Gainey's 3rd year of plan 5 ?

bigbird19

Given the lack of production from AK and S Sam, should we be thinking 2009 or 2010 ?

Trust Bob ?

Wait on 2 more patient years ?

We'd all love to parading down Maire Drapeau's "usual as planned route", but I think there's too much over priced deadwood this year.

Maybe Bob should say " year 3 of 7 ".

Even if it was a 5-year plan... usually that doesn't call for a Stanley cup in the third season. What good would it have done to trade away the future for a "game breaker" if the rest of the team isn't ready or strong enough for a long run?

[This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but there are way too many people freaking out over Gainey's non-moves at the deadline. *le sigh*]

Yeah I am happy Gainey did not sell anyone or any picks to grab a player to ensure the playoffs and slightly increase the Canadiens chances in the post season. The cap will go up and Gainey will do his best to make the team a better team next season. Few players remain from when he took over I believe only 4 now next years team may have a lot of new younger faces which could allow for a big UFA centre to be acquired.

As for year 5 I believe he may have pused it back by signing that extension last summer.

When did Gainey ever say anything about a "5 year plan"? I think that is a fabrication of the chatting class.

when he was hired

2 years is a long time. In two years Price will be in nets, and that kid Fisher will be in his third year of Uni. S. Kostitsyn may even have had a call up by then. And our roolies this year should be more impactful by then. Looking forward to Tenderhead two years from now.

I think a lot will change in the next two years.

I agree. The kids coming through and a lot of guys leaving who are currently here will see a very different team in 2 years. Bob has held on to a lot of guys whose contracts will be up or who have run out of gas over the next couple of years.

I'm happy he didn't sell the farm (lit) this year.

Ok so which pieces of the puzzle is missing in the CH?

I think one big piece is missing, that has been missing all year...the 2nd line center

Whoever buffalo chooses to resign...take the unsigned immediately...

Both drury and briere demonstrate leadership roles and have remarkable skill

So theres the problem solved to the big question mark of who will be the 2nd line centre

In two years time 21,273 will be going "GUIIII" every time Latendresse touches the puck: 60+ Pt season

Emelin is likely to come over from Russia (lets hope)

Kostitsyn, Grabovski, Chipchura, Lapierre will all be full time players

Koivu, Higgins, and Ryder will no longer be a line

Samsonov will be put with Drury and Kovalev

Souray will remain our #1 D, Streit our #2, Markov #3, Komisarek #4 Gorges? #5?

Dandenault, Ninemma...gone

Perezhogin, Murray, Bonk, Johnson...gone

Huet starting tender, Halak back up next season

Huet starter, Price backup next

These predictions may not be true, but if you ask me they are very likely to occur

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Ok so which pieces of the puzzle is missing in the CH?

I think one big piece is missing, that has been missing all year...the 2nd line center

Whoever buffalo chooses to resign...take the unsigned immediately...

Both drury and briere demonstrate leadership roles and have remarkable skill

So theres the problem solved to the big question mark of who will be the 2nd line centre

In two years time 21,273 will be going "GUIIII" every time Latendresse touches the puck: 60+ Pt season

Emelin is likely to come over from Russia (lets hope)

Kostitsyn, Grabovski, Chipchura, Lapierre will all be full time players

Koivu, Higgins, and Ryder will no longer be a line

Samsonov will be put with Drury and Kovalev

Souray will remain our #1 D, Streit our #2, Markov #3, Komisarek #4 Gorges? #5?

Dandenault, Ninemma...gone

Perezhogin, Murray, Bonk, Johnson...gone

Huet starting tender, Halak back up next season

Huet starter, Price backup next

These predictions may not be true, but if you ask me they are very likely to occur

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Not too far off.

I don't think they will keep Huet once Halak or Price or Danis maybe can show they are ready for a challenge (more then a backup).

I absolutely agree with signing either Drury or Briere though, unless a true number one can be had in trade or signing.

Well a prwtty good arguement, however i think BG mistake was he could have made the turnoaround a year sooner. I was one of a few who said the team will need to fall apart before it gets better. I think he signed certain players 1 year too long for the turnover of younger (better) players. Examples would be Dandy, Bouillon, Kovalev, Samsonov, 1 year too long for koivu. Komi and Markov are the keys top the defense and need to be signed long term. A few good trades and an upgrade at center and defense is needed to turn this team around. Youth is the way to go, Briere, Gomez and Datsuyk i beleive are all middle to late 20's. Drury is a bit older but a great player and leader.

So i think based on contracts, it will take one more year to turn the ship around. Unless BG can get rid of a few players i don't see this team being much better then this year.

Do we really need a second line center?

Next year we could have Koivu, Grabovski, Plekanec and Lapierre

And that Urquart is developing well and could be called in case of injuries (that's a guy with a huge frame!)

IMO, we have 3 second line center (Koivu, Grab, Plek)

The problem I see is that we don't have a FIRST line center. Koivu's getting older, and he's never been able to put up the points of a premier first line center - be it because of injuries, poor linemates or lack of size or whatsoever. I hope bob'll try to trade / sign a first line center, like Brière.

On the wings it's gonna be good. We'll have Higgins, Rider, Kovalev, Samsonov, Lats, Kosty, Perezhogin (I still think this guy is a late bloomer), Johson (that Johnson had over 50 points in the 2 last seasons with Phoenix...) and the always intense Bégin. I'm quite ok with that crew.

But there are IFs : Sammy needs to get back to what he used to be (a 25 goal scorer), Kovalev need put up points once more, Perez and Kosty need to show their talent.

Moreover, I'd not say no to another power foward, or at least to a gritty winger that ends seasons with as many bodychecks than shots on goal...

Do we really need a second line center?

Next year we could have Koivu, Grabovski, Plekanec and Lapierre

And that Urquart is developing well and could be called in case of injuries (that's a guy with a huge frame!)

IMO, we have 3 second line center (Koivu, Grab, Plek)

The problem I see is that we don't have a FIRST line center. Koivu's getting older, and he's never been able to put up the points of a premier first line center - be it because of injuries, poor linemates or lack of size or whatsoever. I hope bob'll try to trade / sign a first line center, like Brière.

On the wings it's gonna be good. We'll have Higgins, Rider, Kovalev, Samsonov, Lats, Kosty, Perezhogin (I still think this guy is a late bloomer), Johson (that Johnson had over 50 points in the 2 last seasons with Phoenix...) and the always intense Bégin. I'm quite ok with that crew.

But there are IFs : Sammy needs to get back to what he used to be (a 25 goal scorer), Kovalev need put up points once more, Perez and Kosty need to show their talent.

Moreover, I'd not say no to another power foward, or at least to a gritty winger that ends seasons with as many bodychecks than shots on goal...

agreed 100% on the center.

I think they do, they list you named on paper is fine, but the top 3 centers you have listed are all smurfs, this team is too small as it is now, they need some size to compete.

Well a prwtty good arguement, however i think BG mistake was he could have made the turnoaround a year sooner. I was one of a few who said the team will need to fall apart before it gets better. I think he signed certain players 1 year too long for the turnover of younger (better) players. Examples would be Dandy, Bouillon, Kovalev, Samsonov, 1 year too long for koivu. Komi and Markov are the keys top the defense and need to be signed long term. A few good trades and an upgrade at center and defense is needed to turn this team around. Youth is the way to go, Briere, Gomez and Datsuyk i beleive are all middle to late 20's. Drury is a bit older but a great player and leader.

So i think based on contracts, it will take one more year to turn the ship around. Unless BG can get rid of a few players i don't see this team being much better then this year.

I have to agree, with hinsight...

but ... othewise, what if some of our actual "prospects" (now rookies and sophomore) were busts? Dandy, Kovalev, etc. leaving the team... and us having nothing to fill in

agreed 100% on the center.

Not me. Koivu, with a winger of the caliber of Higgins, when both are healthy, is a true legitimate good 1st line center... Not of Marleau or Lecavalier's caliber... but still, top 15 in the league.

Grabovski is still on the bubble, and Plekanec, IMO is a 3rd line center.

We need a good 2nd line center OR, as you said, a better 1st line center... but not because Koivu isn't adequate in that role.

We need a good 2nd line center OR, as you said, a better 1st line center... but not because Koivu isn't adequate in that role.

A part of my point was that Saku's getting older... And all these injuries and sickness will claim their hold on him sooner or later. IMO he'd make a tremendous second line center.

If your first line center is Koivu, you're an 8-seed. If he's your second line center, then you have the depth of a cup contender (according that you have the same depth at the other positions - this isn't our case on the D)

Plekanec, IMO is a 3rd line center

That's what I tought this fall, but since january, he's been playing like a second line center. We'll see if he can keep putting up points for the rest of the season...

But still if Koivu is 2nd and Pleks is 3rd, we're in buisness!

Even if it was a 5-year plan... usually that doesn't call for a Stanley cup in the third season. What good would it have done to trade away the future for a "game breaker" if the rest of the team isn't ready or strong enough for a long run?

[This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but there are way too many people freaking out over Gainey's non-moves at the deadline. *le sigh*]

Only a pure genious announces they are working on a 5 year plan. :bow:

Plekanec has taken over as the Number One center. Koivu hasn't shown up after Xmas.

Koivu managed some points in a handful of games before tonight, which for one reason or another buys him the loyalty of the rose-colored glasses crowd for a little while longer. But I agree...Plekanec is the guy I'd rather have on the ice right now.

Edited by sbhatt