Video Game Thread

Fanpuck33

You call the 360 the midpoint? I guess the PS3 (bug free) would be the upper end of the scale then? The Wii the more affordable, less graphically intensive, though physically stimulating lower tier?

FYI, I'm brand loyal. Always been a Sony fan. Is there a real reason NOT to get one, assuming the bugs are all worked out?

I'm loyal to whatever is cheap. When I was 6, I bought the NES. That would have been 5 years after its US release. After that, I didn't get another console until the PS1 dropped in price for the first time. I chose it over the N64 because of the price and quantity of games. Next I got a PS2 when it dropped to 200 bucks. Loved the backwards compatibility, so I never even considered an XBox.

Now, I still don't like XBox, so I'm not a big 360 fan. Would love to stay with Sony, but I'm not cranking out that much money for a system and games, especially since I don't own an HDTV. I see no reason to pay that much for better graphics. The Wii, on the other hand, it both cheap and unique, a combination that gamers all over are loving. It has become gameplay vs. graphics. Because Sony was stupid and launched with only 200,000 units, Nintendo is killing them. I have a feeling that many who wanted a PS3 have decided to go for the Wii instead, simply because of availability.

I'm loyal to whatever is cheap. When I was 6, I bought the NES. That would have been 5 years after its US release. After that, I didn't get another console until the PS1 dropped in price for the first time. I chose it over the N64 because of the price and quantity of games. Next I got a PS2 when it dropped to 200 bucks. Loved the backwards compatibility, so I never even considered an XBox.

Now, I still don't like XBox, so I'm not a big 360 fan. Would love to stay with Sony, but I'm not cranking out that much money for a system and games, especially since I don't own an HDTV. I see no reason to pay that much for better graphics. The Wii, on the other hand, it both cheap and unique, a combination that gamers all over are loving. It has become gameplay vs. graphics. Because Sony was stupid and launched with only 200,000 units, Nintendo is killing them. I have a feeling that many who wanted a PS3 have decided to go for the Wii instead, simply because of availability.

Thats me in a nutshell.

Had SNES growing up, then 6th grade rolled around 8 years ago? I had major major major chest surgery over the winter break parents got me a PS1. LOVED it. Played N64 at a friends house but thought the controllers were goofy. Then when PS2 came out I waited a year or so until the price went down to 200 dollars and my sister and I bought it (we split the price so we each paid 100).

I would buy Sony again in a heart beat but the price is just too high. I don't need Blu Ray, sorry. But I've been hooked on graphics for a while now. Wii doesn't have good graphics, must break this addiction I have to high graphics > over gameplay.

Plus the remote.

Played the Wii on Tuesday in one of the classrooms in Seneca.

I was destroyed in Wii Sports (I only won in boxing) and then played a game that involved doing surgery and played out like a soap opera. The funnest part about that was having 5 people read the voices for the characters out loud while I, Dr. Styles, performed the surgery. Considering these were launch titles, I'm impressed.

All in all, and interesting gaming experience. I'll definitely pick one up when I'm not a poor student.

The medical game is known as Trauma Center (ala the second best launch title). I own it and love it. :D

As for me, I've always liked all brands but have stayed a Nintendo loyalist. I've had just about every console out there though, I always forget the earlier ones I had. The rundown...

Commodore 64

Turbo-Grafx 16

NES

SNES

Sega Genesis

Sega Game Gear

Game Boy (the regular black and white, bulky one)

Nintendo 64

PS1 (My cousin got tired of it and gave it me so he could just focus on his 64. I ended up doing the same)

Gamecube

Playstation 2

Xbox

Game Boy Color

Game Boy Pocket

Game Boy Advance

Nintendo DS

Xbox 360

Nintendo Wii

And around a year from now, I'll have a PS3. So yeah, I've pretty much wasted my life away playing video games. I guess it helps I had parents that couldn't say no either. :P

A year older then BTH.

Hey, when did I become the standard for youth!?

If someone asks me how tall Chara is, I don't say, an inch taller than PTG - I say 6'9.

damn jets.

get out much?

Haha, seeing them all at once makes it look bad but you have to remember I only have 2 or 3 at a time. I'll trade the others in, sell them, give them to charity, that kind of thing.

So I still manage to have a good social life. =P

Personally I have

NES

SNES

PS1

PS2

Gamecube

Soon : Wii

Ah, I thought so. Just making sure :)

I'm actually surprised at how well the Micro is selling. And I feel bad for the original DS. Yes, I still have the battle armor DS (as I like to refer to it). I remember about a month before the PSP came out, the Sony fanboys started up about how it would be better (sales show which is better. I bought both but thought way more of the DS. Finally sold the PSP, it was only good for portable ROM playing and movies). So I suggested we throw the two handhelds at each other and see which one survives. :lol:

San Andreas is the only one I ever actually bought, I only borrowed or rented the other ones. I've never found them particularly interesting. They're fun for a few hours but you can only steal so many cars before you get bored. It's mind boggling to me how the series has done so well, they haven't changed anything other then the time period the game is set in.

And living in the "hood" and being "gangsta" just doesn't appeal to me, thats why I don't even own Saints Row. I'm more into that medieval/fantasy stuff. Dragons and princesses and castles and all that kind of stuff.

Well, obviously graphics aren't a big deal to you but to most gamers they are. Likewise with the game franchises that you mention. It's why the Wii isn't considered a top console anymore, the real battle is between the 360 and PS3. And yes, I'm aware of the sales numbers right now - but the Wii's only selling more because they've been able to ship enough. There's still greater demand for the PS3 than the Wii, that's why they're selling for 2k plus on Ebay.

Oh and about Sony fanboys thinking the PSP is better - don't get me started on that, Mr. Nintendo fanboy ;)

It's why the Wii isn't considered a top console anymore, the real battle is between the 360 and PS3. And yes, I'm aware of the sales numbers right now - but the Wii's only selling more because they've been able to ship enough. There's still greater demand for the PS3 than the Wii, that's why they're selling for 2k plus on Ebay.

What do you mean by "anymore?" The Wii has been out for less than a month. You can't really apply that word to it. Also, you're partly right when talking about sales numbers. It's true that we can't compare them right now, since Nintendo was able to ship more units. However, eBay prices don't necessarily mean the PS3 is more highly desired. The PS3 price is higher not because more people want it, but because the supply is low. Simple economics teaches that demand rockets when supply falls. Since more Wiis are on the market, fewer people "need" one, so the eBay price doesn't go as high. But notice, as we near Christmas and the Wii still isn't readily available, the prices on eBay are rising.

Commodore 64

Turbo-Grafx 16

NES

SNES

Sega Genesis

Sega Game Gear

Game Boy (the regular black and white, bulky one)

Nintendo 64

PS1 (My cousin got tired of it and gave it me so he could just focus on his 64. I ended up doing the same)

Gamecube

Playstation 2

Xbox

Game Boy Color

Game Boy Pocket

Game Boy Advance

Nintendo DS

Xbox 360

Nintendo Wii

What??? No Dreamcast???? That noisy little box was great!

What??? No Dreamcast???? That noisy little box was great!

Yeah, sadly, I never picked one up. :(

Focused solely on the Cube at the time and then it became so rare, by the time I could afford one, I couldn't find one. It's had most of it's games ported to the Cube anyway though.

Nintendo added The Forecast Channel today. =D

Hey, when did I become the standard for youth!?

If someone asks me how tall Chara is, I don't say, an inch taller than PTG - I say 6'9.

:lol:

I thought I almost saw you the other day, but then I realized that the guy wearing the Bulis jersey was about ten years too old to be you. :P

Yeah, sadly, I never picked one up. :(

Focused solely on the Cube at the time and then it became so rare, by the time I could afford one, I couldn't find one. It's had most of it's games ported to the Cube anyway though.

Nintendo added The Forecast Channel today. =D

The entire reason I got one at the time is that I'm a Ferrari junkie, and the DC was the only console that had Ferrari 355 Challenge. Hehe.

Oh, psh, I wasn't focusing on the Cube, the Dreamcast beat it by a couple years. Was out before the PS2 as well, first console to go online. Nice little gem that only had a cult following at it's start up. I could probably pick one up now though since it got the Family Guy treatment and was brought back into production last February.

I guess Sonic Adventure 2 is really good on the DC. I had the GC version, incredibly mediocre.

Why bother why a core? Send it back and get the deluxe w/ an harddrive instead, much more enjoyable this way.