Kovalev's fate

BCHabnut

It will be interesting to see what happens with Kovy at the end of the year. I hope they can keep him.I know that he isn't producing the way a player of his caliber should, and his hands sometimes get him in trouble in our zone, but the team would change a great deal without him. He is so good with the puck, and when we are having problems getting into the other zone ( you can just see how frustrated the team must get ) Kovalev is the one who gains the zone and gets the play going. The contributions that he makes are critical to the team, even though he isn't putting points on the board. This team changes way too much without Kovalev.

Ya,

Kovalev is a veteran. He doesnt have that youthful energy and adrenaline driving him every game.

But he chooses when to turn it up a notch. He certainly did against buffalo.

He will do it in the playoffs. He isnt going anwhere until the final year of his contract.

He can't skate or move like he used to, but he's still a huge part of our team. Our powerplay wouldn't be 1st in the league without him.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Kovy at the end of the year.

as far as I know, he's still locked for next two years so I'm not concerned about his future.

Im not going to even bother reading this....Look at how this team is playing...why just why on earth would you want to give up peices to a good puzzle??? yes hes underachiving but when did he not....When he was wit Jagr and Lemieux darn me to i can score 44goals with them on my line.

Hes doing good hes hustling hes hitting hes protecting ther puck he makes other teams get penalties trying to cover him, usualy tries and get a scoring chance nothing wrong with him i like our team exactly how it is no changes at all. Even at the deadline i don't think i would want a change, even if its for a second line center...plekanec is slowly getting better and showing some of his stuff.

If you noticed Plek - Sammy - kovy rnt all running around in the offensive zone looking like headless chickens their passing and making good plays, now its a team effort and i love it. ALL FOR KEEPING THE TEAM AS IS !

Ps. i didnt read your hole thing so i dont know if i did good on answering lol but if it had anything on sayin Kovalev will be moved your heavily mistaken.

A player like Kovalev will always cause some frustration with his play, but his skill and what he brings to the table vastly outweighs the negative. We are lucky to have a player of his caliber and skill. He is not only a key component of helping the Habs into the playoffs, his level at playoff time can help win games by himself let alone be the difference in any series. I am very glad we have him locked up for this year and i believe 2 more.

umm... I meant after this contract, do you think I meant cut his pay in the middle of a contract? :blink:

my guess is that, if he accepts, he'll likely sign a shorter contract for a bit less money. He'll be 36 when his contract renewal comes up. Depending on his health at the time, he could be good for 2 or 3 more years (maybe 4).

A skillset like his is not common. If he accepts what Gainey will offer, at best, he will continue to contribute positively to the team's success. At worst, he won't be a serious drain to the team but will also be a teacher/guide for the young ones coming up.

Bottom line, in my opinion, he's worth keeping if he accepts the terms given to him.

GO :hlogo: GO!

Kovalev Stays! and anyone else who wishes him gone can leave please. thank you.

Kovalev Stays! and anyone else who wishes him gone can leave please. thank you.

amen, chips... amen!

Who would take him anyways? Might as well keep him now, what any team would give up for him wouldnt be much.

But it is only a couple more seasons and then gone so not so bad. :)

Adding up last season and this season to date:

Kovalev - 90pts, 103 games = .87 points per game

Koivu - 96pts, 106 games = .91 points per game

So, by your logic, Koivu's production isn't worthy of his contract value either...so I suppose we should be looking to run him out of town too?

What I think some people fail to realize is that neither of these guys has an ideal linemate to work with. While Higgins is good, and getting better all the time, there's no doubt in my mind that Koivu would rack up more points if he had say a Dany Heatley on the wing to bury his setups. Just as I'm sure Alex Kovalev would be filling the net if he had a quality offensive center to set him up properly...and bury some of the setups that Kovy delivers (Plekanec has hands of stone...give me a break). For what they have been given to work with, both guys produce just fine...and in case you haven't noticed, the Habs are kicking ass.

Golden Rule: If it ain't broke...don't fix it!

Edited by sbhatt

NOTHING I repeat NOTHING can be said of Kovalev until during and after Playoffs... He has repeatedly showed that he saves everything for the REAL SEASON! if he sucks during the playoffs then you can start thinking about trading him or whatever... until then any thread that I read Kovalev associated with failing or lazy etc... I will ignore.

enough said

I dont buy the fact that Kovalev needs better teammates to produce.

He's incredibly talented but just doesnt want to give it his all every night.

This guy scored like 64 points in 54 games in Pittsburgh in 2002-03 playing with Jan freakin Hrdina and another nobody on his other wing.

Dont forget that's in the old nhl...

If only he gave the same effort every night, he'd have 40 points by now with the same linemates.

Kovalev has played very well in the last two games. Sure sometimes it looks as though he is not giving it his all but he does love to win. Sometimes he needs to shoot more and stop looking for the beautiful pass.

Kovalev has played very well in the last two games. Sure sometimes it looks as though he is not giving it his all but he does love to win. Sometimes he needs to shoot more and stop looking for the beautiful pass.

Yeah, I don't think Kovalev is lazy. Just a little over the hill. He's a winner - he seems like the ugy who gets frustrated every time a linemate can't keep up with one of his fancy plays.

Yeah, I don't think Kovalev is lazy. Just a little over the hill. He's a winner - he seems like the ugy who gets frustrated every time a linemate can't keep up with one of his fancy plays.

so, if he's just a little over the hill now, in two years, being bob gainey, would you sign him again? if so, for how long? (never mind the money figure... just the length of the contract...)