Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

While I doubt the Habs could get Marleau...I wouldn't underestimate Souray. Souray is one of the best offensive d-men in the league. Top 5 for sure. Marleau is a great player but he isn't even the top centre on his team...but I would say he is top 25 in the league in his position. Relatively speaking.

That being said; if Souray was not a UFA at seasons end then his value would be through the roof. "Experts" are saying he will get at least 6 million/season this summer from a team looking to bolster their powerplay.

If San Jose was certain to be able to re-sign Souray at less than market value they would be crazy not to take him and a young/cheap 2-way player like Plekanec (making close to the league minimum next year). Marleau is a UFA after next season and will probably leave San Jose to be a number 1 guy elsewhere. Hannan is a UFA at the end of this season...and their defensive depth is not that great.

I don't think it would be completely unreasonable for Marleau to be pryed from San Jose. Both teams would be solving their biggest needs.

The Sharks are making a run at the cup, they will not give up Marleau. However they could get one of there young D men for Souray. Carle and Vlassic are good young D, they both can skate, which is what the Habs need.

Sure the Sharks are making a run for the cup.

But look at from their perspective. What are they missing? A scoring defenceman would be my answer. What have they two of? Power-franschise-centers and if they want't to solve their current problems and boost their blueline then they will have to cut some of their better players.

With the extra money Sharks could also get any rental they want as Im quiet sure they will use that extra first rounder to get a scoing left winger. Maybe Sturm would be their choice?

Im not even sure if this proposal would favour the Habs more than the Sharks.

Joni Pitkanen was suckerpunched in practice by the Flyers enforcer Todd Fedoruk. The HockeyCentral bunch think it might be a good idea for other teams to explore whether this guy wants out of Philly.

Would be a good idea for Gainey to do as well.

Why would San Jose want to move Marleau? Him and Thornton are the franchise. Sheldon Souray isn't a comparable player.

I don't think they want to move Marleau, but they might have to move him to be where they want to be.

If the Sharks brass feels that they need an allstar D-man on the back end for a playoff run they would have to consider Marleau as an option to get one because that is the position they have the most star depth at. Consider that re-signing Souray could be done quickly because of his need to be in California (with his daughter) and it suddenly turns into not renting a player for a shot at the cup and worth the departure of "franchise " player that you have two of already.

I think Souray is in Marleau's league for a trade just because he is a coveted UFA that will cause a bidding war on the open market. Once a player like him hits the market, getting that player is not only more expensive, but more of a gamble. GM's don't like to gamble unless it is a super prospect worth taking a chance on.

Souray is having a career year on a team completely devoted to the powerplay. He is not a good defenseman outside of his shot. He isn't worth the 5 million or whatever amount he will be asking for. He isn't a leader and his passing is awful, there is no way the sharks will trade their future for someone they can sign in the offseason.

Keep dreaming guys.

:hlogo: If the habs are to go after Forseberg they should ask for Pitkanen also so they have something in return in case Forseberg retires or walks. I'd offer Aebischer, Markov, Rivet, Plecanek, Samsonov & a conditional pick for Forseberg, Pitkanen, S. Kapanen & M. Grenier. Grenier use as an extra forward for muscle on the 4'th line when needed. Then we have Pitkanen to replace Markov and use Streit or Cote to replace Rivet & then this also allows us to sign Souray long term. Then if Zherdev is available offer Perezhogin, Ryder & Ninnimaa for Zherdev & Modin. Then The Habs look like this:

Huet, Danis

Komisarek, Pitkanen

Cote, Souray

Dandenault, Bouillon

Koivu, Higgins, Kovalev

Forseberg, Zherdev, Modin

Bonk, Johnson, Kapanen

Begin, Latendresse, Streit (Lapierre to fill in for Begin) Grenier as replacement for Streit when needed. Send Downey to minors.

:hlogo: If the habs are to go after Forseberg they should ask for Pitkanen also so they have something in return in case Forseberg retires or walks. I'd offer Aebischer, Markov, Rivet, Plecanek, Samsonov & a conditional pick for Forseberg, Pitkanen, S. Kapanen & M. Grenier. Grenier use as an extra forward for muscle on the 4'th line when needed. Then we have Pitkanen to replace Markov and use Streit or Cote to replace Rivet & then this also allows us to sign Souray long term. Then if Zherdev is available offer Perezhogin, Ryder & Ninnimaa for Zherdev & Modin. Then The Habs look like this:

Huet, Danis

Komisarek, Pitkanen

Cote, Souray

Dandenault, Bouillon

Koivu, Higgins, Kovalev

Forseberg, Zherdev, Modin

Bonk, Johnson, Kapanen

Begin, Latendresse, Streit (Lapierre to fill in for Begin) Grenier as replacement for Streit when needed. Send Downey to minors.

Pitkanen to replace Markov? ARE YOU INSANE?

Forsberg wont sign here by the way.

Souray is having a career year on a team completely devoted to the powerplay. He is not a good defenseman outside of his shot. He isn't worth the 5 million or whatever amount he will be asking for. He isn't a leader and his passing is awful, there is no way the sharks will trade their future for someone they can sign in the offseason.

There is no doubt in my mind that he will get at least $4M next season.

Keep dreaming guys.

Souray = 20 goals, 50+ points, as long as he's healthy and not getting divorced. This is indeed a *career year* but facts are facts. That's a top-5 NHL offensive defenceman. Especially in this specialty-teams era.

Now, is he worth Marleau? Probably not - it'd depend on whether the Sharks have someone to replace him. You could also argue that Marleau's totals are inflated because he plays behind Thornton. But I'm really getting tired of people on this board acting as though Souray is a piece of crap. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Marleau is not going anywhere this year barring an unbelievable offer coming their way and that offer has nothing to do with Sheldon Souray. The Sharks already have the BEST pp in the league so why would the need Souray.

Also unless the Habs lose 10 consecutive and find themselves only better then the Flyers Souray will still bea wearing the CH in March.

Bruce Garrioch are reporting that the Habs are interested in Sean Avery... I think I like the Leafs more than Avery. Would be a funny feeling.

About Souray. Why not face it. The Canadiens will have a hard time keeping Souray. Two reasons as he's in for a big raise and word is that he wants to be closer to his daughter.

Why not try to solve our own problems when Los Angeles and San Jose probably would love to have him. Anaheim's defence are allready good enough so they probably wouldn't be that interested.

Atleast Avery knows how to throw a body check. He could teach the rest of the players what intensity and using the body is all about. I say go for it. Begin Avery lapierre Nice physical line.

I actually hope we trade Souray as I know someone will pay him that huge contract and he will not live up to it. I really hope that isn't us, let the leafs be the ones with a over-rated and over-paid defense. LA looks like the best place as they are looking to do some rebuilding and Souray can help their Powerplay. They also have some really good talent to send back our way that isn't superstar quality but very much within our bargaining range.

Sure we would miss that shot on the PP but we really need someone to rejuvenate our forwards.

On a topic other than Avery (ugh) or Souray...

This ISN'T based on a rumour. In fact, what puzzles me is the ABSENCE of rumours about Kovalev.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I have to think that Kovalev is not too far from the prototype player that a contender wants to add at deadline time: crazy talented, known for performing in the playoffs, Cup experience...

Surely the big salary wouldn't be too enormous a deterrent for a team that believes themselves to be 'one player away?' Especially if the Habs agree to eat part of that paycheck.

I can see the big guy being moved, perhaps as part of a package, especially given our surplus of talented wingers in the system.

Wishful thinking? (Actually, I love the guy - my concern is that his knee is damaged goods, which would go a loong way to explaining his non-performance this season).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

darren dregor mentioned something about the oilers wanting a d-man like souray and possible using torres or lopul as trade bait... i think lopul has tremendous upside

Surely the big salary wouldn't be too enormous a deterrent for a team that believes themselves to be 'one player away?' Especially if the Habs agree to eat part of that paycheck.

Team's can no longer eat part of contracts.

Back to Forsberg. Tim Pannachio...who has always been adamant Forsberg will not be traded has changed his tune. Forsberg was benched for part of the game today and after the game Forsberg was very frustrated and said he hated losing and he hated not playing well. He is meeting with the GM tonight or tomorrow to decide his future.