Boyd on waivers, cleared

JCPetit

Why not both? Cap and roster restrictions - Boyd is still on the roster now and they're carrying a full 23-man roster. Until Boyd clears (and is sent down) or is claimed, no one's getting called up.

Martin has also said Boyd will not be sent down if unclaimed.

That's too bad. There are a few kids in Hamilton I'd prefer to see up in Montreal before Boyd. He has been a huge disappointment this year.

Why not both? Cap and roster restrictions - Boyd is still on the roster now and they're carrying a full 23-man roster. Until Boyd clears (and is sent down) or is claimed, no one's getting called up.

So he's on waivers just to clear cap space? He's our cheapest player and isn't exactly useless. If they're getting rid of him so soon he must have had an argument with the coaches or something.

So he's on waivers just to clear cap space? He's our cheapest player and isn't exactly useless. If they're getting rid of him so soon he must have had an argument with the coaches or something.

He's not on waivers to save cap space, he's not being sent down if he isn't claimed. This is a message to him, plain and simple. If no one claims him, obviously Boyd isn't as good as he thinks he is...or something to that affect.

source on the not being sent down bro?

He's not on waivers to save cap space, he's not being sent down if he isn't claimed. This is a message to him, plain and simple. If no one claims him, obviously Boyd isn't as good as he thinks he is...or something to that affect.

Maybe he complained that he wasn't playing.

"I've been a starter for the past 2 years. I deserve better!"

"Oh yeah? Then how come nobody claimed your ass for free!? Nobody messes with Big Jacques!"

source on the not being sent down bro?

Multiple twitter notes from our twitter tracker on the main page (it does come in handy sometimes).

http://twitter.com/renhockey/status/1698288206086144

http://twitter.com/JFChaumont/status/1697909703712769

And of course, my own article itself. :)http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2255

"Oh yeah? Then how come nobody claimed your ass for free!? Nobody messes with Big Jacques!"

In a nutshell, that's basically what I was figuring. If he clears, he gets put in his place; if he's claimed, he wasn't doing a whole lot anyways. A surprising, but understandable move when you consider the logistics.

It does seem consistent with the organizational philosophy since JM arrived. You do as the coach commands or you are out of here...but only after consistent signals to this effect are sent. The point is to humiliate Boyd by showing him that it's not ONLY JM who is picking on him, that he is poorly regarded throughout the league. If that does not turn things around, then I would expect a demotion or else see him shipped out as a throw-in (perhaps with Pacioretty ^_^ ) This, coupled with his track record of changing teams, suggests Boyd has a significant problem between the ears.

It should be noted that if Boyd clears, he is waiver exempt for 30 days or until 10 games are played. Even though Martin may not intend to send him down right away, the option will be there this time next month as well without having to re-expose him. (I should probably note that in HW's piece...)

Watched every habs game thus far and when Boyd's played he gave 100%, has speed and better size than Pyatt and Darche. Opening night, goal, break away, buzzing all around until Martin likely pulled the reins. Yes, his +/- is a problem for the # of games he's played, but everyone is afraid of "Big Jerkes" and they get nervous and do stupid things because they know they will be benched next game. Frankly, I'm shocked. Here's another young kid with potential and prospect. Time for Muller to take over, he knows how to communicate and motivate the players. See him instructing the players at the bench when Price was pulled in the Ottawa game? Oops, forgot, he doesn't speak French, can't happen.

Watched every habs game thus far and when Boyd's played he gave 100%, has speed and better size than Pyatt and Darche. Opening night, goal, break away, buzzing all around until Martin likely pulled the reins. Yes, his +/- is a problem for the # of games he's played, but everyone is afraid of "Big Jerkes" and they get nervous and do stupid things because they know they will be benched next game. Frankly, I'm shocked. Here's another young kid with potential and prospect. Time for Muller to take over, he knows how to communicate and motivate the players. See him instructing the players at the bench when Price was pulled in the Ottawa game? Oops, forgot, he doesn't speak French, can't happen.

The guy's been a bust everywhere he's gone, and it's all Jacques Martin's fault! :rolleyes:

Yeah, have to think he complained. Desharnais would get called up if Boyd is claimed, I'd think, due to age, NHL readiness, and salary concerns. No one seems to be getting claimed right now, so I think he'll be safe.

If they were waiving a guy for roster reasons, it'd be O'Byrne. This is obviously some kind of request/disciplinary maneuver.

Dissapointing indeed. I might be crazy, but it seemed to me that we already heard good things from Boyd out of Calgary. So when we traded SK, I was hoping that Boyd coult take his spot and make a difference on the team. Which not happened at all... Dissapointing.

The guy's been a bust everywhere he's gone, and it's all Jacques Martin's fault! :rolleyes:

A depth forward on waivers? Meh.

The guy had offensive upside 3 seasons ago, but he continues to disappoint. I am not going to lose sleep

over possibly losing a 4th liner especially with a guy like Ryan White waiting for his opportunity.

That's exactly what I've been saying as of late. I think that our players are just not having fun playing for Jacque Martin. Time to hire Kirk Muller and let JM join the rest of the gang upstairs. I'm also pissed with the handling of Dustin Boyd and should I also mention other players. As for a french coach it's too late Boucher went to tampa where all the other francaphone players are. What a joke! :angry:

Ok, I certainly haven't followed his career. So why'd we trade for him then? How many of these 4th line/ Hamilton players do we really need? I can think of at least 5 players that are in between the big club and Hamilton, and none of them are of any use.

Seriously though, how much would you pay to hear Jacques Martin say the above and refer to himself as Big Jacques. Imagine it for a second. Sweet, right?

All of the speculation in this thread seems a rather silly to me. He hasn't been playing well, so he can be used to clear a bit of space on the cap. If he gets claimed, no big deal. Organizations don't send passive aggressive messages to players this way, they sit them down and explain what's expected of them. If they don't meet those expectations, they get sent down or benched. Simple.

All of the speculation in this thread seems a rather silly to me. He hasn't been playing well, so he can be used to clear a bit of space on the cap. If he gets claimed, no big deal. Organizations don't send passive aggressive messages to players this way, they sit them down and explain what's expected of them. If they don't meet those expectations, they get sent down or benched. Simple.

I would agree if not for the fact the team has stated Boyd won't be sent down if he clears. No cap space saving which then fuels the speculation that this was done to send the player a message. This is something the Habs have done before too (remember Garth Murray, who was waived more than once?). Several players have been waived and not sent down already this season, this tactic is becoming more popular each year, especially with the general reluctance to claim players off waivers.

He is creating nothing on offense, he is pushed from the puck easily

and he stinks playing team defense.

Why would they try to get rid of him ?

I cross fingers for a team with injuries an bad pro scouting to pick him up.

Exactly!!! pro-scouting like our own.

It does seem consistent with the organizational philosophy since JM arrived. You do as the coach commands or you are out of here...but only after consistent signals to this effect are sent. The point is to humiliate Boyd by showing him that it's not ONLY JM who is picking on him, that he is poorly regarded throughout the league. If that does not turn things around, then I would expect a demotion or else see him shipped out as a throw-in (perhaps with Pacioretty ^_^ ) This, coupled with his track record of changing teams, suggests Boyd has a significant problem between the ears.

Actually - you play the way JM wants, if you are a young kid. If you are a vetern feel free to cough up the puck like Spacek 5 to 10 times a game. If you are Gomez, you don't need to back check and can stand around and not take your man, so the opposition can score, it also means you can make the same lousy low percentage pass in the oppsition zone and will amply rewarded with additional ice time. It also means that if your name is Moen, it is fine to show up once every 5 games. If you name happens to Cammy, you can make a bonehead play that leads to a suspension and be backed by your coach, or take an incredibly lazy and stupid penalty when you are on a 5-3 and JM will act like nothing happened. But heaven forbid, if you are a young player, and don't goose step to his fuhrer's command and make the slgihtest mistake, you will read the pine, be banished to pressbox, or sent to Hamilton.

IMO, JM is not all that different then a blowhard dinasour like Melrose who didn't think Stamko belonged in the NHL and was a liability.

I think Boyd was a lousy pickup - he had good potential as a junior but got bounced out of Calgary and not tendered an offer in Nashville. Looks like PG got a great return for SK74, two guys who were going to be UFA's, one who didn't want to be here and another who is being waived.

Maybe this will be a message to Boyd. But frankly if he clears, he should be sent down to Hamilton and the habs should call up a guy who has been giving it his all in White, or a guy with offensive upside like Desharnais. But then again, maybe, they are better off far away from JM as possible.

Even if i was to agree with his "track record" in developing a "can't miss prospect" like Spezza et el, JM is not suited to coach in TODAY's POST-CAP NHL. You need to have a coach who can get the most of young cheap talent and unload more expensive veterns who aren't performing. You certainly don't sign a 35 year old Spacek to a three year deal and let him be a liability every night he is playing. YOu also pick up a $7.3M 50-60 point man and then don't hold him accountable when he makes worse mistakes then a rookie.

A depth forward on waivers? Meh.

The guy had offensive upside 3 seasons ago, but he continues to disappoint. I am not going to lose sleep

over possibly losing a 4th liner especially with a guy like Ryan White waiting for his opportunity.

UNless he isn't going to be sent down to make room for White as is being reported.

Edited by hab29RETIRED