Wait till the second line gets going...

Aebischer4life

Wow what a win! I see a lot of things to be happy about from the habs this year.

Our first line is just dinamite, having combined for 46 points! (Koivu 16, Higgins 13, Ryder 11 and Latendresse 6)

Our third line is so brilliant at shutting down the other teams top line. They did it against Forsberg, did it against Lecavalier & company, did it against Kovalchuk and Hossa tonight and the list goes on and on. Not to mention they've combined for 27 points! Awesome for a third line!

Our 4th line has a little bit of everything. Plekanec is a very talented hockey player, Begin will always give everything he's got on the ice and fires up our team and is a terrific pk-er.

Our D is now very solid without Niinimma and with an improvement from Rivet, Markov and Souray. With Bouillon back, our D will be even better. He will help the transition game very much. Not to mention Souray and Markov leading all dman in the league with 16 and 17 points a peace! Markov has 15 assists in 19 games! WOW!

And what to say about our goaltending. Is Cristobal Huet back or what? Check out his numbers not counting the first 4 games.

8 GP

5-1-0 (doesnt get a loss or win because of two games where Abi was pulled)

11 goals on 234 shots

0.953 save %

1.65 GAA

1 shutout

Overall, Huet is now second in the league with a 0.931 save % and 5th with a 2.22 GAA.

As you can see there's one thing that is missing. A FREAKIN SECOND LINE! Kovalev, Samsonov and Kostitsyn are in such a dryspell it isnt even funny anymore. Other then Kovalev's empty net goal vs Ottawa, here are their stats in the last 8 games.

Kovalev: 0 G, 1 A, 1 P

Samsonov: 0 G, 2 A, 2 P

Kostitsyn: 0 G, 0 A 0 P (albeit in 4 games for him)

We all know what Kovalev and Samsonov can do when they get hot. I sense that they're gonna get hot very soon and that our team will be that much better!

GO HABS GO!

Could be waiting an awful long time.

Kovalev has been poor at centre. Samsonov can stickhandle (because mom always said to say something nice) and Kosty, while working harder than both the others, is stuck with both the others. When Higgs gets back there should bew some hope, but I honestly feel the big problem is the weak efforts Kovy puts in regularly. Even if you drop one of Ryder, Lats, or Higgs to the second line and (presumably) Kosty off, I still can't see a huge difference.

I feel bad for Higgins. He was having a great season, but since the first line still looks good out there, he might get relegated to the second to offer a spark to the stagnant Kovalev. That's a tough task for anyone to endure. Kovy is not playing a whole lot better than *choke* Ribeiro did in that spot.

Could be waiting an awful long time.

Kovalev has been poor at centre. Samsonov can stickhandle (because mom always said to say something nice) and Kosty, while working harder than both the others, is stuck with both the others. When Higgs gets back there should bew some hope, but I honestly feel the big problem is the weak efforts Kovy puts in regularly. Even if you drop one of Ryder, Lats, or Higgs to the second line and (presumably) Kosty off, I still can't see a huge difference.

I feel bad for Higgins. He was having a great season, but since the first line still looks good out there, he might get relegated to the second to offer a spark to the stagnant Kovalev. That's a tough task for anyone to endure. Kovy is not playing a whole lot better than *choke* Ribeiro did in that spot.

In all fairness Kovalev is consitantly double teamed every night and is playing injured. I admit he could do MUCH better but lets not start comparing him to Ribeiro.

Tonight, Kovalchuk, Hossa and Kozlov who are 3 of the leagues top 10 forwards couldnt do much since they were double teamed all night.

who are we kidding Kovalev is playing injured and sucks at faceoffs... tonight he played 15 minutes!!!

Idealy we need another top centre!! but I can't see it happen unlesss

unless a trade is forced upon us and we've decided to trade either markov or souray ( this only because chances are we are stuck with rivet at 2.5 million and we cant afford either souray and markov..along with abby

I dont wanna trade no one anymore! just if time wont make that second line click if time dont turn kovalev into a respectable centre.. were gonna have to trade

the only other solution within reason is to put Koivu between the russians! and that would mean putting either Plek or Grabovsky up with ryder and Higgins/latendresse

I am convinced trade is the only way out the queston is when!

there is no way I'm fissdling with that third line! its untouchable... getting bonk and perogy playing like that! never in a million years!

Edited by CoRvInA

sung to the tune of the second line blues, yeah

Kovalev is the question -- if he needs surgery do it now, if it's rehab get the best, because this is where Gainey can tinker, there are no worries about the rest.

anyway there is more good than bad to report from the team for a change!

Habs are on schedule for a glorious 100th birthday

I'm very pleased top to bottom. I'm not concerned about the 2nd line except if Kovalev or Samsonov have the room to cycle instead of sending a pass through blocked lanes (opposing sticks), I'd be happier. Cycle the puck and cause the opposing team to adjust positionally. If Sammy is cycling then Kosty or Kovy could park at C and on the opposite wing. Stop having passes intercepted. The intercepted passes are turning into opposing breakouts TOO MUCH!

The 1st and 3rd line is wicked. I also find the opposition getting caught by the 4th line. Pleks is so shifty and speedy at times that the other team is almost caught like a deer in headlights. Often it's a scoring chance. Last night he did a back pass from behind the net and centered it in the slot. A VERY dangerous pass. Other teams are getting caught time and time again :clap:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I thought the same last night. We have an explosive team here, but the second line is not firing. My suggestion is to try Higgins as center when he comes back. Just to see if it works. His work ethic should spread and maybe they will start to put up numbers. Very impressed by the 3rd line, and to think, half of you wanted Bonk gone in the off season.

What i think is the key to second line success is the power play.

Koivu usually get Markov and Souray as quaterback.

Most of the time he wins draws or hiswingers work to keep the puck in the zone. They give the puck to MArkov and move in front of the net.

Kovalev gets Rivet and Streit as quaterbacks. He loses draws his wingers don't fight the puck and they claer the zone.

I say use Kovalev at quaterpoint on the second PP. With Bonk, Johnson and Samsonov.

OK, i got it, the solution to all our problems!!!!!!!

Higgins is a natural center. He played Center in Jr and for the American under 21 team, the team he wore the C for.

Since Laatendresse is doing spectacularly well in Higgin's apsence (not that you can compare the two, Higgins was dominant) i say we can move higgins to the second line center position between Kovalex and Samsonov.

Also, i think we should separate Sourray and Markov in normal game situations. Put streit with Sourray as he can do an equally fine job feeding him the puck. For now, we put Rivet with Markov untill Bouillon gets back, who will then take Rivet's spot.

And there you go, an easy answer to all our problems (i hope)

The problem with the 2nd line is they're trying to be to fancy and make nice passing plays ... they need to drive the net and shoot ... or at least try to cycle the puck down low when it's called for.

now the 2 posters above me make great points ... I don't think it would be a bad idea to put higgins with sammy and kovy ... at least maybe some of higgins great work ethic will rub off on them. But until he comes back that won't happen.

As for the 2nd line power play ... don't break up Souray and Markov .. its works ! don't risk derailing the 1st pp line. Rivet and Striet are fine, but I agree with not having Kovalev center the power play ... have Bonk or Johnson do it at least they can win more faceoffs. It would also help the down low play and then at least they will get in front of the net.

either that or just give power play time to the 3rd line.

:hlogo:

What i think is the key to second line success is the power play.

Koivu usually get Markov and Souray as quaterback.

Most of the time he wins draws or hiswingers work to keep the puck in the zone. They give the puck to MArkov and move in front of the net.

Kovalev gets Rivet and Streit as quaterbacks. He loses draws his wingers don't fight the puck and they claer the zone.

I say use Kovalev at quaterpoint on the second PP. With Bonk, Johnson and Samsonov.

This makes sense!

Just a note re Kovalev on faceoffs...

Yes, he's the worst among the 5 players who've taken a considerable number of faceoffs on the team (Begin, Koivu, Plekanec, Bonk), but the difference isn't really significant. If they each took 40 faceoffs, Kovalev would win 18, Plekanec would win 19, Bonk would win 20, Koivu 21. To me, that sort of difference isn't really important enough to sway decisions on how to build the lines. It's not like he's competing with Yanic Perreault here.

That said, I do like the idea of Higgins centring the two Russians when he gets back. Part of the problem with that line - other than the obvious lack of scoring right now - is that they're defensive liabilities. That line was on when Atlanta scored last night, and it was Samsonov and Kostitsyn's last shift for the game (Kovalev replaced Murray on the 4th). Higgins should give the line more defensive strength (though he is -3 in 5-on-5 play, just like Kovalev).

OK, i got it, the solution to all our problems!!!!!!!

Higgins is a natural center. He played Center in Jr and for the American under 21 team, the team he wore the C for.

Since Laatendresse is doing spectacularly well in Higgin's apsence (not that you can compare the two, Higgins was dominant) i say we can move higgins to the second line center position between Kovalex and Samsonov.

Also, i think we should separate Sourray and Markov in normal game situations. Put streit with Sourray as he can do an equally fine job feeding him the puck. For now, we put Rivet with Markov untill Bouillon gets back, who will then take Rivet's spot.

And there you go, an easy answer to all our problems (i hope)

That's what I suggested (as well as other users) in the Higgins thread.

Carbo simply might not have any other choices than put Higgy on the 2nd on his return. For starters the 1st works too well now; and the 2nd needs an energy guy.

The problem is Kovalev's knee. That line won't work until his knee does. If it ever does. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm very worried about that, and I agree that he should go for an operation now if necessary rather than keep limping on. And don't tell me that 'that's just Kovalev, he doesn't give 100%.' The Kovalev of last season never struggled like this.

I have a sneaking suspicion that, were Kovy to take a powder due to injury or whatever, Samsonov would start playing better. I think Kovy takes up a lot of space on that line and the other players seem to defer to him a bit much. It gets 'em off their game.

The problem is Kovalev's knee. That line won't work until his knee does. If it ever does. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm very worried about that, and I agree that he should go for an operation now if necessary rather than keep limping on. And don't tell me that 'that's just Kovalev, he doesn't give 100%.' The Kovalev of last season never struggled like this.

I have a sneaking suspicion that, were Kovy to take a powder due to injury or whatever, Samsonov would start playing better. I think Kovy takes up a lot of space on that line and the other players seem to defer to him a bit much. It gets 'em off their game.

Give me a break. The guy doesn't skate hard untill the playoffs, so don't tell me he looks slow because of his knee. It's all in his head. If his knee was really that big of a problem, the team doctors would take him out of action now so that we have him for playoff time.

If Yzerman an 40 years old can lead the league in playoff scoring with one leg, that a younger kovy should be doing fine. The problem with that line is that sammy never shoots and kovy shouldn't play center

Put Plekanek back on the second line at center and move Kovalev to the fourth line center untill his knee is healed or until he decides to play hard like everyone else.

Carbo has tried a few things on that second line and nothing has worked. Yet all the players that have moved in and out of the second line are doing great in other places. Latendresse, Perezhogin and Plekanec are all doing awesome.

Kovalev is the problem. If he is hurt then get him out of there, if he is lazy then get him out of there.

Put Plekanek back on the second line at center and move Kovalev to the fourth line center untill his knee is healed or until he decides to play hard like everyone else.

Carbo has tried a few things on that second line and nothing has worked. Yet all the players that have moved in and out of the second line are doing great in other places. Latendresse, Perezhogin and Plekanec are all doing awesome.

Kovalev is the problem. If he is hurt then get him out of there, if he is lazy then get him out of there.

Okay...see some stats about Kovalev in his last few games...Thats true. But, you cant afford to lose a guy like him. I'm assuming that the knee has fluid in it, and is swelled up. He will come around very soon if he decides to get the fluid drained out. By demoting him to the fourth line would be like a dagger in his heart, he wont put up with that either. AK 27 will be back soon, just have faith and be positive about things. Its not like the team is in a slump or anything...in fact, they're doing pretty damn good if you ask me. If you "get him out of there" like you say, who is going to replace him? AHL rookies are mistake prone and could cost our team goals that Kovalev wouldn't even on one leg. You go from one level to the next, fundamental mistakes always happen because the pace is faster and the decisions need to be made quicker. Just give it time and let it be until we either a) start losing B) Kovalev is taking several penalties a game because he cant keep up :hlogo:

Edited by justintb

We need a Shanahan on the second line! .............. as that is freaking impossiblle cause of the latter's wife

we have no other choice but to try Higgins on the second... while leaving kovalev at centre for now!... ideally it should be Lats sent to the second but it wont work!

Now that Kosty has been sent to hamilton I can only imagine that carbo is going to juggle all four lines... if that isnt the case then a trade is coming!

ok Plek is back at the middle of the two russians... what now? reasonably speaking it aint too far fetched that both Samsonov and more importantly Kovalev realize what Pleks role is (kovlev having felt in the flesh what Plek has to deal with) and also Plek now even though he has more wieght on his shoulders than on the fourth line ... should all in all more focused on his task... and if it doesnt work he knows it wont be his fault entirely! plus it cant be as tough as the first time around! ...

Plekanec isn't much of an offensive whiz though. He doesn't have that spark to work with the kinds of players that those two are. They need a certain type of centre to play well, and obviously that needed centre is not on the Canadiens roster right now.

It's not easy to find one either, a #2 centre and a top 4 defenseman are the most needed items for every team in the league.

Plekanec isn't much of an offensive whiz though. He doesn't have that spark to work with the kinds of players that those two are. They need a certain type of centre to play well, and obviously that needed centre is not on the Canadiens roster right now.

It's not easy to find one either, a #2 centre and a top 4 defenseman are the most needed items for every team in the league.

And the only other position they would give it up for is if they are in deep need of a number one goalie! ;)

were not the best team to deal with but were in a good spot... abby with his potential and $$$ is an attractive playing card!