The Nashville Situation

TheBigRedC

I must have missed it, because I cannot believe no one has posted this yet. It looks somewhat certain that the Nashville Predators will be coming to Hamilton! Already, they are my 2nd favorite team. Finally, a team I can rally around in Ontario to beat the Leafs! Only problem, what happens to the Calder Champion Bulldogs?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210671&hubname=

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true, but I am going to listen and hope. As someone from Ontario, I am sick of these stupid Leafs. It's all you ever hear about. While I don't think it will do alot, having another team here will definitely be a plus. Today, my friend and I argued for a good 30 minutes about division alignment. If it happens, I could see Hamilton in the North East, Boston in the Atlantic, then Philly in the South East, then Atlanta moved into the West. Ideas?

Basille is making so much headlines but I don't think he realized that he doesn't OFFICIALLY own the Preds yet. The NHL have to approve the sell first.

But why would the NHL veto to sail? Balsillie made a seemingly ludicrous offer and it seems like they'd be just as ludicrous turn it down.

I think it would be stupid to move Nashville. Only teams I think should possibly move are Phoenix or Florida. Florida doesn't need two teams and Phoenix is in the stinking desert. I also think Hamilton is a dumb choice. The Bulldogs barely averaged 3,000 a game until the finals.

I think it would be stupid to move Nashville. Only teams I think should possibly move are Phoenix or Florida. Florida doesn't need two teams and Phoenix is in the stinking desert. I also think Hamilton is a dumb choice. The Bulldogs barely averaged 3,000 a game until the finals.

To be fair though, it's the AHL. Quite a few CHL teams average more fans then most AHL locations. The fact of the matter is, it's the AHL. Most people just don't care.

I watched a game in Nashville this year and I thought the crowd was pretty impressive (it was cheap beer night) and the fans were pretty loud.

Lots of people showed up on cheap beer night and people were very loud on cheap beer night. What are the chances!

But why would the NHL veto to sail? Balsillie made a seemingly ludicrous offer and it seems like they'd be just as ludicrous turn it down.

Well 2 main reasons.

#1 - Bettman is an arrogant asshole he won't admit when he's wrong. Moving the Preds out of Nashville to Canada will only show that he was wrong about his random expansions in the South where hockey isn't a priority.

#2 - If the team is sold to Basille and he intends to move it to Hamilton, the Leafs and Sens owners (not sure about the Sens) have a right to veto or get compensation from the league since the Hamilton team would invade their territorial market.

Bettman is an arrogant asshole he won't admit when he's wrong. Moving the Preds out of Nashville to Canada will only show that he was wrong about his random expansions in the South where hockey isn't a priority.

And is Nashville a struggling franchise? Not that I'm aware of.

Well 2 main reasons.

#1 - Bettman is an arrogant asshole he won't admit when he's wrong. Moving the Preds out of Nashville to Canada will only show that he was wrong about his random expansions in the South where hockey isn't a priority.

#2 - If the team is sold to Basille and he intends to move it to Hamilton, the Leafs and Sens owners (not sure about the Sens) have a right to veto or get compensation from the league since the Hamilton team would invade their territorial market.

They'd be in the Western Conference. How would that be 'invading'? seriously.

And is Nashville a struggling franchise? Not that I'm aware of.

well when you can't sell out your arena which is the number 1 gauge in the NHL since the tv support for any team in the US just isn't there. You've got problems

Nashville is a struggling franchise financially but in terms of fan support, it has it and there's potential in the city.

This year will be a good test for Nashville financially since they are going to get their revenue sharing funds cut from them if I remember right.

If one of the better franchises with financial troubles evades to Canada, who knows what tricks Bettman will pull out to keep the struggling teams in their current places rather than deserving hockey markets (no, I'm not saying all to Canada. Some US markets have potential!).

I must have missed it, because I cannot believe no one has posted this yet. It looks somewhat certain that the Nashville Predators will be coming to Hamilton! Already, they are my 2nd favorite team. Finally, a team I can rally around in Ontario to beat the Leafs! Only problem, what happens to the Calder Champion Bulldogs?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210671&hubname=

yeah if they move to hamilton .. what happens to the bulldogs.. they get competition... and do the habs want to keep their farm team there? do the bulldogs get compensation too?

it might be time to look for another team to brood our farm..

They would invade their market (a.k.a. fans). Here's a good example, I don't think MLSE would like the idea of the Preds going to Hamilton, imagine how many current Leaf fans would ditch the blue and white for Preds colors? More than a handful is a given based on Toronto's lack of current playoff appearances and lack quality on of their on-ice product.

Even if the Preds manage to lose all their UFAs, they still got Vokoun, Suter, Weber, Zidlicky, Tootoo, Sullivan, Arnott, Radulov, Dumont, Erat and not to mention they also got some promising prospects in their depth pool.

Yup, can't imagine why anyone would not want to cheer for them instead of Toronto.

This is all moot, pending the approval of the sale by the NHL. While it doesn't make sense to you or me to deny the sale, Bettman has been fairly clear that he is perfectly content not to have any teams change locations. What this means is that the purchase of a franchise will be conditional upon the team not moving (a la the Pittsburgh Penguins before the arena deal). The problem of being in Ontario with the Leafs and Senators is secondary, but also a major hurdle to Hamilton landing an NHL franchise.

To those who are trying to find an alternative team to root for in Ontario...........You shouldn't have to look much further than....um......OTTAWA! It's amazing to me that a few people want an alternative team to the Leafs when there already is one, and they're the Eastern Conference Champs. That's like somebody wishing there was another team in Los Angeles to take some attention away from the Kings. (Note to Canadians: Anaheim is basically in Los Angeles. ;) )

Finally, this won't be a popular suggestion in Habsworld, but the Leafs (and their popularity) aren't going anywhere. It doesn't matter if there are 20 other teams in Ontario, the die-hard Leafs fans are just as enthusiastic as you all are about the blue, white and red. Moreover, the BBC absolutely loves the leafs. It's like the Yankees and Patriots on ESPN.

I just don't see the team moving to Ontario....the Media is really hyping it up i've noticed but Nashville seems to be one of the only teams in the south that is any kind of success.

And to Hamilton...I agree with Mills and how diehard the Leafs fans are etc.

They would invade their market (a.k.a. fans). Here's a good example, I don't think MLSE would like the idea of the Preds going to Hamilton, imagine how many current Leaf fans would ditch the blue and white for Preds colors? More than a handful is a given based on Toronto's lack of current playoff appearances and lack quality on of their on-ice product.

Even if the Preds manage to lose all their UFAs, they still got Vokoun, Suter, Weber, Zidlicky, Tootoo, Sullivan, Arnott, Radulov, Dumont, Erat and not to mention they also got some promising prospects in their depth pool.

Yup, can't imagine why anyone would not want to cheer for them instead of Toronto.

And how many people live in the GTA again? Last time I checked Air Canada wasn't a million seat arena.

This is all moot, pending the approval of the sale by the NHL. While it doesn't make sense to you or me to deny the sale, Bettman has been fairly clear that he is perfectly content not to have any teams change locations. What this means is that the purchase of a franchise will be conditional upon the team not moving (a la the Pittsburgh Penguins before the arena deal). The problem of being in Ontario with the Leafs and Senators is secondary, but also a major hurdle to Hamilton landing an NHL franchise.

To those who are trying to find an alternative team to root for in Ontario...........You shouldn't have to look much further than....um......OTTAWA! It's amazing to me that a few people want an alternative team to the Leafs when there already is one, and they're the Eastern Conference Champs. That's like somebody wishing there was another team in Los Angeles to take some attention away from the Kings. (Note to Canadians: Anaheim is basically in Los Angeles. ;) )

Finally, this won't be a popular suggestion in Habsworld, but the Leafs (and their popularity) aren't going anywhere. It doesn't matter if there are 20 other teams in Ontario, the die-hard Leafs fans are just as enthusiastic as you all are about the blue, white and red. Moreover, the BBC absolutely loves the leafs. It's like the Yankees and Patriots on ESPN.

Ottawa is a curse word in Canada. More so then D.C. is. After Toronto the next hated place is Ottawa then Alberta.

And how many people live in the GTA again? Last time I checked Air Canada wasn't a million seat arena.

Ottawa is a curse word in Canada. More so then D.C. is. After Toronto the next hated place is Ottawa then Alberta.

It's not just in terms of ticket sales, but also merchandise and "LeafsTV."

Oh really? I'll have to hurl that at someone the next time I get pissed off. I can see it already. :lol:

They would move to the east and there would be some re arrangement of the divisions and conferences.

It doesn't matter how many people live there. The Leafs don't only make money by selling out the ACC, there's merchandize and TV subscriptions and what not. Just imagining the possibility of people not buying Leafs tickets (ok that one isn't plausible) or people from Hamilton and other Leafs fans who convert to Preds fan (same thing for Sens fans) not buying products from current teams means dollars and cents those NHL owners in that area don't get. It's only normal MLSE doesn't want a team in Hamilton, less money for the Leafs means less money in the teacher's pension funds (I don't think Ottawa would be much concerned here, they do have a successful team compared to the Leafs).

It don't matter how die-hard the Leaf fans are. Mediocrity always has a limit to the fans and it's only a matter of time for those fans to like the idea of a team coming to Hamilton and cheering for them. I don't see those same fans cheering for the Sens because it would be cheering for their provincial rival. If you go up in Quebec, you won't find many Habs fans. They're still all bitter about losing the Nordiques and cheering the Habs would be blasphemy.

It's not a question of healthy competition between inner province teams, it about protecting their rights and income. This is exactly the same situation when the Expos went to Washington, the Orioles owner was pissed off because last thing he needed was Orioles fans going to cheer for the Nationals. MLB was so hooked on the idea of a team in the nation's capital that they just paid the Orioles owner compensation for the territorial invasion. Same scenario if the Preds move to Hamilton, the Leafs will want some compensation even if both areas can sustain more hockey teams that make a solid profit.

I'd say Quebec is more hated than Alberta across the country.

Don't know if this video link still works, but hey... it's relevant:

http://stage6.divx.com/user/kav2001c/video...Saskatoon-Blues

If you get too ahead of yourself, the NHL Board of Governors will block you.

I've always seen the Leafs as hockey's version of the Cubs. Last time I checked the Cubs stink yet the Cubs have a huge fan base throughout the country and merchandise for the Cubs is still freaking huge.

Just because a team will move to Hamilton doesn't mean the demise of the Leafs.

The Leafs will still get first billing on CBC, they'll still have millions of fans across the country. The Leafs should not be worried.

For example, I know somebody from Northern BC, guess what? A diehard Leafs fan. Leaf fans are everywhere, they will continue to buy and buy stuff in blue and white.

And I don't think somebody south of the border would buy Hamilton gear while its very common in my neck of the woods to see a Maple Leafs t-shirt.

For the Maple Leafs to cry foul over this is crazy, they must not realize what kind of merchandise power and influence they have outside of the GTA.

Same goes for the Canadiens.

You won't believe how many Canadiens fans I saw in St. Louis at the Blues-Habs game that followed the team religiously, that were from St Louis and were never born in Montreal or grow up in New England or Canada for that matter.

I seriously can't believe the outcry over this.

The Leafs are in a special catagorey in North American sports

The others are

Montreal Canadiens

New York Rangers

New York Yankees

LA Dodgers

Boston Red Sox

Washington Redskins

Dallas Cowboys

Chicago Cubs

LA Lakers

Guess what? You can go anywhere on this continent and the world and people know these teams. No matter if they're a fan or not. They know the Maple Leafs, Habs, Cowboys, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox

I just don't see the team moving to Ontario....the Media is really hyping it up i've noticed but Nashville seems to be one of the only teams in the south that is any kind of success.

And to Hamilton...I agree with Mills and how diehard the Leafs fans are etc.

Tampa seems to be doing very well, A lot better than Nashville. TB is 3rd in the league in attendance

Also Pheonix and Florida fill they're areans to a higher capacity than Boston and Chicago so maybe we should move them instead ? ( yes i'm being sarcastic ) :P

07 Attendance Figures

Tampa seems to be doing very well, A lot better than Nashville. TB is 3rd in the league in attendance

Also Pheonix and Florida fill they're areans to a higher capacity than Boston and Chicago so maybe we should move them instead ? ( yes i'm being sarcastic ) :P

07 Attendance Figures

Have you ever been to a game there?

I have seen about 5 or 6

Jsut last year I went with my dad showed up about 15 minutes before the game bought 2 seats from a scalper ( 7 rows up on the Habs shoot twice side) face value was 100$ each ticet we paid 50$ for the pair.

Very few of the people at the game knew anything about hockey and everyone we asked got given tickets from a friend or work. It is a joke there. The Bolts must have some good support from local business or that guy who owns them ( also owns the Pistons) is just filthy rich.

That's typical Tampa/St. Pete sports culture. They're all snow birds in Florida and young kids in Florida parents come from other parts of the country. Therefore they don't grow up being local sports fans. The only support florida residents give to a team professionally is the Dolphins. Other then that its only the college teams (F State, Florida, Miami).

Floridians don't show up for anything other then NFL and even that is shoddy.