Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

9/25, Habs vs Leafs

Recommended Posts

Scott462    60
12 minutes ago, DON said:

Will the kid get a 9 game try-out? Another nice assist for him.

https://www.nhl.com/fr/canadiens/video/apres-match--victor-mete/t-277616218/c-52942703

 

I like the kid a lot. Him and Hudon are the bright spots this off season oh and Jerabek.

 

Davidson looked down right awful last night too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
illWill    432
22 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Do you remember what they did last year for goal scoring, especially in  the playoffs.... Well nothing has changed. 

 

 

just-relax-just.jpg

 

 

It's preseason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    37
24 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Do you remember what they did last year for goal scoring, especially in  the playoffs.... Well nothing has changed. 

Didn't you blame Therrien for that?:huh:

But you are correct, that if Galchenyuk and Pacioretty get zero goal this year they wont even make the playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    278
42 minutes ago, DON said:

Didn't you blame Therrien for that?:huh:

But you are correct, that if Galchenyuk and Pacioretty get zero goal this year they wont even make the playoffs. 

It ain't the be all end all. Just sayin it hasn't looked pretty. I guess this is what these games are for though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    633
9 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Good thing those things and what's happening this year have nothing to do with one another.

 

I expect the Habs to be a process team this season and get better as the months wear on. Not the most fun thing as a fan but if it works, it works.

 

- Montoya sucks

- De La Rose looked good today

- I'd be fine with Mete starting the season with    the Habs and even as Weber's partner / It won't last the whole year but we could run with it while it lasts and then Mete can still potentially find himself somewhere in the lineup. I want some offense on the top pairing and it seems like he can/may provide it a lot better than our second best offensive option on the back end, Streit

 

 

I'm not saying those things will repeat. 

I'm saying pre-season wins/losses mean nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    633
1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

And as for the goal scoring?

 

Call me when the vets are giving 100% every shift. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    278
Just now, Commandant said:

 

Call me when the vets are giving 100% every shift. 

Your right, I'll calm down. I just hope this isn't some foreshadowing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    633
Just now, Stogey24 said:

Your right, I'll calm down. I just hope this isn't some foreshadowing 

 

The team is going to have issues scoring goals from time to time... thats the team they were last year, and thats the team they are on paper right now. 

Is it as bad as it looks in pre-season? No its not. 

But yes we still have the same problems we had last year.  I still say this team did not get worse over the off-season... but it didn't get better either.  We are still the same team, competing for division but not quite good enough for cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest  issue is the decision when Drouin can't go that they insert Mitchell into the top C spot. I'm sorry but Mitchell does not need an audition. I would of given McCarron or DeLaRose that start last night and said here you go... Show me what you got playing with one of the best goal scorers in the NHL (patch) and our relentless workhorse who never takes a shift off (Gallagher)!!

 

worst case scenario he flops... best case is he has a multi point night and his confidence gets boosted...

 

wasted opportunity to develop our players in my opinion!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

The team is going to have issues scoring goals from time to time... thats the team they were last year, and thats the team they are on paper right now. 

Is it as bad as it looks in pre-season? No its not. 

But yes we still have the same problems we had last year.  I still say this team did not get worse over the off-season... but it didn't get better either.  We are still the same team, competing for division but not quite good enough for cup. 

 

Yes, that's my assessment as well. (Of course, this isn't based on pre-season observations; but then again, pre-season tells us ZERO about the team itself, being mostly a way for prospects to show what they do and don't have).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bar    23
44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

The team is going to have issues scoring goals from time to time... thats the team they were last year, and thats the team they are on paper right now. 

Is it as bad as it looks in pre-season? No its not. 

But yes we still have the same problems we had last year.  I still say this team did not get worse over the off-season... but it didn't get better either.  We are still the same team, competing for division but not quite good enough for cup. 

 

For that reason this season doesn't excite me, I'll still watch..just wish no expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    37
8 minutes ago, bar said:

 

For that reason this season doesn't excite me, I'll still watch..just wish no expectations.

Do you think this roster will be same heading into the playoffs?

Last few years the Habs have ripped it up in Oct and Nov and has meant little, who knows how the season plays out, so why would you write it off in Sept? 

Edited by DON
just edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    160

It's easy to say it's just preseason and use that for everything. 

 

It doesn't mean much but I think it does mean something. There are star forwards on other teams who are lighting it up due to their natural skill and we don't have any of those players. 

 

Everyone is also talking about how we can't score and we do lack depth in that area but we've been blown out in many of these games and preseason or not, I think our defense is worse this year. "Upgrade this, upgrade that" but we lost some players on the back end. Admitedly Schlemko hasn't played yet and Carey Price is Carey Price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bar    23
31 minutes ago, DON said:

Do you think this roster will be same heading into the playoffs?

Last few years the Habs have ripped it up in Oct and Nov and has meant little, who knows how the season plays out, so why would you write it off in Sept? 

 

Who knows what it'll look like going into the playoffs, the management doesn't fill me with confidence like some others here, so we'll see. The bar is certainly low for expectations though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It's easy to say it's just preseason and use that for everything. 

 

It doesn't mean much but I think it does mean something. There are star forwards on other teams who are lighting it up due to their natural skill and we don't have any of those players. 

 

Everyone is also talking about how we can't score and we do lack depth in that area but we've been blown out in many of these games and preseason or not, I think our defense is worse this year. "Upgrade this, upgrade that" but we lost some players on the back end. Admitedly Schlemko hasn't played yet and Carey Price is Carey Price.

 

D is a concern of mine too. I've said before, we have a very oddly-constructed blueline unit - only one clear-cut puck-mover (Petry) in the whole bunch. Schlemko may have a similar profile, a bottom-pairing version of Petry likely to get fewer points than even Beaulieu had last year. (We should keep in mind that Schlemko is a career journeyman who was sacrificed in the expansion draft and then acquired for a 5th round pick - not exactly a core piece). Most of our D are defensive guys who are less about rushing the puck and making plays than checking and passing it out of the zone, just like defencemen prior to the Bobby Orr era. Even Weber is like this, except that he adds a cataclysmic slapshot to the mix. In theory, this group should be very good in its own end, but I wonder what the implications will be for overall team offence. And even in their own end...is this group quick and nimble enough to cope with faster, high-skilled teams like Toronto or TB? I'm guessing so, but a d-corps of this profile amounts to a big experiment in today's NHL, where everyone else is going for speed and puck-moving. We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    633
2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It's easy to say it's just preseason and use that for everything. 

 

It doesn't mean much but I think it does mean something. There are star forwards on other teams who are lighting it up due to their natural skill and we don't have any of those players. 

 

Everyone is also talking about how we can't score and we do lack depth in that area but we've been blown out in many of these games and preseason or not, I think our defense is worse this year. "Upgrade this, upgrade that" but we lost some players on the back end. Admitedly Schlemko hasn't played yet and Carey Price is Carey Price.

 

If Carey Price is in net... I'm pretty sure he stops 4 of the 5 Leafs goals. 

 

The Matthews long shot. 
The one where Montoya is lying on his back and doesn't know where they puck is... Price's rebound control wouldn't have let it get to that point. 
The shot from the goaline. 
Beaten five hole on the breakaway. 

 

Those are all stops price regularly makes, and suddenly its not a blowout.  The narrative is different as the scoreboard is close and the Habs dominated possession. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    37
2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It's easy to say it's just preseason and use that for everything. 

Would you prefer if called them exhibition games in the moneygrab series? Is important to bubble players and that is about it.

But, is nice to see Hudon, Mete and Lehkonen all playing well. Sucks that delaRose, Morrow, Davidson, Gelinas and McCarron haven't played very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    160

If one can scout peewee games, surely there's some merit to scouting a preseason game, even if it only is mainly to watch our prospects.

 

Regardless of effort, the personnel the team has to work with is becoming more apparent and so just as we can assume how our team will perform just by seeing the lines on paper, one can also take something out of watching our lineup at 70% effort. 

 

The outcome itself doesn't matter but it's still possible to get a clear idea of what we have to work with by watching. 

 

We sure did hit a lot of posts yesterday so the result could have been different but there's just a smidgen of lack of finish on the team as well, as there has been. 

 

While Carey Price would have made a difference , he still can't do it all by himself. He's only done that for one season in the past and most other seasons people overrate how valuable he is to the team. He may be more valuable than anyone in the league but I repeat that he can't do it all by himself. 

 

With him in net for a full game, our team

still lost 4-2 to Washington and if I know Carey Price, the reason he was in for the full game is because he wanted to test himself even at this early juncture.

 

I wouldn't be surprised if we win the opening game of the season 5-1. That's the point that's being made about how the preseason doesn't matter. 

 

I still think our defense is fairly weak. Streit is our second best offensive defenseman and he may not even play many of our games. Davidson would be his alternative and that's not any better in my opinion. I've actually been happy with Petry unlike some, Mete and Weber. Jerabek is alright, Benn isn't as good as when he first arrived with us and Alzner is just alright and steady as well. 

 

Mete has been the biggest pleasant surprise for me but I also think he looks so good

because of our glaring need. It makes me feel

as thought Sergachev would have looked damn good as well, despite being a different player to Mete.

 

Schlemko may balance things out but I don't think our defense provides any offense and I also don't think it's as solid in our own end as a defensive core who is weak on the offensive side of things should be.

 

I remain hopeful but this is the first season I've gone in with a skeptical mentality. Moves will eventually be made and as I stated, I expect the team to only get better as the season wears on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

If one can scout peewee games, surely there's some merit to scouting a preseason game, even if it only is mainly to watch our prospects.

 

Regardless of effort, the personnel the team has to work with is becoming more apparent and so just as we can assume how our team will perform just by seeing the lines on paper, one can also take something out of watching our lineup at 70% effort. 

 

The outcome itself doesn't matter but it's still possible to get a clear idea of what we have to work with by watching. 

 

We sure did hit a lot of posts yesterday so the result could have been different but there's just a smidgen of lack of finish on the team as well, as there has been. 

 

While Carey Price would have made a difference , he still can't do it all by himself. He's only done that for one season in the past and most other seasons people overrate how valuable he is to the team. He may be more valuable than anyone in the league but I repeat that he can't do it all by himself. 

 

With him in net for a full game, our team

still lost 4-2 to Washington and if I know Carey Price, the reason he was in for the full game is because he wanted to test himself even at this early juncture.

 

I wouldn't be surprised if we win the opening game of the season 5-1. That's the point that's being made about how the preseason doesn't matter. 

 

I still think our defense is fairly weak. Streit is our second best offensive defenseman and he may not even play many of our games. Davidson would be his alternative and that's not any better in my opinion. I've actually been happy with Petry unlike some, Mete and Weber. Jerabek is alright, Benn isn't as good as when he first arrived with us and Alzner is just alright and steady as well. 

 

Mete has been the biggest pleasant surprise for me but I also think he looks so good

because of our glaring need. It makes me feel

as thought Sergachev would have looked damn good as well, despite being a different player to Mete.

 

Schlemko may balance things out but I don't think our defense provides any offense and I also don't think it's as solid in our own end as a defensive core who is weak on the offensive side of things should be.

 

I remain hopeful but this is the first season I've gone in with a skeptical mentality. Moves will eventually be made and as I stated, I expect the team to only get better as the season wears on.

 

Good post. There's nothing wrong with watching pre-season hockey provided

 

1. we don't expect to see entertaining games

2. we don't pay the slightest attention to the scoreboard, and instead watch these games as scouts and talent evaluators might.

 

The boring nature of the hockey outweighs (2) for me, so I don't bother. (I don't even trust what I see of prospects in that context, because they're not actually playing against REAL NHL competition; a kid can look good in preseason and wilt once things get serious. What the ersatz 'scout' should be looking at is the kid's skill set as such - how good is his skating? His shot? His vision? Will they translate when the opposition starts to give a rip?). But when I hear anyone mewling about bad results in preseason, or getting excited about good ones, I just laugh. I remember in 1998 (?) - sometime during the grand noirceur of the Houle era - the Habs had just about the best preseason record in hockey. Everyone was getting all excited. Well, it sure didn't take long for reality to kick in. Preseason team results mean less than nothing.

 

As for your assessment of the team, I agree with that too. The main reason for optimism lies not with the roster but with the possibility that MB makes an impact move before the deadline. Otherwise, this is likely to be yet another season of "pretending" rather than contending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Toronthab    320
6 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

If Carey Price is in net... I'm pretty sure he stops 4 of the 5 Leafs goals. 

 

The Matthews long shot. 
The one where Montoya is lying on his back and doesn't know where they puck is... Price's rebound control wouldn't have let it get to that point. 
The shot from the goaline. 
Beaten five hole on the breakaway. 

 

Those are all stops price regularly makes, and suddenly its not a blowout.  The narrative is different as the scoreboard is close and the Habs dominated possession. 

Now I'm feeling better. I just had a laff fan laugh at me today! He's been saving it for over 40 years.. but still! :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×