Game Thread | Habs vs. Red Wings | 01/15/07

Spider-Man NL

Well not quit the effort you expect after being embarrases and called out by your coach. 21 shots? They gave up 40 again? I think the wings had more hits then the habs had shots. Just pathetic. Maybe after the goalie makes a save, he can skate it out of the zone and score.

I did think the Lats Lapierre Ryder line looked pretty good. Aebi looked great.

D zone lost again, way too many turnovers. I wonder if they can complete passes in practice.

My prediction Tuesday, 40 shots given up, Luongo a shut out. I hoping they can put in an A effort and muster up 25 shots.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wanted to watch this game tonight, but by the reaction of all you guys...I guess it's good I did some accounting instead.

I am looking for a shake up Gainey. Datsyuk.... :)

Seriously, we can't keep slipping like this guys.

Murray played less than 3 minutes (can we finally replace this guy with some talent...he doesn't even hit well anymore)

Hard to hit when you only play 3 minutes.

On another note I would like to see Niinimaa in the lineup tomorrow.

I wasn't totally disappointed..

First of all the effort was there, the passing sucked yes. But playing new line combinations is a hard task to accomplish, against a proven offensive force in the wings; with solid D and a goalie who can lie down and make saves every night...

I do feel that tonight is the turning point. Bob will be making major changes... to give us that competitive edge. The lines will change again count on it!

I'm really looking forward to Vancouver at Home. Carbo had a game plan in benching Sammy for most of the game. Lets see how he responds.

We need another center who can be the game breaker; who will win faceoffs, without Bonk we are broke in that department; its a major mess up if we don't win faceoffs.

I cannot believe, how many posts we've hit in the last two weeks. Somethings gotta give... And my friends;

IF I'M a betting MAN and I am; I"ll put my money on BIG CHANGES!

this cannot and will not continue!

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

Did anyone get the impression they were just trying not get embarrased rather then trying to win?

Yes I agree with this they tried hard not to get caught again! Thats called playing Carbo's game. Play tough defense and jump on the opposing teams mistakes. Only problem with that is this... its Detroit they don't make too many mistakes. In the third they tried to open up the game and have the D-press; it was too little too late.

No I will bet my unlucky horse shoe that next game will be different! The Ottawa game was a shame but tonights effort although not bad will affect this group of habs very hard and they will respond next game against Vancouver...

And call me crazy.. but I"m in favour of giving Sammy one more chance at changing things by playing on the first line with Koivu and Lats.. Call me crazy but that the only thing we haven't tried yet. We've benched him, played him on the second line with Kovy forever; but lets put all the marbles down and give him a chance to make a difference.

Then lets kick him and a few others to the curb; Trust me this little slump we are going through is not little anymore; the schedule is not easy and we don't have time to fart around hold hands singing songs for everyone.

This is a professional league, players get paid to play at their best. If you don't someone needs to answer! Sooner or later someone always does.

Edited by Chips

IF I'M a betting MAN and I am; I"ll put my money on BIG CHANGES!

this cannot and will not continue!

GO HABS GO!

I agree Chips. Therefore, I propose the following action -

Buy Youppi some skates, and send him out there. He'd probably produce more than Samsonov and Kovalev put together.

(Not)Coach Cataclaw's "fix this team up" recommendations:

1. Stop messing around with the lines. Decide on some lines to try out for a while and be done with it. Too much line changing is discouraging to the players (note the word 'too'). It gives the players the impression that the coach has zero confidence, is desperate among other negative effects.

2. Put Alex with Saku. Keeping them separated to balance the lines isn't a good excuse. It's not working, neither line is producing as is. What do you have to lose? Koivu is the only player that truly seems to "click" well with Kovalev and isn't intimidated by him for that matter. Go for the following lines:

Anyone-Koivu-Kovalev

Anyone-Anyone-Anyone

Anyone-Anyone-Anyone

Anyone-Anyone-Anyone

3. Hope that Bonk and Bégin return soon :clap:

4.Face-off practices for everyone. I've noticed a trend -- whenever Koivu wins > 50% of his face-offs, the Habs win. I've dug up a few game statistics and out of the 5 games i've checked, those that Koivu had >50%, the Habs won. (Anyone care to check this statistic for all the games?)

Well in Carbonneau's post game interview he said he was angry and quipped that he and Muller can not jump on the ice and play for them.

He also said Samsonov was going down, I would imagine that does not mean minors but would believe he will either be benched or scratched.

Well all that is great but if the team continues to give up 40 shots, and only takes 20, it doesn't matter who plays where.

I do feel bad for the coaches, they were all hard workers, it must be tough watching these guys every night without suiting up.

GUy said it!

the TALENT ISNT THERE if they wont work hard then The TALENT WONT BE THERE!

But excuse me Guy! whats the work that they are missing? Speed? skating? getting into position?

Lines need to sleep eat and take dumps together ... all 6 players can work there ass off and if they cant themselves in the rink whats it worth?

Well all that is great but if the team continues to give up 40 shots, and only takes 20, it doesn't matter who plays where.

I do feel bad for the coaches, they were all hard workers, it must be tough watching these guys every night without suiting up.

I really do not understand posts such as these.

Many teams have different strategies. Is Buffalo a bad team? They allow only 2.8 shots a game more than the Canadiens and take 0.2 shots more per game. The Habs a puck control team and although they have looked bad recently I do not think the shots is the real issue.

(Not)Coach Cataclaw's "fix this team up" recommendations:

1. Stop messing around with the lines. Decide on some lines to try out for a while and be done with it. Too much line changing is discouraging to the players (note the word 'too'). It gives the players the impression that the coach has zero confidence, is desperate among other negative effects.

2. Put Alex with Saku. Keeping them separated to balance the lines isn't a good excuse. It's not working, neither line is producing as is. What do you have to lose? Koivu is the only player that truly seems to "click" well with Kovalev and isn't intimidated by him for that matter. Go for the following lines:

Anyone-Koivu-Kovalev

Anyone-Anyone-Anyone

Anyone-Anyone-Anyone

Anyone-Anyone-Anyone

3. Hope that Bonk and Bégin return soon :clap:

4.Face-off practices for everyone. I've noticed a trend -- whenever Koivu wins > 50% of his face-offs, the Habs win. I've dug up a few game statistics and out of the 5 games i've checked, those that Koivu had >50%, the Habs won. (Anyone care to check this statistic for all the games?)

Excellant recommendations!

I full endorse this course of action, now if Carbo and his coaching staff could take a moment to read tonights game thread and for that matter the last two weeks; I"m guessing that there are many good suggestions like Cata's that make very good sense!

I for one am baffled at the point of going mad! Do we have a first line anymore? one that is a scoring threat? that other teams dread or put their checking line against?

KoIVU and KOvy! with the flavour of the day!

but keep Perez, Johnny and Plex as the checking line and a few other staples...

our new second line.. LATS, LAPS, RYDER.

Do whatever with the fourth line! It should be better than whats been done so far.

I don't want to think how the remaining games this month will go but I can't wait to see what kind of team we have one week after the all-star game.

I know that I don't want to be facing the habs coaching staff in the next couple of weeks, it will be one drill or another lesson or another new rant that I would need to listen to. It cannot be fun in the dressing room, bus or plane.

Go HABS GO!

The rookie coaches are the problem. Last year Julien got axed and he had two cancers..Theodore and Ribeiro. He's sure doing wonders with less in jersey this year. When is Carbo going to feal the heat? When we drop out of the playoffs??

From what I have seen Kovalev is not providing the Canadiens with what he used to last year and that is opportune scoring. Last year I remember him scoring so many goals or creating so many chances in tight games this was just another game where he failed to impress me or bring me out of my seat even once.

Please Kovalev bring me some excitement tomorrow.

Kovalev remains a mystery. He played very well for us last season, but this year - I don't know. I still wonder if his knee has rendered him permanently damaged goods. He doesn't seem to have that extra gear that used to let him weave through teams; nowadays his dekes fizzle out and lead to turnovers.

But really, the one that got away is Perrault IMO...I can't imagine that he wouldn't have helped this team. Just look at the faceoff stats, not to mention what he brings offensively.

Edited by sbhatt