Jack Todd on Aibescher and agrees with me about Kostistyn

Nilan25

OOOkkkaaayyy, Mr. Crosby, we want you to stop ganging up on the Habs!!!!!

Yep, that one-on-four goal

Sidney Crosby scored against the Canadiens Friday evening has to go into the highlight reel - or maybe it should be the lowlight reel.

Take a look: Maxim Lapierre, Mathieu Dandeneault, Janne

Niinimaa and Sheldon Souray, all closing on Crosby. Dandeneault for some reason peels away to the right. Crosby cuts to his left, away from his nemesis, Lapierre. Niinimaa makes a good play to pokecheck the puck away from Crosby, but Sheldon Souray fails to close. Crosby pounces back on the puck and beats David Aebischer with the kind of wrist shot that shouldn't be a goal in Junior B.

What does Guy Carbonneau say after that one? "Guys, I want FIVE checkers on Crosby, not FOUR!"

Dear Abby: Sorry, but if Carbo goes back to Aebischer after that game, he's out of his mind. Whatever the question, Aebischer is not the answer. He's a veteran who's had plenty of chances to step up and has failed miserably.

If Cristobal Huet doesn't go down Feb. 14, the Habs have somewhere between six and 10 more points, which means they already have a playoff spot all locked up. Instead, as Carbonneau struggles to find a goalie, they're on the fringe of the race.

It has been a very long while since Aebischer played a game like the one Jaroslav Halak turned in against the Leafs Saturday. Halak is calm, skilled and he doesn't give up 20-foot rebounds. Ride the kid until Huet is healthy or the season is over, whichever comes first.

Wheeling and dealing: Bob Gainey's deal for Aebischer is still the best trade he has made. Not because he acquired the Swiss goalie, but because he got rid of Jose Theodore.

Aebischer is 13-12-3 on the season with a 3.17 goals-against and a .900 save percentage. Theodore is 11-14-1 with a 3.41 goals-against average and an .888 save percentage - the worst numbers in the league for any goalie who has played 30 games or more.

Where have you been all our lives? What took the Canadiens so long to get Andrei Kostitsyn into the lineup on a regular basis? We wouldn't trade this guy for three Sergei Samsonovs and an Alex Kovalev. He's got a second gear, he's not afraid to go to the net and he's hungry.

Welcome to the NHL, Andrei. Maybe someday the league will learn how to spell your name.

Eye-catching habs: Toronto reporters in town Saturday night were gushing over Maxim Lapierre. Seems he might be a taller, stronger, faster Darcy Tucker. Hmmmmm...

Does Jack Todd ever say anything insightful? Has this Don Cherry wannabee (say what you will about Cherry, but he has played AHL level hockey and won a Jack Adams as coach, and does use this insight to provide some good commentary about hockey) even played a game of hockey in his life? This useless american draft dodger should be replaced with someone who can provide a little more than sarcastic couch potato commentary.

Edited by Dirty Harry

I don't often agree with draft dodger but I do agree that abby should be finished in montreal may as well send him to hamilton now. He simply ain't got it. Now titsy on the other hand has true talent and will be a big part of future. I see a kid who will be a 40-50 goal scorer for years to come

Todd neither knows or cares much about hockey. Some guy standing in front of the T.V. store for half an hour one evening could tell you that Aebischer is not an NHL starting goaltender. What Todd fails to realize is that Huet is just marginal as well. He threw away about 6-10 points BEFORE he was injured.

As for Kostitsyn, he is Kovalev with about 50% of the natural skill level at the same age. Otherwise, he is just as dumb and self absorbed in his play. It won't be long before everyone gets tired of him.

As for Kostitsyn, he is Kovalev with about 50% of the natural skill level at the same age. Otherwise, he is just as dumb and self absorbed in his play. It won't be long before everyone gets tired of him.

Would you care to lace up the skates and show how much smarter than them you are?

Sign me to a multi year, multi million dollar contract first.

Kostitsyn has been playing pro hockey for the past 5 years. Over that period, he has scored a grand total of 54 goals. 0 in 2 seasons of limited play in the RSL, 51 in 3 AHL seasons, and 3 in 2 cracks at the NHL. That averages out to 11 goals per season, and I doubt that he can improve on that average over the next 5 years at the NHL level.

Todd neither knows or cares much about hockey. Some guy standing in front of the T.V. store for half an hour one evening could tell you that Aebischer is not an NHL starting goaltender. What Todd fails to realize is that Huet is just marginal as well. He threw away about 6-10 points BEFORE he was injured.

Agree with you Todd's perspective. Always have.

However, I wonder where your opinion on Kostitsyn is coming from. Could you back it up with details and proof?

I'm not so quick to judge him. His brother has fire in his belly, and when those two are on the same team I think that they will see things the same way and work hard. Hockey is about fun, and maybe he has been having problems adjusting to North America ... and Hamilton.

I remember Hack Shodd from his days of not going to a single Expo game all season... frikin guy... unfortunately all you can do is not read what he has to say...

at first it is tough, reading his inane rants give you a sick thrill, the thrill of disgust, a feeling of superiority... really the guy is kind of a pick me up... but once you give up on the Toddenfraude for a while you begin to feel a weight off your shoulders each an every time your eye darts from Hickey to Fisher without bothering to stop even for an instant on the CAPSLOCCKKIN HACK SHODD!!!

Your quote is about as Dumb as Dumb can be. Your the one who sounds like an idiot from Mars. You understand hockey? Doubt it. Don't like to mock someone, but you fit the bill!

The last few games have finally shown the potential Kosti has. Give him some icetime and see what he can do. Let him know here is here to stay and he will be comfy enough to start producing at a big time level. Maybe not 100 points a season, but keep him with talent and give him icetime and the results will be good.

Sign me to a multi year, multi million dollar contract first.

Kostitsyn has been playing pro hockey for the past 5 years. Over that period, he has scored a grand total of 54 goals. 0 in 2 seasons of limited play in the RSL, 51 in 3 AHL seasons, and 3 in 2 cracks at the NHL. That averages out to 11 goals per season, and I doubt that he can improve on that average over the next 5 years at the NHL level.

Goaless in TWO SEASON in the RSL ?

He didn't score while with the CSK Moscow but he played 6 games in the first season and 11th in the second season........0 goal in 17 games to be accurate.

LIMITED PLAY would be best used to described the ice time he probably didn't get as a 19-20 years old while playing those 17 games on the third or most likely the fourth line with no PP time.

His seasons in Hamilton where limited to 65 games per in his first two season.

A low 23 points on the first wich he double on the second at 47 points.

This year he only played 46 games yet collected 45 points during that time.

A low start no doubt but a steady progression no less,.....a point per game on his last,..not bad.

I dont know about the futur but his 4 points in his last 3 games where crucial to keep our playoff run alive........and that is big.

Thank you PB.

Also he had only 3 points in his first 8 games this season.

After that he had 49points in 42 games.

During that stretch he had 15 multi point games.

A 7 game point streak and an 11 game point streak.

This year he is also a +24 compared to last year when he was a -14.

Isn't it unrealistic to expect young players to produce so quickly? You can't take what they're done so early in their career and work out an avg and say thats what they're going to be like in five years...thats just dumb.

I think Huet is a great goalie, our D has been suspect at times, so I tip my hat to Mr. Huet. People are SO 'what have you done for me lately' at times it makes me sick.

One thing lads: dodging the draft was the right thing to do.

After that, Todd is a knob of the lowest order. Slower to realise things even than us out here in the far east.

Dodging a draft is not the right thing to do when all your friends and family are going off to war. You may not agree with the war(it was dumb) but if you had any honour you'd be there for them.

If Kosty can stay consistent he'll be a very dangerous top line forward for years.

For the record, I'm also not sold on Huet as a long term solution. Also, while the media has a love-in over Halak he's not even close to being considered a "saviour" yet IMO. I think Halak could be a solid back-up for a long time but more then that is probably very unrealistic...hopefully he proves me wrong and carries this team.

Dodging a draft is not the right thing to do when all your friends and family are going off to war. You may not agree with the war(it was dumb) but if you had any honour you'd be there for them.

Not to change the topic of this thread, but I'm not sure we should be quick to second guess his decision. I'm sure it was an agonizing one to leave his home country. Considering the consequences were potentially death, it wasn't a simple matter to make the 'honourable' choice. In any event, Vietnam vets were not treated honourably for the choice they made.

Personally, I'd rather be honourless and alive than honourable and dead, but maybe that's just me.

As for ####, I think he's going to be a great player for the Habs. I don't think you can really question his desire, because at the 05-06 training camp, he wanted to make the team out of camp despite having only been in North America for a year. He wants to be a big-time player and I have no doubt in my mind that he won't fail to disappoint us.

If you have honour you don't kill people for no reason. Ali did the honourable thing, but look how much that hurt him. I don't like Todd much (for his writing) but the honourable thing to do in the Vietnam war would have been to fight the US.

Back on topic: Kostitsyn is going be big. He's shown what he can do, over and over... Someone (Boone or Hickey) misreported that the goal the other night was Kostitsyn's first in the nhl.. last year he scored on his first NHL shot (in his second or third game) and he's gotten a lot better since then.

Edited by revin5

If you have honour you don't kill people for no reason. Ali did the honourable thing, but look how much that hurt him. I don't like Todd much (for his writing) but the honourable thing to do in the Vietnam war would have been to fight the US.

So, the "honourable" John Kerry, who fought in Vietnam lost to the "semi-honourable" GW Bush, who's pappy got him assigned to the local National Guard, where he may or may not have fulfilled his required service.

I don't know who this Jack Todd is but he speaks the truth.

Abby is a disaster, if it were up to me it would be Halak and Leighton up here and Aebischer down in the minors. When we have a game we desperatly need to lose then Abby will get a call.

Kosty will lead our team in points next season, this is the second time I will say it. So Carbo doesnt have the foresight to bring him up earlier, it's not the first mistake he has made all season.

Our D is miserably bad, Niinima and Souray together on the ice is cringe worthy.

Anyone who says dodging a draft is worng has eithe never been to war or has never faced a draft, and don't waste your breath on Bobby he posts the same stuff every time.

Kosty will lead our team in points next season, this is the second time I will say it. So Carbo doesnt have the foresight to bring him up earlier, it's not the first mistake he has made all season.

I said on another forum even before the season started that Lapierre and Kostsitsyn were in my opinion NHL-ready, and should have started the season in Montreal. Kostsitsyn was probably our best forward during the camp, he finished strong last season in Hamilton, and was great during the WC. This guy was ready, and had he played the entire season, he might be a key contributor at this point of the season, and might perhaps have made the difference in a few games when we were starving for goals in the second half.

Of course, he might not have impressed, but it's not like we would have been any worse off, and at least he would have gained some great experience. If we were able to be extra patient with Latendresse (because let's be honest, he was awful for the first 10 games, and not much better in the second half until recently), I don't see why our best offensive prospect didn't deserve the same chance.

At least, the kids who should be up at this point are, and will hopefully stay with us for good.

I don't often agree with draft dodger but I do agree that abby should be finished in montreal may as well send him to hamilton now. He simply ain't got it. Now titsy on the other hand has true talent and will be a big part of future. I see a kid who will be a 40-50 goal scorer for years to come

I'm not too sure about 50 (unless he teams with "lil ####" as you guys call him) but for a glimpse into the future look no further than Tomas Vanek. These guys are clones of each other.

How do you all his friends and family were going off to war? Maybe George W. Bush was one of his friends.

Regarding Koistitsyn, I don't know what people want. It seems like some people feel we should dump him just because he didn't light up the AHL in his second season in North America. We all all can cite many examples of current NHL stars whose careers started slowly - much slower than Andrei's has so far.

Well Nilan, you are about as articulate as "Knuckles" was, at least. You managed to mangle the spellings of both Aebischer AND Kostitsyn. :huh: At least you spelled Todd right.

It seems I'm the only one who likes Jack Todd...

I like him too,......specially when the CH get involved in the playoffs,.......then his colorfull writing style mesh perfectly with the drama and emotion that is generated by this all encompassing Montreal event.

One thing I dislike thought is a poster like DIRTY HARRY that goes on repeating himself about his personal hatred of draft dodgers........he doesn't care that this will automatically disrupt the thread someone had just

started or that exposing his ignorance for all to see is provocative and anti-thetic to the concept of congenialibility which any fans web's sites type always benefit from.

I mean what good does it do for me to know that I share a commun interest with someone who's feeling outraged by draft dodgers instead of by the grotesque war that they where called to participate in..........a war in which 3.5 MILLLIONS South East Asians lost their lives,.........a war where half million children were borned with dioxine related diformitys as a consequence of the chemical defoliants that had been spreaded all over by the U.S. army.

It doesn't do any good to this site to know such personal details about it's menmbers.