Souray weighing contract offer from Habs

kaos

IF there is anything left of his respect for us in HAbstown he will at least sign in the WEST

and if he wants to make us proud he will come to gainey and sign for 3.5 mil a season that way BG can give him 5 or 6 years

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF there is anything left of his respect for us in HAbstown he will at least sign in the WEST

and if he wants to make us proud he will come to gainey and sign for 3.5 mil a season that way BG can give him 5 or 6 years

he WON'T take 3.5 Mil... and if the market is now a GM's Market not a players' Market because he waited too long and he has to take a big cut over the 5.5 BG offered him, he certainly won't come back here to do it; it would be too insulting for him.

he WON'T take 3.5 Mil... and if the market is now a GM's Market not a players' Market because he waited too long and he has to take a big cut over the 5.5 BG offered him, he certainly won't come back here to do it; it would be too insulting for him.

I could not agree more that it looks like he will have to take a pay cut. But then there are teams that made a fizzle instead of a splash and may pay Souray $6mill just to tell fans they got a top guy. :blink:

I beg to differ on the insulting to him, why? maybe u would be in his place...

So Souray thinking....Hmmmmmmmmm, I better sign in the West so the fans will still respect me? :puke:

I'm sure Bob's offer before July 1 was a fair one, and IF he really wanted to stay here would have signed.........

So Souray thinking....Hmmmmmmmmm, I better sign in the West so the fans will still respect me? :puke:

I'm sure Bob's offer before July 1 was a fair one, and IF he really wanted to stay here would have signed.........

Did he not get offered $5.5Mil per year on a 4 year contract?

Did he not get offered $5.5Mil per year on a 4 year contract?

Don't know....my response was to Souray having respect for us that he'll sign in the West........

As time goes by my hopes for Souray are increasing by the minute.

Im pretty sure he would have signed with a Californian team if he would have got the offer. The rumour that talked about him wishing to be closer to his daughter sounded true.

Now Im hoping Souray will sign with the Habs and the asking for a trade by the deadline or next silly season. And off course Tampa Bay or San Jose would be the trading partner...

I Say Good ridance. I liked Souray, it was a cool season with the new record what not and the allstar game, but come on he was minus 20 something, the guy could barely stop any forward, Spezza completely undressed him. I'd much rather Hamrlik who's a solid Dman. Let the forwards do the scoring we need defence who can play defence. Good bye souray and good luck

no, I wouldn't be insulted in his place, but then I wouldn't turn down 5.5 M /year for 4 years. What I meant was, Souray would really have to swallow his pride if he turned down a $5.5 M / year deal and then came back to the same team for $3.5 M. I just don't see him doing it. If he's gonna take a lower offer than what BG offered him, it won't be here bc a-that's like admitting you should have taken the first one, and b-the taxes will still take more off his salary here.

Ya, would be great to have Souray teamed up with Hammer on the 2nd pairing, just kinda dreamin since he still is not signed.

forget it, best to just move on and get over the idea of souray coming back to the habs. I like what gainey is doing so far

also, rumour is the devils are close to signing him. Saw it on Sports Centre (TSN) today, and read the same online in a NJ paper yesterday.

There's a NJ Andy Sutton rumour out there. It's possible Lou is shifting his attention to Sutton and Wilson in San Jose will get Souray....maybe

:popcorn:

no, I wouldn't be insulted in his place, but then I wouldn't turn down 5.5 M /year for 4 years. What I meant was, Souray would really have to swallow his pride if he turned down a $5.5 M / year deal and then came back to the same team for $3.5 M. I just don't see him doing it. If he's gonna take a lower offer than what BG offered him, it won't be here bc a-that's like admitting you should have taken the first one, and b-the taxes will still take more off his salary here.

indeed... the option left for him as we were talking (regarding that he had said previously he wantyed to saty in MYL and that 6 Mil was too much) at least he could be Habs pro enough not to sign in the East or I guess not in our division would be enough.. If he would take less than 5 mil and come back to Habs then he merits respect. IMO

Not necessarily though. What if he was just waiting to see how much Bob was committed to winning the Cup before signing? Sure, Souray could have easily said yes to the $5.5 M / year deal got 4 yrs = $22mil

However, have you considered what would have happened if Souray had said yes? Nothing!! :lol:

Bob's spending spree on a high profile UFA would have been done, and the Habs would not have improved. But that didnt happen, Bob had money to spend, and spent it on Hamrlik. Now Souray knows how much the Habs have improved, and its now known how much $ Bob has left. Souray can now take a back loaded contract (like Blue Jays Vernon Wells) which pays little in the 1st yr or 2 and pays huge in the last yrs. In the end, the $ total can be the same but probably a little less, and this way the Habs actually improved with the addition of Hamrlik. :D

Not necessarily though. What if he was just waiting to see how much Bob was committed to winning the Cup before signing? Sure, Souray could have easily said yes to the $5.5 M / year deal got 4 yrs = $22mil

However, have you considered what would have happened if Souray had said yes? Nothing!! :lol:

Bob's spending spree on a high profile UFA would have been done, and the Habs would not have improved. But that didnt happen, Bob had money to spend, and spent it on Hamrlik. Now Souray knows how much the Habs have improved, and its now known how much $ Bob has left. Souray can now take a back loaded contract (like Blue Jays Vernon Wells) which pays little in the 1st yr or 2 and pays huge in the last yrs. In the end, the $ total can be the same but probably a little less, and this way the Habs actually improved with the addition of Hamrlik. :D

I admire your sense of optimism... but I can't convince myself Souray was holding out to see who we would bring back bc the flip side there is that there's less money spent on him.

Also, in terms of the backloaded contract idea, Markov and Hammer are both signed for 4 years to hefty contracts, so unless Souray's contract is longer than that, we can't afford to pay loads in the last few years, and IF it's longer than that, it takes him past 35 where we can buy him out and not count against the cap (if I understand correclty), so he'd probably want to have the money NOW when we couldn't write if off, not later... It woudn't makes sense for us to sign him to more than 4 years bc his play would almost definitley decline, and it wouldn't make sense for him, with your set up, to sign for the short term...

Basically, I don't see it happening.

Honestly guys, does anyone see Souray scoring more than 15 next year? I don't know if anyone noticed, but when teams played really aggressively on the PK, they were able to shut him down. This isn't to say that I don't think he can be a factor on the powerplay. With a huge contract that he's going to get elsewhere, I don't think he can handle the expectations. Also, last year was the first he wasn't injured. Have fun with a -22!

Edited by alexstream

What is the holdup? I think it's this:

1) 6 million is probably not too much for interested GM's

2) a 5 to 7 year contract is not too much for interested GM's

3) a NTC is not too much for interested GM's

4) ALL OF THE ABOVE IS too much for interested GM's

:wacko:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

What is the holdup? I think it's this:

1) 6 million is probably not too much for interested GM's

2) a 5 to 7 year contract is not too much for interested GM's

3) a NTC is not too much for interested GM's

4) ALL OF THE ABOVE IS too much for interested GM's

:wacko:

is he askign for an NTC? I haven't heard any rumours to that effect...

is he askign for an NTC? I haven't heard any rumours to that effect...

Blame Ek, so it may be false but it wouldn't surprise me if true

anyone see sportsnet trade deadline with eklund? what a wacko

If Souray are seeking to play with a california team then he should want the no-trade clause.

Come on, Sheldon, sign here and stay for another year and then Gainey promise that he'll trade you to San Jose for Marleau!