The Detroit Red Wings win the 2008 Stanley Cup

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully Vancouver and Minnesota can kick Calgary out of the playoffs.

Game, set, season..... Nucks are officially out of the playoffs.

Officially finished.

Lose Saturday Vancouver. You'd be doing yourselves a favour.

Couldn't care less about the West. Seems like there's really nothing new and interesting over there. Same old teams as usual. And since goalies get the spotlight, it's also the same old bunch in the West: Giguere, Turco, Kipper, Nabokov, Osgood/Hasek.

The East looks wilder. 3-4 teams weren't even in the playoffs last year. The two top teams are young, exciting but inexperienced. And except for Brodeur, you've got lots of unknown quantities in nets: Biron, Fleury, Price, Huet, Thomas, Gerber & Lundqvist together have a grand total of 30 playoffs games. Ward has 23 in 1 year, Brodeur has 164.

Couldn't care less about the West. Seems like there's really nothing new and interesting over there. Same old teams as usual. And since goalies get the spotlight, it's also the same old bunch in the West: Giguere, Turco, Kipper, Nabokov, Osgood/Hasek.

The East looks wilder. 3-4 teams weren't even in the playoffs last year. The two top teams are young, exciting but inexperienced. And except for Brodeur, you've got lots of unknown quantities in nets: Biron, Fleury, Price, Huet, Thomas, Gerber & Lundqvist together have a grand total of 30 playoffs games. Ward has 23 in 1 year, Brodeur has 164.

WEST IS BEST!!!!!!!!

The western hockey teams are loaded for a long run. Teams like Calgary and San Jose seem to have good core players that should provide positive results for their fans.

Detroit on paper is good, but they don't have that killer goalie which seems to haunt them. Colorado has the big question of goaltending too and what will Foppa do...

The Ducks seem to have the most complete roster and a deep defense. The Wild, Stars, and Preds look good in their position in the standings but in my opinion are not as complete as the other five teams.

Like anything else in the unpredictable NHL, watch the Wild end up in the finals.. ^_^

I'm just looking forward to the playoffs no matter who is in.

WEST IS BEST!!!!!!!!

Just for that, I'm cheering for Minnesota to sweep Colorado, and Calgary to make it to the SCF so Montreal can make amends for 1989.

EAST IS THE BEAST!!!

(That works, I guess)

Well the West is more predictable, in the first round at least.. Detroit, SJ and Anaheim seems to clearly be above the rest to me. The only matchup with a clear favourite in the East would be Montréal/Boston.. I just dont see at all the Habs loosing against the Bs in the playoff, not after kicking their ass 8 (you could even say 11) straight times in the season.

Too bad for the Canucks. :(

On another note, I'll be designing a new playoff tree. I think this one is too ugly. A new better (smaller) improved one will be posted shortly

Nyce playoff tree. :clap:

I'm actually happy the Nucks are out. IMO, that's actually a blessing in disguise for them as that team was just torn apart by injuries and of course whoever played them would have just walked all over them. Hopefully they lose tomorrow and get an even better draft pick.

The Wild are dangerous. They're a MUCH better team than their roster indicates. I really like what they have going there. Calgary is going to have a very hard time IMO though. It's going to be interesting to see what they can do.

Obviously I'm going to root for the Avs. From the East, I'll be watching you guys of course and Washington. I'll be watching everything really but these teams and especially my Avs. ^_^

Nyce playoff tree. :clap:

I'm actually happy the Nucks are out. IMO, that's actually a blessing in disguise for them as that team was just torn apart by injuries and of course whoever played them would have just walked all over them. Hopefully they lose tomorrow and get an even better draft pick.

The Wild are dangerous. They're a MUCH better team than their roster indicates. I really like what they have going there. Calgary is going to have a very hard time IMO though. It's going to be interesting to see what they can do.

Obviously I'm going to root for the Avs. From the East, I'll be watching you guys of course and Washington. I'll be watching everything really but these teams and especially my Avs. ^_^

I think the drafting is key but I think Nonis owes the fans and his star goalie a solid UFA. A secondary scoring threat. They're deep on D but if they can flip out a D and get let's say a "Rob Blake" then that would help too.

I think the drafting is key but I think Nonis owes the fans and his star goalie a solid UFA. A secondary scoring threat. They're deep on D but if they can flip out a D and get let's say a "Rob Blake" then that would help too.

More than that.

Daniel Sedin(3.575) - Henrik Sedin(3.575) - Andrew Brunette(4.0) or Michael Ryder(3.5)

Markus Naslund(2.0) - Mason Raymond(0.875) - Marian Hossa(8.0)

Alex Burrows(0.5) - Ryan Kesler(1.75) - Jannik Hansen(0.55)

Taylor Pyatt(1.5) - Trevor Linden(0.8) - Matt Pettinger(1.1)

Ryan Shannon(0.7), Jeff Cowan(0.7), Rick Rypien(0.6)

Mattias Ohlund(3.5) - Alexander Edler(0.55)

Willie Mitchell(3.5) - Kevin Bieksa(3.75)

Lukas Krajicek(1.1) - Sami Salo(3.5)

Mike Weaver(0.6)

Roberto Luongo(6.75)

Drew MacIntyre(0.5)

Plus Chouinard buyout(0.375)

Hopefully we dump Cowan somehow and if so the cap with this team of 23 players(Brunette option instead of Ryder for this estimate) would be: 53.65 mill or very close to that. This would leave Vancouver with approximately 2.65 mill of cap space if the cap does go up to the projected 56.3 mill cap they expect. I also doubt Brian Rolston makes it to UFA but Vancouver should be really interested if he were available...

On the farm: Luc Bourdon, Corey Schneider, Michael Grabner, Jason Jaffray, Nathan McIver, Jozef Balej for example.

The situation Vancouver's in "could" be great. The question remains is that can Nonis make the right moves to finally put this team in great shape.... That's the question I'm really worried about.

BACK on topic.

I think a Pittsburgh-Washington series would be downright awesome for us fans to watch. If the Habs get the Bruins....that'll be priceless.

I think the Avs-Wild series if it happens is going to be one hell of a series though. Can't wait for the playoffs!

Edited by Captain_Stealth

I picked Detroit before the season, so I'll have to stick with them.

If the Habs draw Boston, I'll be happy. :clap:

I think a Pittsburgh-Washington series would be downright awesome for us fans to watch. If the Habs get the Bruins....that'll be priceless.

Pittsburgh-Washington mathematically can't happen until the conference finals. Washington either gets the division or is out.

If Montreal wins, Philly needs to win and Boston needs to lose for a Habs-Bruins matchup.

OR, if Montreal loses, Philly needs to lose and Boston needs to lose.

At least I think all that is correct....

My brain hurts.

Pittsburgh-Washington mathematically can't happen until the conference finals. Washington either gets the division or is out.

Not true. If Washington and Montreal win their last games and Pittsburgh loses, then Washington and Pitt could meet in the second round.

I just got served.

I thought they could face 1st round? Must of misunderstood wherever I heard it then.

Hopefully it happens though.

It was a possibility until Carolina lost to Florida tonight.

Ahhh whocares.

I hope Calgary loses. :D