Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

Carey Price named to the All-Star Game

Recommended Posts

dlbalr    708

The NHL released its All-Star Game rosters and Carey Price is the lone representative from the Habs.  I feel a little bad for Brendan Gallagher here as he really was the most deserving to go from Montreal.  However, he isn't as good as a forward as the six that were named from the Atlantic which sort of made Price the nominee by default even though he isn't having a great year overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    183

I think Byron would be a good call. I’m not looking at the stats or anything but it would be fun to watch him in the speed skating competition, and he’s not entirely undeserving. Sad about Weber and his injuries, as I saw him last year at the all star game in Los Angeles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The forward spots were well claimed with Stamkos, Kucherov, Marchand, Eichel, Matthews, etc. so there's no way a Habs forward was getting in. Detroit had to go with Mike Green instead of their best player Dylan Larkin.

 

So it was either a goalie or defenceman and it sure has heck wasn't gonna be any of our defencemen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    38

NO Hab "should" be there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    673
58 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I think Gallagher should be there

 

Over which forward who was taken from the division?

 

he isn't better than anyone who made it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Metallica    4
27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

Over which forward who was taken from the division?

 

he isn't better than anyone who made it. 

I think that's the problem with this layout. Not really a fan of it when they did it, still not a fan of it. 

 

Even the skill competition isn't the same it once was.

 

I still think they should make the all star game an out door game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Trizzak    536

There is a perverse part of me that wants Price to refuse to go, and force the Canadiens to send Niemi in his place. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    673
57 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I think that's the problem with this layout. Not really a fan of it when they did it, still not a fan of it. 

 

Even the skill competition isn't the same it once was.

 

I still think they should make the all star game an out door game.

 

Meh, I haven't watched the game since the early 90s.  I don't really care what they do with the stupid thing. 

 

No defence, no hitting, no effort level from the players, nothing on the line... who cares about the game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the North America vs. The World format.

 

I get the idea on paper of seeing division rivals team up but it feels like watching good guy wrestlers team up with the bad guys because they are on the same brand. I'm not invested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Link67    128

I mean, if you HAVE to send someone from each team, Price is the guy on this one, but it really does feel like no one from this team should be there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree, no Hab deserves to go, including Price, whose atrocious early play (no doubt injury-related) was the iceberg that sunk the Titanic. That said, it was only the tip of the iceberg; even with the Price of 2014 (possibly the best goalie I have ever had the privilege of watching) this team would be hard-pressed to do anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    183
19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree, no Hab deserves to go, including Price, whose atrocious early play (no doubt injury-related) was the iceberg that sunk the Titanic. That said, it was only the tip of the iceberg; even with the Price of 2014 (possibly the best goalie I have ever had the privilege of watching) this team would be hard-pressed to do anything.

It’s interesting to think what another Olympic gold may have done for his game in the short term. It seems to have had an impact on the way he performed in 2014. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    38
11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

; even with the Price of 2014 (possibly the best goalie I have ever had the privilege of watching

Cant say I have seen any goalie simply stop the pucks like Hasek did for couple years there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott462    59
40 minutes ago, DON said:

Cant say I have seen any goalie simply stop the pucks like Hasek did for couple years there.

 

Tim Thomas during his cup run was something to behold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Link67    128

Price does seem to have his mojo back since the injury, which at least looks better if he is going to the All-Star game. However it is next to impossible to recovery goalie stats when you spend 3 weeks sitting around an .880 SV%. His best case scenario is to finish the season with around .915 SV% if he continues to play well the rest of the year like he has been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Link67 said:

Price does seem to have his mojo back since the injury, which at least looks better if he is going to the All-Star game. However it is next to impossible to recovery goalie stats when you spend 3 weeks sitting around an .880 SV%. His best case scenario is to finish the season with around .915 SV% if he continues to play well the rest of the year like he has been.

 

I'm more interested in whatever his stats are since he came back from injury. That's a more accurate assessment of his game. But you're right, the overall numbers will be bad.

 

I saw Patrick Roy in 1993; indeed, I was in the Forum for three games, including the Cup winning game and the all-time classic 'McSorley stick' game, for that run. I don't know that ANY goalie has ever exuded that aura of "you are not going to beat me, ever" that Roy did. (Hasek was formidable, but I think his bizarre technique always left players thinking they could beat him somehow. With Roy in '93, players were beaten almost before they started, especially in OT).

 

I'm not expert in the technical dimensions of goaltending, but Carey Price circa 2014 is almost certainly the most technically perfect goalie I ever saw. He hardly seemed to move half the time, so incredible was his anticipation and positioning. And one thing I've never seen before or since was that insane level of rebound control. I swear to God, Price would not simply deflect the rebound harmlessly away, as any elite goalie must reliably do; he consistently used the rebound to start the counter-attack by directing it to the player best positioned to do that. :blink: Fairly amazing.

 

Price slipped off that pedestal during the collapse of last season and hasn't really got his game back up to that crazy-good level since. These days he's more like Lundqvist was for most of his career: a top-tier, rock-solid elite NHL starter and franchise cornerstone, but not quite otherworldly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neech    92

 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Price slipped off that pedestal during the collapse of last season and hasn't really got his game back up to that crazy-good level since. These days he's more like Lundqvist was for most of his career: a top-tier, rock-solid elite NHL starter and franchise cornerstone, but not quite otherworldly.

 

Which is why we'll be screwed having him eat up such a large portion of the cap for the next 8 years.  

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm more interested in whatever his stats are since he came back from injury. That's a more accurate assessment of his game. But you're right, the overall numbers will be bad.

 

Since November 25th

18GP

10W (T-5)

7L (T-3)

543 saves (2nd)

.930 SV% (5th best among goalies that have at least 10 games)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    183

I’m fine with Price being an All Star.... from here on out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×