Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Machine of Loving Grace

Joel Armia signs a one-year deal

Recommended Posts

Fair deal 

 

Danault 

McCarron 

and Rychel to go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Danault will be the last and hardest one to resign. If hes asking for to much it could get ugly with him and Bergevin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Fair deal 

 

Danault 

McCarron 

and Rychel to go

I hope McCarron & Rychel can be signed to an AHL/friendly depth contract even if waiver exempt. They may still turn into decent 4th liners and as of now would be good wingers to the CH's crip of centre prospects

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I think Danault will be the last and hardest one to resign. If hes asking for to much it could get ugly with him and Bergevin.

 

Simply given the timeline (qualifying offers expire on Sunday which is the soft deadline for deals for McCarron/Rychel), Danault will likely be the last one to re-sign.  I have a piece ready to go on the main site either this weekend or early next week looking at some of the comparable players and what his next deal will cost.  I think it's going to be pricier than a lot of people expect.

 

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope McCarron & Rychel can be signed to an AHL/friendly depth contract even if waiver exempt. They may still turn into decent 4th liners and as of now would be good wingers to the CH's crip of centre prospects

 

Neither are waiver exempt anymore.  Rychel has actually already cleared waivers once (last year in training camp) so it wouldn't be shocking to see him take less than his QO in exchange for a higher AHL salary.  McCarron is the interesting case - if he thinks the Habs won't risk waiving him, he's better off just taking the QO ($874,125 NHL/$70,000 AHL).  We'll see soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

Simply given the timeline (qualifying offers expire on Sunday which is the soft deadline for deals for McCarron/Rychel), Danault will likely be the last one to re-sign.  I have a piece ready to go on the main site either this weekend or early next week looking at some of the comparable players and what his next deal will cost.  I think it's going to be pricier than a lot of people expect.

 

 

Neither are waiver exempt anymore.  Rychel has actually already cleared waivers once (last year in training camp) so it wouldn't be shocking to see him take less than his QO in exchange for a higher AHL salary.  McCarron is the interesting case - if he thinks the Habs won't risk waiving him, he's better off just taking the QO ($874,125 NHL/$70,000 AHL).  We'll see soon enough.

My mistake, I meant the opposite: waiver eligible 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waive rychel and mccarron.  Meh.  Who cares.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming Shaw and Byron are both still on IR at the start of the season, and assuming that no injuries happen in preseason, AND assuming that no trades are made that reduce the # of roster players... it's looking like there are 3 roster spots available; the 12th, 13th, and 14th forwards. 

 

Vying for those spots will be Deslauriers, De La Rose, Froese, Rychel, and McCarron. 

 

Outside of them both having outstanding training camps, I don't see Rychel or McCarron beating out any of those guys for the right to sit on the bench. Might as well attempt to sneak them to the AHL and try to squeeze some more development out of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Assuming Shaw and Byron are both still on IR at the start of the season, and assuming that no injuries happen in preseason, AND assuming that no trades are made that reduce the # of roster players... it's looking like there are 3 roster spots available; the 12th, 13th, and 14th forwards. 

 

Vying for those spots will be Deslauriers, De La Rose, Froese, Rychel, and McCarron. 

 

Outside of them both having outstanding training camps, I don't see Rychel or McCarron beating out any of those guys for the right to sit on the bench. Might as well attempt to sneak them to the AHL and try to squeeze some more development out of them. 

Matthew Peca would be in battle for a 4th line centre spot isn't he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DON said:

Matthew Peca would be in battle for a 4th line centre spot isn't he?

Isn't it sad that we are already down to discussing bench warmers instead of our top line?

 

But yes, according to MB. 

6 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Vying for those spots will be Deslauriers, De La Rose, Froese, Rychel, and McCarron. 

 

Outside of them both having outstanding training camps, I don't see Rychel or McCarron beating out any of those guys for the right to sit on the bench. Might as well attempt to sneak them to the AHL and try to squeeze some more development out of them. 

I am still hoping for a Deslaurier-McCarron-Rychel 4th line :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am still hoping for a Deslaurier-McCarron-Rychel 4th line :lol:

 

 

That line would definitely help us Lose for Hughes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Assuming Shaw and Byron are both still on IR at the start of the season, and assuming that no injuries happen in preseason, AND assuming that no trades are made that reduce the # of roster players... it's looking like there are 3 roster spots available; the 12th, 13th, and 14th forwards. 

 

Vying for those spots will be Deslauriers, De La Rose, Froese, Rychel, and McCarron. 

 

Outside of them both having outstanding training camps, I don't see Rychel or McCarron beating out any of those guys for the right to sit on the bench. Might as well attempt to sneak them to the AHL and try to squeeze some more development out of them. 

 

I think if it came down to McCarron and Froese for a spot, they'd waive Froese.  (Rychel is all but a guarantee to be cut and waived.)  Froese cleared last year and was initially signed to be in Laval while quite frankly, he doesn't have a lot of upside.  McCarron doesn't either but he's younger and was a first rounder so he'd probably get the nod.

 

6 hours ago, DON said:

Matthew Peca would be in battle for a 4th line centre spot isn't he?

 

I imagine he's ahead of all of the players Trizzak mentioned.  Based on the contract they gave him, they probably view Peca as a regular with a fully healthy lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opening lineup and the lineup with Shaw/Byron is... ugh it's confusing.

 

We have too many wingers. Pacioretty, Domi, Armia, Gallagher, Hudon, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Shaw, Byron, Deslauriers... That's 10 right there. For 8 spots. 

 

Pacioretty and Byron are clearly the trade targets (I hope we see Byron and Peca together as they'd be the fastest Habs duo since Bure/Koivu) and if we move them early then maybe we could start thinking about Drouin back on the wing.

 

Drouin - Peca - Gallagher

Domi - Danault - Armia

Hudon/Scherbak - Plekanec - Scherbak

Deslauriers - DLR - Shaw

 

Yeah it sucks down the middle, welcome to the Habs. At least that's a skill first line, a two way second and third line, and a grind line. Good for tanking while players still maximize effort/potential.

 

My real headache is Hudon vs. Lehkonen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Opening lineup and the lineup with Shaw/Byron is... ugh it's confusing.

 

We have too many wingers. Pacioretty, Domi, Armia, Gallagher, Hudon, Lehkonen, Scherbak, Shaw, Byron, Deslauriers... That's 10 right there. For 8 spots. 

 

Pacioretty and Byron are clearly the trade targets (I hope we see Byron and Peca together as they'd be the fastest Habs duo since Bure/Koivu) and if we move them early then maybe we could start thinking about Drouin back on the wing.

 

Drouin - Peca - Gallagher

Domi - Danault - Armia

Hudon/Scherbak - Plekanec - Scherbak

Deslauriers - DLR - Shaw

 

Yeah it sucks down the middle, welcome to the Habs. At least that's a skill first line, a two way second and third line, and a grind line. Good for tanking while players still maximize effort/potential.

 

My real headache is Hudon vs. Lehkonen.

 

Honestly the way I see it, we need to use this season to ice a Bottom 7 team, I think we all agree there, but a long the way, we also need to help the right players for our future to develop to the best of their abilities. For that reason I really don't see a Hudon vs Lehkonen battle, Lehkonen is suited as a very good 3rd line player with a 200 foot game, who will be able to jump into the top 6 when injuries hit. Hudon is more offensively gifted, has a past riddled with very good offensive production in every league, he is more suited to become a main stay in the top 6. Scherbak is in the same boat, he is currently the young player with the most raw talent, the highest ceiling as far as potential is concerned and should also become a main stay in the top 6 for the future. Max Domi must also be put in a favorable position to help him further develop into a bonafide top 6 player, lots of minutes, lots of PP time, all the bells and whistles.

 

Those 4 players are the ones I would be targeting, especially in a season like this one, to make sure we give every opportunity to help them become the players they are meant to. It would help us have less top 6 holes to fill in the future, while allowing us to be a bottom feeding team this season, waiting for their progression to continue at, hopefully, an accelerated rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

 

I think if it came down to McCarron and Froese for a spot, they'd waive Froese.  (Rychel is all but a guarantee to be cut and waived.)  Froese cleared last year and was initially signed to be in Laval while quite frankly, he doesn't have a lot of upside.  McCarron doesn't either but he's younger and was a first rounder so he'd probably get the nod.

 

For a 14th forward spot though? I'd expect they'd rather risk putting McCarron on waivers if it means he might get more ice time in Laval over warming the bench in Montreal. Froese makes so much more sense for that spot... one-way contract, league minimum, centre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

For a 14th forward spot though? I'd expect they'd rather risk putting McCarron on waivers if it means he might get more ice time in Laval over warming the bench in Montreal. Froese makes so much more sense for that spot... one-way contract, league minimum, centre. 

 

 

It all depends on how much they fear McCarron being claimed.  If they think a team will want him (I don't think that would happen), they'll prefer to keep him around and hardly play over taking the risk of losing him for nothing.  We've seen this happen a couple of times under Bergevin's tenure (Tinordi and Pateryn come to mind) where the player basically becomes the full-time 23rd player on the roster in the hopes that someone will trade something of value for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

maybe we could start thinking about Drouin back on the wing.

 

Drouin - Peca - Gallagher

Domi - Danault - Armia

Hudon/Lehkonen- Plekanec - Scherbak

Deslauriers - DLR - Shaw

 

Yeah it sucks down the middle, welcome to the Habs. At least that's a skill first line, a two way second and third line, and a grind line. Good for tanking while players still maximize effort/potential.

My real headache is Hudon vs. Lehkonen.

If we are tanking for another year but looking to develop the players, I would continue with the Drouin experiment at center. I almost agree on your line-up, except for Peca on the top line. I would give that spot to Drouin and ride him on that spot all season again.... it's good for the tank :)

 

9 hours ago, Link67 said:

I really don't see a Hudon vs Lehkonen battle, Lehkonen is suited as a very good 3rd line player with a 200 foot game, who will be able to jump into the top 6 when injuries hit. Hudon is more offensively gifted, has a past riddled with very good offensive production in every league, he is more suited to become a main stay in the top 6. Scherbak is in the same boat, he is currently the young player with the most raw talent, the highest ceiling as far as potential is concerned and should also become a main stay in the top 6 for the future. Max Domi must also be put in a favorable position to help him further develop into a bonafide top 6 player, lots of minutes, lots of PP time, all the bells and whistles.

I wish Scherbak was further along. This may be the year he takes that step.

 

I also liked how Drouin performed with Byron and Gallagher and I think that Domi should be an upgrade on Byron. I would go with:

Domi-Drouin-Gallagher

Hudon-Danault-Scherbak

Lehkonen-Plekanec-Armia

and once healthy:

Byron- Delarose/Peca -Shaw

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too am skeptical of the Drouin-at-C experiment, but under the circumstances we may as well give it another year. Didn't he show improvement in the second half? Maybe he can figure it out. It is, however, a terrible thing to do to a young player; to his credit, Drouin has been a saint about being thrown to the wolves by inept and irresponsible management.

 

Scherbak is an intriguing X-factor. He could give us a little bit of that 'Galchenyuk' quality, i.e., high-end offensive moves when you least expect it. Who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I too am skeptical of the Drouin-at-C experiment, but under the circumstances we may as well give it another year. Didn't he show improvement in the second half? Maybe he can figure it out. It is, however, a terrible thing to do to a young player; to his credit, Drouin has been a saint about being thrown to the wolves by inept and irresponsible management.

 

Scherbak is an intriguing X-factor. He could give us a little bit of that 'Galchenyuk' quality, i.e., high-end offensive moves when you least expect it. Who knows.

Come to think of it, I bet Scherbak was pretty upset about having a good Russian speaking buddy traded off the team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BlueKross said:

Wasn't Armia drafted as a center?

RW

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×