Getting to know: Josh Gorges

mathieu30

Josh Gorges has spent most of his hockey career proving he's not too small to be successful.

"That's always been the knock against me and it just makes me work harder to prove I can play," the Canadiens' newest defenceman said.

"I'm a puck-moving defenceman who takes care of his own end," said Gorges, who has played 96 games for the Sharks in the past two seasons. "I think the rules in the new NHL favour a defenceman who can skate and finish a check and move the puck up to the forwards."

Undersized Gorges brings big game

:hlogo:

Sounds like Craig Rivet at the beginning of his career...

Pairings?

Markov Komi

Souray Gorges

Bouillon Streit

Dandenault...

I'd like to bump Bouillon and Dandenault out... get a big guy to play with Streit.

Or maybe do as follows:

Souray Dandenault

Gorges Streit

That way we only have Cube on the bench.

Sounds like Craig Rivet at the beginning of his career...

Pairings?

Markov Komi

Souray Gorges

Bouillon Streit

Dandenault...

I'd like to bump Bouillon and Dandenault out... get a big guy to play with Streit.

Or maybe do as follows:

Souray Dandenault

Gorges Streit

That way we only have Cube on the bench.

I agree that Dandnault shoud go, but I love the Cube. I hope he finds the same form he had last year though.

Listening to the team 990., tony marinaro said georges got a cold welcome from the 7 or 8 guys he talked to.

Great, if that is accurate that really says alot about this team. That is just terrible, this are reason why i want the core dismantled. It's up to Koivu the leader to fix the problem.

Listening to the team 990., tony marinaro said georges got a cold welcome from the 7 or 8 guys he talked to.

Just more media speculation and crap - the problem is people believe this crud and then pass it on....

No insult intended, but just see below for proof of this kind of junk becoming the stuff of legends and folklore?

Great, if that is accurate that really says alot about this team. That is just terrible, this are reason why i want the core dismantled. It's up to Koivu the leader to fix the problem.
Edited by beliveau1

i said IF it's true that says alot about the team. I never claimed it to be fact.

I realize that, but the next quote will build on what you said, probably misquoting you in the process.

And on & on it goes until the first post/comment becomes rooted in legend as the truth?

Wasn't saying you were the problem - sorry if it was interpreted as such :)

No offense taken, like you mentioned i don't like to be mis quoted either.

Can't say I blame you on that - a very infuriating and frustrating thing when you see or hear that.

Thanks for accepting - I should have been a bit more precise in my response I guess :?- :blush:

Of all the young prospects who changed hands around deadline day, Gorges has more NHL experience than any of them who weren't a year or more older. Not that far behind the ones who were (Wideman, O'Brien, Upshall, etc.) either.

Edited by bobby

Last year's Rivet? or this year's Rivet :) Big difference

Well, his "upside" would be Rivet at his best. Overall I could visualize a similar career curve for Gorges as Rivet had. Which is certainly nothing to sneer at. Just as a note of interest, two first rounders from the 2002 draft changed hands near the trade deadline, Scottie Upshall (#6 overall pick), and Denis Grebeshkov (#19 overall pick). Gorges has more NHL games and playing time than either of them, and he is nearly a full year younger than both. :huh:

If you go by the numbers Gorges is probably the best prospect to change hands at the deadline or in the month preceding it. He averaged nearly 18 minutes per game playing time this year, most of any of the prospects that were traded. His point totals aren't overwhelming, but he was asked to play a defensive role. Sharks had other defensemen who specialized in offense.

As it sits, the first round pick the Habs acquired could be the best of all picks to change hands as well. San Jose is slumping, the pick is currently around #20 overall, and could end up in the mid to late teens unless the Sharks turn things around in a hurry.

Edited by bobby

I know he is a left handed D, but what side does he play?

Gorges has been playing the right side in San Jose. Mostly out of necessity. But his versatility is a huge bonus. He was a forward up to his second year in the WHL I believe, so I'm sure he could fill in up front if necessary as well. Finding a player willing and able to fill in at every position outside the crease is no small thing, even if he never secures a regular spot.

Gorges upside is Rivet. More or less.

This is my take exactly. Which makes it a pretty impressive trade for the Habs, IMO. It's not helping the team right now, but people tend to forget that so far this season, neither had Rivet. Seriously. This was not his best year, and next year he's a free agent. Him getting such a price from SJ may actually help Rivet's price quite a bit come free agent time.

As it sits, the first round pick the Habs acquired could be the best of all picks to change hands as well. San Jose is slumping, the pick is currently around #20 overall, and could end up in the mid to late teens unless the Sharks turn things around in a hurry.

Lets hope the first round pick stays in the early 20's and whoever it is that is selected has the most upside of all.

Just more media speculation and crap - the problem is people believe this crud and then pass it on....

No insult intended, but just see below for proof of this kind of junk becoming the stuff of legends and folklore?

ahh the man reporting this was in the room and saw it for himself. no speculation involved