The Samsonov Mega Thread

CBHabs_fan

Vindictiveness will get you nowhere. What good would it do to let him rot in the minors? If he cannot be traded or waived I say buy him out.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vindictiveness will get you nowhere. What good would it do to let him rot in the minors? If he cannot be traded or waived I say buy him out.

I doubt the Habs would do it, but waiving Samsonov, having him clear, then demoting him to the minors would mean his salary does not count against the cap.

I think we can trade Samsonov still. Washington might take him on. Hell, they once took Jeff Friesen on.

I don't think buying him out is an option at all worth considering.

I don't know if NJ is less attractive to sign with after what they did to Mogilny and are still doing to McGillis. Hell, Tampa Bay waived their SC winning captain last year. The damage has already been done as far as what Samsonov exposed as negatives to signing in Montreal.

I agree with Saskhab, there has to be 1 or 2 GM's out there that would give up and bottom round pick or low end prospect for Samsonov this summer. Gainey should just wait until after all the UFA wingers have signed the teams that missed out my take a flyer on him.

Gainey will NOT demote Samsonov.

One thing he seems committed to is creating an organizaton that respects its players and treats them with dignity. Gainey gets blasted for overpaying guys, but I think part of it is that desire to create a class organization. So you overpay for Koivu (actually, I think Koivu could have got that contract elsewhere, so you can argue it's market rate), but you also send the message: we look after you.

In my books, Sammy will be picked up as a reclamation project by some organization. C.f. Columbus. Failing that, we buy him out.

And how many of these Sammy threads do we really need? :wacko:

Sorry, but there are several similar threads...and a new one seems to pop up every day or two.

Booo....sorry to make your eyes hurt. :P

Now back to my apparently repetitive topic...

I don't think Sammy would go to the minors. I would hope that BG would sit down with him and have a conversation along the lines of this:

BG: Listen Sammy, we tried to trade you, we waived you and noone wants you. My only option is to demote you.

SS: I won't go to the minors, if you send me, I'll void my contract and go to Russia.

BG: Bye

or something along those lines...

I think Sammy brought this on himself. It took him half the season to take a shot. He was brought in to score goals, and he hasn't. Yeah, maybe the lines sould have been changed earlier, but liik at his reaction when he was move to a different line(cry, cry, cry). He didn't show anything that would have moved him to the first line at any time this season, so breaking up he lines would have been a demotion, which would have caused this reaction sooner. He doesn't seem like a teaam player, so Carbo has no room for him on this team. I don't think this is a bad thing.

Booo....sorry to make your eyes hurt. :P

Now back to my apparently repetitive topic...

I don't think Sammy would go to the minors. I would hope that BG would sit down with him and have a conversation along the lines of this:

BG: Listen Sammy, we tried to trade you, we waived you and noone wants you. My only option is to demote you.

SS: I won't go to the minors, if you send me, I'll void my contract and go to Russia.

BG: Bye

or something along those lines...

That should be the plan. I have been saying the exact thing on all the other sammy threads. Best thing for both sides. He don't want to play for Montreal They dont want to pay him. Send him to the gulag for a year then he can come back and screw up some other team, when he dosent get his way. :clap:

I agree with Saskhab, there has to be 1 or 2 GM's out there that would give up and bottom round pick or low end prospect for Samsonov this summer. Gainey should just wait until after all the UFA wingers have signed the teams that missed out my take a flyer on him.

yup

I think blame rests firmly on Carbos shoulders for his season. Would anyone miss Carbo if he didn't come back next season? Maybe some, not me, he hasn't shown anything all that impressive. He didn't act when it was painfully obvious and when he did something it was to rip the guts out of this team. His bias has ruined Perezhogins and Samsonovs season and almost kept Kosty in the minors all season.

But I digress, Samsonov should stay, YES I said it he should stay as we might just be stuck with him. Move Kovalev and keep sammy and do everything to turn his game around. That could be exactly what this team needs. We get rid of the true CANCER that is Kovalev and show the league we will stick by a player that plays hard and help him get back into form and Montreal will once again look like a good place to play.

I think Kovalev is movable, he's a veteran and let another team find out about his attitude.

Well we all know Samsonov never got a chance with Koivu but his constant bitchin to the media has to piss off Gainey.

OSM I would be upset if Carbonneau did not come back next year this team needs coaching and GM stability.

As it has been said, I'm pretty sure BG will try to trade him for a bottom pick to a team who needs to bolster its offense like Chicago, Philly or Washington. I think most GM believe that sammy can still be a solid offensive contributor, but his market value is extremely low.

As bad as Samsonov's been this year, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get 20 goals next year, if not 30, and I think a lot of GMs feel the same way. He just isn't welcome here. I think he's tradeable in August for an 8th rounder and worth taking a chance on for somebody else.

And while he may not have been given the team context chances he needed in Montreal, he certainly has been given multiple chances to repair his sins against the team, and repeated them. His behaviour in tough times means he has to go.

As for Carbo, I've been a bit of a Carbo-hater this year too, and I don't think he's had a good year. But I think that Gainey will be keeping him on for a while, if only for this reason: Montreal has made a habit over the past decade of absorbing the lacklustre rookieness of coaches who subsequently have turned into winners: Vigneault, Therrien, Julien. Having Carbo suck for two seasons to have him become one of those experienced winner coaches - without the intermediary step of firing him - is an investment that Gainey is willing to make. If Gainey wants to manufacture his own Lindy Ruff or Barry Trotz, it's going to demand a lot of patience.

Carbo is learning some things, after all. Over the past two weeks or so, he's finally started showing some discipline in reacting to refs' calls; the result - the team finally develops a sense of personal responsibility, and the Habs take ONE penalty last night.

His strategy for choosing lines is finally showing some nuancing, too. It's pretty crazy right now - I think the metaphor of throwing all the forwards in a blender is a pretty accurate description of what he's been doing lately - but at least it shows some adaptation, which is a sign he's learning, however slowly.

Gainey is just willing to wait out the incompetence until it becomes the solid coaching that Gainey believes it can be.

Scenario one: Over the summer, Gainey gives Samsonov permission to seek a deal elsewhere, provided the terms are right. At this point, anything better than draft picks would be unlikely, but whatever.

Scenario two: Gainey tries to trade Samsonov over the summer. Failing to find an acceptable deal, Gainey, Carbonneau and Samsonov sit down and try to figure out if there's any way possible to salvage any kind of productivity out of this mess. If not, Sammy gets bought out.

Scenario three: Gainey tries to deal Samsonov, and is unsuccessful. Gainey, Carbonneau and Samsonov sit down and hammer out whatever differences exist, and Samsonov plays out the final year of his deal, with the hope that a productive year will lead to a trade during the season.

Scenario four: Gainey deals Samsonov during the summer, Samsonov plays like he has this year, Montreal wins their division next year, and Sammy says in an interview that it was a mistake asking for a trade out of Montreal. :P

Edited by RobRock

Sammy's turned out to be a real cancer to da team. Professionalism says they'll buy him out.. but i'd make him rot in da minors all of next year.

U dont shit where u eat.

To be fair, Samsonov only did to Carbonneau what Carbonneau has done to his players all season long: sending messages through the media. I'm not saying Sammy did a good thing, but Carbonneau only got what he deserved, speding the entire season blaming players publicly, including his goaltenders simply because they didn't perform miracles for a couple games after they save his "you know what" for the first half of the season.

Huet plays a couple of ordinary games, and he gets singled out by his coach on television... that just wasn't right.

To be fair, Samsonov only did to Carbonneau what Carbonneau has done to his players all season long: sending messages through the media. I'm not saying Sammy did a good thing, but Carbonneau only got what he deserved, speding the entire season blaming players publicly, including his goaltenders simply because they didn't perform miracles for a couple games after they save his "you know what" for the first half of the season.

Huet plays a couple of ordinary games, and he gets singled out by his coach on television... that just wasn't right.

yup I agree with you CC, Carbonneau will have to learn to shut up!!

'Samsonovgate' is now Carbonneau's fault? Maybe I've missed something living this far away? By all means - please correct me if I'm wrong! Living in the heartland of Leaf Nation it's awfully hard to follow all of the events going on in Montreal, so we miss some things that go on, but can someone please tell me who fired the first shot in this fiasco?

If memory serves me right though(I'm getting old remember) Samsonov was playing horribly pretty much since the start of this season. He never found his stride or his touch. Management was extremely patient with him before finally delegating to the 4th line in a practise? He reacted poorly, as did his agent over that and the first volley was fired through the media - by him, not the coach? Since that moment it has gone from bad to worse, with a few blips along the way?

Has Carbonneau made mistakes - yes. He's a rookie head coach in the highest pressure cooker in pro hockey.

One has to expect him to grow with the learning curve - happens to all new coach's. And mistakes are a part of that curve. But as for Samsonov's inept play this year - Samsonov himself has been nothing but responsible for that travesty. From day one he has not delivered the goods he was signed to produce.

Edited by beliveau1

'Samsonovgate' is now Carbonneau's fault? Maybe I've missed something living this far away? By all means - please correct me if I'm wrong! Living in the heartland of Leaf Nation it's awfully hard to follow all of the events going on in Montreal, so we miss some things that go on, but can someone please tell me who fired the first shot in this fiasco?

If memory serves me right though(I'm getting old remember) Samsonov was playing horribly pretty much since the start of this season. He never found his stride or his touch. Management was extremely patient with him before finally delegating to the 4th line in a practise? He reacted poorly, as did his agent over that and the first volley was fired through the media - by him, not the coach? Since that moment it has gone from bad to worse, with a few blips along the way?

Has Carbonneau made mistakes - yes. He's a rookie head coach in the highest pressure cooker in pro hockey.

One has to expect him to grow with the learning curve - happens to all new coach's. And mistakes are a part of that curve. But as for Samsonov's inept play this year - Samsonov himself has been nothing but responsible for that travesty. From day one he has not delivered the goods he was signed to produce.

ALL THE BITCHERS AND WHINERS WHO CLAIM TO BE HABS FANS SHOULD READ THIS MEMORISE AND HAVE TO PASS ATEST BEFORE THEY CAN WATCH ANOTHER GAME. EXACTLY RIGHT! :clap:

sorry about the caps I was emotional lol

Edited by habs rule