Samsonov regrets signing with Habs

mathieu30

You have to imagine that such quotes come from leading questions posed by reporters, questions brought on by comments from Carbo as to why Samso is sitting in the press box.

This has gone on all season, since the very beginning Samso has either been forced to sit out of games or had his ice time cut severely after a bad 1st period. Yeah he has played poorly, much of that is due to conflicts between his matured natural 'free wheeling' style of play and Carbo's tried and true defensive role playing system. I'm not the first here to say it, what did Gainey & co. think they were getting? You have to assume they thought he would be better able to adapt to the system, but he hasn't. At what point do you decide to instead adapt your own system to the players you have?

One of the things that makes me think Carbo is a little too stuck in his ways is the sort of attitude he displays towards the referees, quite the yapper mr.Carbo is. He's been penalized for it earlier this season. Meanwhile the Habs happen to be suffering from penalty-itis, especially once our legs got too tired to keep up the short handed scoring we enjoyed the first few months of the season. You've got Carbo giving off bad vibes like some kind of gulag acid trip mishap and the refs seeming to enjoy watching his blood boil.

You would hope that in lieu of his hardnosed attitude towards the refs he might instead try more of an old-boy vibe with them to try and keep the whistles in the pockets, but alas no. I would also accept that much of this anger towards the refs is misdirected disgust with his team, but that is beside the point. Point is that Carbo is the kind of guy who is gonna stick to his ways, and you can easily argue that that is a good thing. Point is that Samso is the kind of guy who can only really play one style, a style you could easily argue would benefit almost any NHL team.

So in conclusion, it is so clear that Carbo is set in his ways, and that Samso's playing style doesn't fit in, and that if it is true, as Samso has said, that “[He] thought this was going to be a better fit, because of the guys in the lineup and the way management portrayed things." Then why is it surprising that after being benched, again, he would have to admit "..it was never meant to be.”

This isn't any real inflammatory statement, it is just the way it is, Samso knows it, Carbo knows it, we know it. They put the 3.5 million dollar man on waivers, geez. I would imagine that had teh Kovalev incident not happened within recent memory, that this would have been far less of a story.

All the best to Samso, the nhl hasn't seen the last of him.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is not about his production, his effort or his lack of any....

Whether he has been misused, mis-coached or misunderstood is not the issue in this case.

It's about his ongoing lack of discretion when it comes to shooting his mouth off, as well as his agents lack thereof!!!!!

In a team environment you absolutely must keep this type of dirty laundry inside the house itself.

Go to the captain, go to the coach, go to the manager and go to the owner as a last resort - but keep your mouth tightly closed when it comes to the public, and especially when it comes to the media.

Doing so causes nothing but dissension amongst the ranks, and it is very apparent that this team is rife with problems at the moment....

He has not shown any discretion at all, or any class as far as that goes.

The point is not about his production, his effort or his lack of any....

Whether he has been misused, mis-coached or misunderstood is not the issue in this case.

It's about his ongoing lack of discretion when it comes to shooting his mouth off, as well as his agents lack thereof!!!!!

In a team environment you absolutely must keep this type of dirty laundry inside the house itself.

Go to the captain, go to the coach, go to the manager and go to the owner as a last resort - but keep your mouth tightly closed when it comes to the public, and especially when it comes to the media.

Doing so causes nothing but dissension amongst the ranks, and it is very apparent that this team is rife with problems at the moment....

He has not shown any discretion at all, or any class as far as that goes.

My very thought (lack of finesse with the english language prevented me from posting it).

Merci,

de nouveau ;)

I'd lived in Boston for years, and saw Sammy playing there for a number of seasons. This is why I was at first so excited to have him come over to Montreal. But that's not what we're talking about here. My issue here is not assigning the blame for Samsonov's poor play. It could be him, the system, linemates, city, coach, health, motivation, whatever, probably a combination of some of these.

What I'm pissed off about is the timing and nature of his comments. Why now, why can't it wait until the end of the season? He's been passed on while on waivers, the trade deadline is past, what can he possibly accomplish now except disrupt the team? It's the basic selfishness of it that bugs me, not the lack of production from him.

well said. You echoed my thoughts exactly...

Habs will have a few critical personnel issues this off season.

GO HABS GO!

My very thought (lack of finesse with the english language prevented me from posting it).

Merci,

de nouveau ;)

No problem - as for your command of the English language.... well it's far far better than my French will ever be!

Carbonneau better just suck it up and keep him in the lineup...It's better to have a fast skating underachiever than a slow skating underachiever. For all we know, he could suddenly get hot in the last 10 games and vault us into the postseason (it's not like Higgins, Koivu, and Ryder have been doing a whole lot lately). Everyones pointing the gun at Samsonov and Kovalev's head...They are not the problems!! I'm starting to think Guy Carbonneau and his Anti-Russian ways might be the primary reason this team is in the dumps! Lets face it, Saku Koivu or Thomas Plekanec are no Joe Thornton. Let's get Samsonov a center he needs to put up the numbers people expect him to, and all will be good. :hlogo:

Edited by justintb

I have sided with Sammy most of the year. Frankly though the last 20 games Sammy has gone even more downhill. He should be benched now.

It is quite clear Carbo prefers French Canadians to other players. However, Sammy has never really put it together this year. I think if he had produced even slightly, it would have been hard to move him out of the line-up. I thought when he joined Bonk and Johnson his play was very improved and then suddenly he was benched again by Carbo.

Carbo has bombed out in the way he handled Sammy. He never played him on the powerplay virtually all year. He had him in the doghouse after 4 games at the start of the year. A coach can screw a player and Carbo has done that.

As other people have said good luck getting another free agent to come and play here. Especially another Russian, wonder where Markov is going next year?

Should have, would have, could have...

We don't know if Samsonov has been to see the captain, the coach, the GM about all this. Maybe this is his last resort, talking to the media. Maybe not.

But I think this is a very poor option as a last resort, if it is indeed so. The issue isn't whether he should have been used here or there or with this line or that line. He sounded off while we are still in the playoff hunt. More media circus at a time when we've just been through a media farce. P*ss-poor timing. I understand he's frustrated - it's not like he wanted to come here and tank it. But even if he had exhausted all his other sources of venting, he shouldn't have come out with it to this wolf-pack media.

What Carbo has/hasn't done with him should be a seperate thread.

Should have, would have, could have...

We don't know if Samsonov has been to see the captain, the coach, the GM about all this. Maybe this is his last resort, talking to the media. Maybe not.

But I think this is a very poor option as a last resort, if it is indeed so. The issue isn't whether he should have been used here or there or with this line or that line. He sounded off while we are still in the playoff hunt. More media circus at a time when we've just been through a media farce. P*ss-poor timing. I understand he's frustrated - it's not like he wanted to come here and tank it. But even if he had exhausted all his other sources of venting, he shouldn't have come out with it to this wolf-pack media.

What Carbo has/hasn't done with him should be a seperate thread.

And I said he should be benched but silencing critics is pretty dumb I think. It is clear Carbo has blown it with many players this year. Sammy going to the media is not gonna make the players play any worse. He probably wont play again this year. Games are decided on the ice. We are discussing why we are in such dire straits. This is not a fascist state or an empire Tokyo.

Lets face it, Saku Koivu or Thomas Plekanec are no Joe Thornton. Let's get Samsonov a center he needs to put up the numbers people expect him to, and all will be good. :hlogo:

Samsonov played with Allison actually! Would you have wanted the Habs to sign that slug.

http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?showtopic=9775

How things have changed for some!! The writing was on the wall from the get go with this punk. My only question now is, if noone wanted him for free before the deadline, who is going to give up... even a bag of pucks for him in the summer? I have a feeling we are going to have to actually pay a team to take him. Obviously with his comments of late, there is no way he's staying in Montreal next year. I can't stand this guy so much that I think I will actually be happy to give him away with a 3rd rd pick, knowing that we'd only get a 4th rounder in return. Good riddance. He will be remembered in the same light as Brisbois, thankfully we won't have as many memories however.

And I said he should be benched but silencing critics is pretty dumb I think. It is clear Carbo has blown it with many players this year. Sammy going to the media is not gonna make the players play any worse. He probably wont play again this year. Games are decided on the ice. We are discussing why we are in such dire straits. This is not a fascist state or an empire Tokyo.

The part in bold, no-one can argue with :P

As for muzzling criticism, I'm more against it than you can imagine. I'm just saying that in the context of a hockey team (as opposed to firing squads of fascists or slave-galleys/forced starvations of Empires), it is a terrible decision to come out to the media with his statements when he did.

What we don't know is whether he exhausted all his avenues internally. But even if he had, what is the point in coming out with those statements? I'd have more respect for him if he had slagged off Carbo/tactics/whatever.

There is a line between criticism (which he doesn't do anyway) and constructive criticism.

There's a difference between Samsonov "going to the media" and Herb Zurkowsky coming to interview him. A reporter came and asked him some questions and he answered them honestly. It's not like he planned this out that he would find a journalist and whine to him.

There's a difference between Samsonov "going to the media" and Herb Zurkowsky coming to interview him. A reporter came and asked him some questions and he answered them honestly. It's not like he planned this out that he would find a journalist and whine to him.

semantics.....

The point remains, he should have kept his yap zipped tighter than a (fill in the blank)

Samsonov played with Allison actually! Would you have wanted the Habs to sign that slug.

GP G A P

2005-2006 Maple Leafs 66 17 43 60

Geez Isn't that funny...if he on the team, he would be leading the team in points as of right now? And he got injured last season for the leafs? :unsure:

PS: I am almost 100% that Samsonov played on the PP with Thornton.....I remember being at some Habs playoff games in 2002 and seeing Samsonov and Thornton.

GP G A P

Geez Isn't that funny...if he on the team, he would be leading the team in points as of right now? And he got injured last season for the leafs? :unsure:

PS: I am almost 100% that Samsonov played on the PP with Thornton.....I remember being at some Habs playoff games in 2002 and seeing Samsonov and Thornton.

Yes on the PP they did play together.

GP G A P

Yeah I was surprised nobody signed Allison, but apparently he was looking for upwards of 3 million a season even during the regular season, past training camp.

This would be according to Satellite Hotstove

Yeah I was surprised nobody signed Allison, but apparently he was looking for upwards of 3 million a season even during the regular season, past training camp.

This would be according to Satellite Hotstove

You Cant believe those Yuppies at CBC...EVER

Bye bye Samso , hello Kosty :clap:

It would be hilarious if the Habs dumped him on waivers again and no one took him. Just ask a 8th round pick for him and be done with it... hes a poison for the locker room.