Downey took a beating

markierung

As they say in the islands ...."respect"

Well done !

Those potatoes in your pants there son or do you just have big ones?

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

He definently took a beating, i give him credit for standing in there he was well out of his weight class ....... i understand he's a good team guy and plays hard, but for how many more years is this team going to go without someone who can lay a good beating down ...... we should have kept ivanans

He definently took a beating, i give him credit for standing in there he was well out of his weight class ....... i understand he's a good team guy and plays hard, but for how many more years is this team going to go without someone who can lay a good beating down ...... we should have kept ivanans

And where would he fit when Lepiere returns? What, we not winning enough for you?

And where would he fit when Lepiere returns? What, we not winning enough for you?

Lapierre came up for a few games, who's to say he's coming back? we might not see him until next year... and nothing wrong with having too many players, deal a couple for something we need

We are definently winning enough for me, i am just being picky here

Ivanans? Gimme a break, he never won a fight here in Montreal.

Maybe not, but he's doing the job in LA ..... seems we never give tough guys much of a chance here

Brashear destroyed our tough guy and could have done whatever he wanted out there the rest of the game and the habs could do nothing about it.... we have a lot of talent on this team i want to see it properly protected and downey just can't do that, he's a middle weight at best

Well, Brashear didn't do anything to anyone other fight Downey. There's a reason at least half of the NHL's teams no longer dress enforcers. They are a dying breed and everyone should know it.

Thank you Smon, exactly what I was going to say. Not a big fan of the fighting myself, and frankly, one of Downey and Ivanans is MORE than enough for me. This is also why I changed my vote to keeping Murray over Downey on the other thread. It's a matter of that - WHEN Murray's playing like he can - he's a much better player, while Downey's essentially a fighter (albeit with a big heart, but a fighter all the same) and thankfully, that part of the game is on its way out, so we shouldn't need a lot of it.

How did i know this post would have the anti fighting whiners complaining about it. You guys i'm glad to say are in the minority. How many people get up and leave when a fight breaks out? I beleive the answer is zero.

Games against tough physical teams is why the Habs keep Downey, Murray around. I think they are the only forwards to have fighting majors. Downey is a class character guy that a team neds, he may only play 20-30 games a year but that's all they need him. Good for him for showing up and playing hard all night for his 4 minutes of ice time.

My current 4th line would be Begin Lapierre Lats. Downey the extra.

And after the fight he was still smiling and flashing his pompoms.

Did you see the players reaction on the bench ?? The guys love him.

And Chris you are right, anti enforcers are a minority, look at the people in the stands when a fight goes on, everybody is up and nobody cover eyes. It's part of the game.

Man..again were gonna start on Downey bashing CUZ HE LOST A FIGHT !!! you wanna know why he lost...cuz he acctually took the first punch, first punch is like something you realllly wouldn wanna do but he did it brashear took advantage of it wraped him then more less had his way with him.

Downey lost big woop who cares he still fought right?

Why respect him? That's HIS JOB.............nothing more! And he's not doing it very well.

I'd have "respect" if one of the Habs non-fighter's would drop them against the other team's tough guy...

I've seen Rivet and Souray drop the gloves (to stick up for a teammate) and have more "respect" for them; and they actually did a pretty good job.

If Souray fights a break his hand against the other team tough guy i would feel no respect i would be so pissed that another tough guy was not doing is job.

But i would feel respect if Souray broke Sean Avery or Darcy Tucker face with one punch.

I have yet to see a team physically beat the Habs this year. Who has intimidated this team into a loss? If He hadn't fought Brashear last night, would it have been a different outcome? I think not. We don't need to carry a goon, and this is coming from an old school guy that loves to watch a good fight. Believe me. Ivannas vs Chara wasn't a good one. Do you not remember that one punch put Ivan out for months? In the old days I agree you needed a goon to keep certain teams in order. Not today. Maybe carrying Brashear instaed of a speedy 4th liner is the reason the Caps are doing so poorly.

Most nights I agree with Johnnyhasbeen - if you dress Downey, you can't roll four lines. If you can't roll four lines, you use more gas that you'll wish you had at the end of the year.

On the other hand, you know some nights you're playing a team with a goon, or with no other avenue against you than to try to goon up the game. If you don't dress Downey, that goon on the other team is going to get somebody else to go - Rivet, Komi or Souray. Last year, Souray getting into a fight pretty much cost the Habs the game (I believe it was against Vancouver), albeit mostly because he opened the dude's forehead with his wrist brace. But the guy he was fighting was pure garbage goon, McGrattan-style, and he took Souray out of the game, even if Souray womped him in the fight.

Other nights, late in the season against division rivals, things might get heated even against a talented team, and there needs to be a response for opponents taking runs at goalies or small forwards. A couple of weeks ago, some large yahoo on the Penguins checked Samsonov into the boards hours after the whistle and kept at him when Samsonov glared at him for it - that's just beyond the pale. But I don't want Souray or Komi to be the one to do something about it.

As for Downey's skills - he's no Darren Langdon (undefeated as a habs, in my books), but he's no Gordie Dwyer. Doesn't win many fights, but doesn't lose that many, either, and he even prefers fighting big guys over smaller guys. Most importantly, bench is proud to cheer him on, which isn't true of a lot of goons. How annoying would it be to have to cheer on Brian McGrattan?

Yeah that was Calgary, and those things suck. Than its great to have a Downey. But like a lot off you guys i like it also more to roll 4 lines. And cuz we can create 4 very good lines it's more a key to succes than a goon. Allthough i believe Downey is more than just a goon, he got some hockeysense as seen against the Caps. But a line with Begin Lapierre and Lats is just more scary!!(or streit)

I like Downey as a player no question and don't get me wrong I love fights. I'm just saying that as a general pattern about half of the league's teams don't dress guys who can only fight. They have to be able to play effectively when not fighting as well (see Georges Laraque).

So Downey does have a purpose as a habs, which is to dress against other clubs' enforcers, and he's definitely infinitely more valuable to the team than Ivanans.