THN 07-08 Season Projections

lazy26

The problem with these forecasters is the same problem that afflicts ALL sports media (and to lesser degree all media, period): a total lack of accountability. You can bet THN forecasters will crow about the handful of predictions they got right, but say scarecly a peep about the far larger number they got wrong - just as Jerk Todd will contradict himself 56493 times per season.

Which is why I prefer to read a magazine that tells me who they think are ready to make the leap. Projecting how many points that player will score is ridiculous. How could somebody last year project Latendresse's numbers? Did they know he was going to spend 15 games on the 1st line? Or Higgins the year before when he spent the last 2 months on the 1st line. Or Ryder's rookie year where he was elevated to the first line.

THey have zero accountablilty because the experts probably don't make these projections. It is more than likely some intern. The top guys at THN are not going to be spending their time crunching meaningless numbers.

And you are right. I have never heard THN mention the fact that they called Buffalo/Carolina to be the 2 worst teams in the East in 2005/06. Even though Buffalo/Carolina were in the Eastern Conference Finals.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow they forgot Patrice's 28 goals and 63 assists. Incompetent.

lol

Smolinski always has around that amount of points in his season I wouldn't be surprise he get that score. Seems a bit low on Kostitsyn especially the 15 assist part, he should be getting way more. And I wouldn't be surprise in Lahti, you guys never saw him play how can you be sos sure he won't get 9 goals.

Koivu at 70 points? Think again...im thinking 82-85 points for him

Ryder will have a 40 goal season...and maybe a 110 goal season if every game was against the leafs LOL

Higgins will have a 62 point season

Kovalev will have a 70 point season (if he plays on first line with first PP unit), if not about 55 points

Pleks will have another good season around high 40's low 50's

Gui will have around the same season he did last year

Kostitsyn will be the person to drop mouths next season...I can see him notching a 50 point season

As for Smolinski...those projected numbers might be dead on

If Huet stays healthy, I can see him getting 30-32 wins, with Halak getting 7 or 8.

Standing wise, Im guessing we end up in 6th place, but no higher...the East is going to be tight this year

Its going to be more like the NFL these days...you'll never know who beats who on any given night

Last year I made fun of The Score magazine and their predictions. This year I'll wait and see who is the farthest from the truth and make fun of them as well.

It's all in fun anyway, but some of these guys really don't put an effort into it anymore..

Here are the final standing in the NHL for the upcoming season from McKeens and The Hockey News

Eastern Conference

McKeen's Hockey

1 Pittsburgh*

2 Ottawa*

3 N.Y. Rangers

4 Buffalo

5 New Jersey

6 Toronto

7 Carolina*

8 Montreal

9 Tampa Bay

10 Philadelphia (tie)

11 Florida (tie)

12 Washington

13 Boston

14 Atlanta

15 N.Y. Islanders

The Hockey News

1 Ottawa*

2 N.Y. Rangers*

3 Pittsburgh

4 Buffalo

5 Carolina *

6 Tampa Bay

7 New Jersey

8 Atlanta

9 Philadelphia

10 Washington

11 Toronto

12 Florida

13 Montreal

14 N.Y.Islanders

15 Boston

Western Conference

McKeen's Hockey

1 Detroit*

2 Colorado*

3 Dallas*

4 Anaheim (tie)

5 Vancouver (tie)

6 San Jose

7 Calgary

8 Minnesota

9 Los Angeles

10 St. Louis

11 Nashville

12 Chicago

13 Edmonton

14 Columbus

15 Phoenix

The Hockey News

1 Detroit*

2 Anaheim*

3 Calgary*

4 San Jose

5 Minnesota

6 Vancouver

7 Nashville

8 Colorado

9 St. Louis

10 Chicago

11 Dallas

12 Los Angeles

13 Edmonton

14 Columbus

15 Phoenix

Does anyone have The Score's version yet?

I know they had Montreal at 5th in the division (dead last)

Edited by Habitforming

If they want to make standings they should consider the divisons.

So in both of their standings they're should be a south eastern team in one of the top three spot.

It is very tough to foresee what is going to happen but in pure logic.

How can the Devils make the playoffs for sure without Rafalski and Gomez, Vishnevski and Zubrus to replace them ??

McKeen rule out both Lighting and Flyers of playoffs??

Hockey News gives Montreal 13th spot after Florida, Toronto and Washington. It would have been a safer place for them

to place Montreal 10 ahead of them because at the end of the years they will still look like fools.

Between 5 and 11 any team can eitther make it or not make it, but come on 13th spot for Habs !!! Wake up THN.

If they want to make standings they should consider the divisons.

So in both of their standings they're should be a south eastern team in one of the top three spot.

They just listed them by points for the sake of a more precise prediction (laughable huh?)

The teams marked with an asterisk are the top 3 teams from each division.

Who did Carolina add to all of a sudden win their division?

They just listed them by points for the sake of a more precise prediction (laughable huh?)

The teams marked with an asterisk are the top 3 teams from each division.

Who did Carolina add to all of a sudden win their division?

I guess they're projecting a better year from Ward. Really, that might be all that's needed to do it, it's not like Atlanta was way better than everyone else last year... I think they only had a 9 point lead on Carolina, who finished in 11th.

13th might be a tad low for the Habs, I think this team still has a +/- 5 point range from 90 points (so 85-95).

With today's schedule, you have to put 2 teams from each division in the post-season. There are just too many inter-division points that it seems next to impossible for this not to occur. So the worst prediction is McKeen's saying that only 1 team from the Central will make the playoffs.

Here's a tip on predictions... list them by division first. Don't compare teams in different divisions until you've done that first.

The St-Louis Blues will make the playoffs. You heard it here first.

Andy Murray is a great coach. It is to bad he left the Montreal organization.

Between 5 and 11 any team can eitther make it or not make it, but come on 13th spot for Habs !!! Wake up THN.

I totally agree with the hockey news on the predictions.

whats makes us a playoff team ??

we better ourselves from last season?? mmm...brisebois, kostopoulos smolinski hamrlik better then johnson bonk and souray ?? don't think so. maybe it's even but not better.

kovalev will still chew major ice time and still suckmost of the season. hopefully carbonneau wont be as patient as lats year with him.

some of you guys think that guys like kostitsyn lahti and his canadian coucin latendresse will have breathrough seasons. one question: where do they all fit ??? theres only one spot on the second line open for 3 guys, that means that 2 guys will have at best 3rd line duty.

is it realistic that koivu spends a second injury free season ?? will he whine and bitch like he and his buddies did last year when thing started to get tough. he's the freaking captain of this team and that's all he showed for ?? leadership will be a real issue this year.

the only upgrade I really see is goaltending: halak will be more reliable then aebischer and if huet get back to his allstar form, MAYBE we have a chance.

are the canadiens better in nets then most of our conference ?? No. miller, emery, vokoun, lehtonen, brodeur, fleury, lundqvist...

looking at teams:

ottawa should win conference

rangers: should be ok to make the playoffs

tampa bay: Denis can't be as bad as last year.

pittsburgh: should challenge for 1st place in atlantic

buffalo will still alright, should make the playoffs.

new jerzey: never rule out a team with brodeur in nets

toronto:( hurts to put them ahead) should gain confidence from solid, yet not spectacular, goaltender pair and sundin finally has someone to play with.

Philly: great offensive core, biron the solution, though???

Atlanta: lethonen will have to be a major factor to team success.

Florida: jokinen, horton, bouwmeester, vokoun. everything will have to click to make a push. yet they finished only 4 points behind mtl last season.

Carolina: ward won't be as bad as last year. they have staal..we dont.

montreal: need the first line to act like a 1st line.

Boston: better than last year with better coach and fernandez.

there you have it. I tried to be as realistic as possible. of course my heart wants montreal to win the cup but It will not happen.

I say give the team to the young guys and try to get as much as possible in return of the vets.

So depressing :(

Makes me not even wanna watch the season!

I see it as one step back to take 2 steps ahead.

At least Smoke is an American. Some have complained about too many Europeans on our team and/or Russians but Smoke brings Red, White and Blue American courage

:clap:

too bad He wasn't a canadiens earlier.

are you implying that europeans do have courage ??

what about koivu ??

too bad He wasn't a canadiens earlier.

are you implying that europeans do have courage ??

what about koivu ??

No, I was saying that in the heart department that: Smoke > Bonk.

KOIVU DEFINES KOURAGE :hlogo:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

No, I was saying that in the heart department that: Smoke > Bonk.

KOIVU DEFINES KOURAGE :hlogo:

I agree totally

finally a right handed centerman

So depressing :(

Makes me not even wanna watch the season!

In the 'Predict the Season to Be' thread, almost 90% of people on this board indicated that they expect the Habs to be at least slightly better than last year, which would put them in 90-95 point range and a likely playoff berth. As I remarked at the time, the so-called 'experts' would likely predict the Habs to stink out the joint. So, here we are.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if a number of our young players improve their game to a meaningful degree, OR if any one of our young players breaks out to become a star, all these so-called 'experts' will be choking on their own feet. And it has to happen sooner or later. So, courage, mes amis! We're developing from within with blue chip prospects, several of which are on the cusp of blossoming...but no 'professional forecaster' is going to take a chance by including that in their calculations. Just ignore them.

...but no 'professional forecaster' is going to take a chance by including that in their calculations. Just ignore them.

Everyone take heed of George Vezina and what he says here. Most of our detractors and opponents (typically those who pay little attention to us) seem to be caught in a time warp. It's almost as if, "The Canadiens have been stinking for 14 years. Ever since they lost Roy...etc." and they seem to automatically assume that this is the new Canadiens legacy. Meaning; they have become so used to it that they can't see past the fact that the team has changed. Sort of like the "frog in the well". They "EXPECT" Montreal to lose. As a result the ordinary response is to low ball our players. They may be correct on their "glass half empty" analysis but every team has positives regardless of how bad they are. In our case it's like the "glass half full" ideas go out the window in most cases. This is nothing new. Time after time on TSN, The Score and on and on you always hear, "The problem with the Montreal Canadiens..."

Kypreos and Healy can go suck a.... :angry:

Everyone take heed of George Vezina and what he says here. Most of our detractors and opponents (typically those who pay little attention to us) seem to be caught in a time warp. It's almost as if, "The Canadiens have been stinking for 14 years. Ever since they lost Roy...etc." and they seem to automatically assume that this is the new Canadiens legacy. Meaning; they have become so used to it that they can't see past the fact that the team has changed. Sort of like the "frog in the well". They "EXPECT" Montreal to lose. As a result the ordinary response is to low ball our players. They may be correct on their "glass half empty" analysis but every team has positives regardless of how bad they are. In our case it's like the "glass half full" ideas go out the window in most cases. This is nothing new. Time after time on TSN, The Score and on and on you always hear, "The problem with the Montreal Canadiens..."

Kypreos and Healy can go suck a.... :angry:

Part of me gets irritated with the lack of respect. But what should we expect?

The Habs have essentially underachieved for most of the last 10 years. Other than Theo dragging us in in 2002 and the late run in 2006 the Habs have been the model of inconsistency. They are going to have to prove that the youth is elite and not just overhyped.The youth is about to pay dividends.

On the bright side, we get to enjoy all the reporters gushing about the surprise Canadiens when they finally breakthrough. But the media is just like us. Waiting for the losing streak.

They are going to have to earn the respect

Here are LAST year's Hockey News Predictions: Actual postion in brackets.

Eastern Conference

1. Carolina (11)

2. Ottawa (4)

3. NY Rangers (6)

4. New Jersey (2)

5. Buffalo (1)

6. Philadelphia (15th and last overall)

7. Montreal (10)

8. Atlanta (3)

9. Tampa Bay (7)

10. Toronto (9)

11. Florida (12)

12. Boston (13)

13. Pittsburgh (5)

14. NY Islanders (8)

15. Washington (14)

Western Conference

1. Anaheim (2)

2. Nashville (4)

3. Calgary (8)

4. San Jose (5)

5. Dallas (6)

6. Detroit (1)

7. Minnesota (7)

8. Columbus (11)

9. Phoenix (15)

10. Los Angeles (10)

11. Vancouver (3)

12. Edmonton (12)

13. Colorado (9)

14. Chicago (13)

15. St. Louis (10)

Edited by Habitforming

I totally agree with the hockey news on the predictions.

whats makes us a playoff team ??

we better ourselves from last season?? mmm...brisebois, kostopoulos smolinski hamrlik better then johnson bonk and souray ?? don't think so. maybe it's even but not better.

kovalev will still chew major ice time and still suckmost of the season. hopefully carbonneau wont be as patient as lats year with him.

some of you guys think that guys like kostitsyn lahti and his canadian coucin latendresse will have breathrough seasons. one question: where do they all fit ??? theres only one spot on the second line open for 3 guys, that means that 2 guys will have at best 3rd line duty.

is it realistic that koivu spends a second injury free season ?? will he whine and bitch like he and his buddies did last year when thing started to get tough. he's the freaking captain of this team and that's all he showed for ?? leadership will be a real issue this year.

the only upgrade I really see is goaltending: halak will be more reliable then aebischer and if huet get back to his allstar form, MAYBE we have a chance.

are the canadiens better in nets then most of our conference ?? No. miller, emery, vokoun, lehtonen, brodeur, fleury, lundqvist...

looking at teams:

ottawa should win conference

rangers: should be ok to make the playoffs

tampa bay: Denis can't be as bad as last year.

pittsburgh: should challenge for 1st place in atlantic

buffalo will still alright, should make the playoffs.

new jerzey: never rule out a team with brodeur in nets

toronto:( hurts to put them ahead) should gain confidence from solid, yet not spectacular, goaltender pair and sundin finally has someone to play with.

Philly: great offensive core, biron the solution, though???

Atlanta: lethonen will have to be a major factor to team success.

Florida: jokinen, horton, bouwmeester, vokoun. everything will have to click to make a push. yet they finished only 4 points behind mtl last season.

Carolina: ward won't be as bad as last year. they have staal..we dont.

montreal: need the first line to act like a 1st line.

Boston: better than last year with better coach and fernandez.

there you have it. I tried to be as realistic as possible. of course my heart wants montreal to win the cup but It will not happen.

I say give the team to the young guys and try to get as much as possible in return of the vets.

Buffalo and New-Jersey both had horrible off season. Buffalo lost it's two captain and New-Jersey lost Gomez and Rafalski.

Toronto has what more Blake ?? Islanders never considered to take him back, he is a trouble maker so is Bell who got sentenced

to six month jail. Toskala ? better than Huet don't think so.

Tampa, Carolina, Florida and Atlanta can't all finish ahead of Montreal, they are playinghalf of their points against each other.

The main goal is to win the division games and except from Ottawa we have pretty good darn chances to win most of these games.

Habs will make the playoffs and Price will be in net for the first playoff game.

The Sabres and Devils will be better then the Habs, regardless of there off season. The reason is simple, they want to win and they play hard every night. The Leafs are also better then the habs, in case you forgot they knocked the Habs out last year. They have improved.

Can the habs make the playoffs? Possibly, i have said it for years but until the work ethic, physical play and all the "locker room" behind the scenes problems stop, the will continue to be mediocre.

I definitely like BG has done and is doing, I like Carbo, i do think they need to add a real D coach. Unfortunately i see another year or 2 before they are a solid playoff team.

The Sabres and Devils will be better then the Habs, regardless of there off season. The reason is simple, they want to win and they play hard every night. The Leafs are also better then the habs, in case you forgot they knocked the Habs out last year. They have improved.

Can the habs make the playoffs? Possibly, i have said it for years but until the work ethic, physical play and all the "locker room" behind the scenes problems stop, the will continue to be mediocre.

I definitely like BG has done and is doing, I like Carbo, i do think they need to add a real D coach. Unfortunately i see another year or 2 before they are a solid playoff team.

Your reasoning is laughable at best.

The Sabres and Devils had the cores of their teams ripped out and you think that turns into determination and work ethic from the players?

As for the Leafs "they knocked the habs out" is true but they did it with 2 less wins, our #1 down with injuries for a long stretch and 9 of the Canadiens on IV's for a month...not gonna happen twice.

Are you even a fan?