Jump to content
Fanpuck33

Permanent Rumour Thread

Recommended Posts

I agree there are some question marks with Danault. 

 

He was a solid even strength point producer last season. 37 points is 83rd in the league for ESP. That puts him around 37th among centres (Byron was also very good for ESP scoring.)

 

His points didn't actually change much with his line change. He had a big January with 11 points in 14 games. Otherwise:

 

October - December: 16 points in 37 games

February - April: 13 points in 31 games

 

Most players strike out in losses while getting their points in wins, but Danault is interesting with only two points in 26 losses. (four in 35 if you count OTL). Compare that with Artturi Lehkonen who had 7 of his 28 points in losses (10 if you count OTL). Guys like Shaw and Plekanec didn't score much in losses either, but Danault was exceptionally low.

 

I think on his current numbers, I can see him developing into the Habs version of Tyler Bozak. Maybe less on scoring. That's just based on weighing out his positives and negatives currently. I don't see any scoring flair in him that would make me think he'll become a first line centre, while his strong even strength scoring tells me that he'd get a bump with some powerplay time and could break 50 points to be a solid second line centre.

 

But that becomes the question, do you keep playing him as a first line guy or do you do the right thing and drop him to the second line with secondary offence immediately? I think the Habs end up playing him on the top line again, unless Drouin or Galchenyuk have a dominant exhibition at centre. Someone will have to emerge over him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott462    54

Looks like Markov will not be returning to Montreal. He will be having a conference call later this afternoon.

 

i have a feeling he's heading back to Russia for the KHL and Olympics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    9
11 hours ago, Scott462 said:

Looks like Markov will not be returning to Montreal. He will be having a conference call later this afternoon.

 

i have a feeling he's heading back to Russia for the KHL and Olympics.

good call

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    645

The Habs are one of two teams (the other being Arizona) to offer 20-year-old undrafted RW Artur Tyanulin a rookie camp invite.  He spent the last three seasons with Ottawa of the OHL and had 85 points in 67 games last season.  He already has a tryout deal in place with Kazan in the KHL as well.

 

http://sport.business-gazeta.ru/article/195648/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John B    9

According to The Hockey News Rumor Roundup, U of Denver dman Will Butcher is going to test the free agent market in August.  He's a 5'10", 190lb. left shooting defenseman selected by the Avs 123rd overall in 2013.  Had some pretty strong seasons at Denver and was a member of the U.S. WJC team twice.  I know that the Habs rarely land a lot of high profile college free agents, but I'm wondering how much interest they will show in him.  He would be a nice addition to the prospect pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    645
31 minutes ago, John B said:

According to The Hockey News Rumor Roundup, U of Denver dman Will Butcher is going to test the free agent market in August.  He's a 5'10", 190lb. left shooting defenseman selected by the Avs 123rd overall in 2013.  Had some pretty strong seasons at Denver and was a member of the U.S. WJC team twice.  I know that the Habs rarely land a lot of high profile college free agents, but I'm wondering how much interest they will show in him.  He would be a nice addition to the prospect pool.

 

I'm sure they'll show some interest but so will 30 other teams (Colorado will still be in the mix, his agent said).  If he wants an NHL job right away, I don't think Montreal will get much consideration.  If he's willing to wait a little bit, they may have better luck considering the lack of left side depth they have in Laval.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    599
6 hours ago, John B said:

According to The Hockey News Rumor Roundup, U of Denver dman Will Butcher is going to test the free agent market in August.  He's a 5'10", 190lb. left shooting defenseman selected by the Avs 123rd overall in 2013.  Had some pretty strong seasons at Denver and was a member of the U.S. WJC team twice.  I know that the Habs rarely land a lot of high profile college free agents, but I'm wondering how much interest they will show in him.  He would be a nice addition to the prospect pool.

 

He's a third pairing guy IMO.  Not a solution to our dilemna. 

 

I'd take him cause hey, free asset... but I wouldn't be guaranteeing him anything. 

 

I'm not sure he's any better than Streit, Jerabek or Morrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Link67    95
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

 

He's a third pairing guy IMO.  Not a solution to our dilemna. 

 

I'd take him cause hey, free asset... but I wouldn't be guaranteeing him anything. 

 

I'm not sure he's any better than Streit, Jerabek or Morrow. 

 

 

I always find myself questioning the viability of a Drafted college free agent vs the Undrafted ones, if Colorado who has been in defensive purgatory for years now couldn't bother keeping him in their organization, what make him so special now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    599
4 minutes ago, Link67 said:

 

 

I always find myself questioning the viability of a Drafted college free agent vs the Undrafted ones, if Colorado who has been in defensive purgatory for years now couldn't bother keeping him in their organization, what make him so special now?

 

He's a free asset who has a good chance to play in the NHL.  He's limited to a cheap deal by the ELC system.  Given that, many teams are interested.  I just think we have to be careful about the upside we give him... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    645
8 minutes ago, Link67 said:

I always find myself questioning the viability of a Drafted college free agent vs the Undrafted ones, if Colorado who has been in defensive purgatory for years now couldn't bother keeping him in their organization, what make him so special now?

 

It's not a matter of Colorado not wanting to sign him.  They do.  He's in the same stage as Jimmy Vesey was last year and instead of signing with his drafted team, why not wait a few weeks and have a chance at picking your own team as a free agent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    599
1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

 

It's not a matter of Colorado not wanting to sign him.  They do.  He's in the same stage as Jimmy Vesey was last year and instead of signing with his drafted team, why not wait a few weeks and have a chance at picking your own team as a free agent?

 

He's also pissed at the organization.  There is bad blood there.  It stems from him asking for a contract after his junior season and Patrick Roy telling him that the Avalanche didn't think he was worthy of an offer. So he went out in his senior season, won the Hobey Baker, and now he doesn't want to sign with them, even if Roy is gone.  This is a home town kid, who choose to go to the University of Denver.. and he doesnt want to join the weakest team in the league, where he would get immediate minutes.  Its telling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Link67    95
16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

He's also pissed at the organization.  There is bad blood there.  It stems from him asking for a contract after his junior season and Patrick Roy telling him that the Avalanche didn't think he was worthy of an offer. So he went out in his senior season, won the Hobey Baker, and now he doesn't want to sign with them, even if Roy is gone.  This is a home town kid, who choose to go to the University of Denver.. and he doesnt want to join the weakest team in the league, where he would get immediate minutes.  Its telling. 

 

That makes more sense then as to why he is available, I agree with the free asset part of it, and if he turns into an NHL regular then even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    645
2 minutes ago, DON said:

Stephane Da Costa, can he play centre?

 

 

Yes, he is a centre.  He's someone I've suggested the Habs might go after since the World Championships in May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    9
1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

 

Yes, he is a centre.  He's someone I've suggested the Habs might go after since the World Championships in May.

Good enough to be a #2 centre though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    645
18 minutes ago, DON said:

Good enough to be a #2 centre though?

 

I think he's a better #3 than a #2, at least to start.  If the offensive improvements he's shown in recent years hold, he could maybe progress to a 2C but that's the absolute best case scenario.  He's a fairly low risk with medium-ish upside type of player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    645

If Butcher wants to play in the NHL right away, Montreal doesn't have a realistic chance of getting him.  If he's okay with biding his time for a year and developing in the minors though, the situation isn't quite as daunting as there are a lot of one-year contracts right now on that side (Jerabek, Morrow, Streit, while Davidson is in the final year of his deal as well).  It's safe to say now they won't keep all four around so there could be an NHL opening pretty quickly if Butcher decided on Montreal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    9
Posted (edited)

 

Habs and Philly? Normally wouldn't post this fellow's bit, but is August and something to ponder perhaps. And didn't someone note he actually seems to have somewhat credible source in Philly?

 

 

Canadiens and Flyers continue to talk. Preds new White Jersey

August 6, 2017, 4:22 PM ET [38 Comments]  
1.jpg Eklund
RSSArchiveCONTACT
A whole lot of secrecy going on between Philly and Montreal...and what looks like a third team...(Colorado?)

The Latest is Montreal is considering a deal with Colorado AFTER the deal with Philly...but there are so many moving parts that some in the organization are skeptical "but optimistic" that they can pull this off prior to the start of the season...

Regardless of who Montreal is trying to deal with right now there is very little doubt they are working overtime to improve this team..And most feel there is a path that would make the Canadiens a SOLID playoff contender...

On the Preds...

On the Front page I put a photo of the long awaited new Preds whites...What do you think? I really love them...and want one...

More to come...deals are most definitely "in the air."
Edited by DON
2nd thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    599

Makes no sense to trade the team's top scorer for a prospect D and a pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Link67    95
15 hours ago, Commandant said:

Makes no sense to trade the team's top scorer for a prospect D and a pick. 

 

No sense at all is right

 

I'm not even sure there is any sense to Galchenyuk for Sanheim let alone Pacioretty. Our top 6 has been taking water for years now, there is no way in hell i'd be ok with sacrificing more of it to add to our D. Our current D may not be all that great, but I am more willing to live with it in its current state, than watch our top 6 lose a guy like Galchenyuk and get zero in return in the top 6.

 

Personally I'd rather keep Galchenyuk, Gallagher, or Pacioretty unless one of them is part of a package that sees a top 6 Center come the other way, not a D. That is our greatest need, and they are our greatest assets, not sure I will be thrilled at all if their departure doesn't have a viable top 6 C coming the other way.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    9

Not sure why Tavares is rumoured to be a possible pick up for Habs and seems he would either stay or head for Leafs/Rangers or such, but I (and every Habsfan I assume) like the idea of seeing him at centre in a Habs jersey in 2018-19!

https://www.spectorshockey.net/2017/08/latest-john-tavares-speculation-august-8-2017/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure with all of Matthews marner and nylander expecting huge raises starting a early as next season, most likely Tavares is priced out of TO unless at least one or both wingers going the other way...

 

Agree that  better chance  of JT a ranger but, habs are probably up there on his list...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueKross    26
On 7/29/2017 at 9:54 AM, dlbalr said:

The Habs are one of two teams (the other being Arizona) to offer 20-year-old undrafted RW Artur Tyanulin a rookie camp invite.  He spent the last three seasons with Ottawa of the OHL and had 85 points in 67 games last season.  He already has a tryout deal in place with Kazan in the KHL as well.

 

http://sport.business-gazeta.ru/article/195648/

Rookie camp is probably a month away. Do you have the exact date/ Do you know of any more pending invites?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×