Who should be coaching the Habs?

Meller93

Here is a thought, take it for what it is worth. There have been many good coaches fired, for instance everybody on the list up there. So an admitedly good coach who does as good a job as can be done, gets fired. Is he then a bad coach? Is it possible that a bad coach who makes many questionable decisions could have good success inspite of being a bonehead? I think it is just as possible as a good coach having poor success. Coaches get far too much credit for succes and far too much blame for failure. How did Dallas Eakins turn into such a bonehead after being sought after by many clubs. Of course some coaches have success on a regular basis but they all get fired. hmm just a thought.

Here is a thought, take it for what it is worth. There have been many good coaches fired, for instance everybody on the list up there. So an admitedly good coach who does as good a job as can be done, gets fired. Is he then a bad coach? Is it possible that a bad coach who makes many questionable decisions could have good success inspite of being a bonehead? I think it is just as possible as a good coach having poor success. Coaches get far too much credit for succes and far too much blame for failure. How did Dallas Eakins turn into such a bonehead after being sought after by many clubs. Of course some coaches have success on a regular basis but they all get fired. hmm just a thought.

Parity in the league is such that for the top 16 teams (those who make the playoffs), a Stanley Cup victory can be had just by getting all your players on board and playing at their best at the right time, regardless of relative talent level. Even the grey area - the 13th to 20th place teams - whether or not they make the playoffs depends on whether the coach has managed to get full potential out of most of his roster.

There are a lot of talented guys who don't live up to potential on any given year, often because of some situation off the ice, or a lack of chemistry, or ... the wrong coach. This is also why coaches have a shelf life, no matter how good they are, a coach gets "stale" every so often. His ability to motivate the same group of players often seems to have a time limit on it.

So yes, the coach is important. Are they everything? No, absolutely not. Scotty Bowman could not have gotten Buffalo into the Playoffs this year. But the WRONG coach can take a solid group of players and cause them to miss the playoffs, and the right coach? Well, come playoff time, anything can happen.

:popcorn:

It seemed to me like Eakins had the wrong approach for the NHL. From his enforced nutrition, to his 8 am practices, to his naming the newcoming vet Ference as captain instead of the current and future star player Hall, it seemed like he was treating his players like children and being the hard-assed parent. That doesn't work in the top league in the world, where you can have the right attitude and work ethic and it won't matter because your talent level isn't up to snuff. You can be a hard-ass, but you have to treat your players as men and not kids that you micro-manage.

:popcorn:

touche Don.

It seemed to me like Eakins had the wrong approach for the NHL. From his enforced nutrition, to his 8 am practices, to his naming the newcoming vet Ference as captain instead of the current and future star player Hall, it seemed like he was treating his players like children and being the hard-assed parent. That doesn't work in the top league in the world, where you can have the right attitude and work ethic and it won't matter because your talent level isn't up to snuff. You can be a hard-ass, but you have to treat your players as men and not kids that you micro-manage.

Really? And we don't see some of those same traits in Le Genius?

Hmmm, who does that sound like - couldn't be the current incbumbent who single handidly through his genius have turned a bottom feeder into a contender right...

My sentiments exactly. Difference between MT and Eakins, is that MT has Pleks, Markov and price, while Eakins had Hemsky, Ference and an AHL caliber goalie.

Adding rookies with the work ethic of Galleghar and Galchenyuk,rather than yakupov also helps.

touche Don.

Not nearly as bad, but I do. A few weeks ago on 24CH, after a PK turnover at blueline at the end of his shift led to a breakaway goal against, Gerard Gallant talked to him like he was 10. "You let your teammates down" etc. It struck me as patronizing, and disappointing that the coaches thought they had to speak to him that way (and worrying that they may be right to do so). I doubt he would use that tone with Pacioretty, for instance, who's the same age and also has an inclination for boneheaded plays sometimes. I don't know if it's mostly PK's fault or the coaching staff/organization/hockey establishment who's to blame for him being treated like a kid who needs to be coddled; I suspect it's some of both, but also that PK would respond well to being given the responsibility he deserves.

My sentiments exactly. Difference between MT and Eakins, is that MT has Pleks, Markov and price, while Eakins had Hemsky, Ference and an AHL caliber goalie.

Adding rookies with the work ethic of Galleghar and Galchenyuk,rather than yakupov also helps.

I think there's more to it than that. Eakins was having 8 am practices to keep a tight ship like it was boot camp or something.

Therrien also took over Pittsburgh when they were at a similar stage to this season's Oilers, and he managed to not alienate his young stars.

I don't understand how some of you can be so critical when the Habs record is so good, is it that you think the Habs are so extremely talented that they aren't winning more games than they should because they have a bad coach that holds them back from winning?

Malcontents.... to the end.....

I will wait till after the playoffs to give Therrien a fair chance, it's not like we had much of a chance against lady luck and the injury bug, as well as some really bad calls and a goalie that played far over his head for Ottawa last year. The stars were aligned for us to fail last year, it wasn't coaching. This year is the real test run......

I agree Neech, PK would be better if turned lose.

I think there's more to it than that. Eakins was having 8 am practices to keep a tight ship like it was boot camp or something.

Therrien also took over Pittsburgh when they were at a similar stage to this season's Oilers, and he managed to not alienate his young stars.

There's a HUGE difference between having malkin and Crosby (Calder winner/calder runner-up) and Edmonton's rookies. Those two are generational talents. Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins are solid blue chip prospects.

I don't understand how some of you can be so critical when the Habs record is so good, is it that you think the Habs are so extremely talented that they aren't winning more games than they should because they have a bad coach that holds them back from winning?

Malcontents.... to the end.....

I will wait till after the playoffs to give Therrien a fair chance, it's not like we had much of a chance against lady luck and the injury bug, as well as some really bad calls and a goalie that played far over his head for Ottawa last year. The stars were aligned for us to fail last year, it wasn't coaching. This year is the real test run......

I agree Neech, PK would be better if turned lose.

For the same reason why I didn't' think the Leafs were as good as there record said they were three weeks ago. We are regularly getting outshot at almost a 2 to 1 ratio. We were never a 27th worse team as we ended up being under Cunneyworth, nor are we a legit top 3 in the East this year or last year. This year we are a MUCH better team after the Vanek steal. But otherwise are benefiting from a weak year in the Eastern conference and lights out goaltending, not only from Price, but extremely great performances from the backup.

I think Subban will have a super playoffs.

I hope so - we will need to him being the dominant PK, rather then the lost who looks lost. Comes back to what Gill said paraphrased - Let PK be PK.

For the same reason why I didn't' think the Leafs were as good as there record said they were three weeks ago. We are regularly getting outshot at almost a 2 to 1 ratio. We were never a 27th worse team as we ended up being under Cunneyworth, nor are we a legit top 3 in the East this year or last year. This year we are a MUCH better team after the Vanek steal. But otherwise are benefiting from a weak year in the Eastern conference and lights out goaltending, not only from Price, but extremely great performances from the backup.

When you play 82 games and end up 28th worst in league you can trust the standings, you sucked. :)

Why not a legit top 3 this year?

I hope so - we will need to him being the dominant PK, rather then the lost who looks lost. Comes back to what Gill said paraphrased - Let PK be PK.

I can easily see him turning Salo-Hedman-Brewer-Gudas inside out, draw penalty/scoring chances.

Gill was teammate/friend/fan, not his coach, is different. (but I hope Gill does return as d-coach some time down the road, seemed smart/witty/good team guy)

To answer the original questions, my answer is nobody! At the beginning of the season, most pundits thought the Habs would be fighting for a playoff spot. Well, we are comfortable in the playoffs, and have been "in" for a couple of weeks now.

The Habs are doing better than everyone thought, so in my books, Therrien is doing a good job. Does he make mistakes? Of course he does, but so does every other coach in the league! The important thing is that he makes a shitload more good decisions than bad ones!

It boggles my mind how this is even a topic of discussion. Armchair coaches apparently would do a better job than a man with 20 years of coaching experience, knowledge of the players personally and having them 3rd in their conference. And you just know that the minute Montreal loses a playoff round, these people will be quick to jump on here saying I told you so.

It boggles my mind how this is even a topic of discussion. Armchair coaches apparently would do a better job than a man with 20 years of coaching experience, knowledge of the players personally and having them 3rd in their conference. And you just know that the minute Montreal loses a playoff round, these people will be quick to jump on here saying I told you so.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Well said!

yup :popcorn:

When you think about all the line juggling, and the lineup choices that most fans have criticized, Therrien knows this team, even the most negative nelly can admit this. He will have more than a recollection of combinations, and who played well with each other and who didn't. I have noticed an improvement in MT's in game adjustments lately, up by 3, down by 3, you guys know what I mean... and think he has a really good grip on what he has on his roster. I have faith in Therrien and this team going into the playoffs....

that said, I would like to see the PK thing cleared up, maybe Bergevin should just sign him and put that all to bed..... defuse this, and on to the playoffs with a happy Norris winning Defenseman.....

wanna share some popcorn? :popcorn:

Therrien as a coach is....

All the armchair assumptions about PK and Therrien are......

How bout those Blue jays. :)