Plekanec's Poll

JoeLassister

Plekanec's Poll  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Plekanec?

• Keep him on the 2nd line
    • Replace Bonk on the 3rd line in the next years
    • Trade him before trade deadline
    • Place him on the 4th line (so add a 2nd line center on the team)
    • Other suggestions

Ok well in several topics in NHL talk and Habs talk people were arguing about what to do with Plex, the centers situation, Grabovski, Bonk, Lapierre, trade rumors, etc.

So here is my question : What would you do with Plekanec?

He's only two years into his NHL career, but even in that short time, he's proven that he can play in this league. I think he shows enough as a checking forward that he's worth keeping, especially when two-thirds of your checking line is unrestricted at season's end. He's also a big part of your penalty-killing unit. Everybody is talking about his lack of offence, but I'm recalling a center who made his career by shutting down the opposition.

For Perezhogin you're not wrong it just didn't happen yet.

For Plekanek you get a bag of pucks. Not that he's not good 2 way it's just that there is a big influence in the drafting order.

Perezhogin was a first round choice no resuls yet but has prooved he can play in the NHL. He has some value.

Plekanek has been drafted 3third round and no results yet.

I think he will be a depth player for the remaining of the year and will not be offered a contract next year with Lapierre, Grabovski and Chipchura coming.

He does have the one thing most of the rest of the forwards don't have, SPEED. He would be a nice 4th line center between Begin and Lapierre. Chipchura is more of a third line center, good size, smart and knows the defensive game.

By the way i was very impressed with Grabovski's speed and hands.

Plekanec is a solid NHL-player. Or will be. Therefore he should have a high value at the market at many teams seems to be looking for a center.

However... I think that the skills that Plekanec brings to the team is allready there. I expect big things from Chipchure one day. I saw him the other day and I am sure that he will replace Bonk one day.

If the Habs could get a Russian center for Kovalev and Samsonov I think it would be great and perhabs Plekanec would be apart of the price. Aebischer and Plekanec for a guy like Sergei Fedorov would be the wet dream. ( I think a player that was raised and tought the same kind of hockey as Kovalev and Samsonov would do the trick for that line)

Plekanec has a future on the third line of the Canadiens that is for sure. He proved he could be that guy last year many a time while Bonk was out or playing terrible.

But if the right offer came along and Plekanec was one of the young guys that the Canadiens trading partner wanted I would not be too sad there are other young player's I covet more on the Canadiens.

As for his lack of scoring he does have a great shot and some slick moves the reason he is not putting up big points is because the offensive leaders he is playing with or has played with this year have been for the most part ineffective and I am sure he is part of the problem but in no way is he the biggest one.

I voted other suggestion

If he is not performing do think he'd clear waivers to be sent down to Hamilton?

I highly doubt he'd clear waivers. He's an effective checking center (two-way really) who hasn't found a consistent offensive game yet. I'm sure there's at least a handful of teams that would love his services.

That being said, he had much success at the AHL level, and he's shown he can play in the NHL. It's guys like Murray and Downey who have to worry about being sent down or traded really. It's only a matter of time before one of the younger AHL guys wins a spot on the roster and Gainey decides to let one of the veterans go (one way or another).

Plekanec would be deadly with a team like the Sabres.

I hope he'll stay with the Habs for a long time. We have been following him for a long time and he's got some great attitude and skills. Bonk and Johnson are UFA this summer so I guess we'll have Plek and Perez on the 3rd line.

I highly doubt he'd clear waivers. He's an effective checking center (two-way really) who hasn't found a consistent offensive game yet. I'm sure there's at least a handful of teams that would love his services.

That being said, he had much success at the AHL level, and he's shown he can play in the NHL. It's guys like Murray and Downey who have to worry about being sent down or traded really. It's only a matter of time before one of the younger AHL guys wins a spot on the roster and Gainey decides to let one of the veterans go (one way or another).

very true. silly but an idea nonetheless. I'll change my vote back to keeping him on the second line and let him battle it out through his offensive dry spell.

For Plekanek you get a bag of pucks.

I should expand on what I meant and where I'm thinking on Plekanec being part of a trade.

I'll write this from the perspective using those who have only played at forward this year. As with anything I type please make responds or suggestions. Hey, it's better than starting a whole new thread on this after all :P

The organization as a whole has to be concerned with 2008 right now. It's not the priority. They'll cross that bridge later. However, there must (IMO) exist a very serious desire by brass to really make that push for the Challenge Cup. Sweet Stanley Challange.

There are varying opinions on where the team is weak but the recurring theme from fans is we want a big 2nd line center. An Arnott mould type player. It seems clear that Gainey wants that too. I'm not speculating. It's clear he tried to get Arnott or other similar big UFA centre over the summer to no avail. If that center was a 2nd line marquee player then we might have the depth to counter on a playoff captaincy loss.

When you consider the present team and the questions looming in free agency for the Habs, IMO something has got to give here with the forwards. So, who shall it be?

Bégin - untradeable

Bonk - Debatable, but like Souray what he will bring might lead to a gamble and they keep him. On the other hand it may take a Bonk to get what the Habs need in other ways. A rival GM might inquire or demand Bonk.

Dandenault - A D on forward? Not worth mentioning (Bowman, Detroit) but if he plays more at F you have to wonder if they might be wanting to clear another forward so Dandenault can take a regular forward position in a playoff run.

Streit - A D on forward? Now it is worth mentioning.

Downey - Trading a spare to clear roster space for a 2nd line NHLer doesn't solve the logjam

Grabovski - He's either the 2nd line answer or it's back to the Dogs.

Kovalev - There's a question mark here. I hope they keep Kovalev but in this list of players?...and you never know Gainey.

Johnson - Bob didn't acquire him to dump him...and yes, you never know Gainey. But that doesn't seem his style to me nevermind the fact that it would be totally illogical.

Lapierre - The lack of abundance of centers for the Habs negates the potential of him being moved. Plus, management must like what they see. I do :hlogo:

Murray - Again, trading a spare to clear roster space for a 2nd line NHLer doesn't solve the logjam.

Perezhogin - The other GM better have a player too good to resist the move. Beyond that; UNTRADEABLE!

Plekanec - Here's where I figure Pleks might be the odd one out.

Ryder - with an abundance of wingers we have, Ryder's name is bound to be mentioned every day until the deadline. Especially if he continues to struggle.

Samsonov - Bob signs the guy for 2 years and then moves him at the deadline. I don't see it happening.

Anyway, tired of typing and who knows. It might be a D or a goalie moved but this logjam at the very least raises questions for sure.

Don't forget Andrei Kostitsyn :hlogo:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

i voted for the second option but i stay with the idea that if bonk can be resigned at a reasonable price and reasonable contract length, sign him...one!

GO :hlogo: GO!

Edited by shortcat1

What date is the trade deadline, BTW?

Feb. 27th 3pm EST.

Plekanec Johnson and Higgins shut down Kovy (Ilya) Kozlov and Hossa tonight. But I guess Huet did his part as well stopping 16 shots from the threesome.

If the Habs could get a Russian center for Kovalev and Samsonov I think it would be great and perhabs Plekanec would be apart of the price. Aebischer and Plekanec for a guy like Sergei Fedorov would be the wet dream. ( I think a player that was raised and tought the same kind of hockey as Kovalev and Samsonov would do the trick for that line)

Samsonov will be gone long before Plekanec unless Bob absolutely has to package him to get a big centre, I don't think Bob is thinking, "What should I do to get Samsonov scoring?" Plekanec now has as many goals as Samsonov and I think that if Bob could deal Samsonov he would be gone tomorrow, unfortunetely, no team really wants a guy that is getting paid $500000 for each goal he scores.

I see Pleks and Bonk as fighting for the same job. Bonk is more experienced and I have been pretty impressed with his defensive play this year. That said, he is expensive and getting slower by the day.

If the decide to sign Bonk, then I believe Pleks will end up as trade bait. The other option is that they let Bonk walk and replace him with Pleks on the 3rd line next year. I am good either way.

I do want to see a true top two center brought in. I believe that is one of the key missing pieces on this team, the difference between 2nd round of the playoffs and a true Potential cup winner.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gainey grab someone at the deadline, a rent a player like he did with Kovy a few years back.

Plekanec has a future on the third line of the Canadiens that is for sure. He proved he could be that guy last year many a time while Bonk was out or playing terrible.

But if the right offer came along and Plekanec was one of the young guys that the Canadiens trading partner wanted I would not be too sad there are other young player's I covet more on the Canadiens.

As for his lack of scoring he does have a great shot and some slick moves the reason he is not putting up big points is because the offensive leaders he is playing with or has played with this year have been for the most part ineffective and I am sure he is part of the problem but in no way is he the biggest one.

I think Chipchura will be the future on the 3rd line sorry for Plex.

I like Pleks a lot, but it's hard to know where to put him and depends enormously on who his linemates are. If he's with solid, speedy wingers, then he can be our 3rd line center next year. But he'd have to learn how to win faceoffs to keep the job. Carbo and Jarvis won't stand for his piss poor faceoff performance, but if anyone can improve it, they can.

Lapierre's about a year behind Pleks in development, maybe two. Chipchura's behind Lapierre. All look like classic 3rd line centers, of different types. Pleks doesn't hit but I think he had five takeaways last night against Atlanta. Impressive.

Does somebody get traded? Do we become a team with two third lines? Man we've got a good looking bunch of forwards coming into their own. - OT, but I hope Latendresse gets 20 this year, that'd make it 3 years in a row with a 20 goal rookie.

I haven't seen enough of the other rookies to comment on them versus Pleks, but it is true that Pleks is not that big. On the other hand, his speed can be deadly defensively, and unlike Bulis, he will finish a higher percentage of the chances he creates.

And Plex works his ass off on every shift. He proved he could put up some points in the AHL right off coming from Europe, so you can see his progress curve is constant.

In any case, Plex can play LW as well, so if there's no place for him at C he can still play. Eventually, I could see our 3rd line being Plekanec - Chipchura - Lapierre. 3 guys who are solid defensively, strong on the forecheck, never stop working, can all take faceoffs, with loads of speed on the wings. That could become the best damn 3rd line in the league.