Here Comes Valentenko

Makh2o

He will have to work is way up and in three years will go back in Russia because defensemen

with no points on the scoresheets don't get money.

Unless he blossoms and develops some offense i don't see why we would go nuts over this.

But hey the more good prospects we will have in Hamilton the faster we will see some of them in Montreal.

He will do well in Hamilton...the biggest worry with him was that the Russian league rules were stunting his physical play. Can't wait to see how he does with the defending champs next year!

Are you guys talking about Emelin or Valentenko. I know Emelin is a great prospect in the mold of Kaspiritis but i haven't heard much of Valentenko. Someone mentioned he was a good 2 way player but is he really that good of a prospect?

Thanks for the info.

I thought the Valentenko signing was already confirmed. We'll still have to wait atleast one more season for him. Emelin is closer and I think is even NHL ready.

Are you guys talking about Emelin or Valentenko. I know Emelin is a great prospect in the mold of Kaspiritis but i haven't heard much of Valentenko. Someone mentioned he was a good 2 way player but is he really that good of a prospect?

Thanks for the info.

Quote 1:

"Ht: 6’2, Wt: 202

Timmins compared the big Russian blueliner to another player in the organization, Alexei Emelin. “He’s a defensive defenseman with a big, heavy shot who plays physical,” Timmins explained.

The young Russian caught Timmins’ eye during his participation in a Russian touring that played against CHL All-Stars. “After that we sent some scouts out to watch him – the rink where they went to see him was nasty cold – probably the coldest, most unpleasant place they’ve ever seen.” "

Quote 2:

"Some scouts had him rated at the best (1987)-born defenceman in Europe," Canadiens director of player personnel Trevor Timmins said."

Quote 3:

"Our Russian scout was urging me to pick him in the second round," Timmins said. "He has good size (6-foot-2 and 202 pounds) and he played on the Russian junior team, which toured Canada last fall. I saw him play five times and he could be the sleeper in this draft."

Timmins said the Canadiens will explore the possibility of bringing Valentenko to Canada this fall to play major junior hockey.

Quote 4:

Valentenko, conversely, had a breakthrough year. After a stellar performance at the World Junior Championships where he was the tournament's top defenseman and displayed some offensive upside in leading the Russian squad to silver, he played a solid role with Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik squad. Although only accounting for two assists in 50 games, he played a solid overall defensive game.

In another article I read Timmins explains how it's important to get Emelin and Valentenko over quickly because of the style they play. He uses Emelin as an example, saying that each time he gets penalties, the coaches yell at him and that he becomes more hesitant to hit. He also mentions the Kostitsyn brothers, saying how Sergei is developing quicker than Andrei because he came over quicker.

Obviously this is good news, but this was always expected. An Emelin signing is bigger, if only because it's a more difficult negotiation, but also because he may provide immediate dividends to our club. Valentenko is 1-2 years away.

I hope CJAD didn't get the Pavel signing confused with Alexei's and got it backwards :(

No way they would have done that.

Oh and great news, him and Carle will look nice in Hamilton next season.

Edited by JMMR

our Defense that was our weakest position a few couple of years ago will be our force for years to come.

now get alexei signed !!

our Defense that was our weakest position a few couple of years ago will be our force for years to come.

now get alexei signed !!

Yeah if we can add 1 or 2 more D prospects this draft we'll be rock solid. The main need is a high potential forward and now I'm hoping for a Mayorov of Couture with the first pick.

We may be getting good defencemen...but I still think we need a coach specifically for the defence. It is obvious that whoever is working with the D hasn't got a clue about how to create good exit strategies for the defence!