The Lions of Winter

Athlétique.Canadien

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :puke:

Where's the freakin beef? I worked for a university club for a year as a trainer and when I was interviewed the coach warned me that "Hockey players are babies. They want their (explesive) wiped". He was experieced. This coach played for the Nords (hint)

This post makes me look like a fool. Why has our team forsaken us? Do they not care about the fans or are they going to keep taking smoke breaks during every game?

The amazing thing is. They still can make the playoffs. The sheer power of what these guys could do is impressive.

The sucky thing is they are just babies. And, I just don't have anything left in the tank to justify my original rant. It's because these guys just seem to lose lose lose :angry:

WHERE'S OUR STREAK HABS?

:puke:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

• 1 year later...

LIONS OF WINTER 2008

Oh indeed how times have changed and this thread offers a interesting look into what we all went through last year.

But now, the LIONS OF WINTER ARE ROARING!

The Lion has been sleeping. All of the other members of the jungle forgot about the Lion.

The Lion is waking up soon!

0sakukoivu1.jpg

bob_inside.jpg

:hlogo:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

LIONS OF WINTER 2008

Oh indeed how times have changed and this thread offers a interesting look into what we all went through last year.

But now, the LIONS OF WINTER ARE ROARING!

The Lion has been sleeping. All of the other members of the jungle forgot about the Lion.

The Lion is waking up soon!

Awesome!!

The thing that inspired me on this thread initially is that : THESE ARE THE CANADIENS!

It actually goes back to game 5 of the final in '93. CBC opened with the "Lions Of Winter" theme. Ron Maclean talked about the lion that sleeps and people forget about because he's resting, but all of a sudden out of nowhere :o the Lion is awake. MacLean's voice was overlayed onto The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens. I remember that night. :)

So, it actually wasn't the book that inspired this thread. It was this:

STC1993.jpg

GO HABS GO :hlogo:

Steve Winwood - Back In The High Life Again

You tube link

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

The thing that inspired me on this thread initially is that : THESE ARE THE CANADIENS!

It actually goes back to game 5 of the final in '93. CBC opened with the "Lions Of Winter" theme. Ron Maclean talked about the lion that sleeps and people forget about because he's resting, but all of a sudden out of nowhere :o the Lion is awake. MacLean's voice was overlayed onto The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens. I remember that night. :)

So, it actually wasn't the book that inspired this thread. It was this:

STC1993.jpg

GO HABS GO :hlogo:

Steve Winwood - Back In The High Life Again

You tube link

I got excited when I saw the link, as I thought it was the montage that was played after the Habs won the cup in 93. Then I realized it was just a Steve Winwood video ^_^ .

All the same, it definitely brings back memories :clap:

The question is.....Do you think CBC would play this song again if we won this year??

Here's my 93: 08 Comparison for our playoff run:

Roy = Price

Desjardins < Markov

Carbo = Koivu

Leclair = Ryder (The OT master)

Kovy / Plex / Kosty = The weapon we didnt have in 93 !!

I got excited when I saw the link, as I thought it was the montage that was played after the Habs won the cup in 93. Then I realized it was just a Steve Winwood video ^_^ .

All the same, it definitely brings back memories :clap:

The question is.....Do you think CBC would play this song again if we won this year??

Me too

Here's my 93: 08 Comparison for our playoff run:

Roy = Price

Desjardins < Markov

Carbo = Koivu

Leclair = Ryder (The OT master)

Kovy / Plex / Kosty = The weapon we didnt have in 93 !!

Hee hee...fun to think about, but Muller was the Koivu equivalent on that team.

Muller > Koivu.

Carbo > whoever we use as our shutdown guy (Smolinski??). By a factor of about 10 000.

Damphouse + Bellows = or > Kosty and Kovy.

Roy > Price (come on! You're assuming that Price will rival the greatest display of sustained clutch goaltending in league history? This is hope, not analysis!! :lol: ).

Leclair > Ryder. Most likely. In that playoff, Leclair was the player he would become in Philly - a player about 10X better than Ryder on his best day.

However, Pleks definitely > Stephane Lebeau/Denis Savard (our second line Cs back then)

Off the top of my head, the D is probably a saw-off.

Coaching too, but Demers DID make the ballsy move of pulling Roy for the 2-man advantage during the McSorley penalty at the end of Game 2. I will always love him for that. Would Carbo have that go-for-broke panache? It remains to be seen.

Muller > Koivu.

More like Muller >>> Koivu

Roy = Price

You have got to be shitting me...I don't know what else to say about that. Been drinking tonight? Tokin' perhaps? :blink:

Hard to compare, because they are very different style teams. We don't have a Carbo caliber defensive shut-down guy, but we have a more explosive offense...in spite of Ryder/Koivu having terrible and mediocre seasons respectively.

You have got to be shitting me...I don't know what else to say about that. Been drinking tonight? Tokin' perhaps? :blink:

Hard to compare, because they are very different style teams. We don't have a Carbo caliber defensive shut-down guy, but we have a more explosive offense...in spite of Ryder/Koivu having terrible and mediocre seasons respectively.

1) It wasnt really meant to say that they are equal, just kind of a fun comparison of different players we have filling the same roles in different eras. They are both the starting goaltenders. Therefore, one equals the other.

2) Price hasn't played a game yet. Talk to me when he DOESNT bring us all the way.

3) Simmer down

Koivu has been good in the playoffs. I expect the same this year. I expect you to shit on him regardless.

Hee hee...fun to think about, but Muller was the Koivu equivalent on that team.

Muller > Koivu.

Carbo > whoever we use as our shutdown guy (Smolinski??). By a factor of about 10 000.

Damphouse + Bellows = or > Kosty and Kovy.

Roy > Price (come on! You're assuming that Price will rival the greatest display of sustained clutch goaltending in league history? This is hope, not analysis!! :lol: ).

Leclair > Ryder. Most likely. In that playoff, Leclair was the player he would become in Philly - a player about 10X better than Ryder on his best day.

However, Pleks definitely > Stephane Lebeau/Denis Savard (our second line Cs back then)

Off the top of my head, the D is probably a saw-off.

Coaching too, but Demers DID make the ballsy move of pulling Roy for the 2-man advantage during the McSorley penalty at the end of Game 2. I will always love him for that. Would Carbo have that go-for-broke panache? It remains to be seen.

What is wrong with you guys?

Uh Paul Dipietro? Who is going to fill the role of career nobody who played out of his mind for 6 weeks?

Those are the guys who help win Cups or take you on long playoff drives. Fernando Pisani, Matt Cullen, Mike LeClerc, Ville Niemenen

They are usually forgotten but their contributions on the lower lines are HUGE

Uh Paul Dipietro? Who is going to fill the role of career nobody who played out of his mind for 6 weeks?

Those are the guys who help win Cups or take you on long playoff drives. Fernando Pisani, Matt Cullen, Mike LeClerc, Ville Niemenen

I guess it wil have to be Lapierre or Kosto....nobody else to fill in for DiPietro, as far as I can see..

Steve Begin?

Steve Begin?

Who? I'm sorry, he's been non-existent all year.

I think you mean LATENDRESSE!

... or not ...

Maybe Guillame will prove to be a playoff monster? Like Zednik, all those years back, but grittier...

Edited by TheAussiePosse

1) It wasnt really meant to say that they are equal, just kind of a fun comparison of different players we have filling the same roles in different eras. They are both the starting goaltenders. Therefore, one equals the other.

2) Price hasn't played a game yet. Talk to me when he DOESNT bring us all the way.

3) Simmer down

Koivu has been good in the playoffs. I expect the same this year. I expect you to shit on him regardless.

Muller in 1993 was better than Koivu ever was or ever will be (for what little is left).

I like Koivu a lot... but he's not in the same class as Muller.