Preds moving North?

kenadian

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like they'll stay in Nashville for the time being but it's up to the fans. They're going to have to fill the building this season if the team's going to stay.

That's cool, but if the NHL wanted a franchise in Hamilton (which would flourish IMO), they would have expanded to meet the target by now. They obviously have better things to do, like managing lockouts :wacko: What's all this bailing on Nashville crap? Forsberg comes to town and it's hockey ticket money bonanza.. Nashville nor the NHL should abandon this market IMO.

Hamilton won't get the franchise because NBC matters, or didn't you know?

plus I think it would be an over load of canadian teams in the same conference. Winnipeg used to be in the Central in the West so Hamilton would take there spot.

If Winnipeg could have another franchise it hinges on their fans truly caring. Winnipeg has DIE HARD fans yes. However, the city needs the fringe fans to do it and at the end of the day...Winnipeg fringers don't

:?- :?- :?-

yeah I know. sucks.

But a

Saint Louis

Detroit

Hamilton

Columbus

Chicago

division would work well.

I also think that Hamilton would be great (as I live only 25mins away), but I don't think that a central division with only one canadian team would work. Other Canadian teams would like to see the Hamilton Team more often than just four times a year, but the Americans could care less about Hamilton.

Toronto - could you imagine the the rivalry between Toronto and Hamilton after 8 games in a season!

Hamilton

Buffalo

Detroit

Chicago

Bonus:: Toronto would probably be last in that division which would bring a smile to my face

The NHL will drag its feet on making a decision. but they better not veto the RIM purchase. They would be great Canadian Owners. But I agree; if nashville is to remain the fans must come out and support the team. If they don't then a move north would be best; but that should also have the same requirements. Tickets will need to be sold; buildings and facilities setup. I'm in favour of Hamilton too; but I'm not counting on it anytime soon.

On a side note. I'm sure the NHL has noticed the lack of attendance in Hamilton for the AHL run the Bull dogs are having. Drawing barely 2000 fans. a game. Hamilton will need to step it up and prove they can match fan support and provide first rate facilities.

Edited by Chips

Forsberg is a UFA, so his age is really not a Nashville consideration anymore.

I don't know what you mean by "never has worked," but it's a stretch any way you try to say it because Nasvhille is one of the only late-90s expansion teams that has met with a whole lot of success. They made the playoff a few years ago, they've proven they are willing to spend money to bring in big name talent, and are good at drafting and cultivating talent. If this club was located in Canada, this whole post would be an entirely different story. It looks like your (PTG's) loathing of U.S. and anything that happens near the South has blurred your vision a little more than usual on this one.

I also think that Hamilton would be great (as I live only 25mins away), but I don't think that a central division with only one canadian team would work. Other Canadian teams would like to see the Hamilton Team more often than just four times a year, but the Americans could care less about Hamilton.

Toronto - could you imagine the the rivalry between Toronto and Hamilton after 8 games in a season!

Hamilton

Buffalo

Detroit

Chicago

Bonus:: Toronto would probably be last in that division which would bring a smile to my face

You're out of your ever-loving mind if you think that Toronto and Montreal are ever gonna be in different divisions again. That's four sellout games a year for each team no matter where they are in the standings.

The NHL will drag its feet on making a decision. but they better not veto the RIM purchase. They would be great Canadian Owners. But I agree; if nashville is to remain the fans must come out and support the team. If they don't then a move north would be best; but that should also have the same requirements. Tickets will need to be sold; buildings and facilities setup. I'm in favour of Hamilton too; but I'm not counting on it anytime soon.

On a side note. I'm sure the NHL has noticed the lack of attendance in Hamilton for the AHL run the Bull dogs are having. Drawing barely 2000 fans. a game. Hamilton will need to step it up and prove they can match fan support and provide first rate facilities.

I think Balsillie is buying the team personally, not RIM. I don't even think the NHL allows corporate ownership anymore, aside from MLSE of course.

Pierre the Great...

Why do you have a picture of Anna Lindh?

he's into swedish chicks !!

can't say I blame him :D

Edited by marky_and_komi

The crap attendance at the Bulldogs' games is indeed worrying.

For those who read Craig Leopold's email and read the contract deal between the city of Nashville and the Preds, it sucks to see their despite all their best effort, fan support isn't the best but it does have the potential.

If Basille plans on moving the Preds to Canada, I hope he picks his spot wisely.

Wow, that's pathetic. Columbus' old ECHL team averaged twice that while they were here in the early to mid 90s. Heck, they set the minor league sellout streak record of 83 games, playing in a roughly 5,000 seat "arena."

The idea of the team moving to the Kitchener-Waterloo area seems absurd to me. I'm sure it's a nice place to live, and yes, the regions population is growing. But, it has ZERO marquee value. Can you imagine a game at Madison Square Garden between the Rangers and the K-W Whatevers, talk about bush league. It sounds lower than the AHL. I think owners from big time cities like Philly, NY, Boston, and even Montreal might have a problem with a team moving to what is basically a big "bedroom" community. Someone earlier posted a rant about how important an area K-W may be, I'm not disputing that, but perception from the rest of the continent is alot different.

The idea of the team moving to the Kitchener-Waterloo area seems absurd to me. I'm sure it's a nice place to live, and yes, the regions population is growing. But, it has ZERO marquee value. Can you imagine a game at Madison Square Garden between the Rangers and the K-W Whatevers, talk about bush league. It sounds lower than the AHL. I think owners from big time cities like Philly, NY, Boston, and even Montreal might have a problem with a team moving to what is basically a big "bedroom" community. Someone earlier posted a rant about how important an area K-W may be, I'm not disputing that, but perception from the rest of the continent is alot different.

As a resident of the K-W area... I completely agree. As was mentioned during the Pittsburgh drama, the league owners have to approve any relocation, and I really doubt they would give it a go-ahead when there's more well-known (and more heavily populated) cities available.

The only foundation (as far as I know) for the rumours of the team relocating to K-W seem to be that Jim Balsillie lives here: "I want a team in my back yard!" (stomps feet). As an astute businessman, he knows it doesn't matter where HE is, the team has to go where it will be successful. Although we have a decent and growing economy, I just don't think the corporate support will be at the levels necessary to support a team. I question the fan support, too. People say that although the region has a relatively small population, there are 1 million people (or whatever) within a 1 hour drive... trouble is, you can't count on significant numbers to drive to the games on a regular basis, especially early on (after the novelty wears off) when the team hasn't established a place in their hearts and minds. People would still rather go see the Leafs (for unknown reasons) who are also within an hours' drive for most of the 1 million.