, he let in a couple of soft goals. His confidence was shot after getting pulled from the game in my opinion. The next game against Florida that Abby played, he had no confidence whatsoever. Give him some time. He'll be back.

Being the said #1 does alot for a goalies confidence. You shouldn't have the threat of an off night equalling a benching. Kovalev would be pine tar by now if we treated forwards that way. Not bashing Aebi, just feel Huet has done nothing but prove he desearves the job. Aebi, although a great goalie hasn't shown me that either last year or for more than a few games this season. Even if they were playing equally, one goalie should get the confidence boost that knowing your coach and team are behind you gives. Try platoonong your top center and see what the result is. maybe we shouldn't stipulate top line, just rotate the icetime like they do in minor hockey. Be about the same.