Everything P.K. Subban

JMMR

No need to wonder.

I asked him what he thinks of being converted into a forward because of his offensive game and the Canadiens depth at D, and he said "If that's where they want me and it helps the team win, I'm all for it"

With both Dandy and Streit both D/F on occasion, I can see Montreal experimenting with this with someone in the future. I love this guys attitude!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's some of the best skating I've ever seen - and from an 18 year old! He really is a short-term project, in my eyes. He may not be ready this season, but I think he will be in a year or two.

Unless he is converted to a forward he is a long term project.

He has gone through 2 pairs of skates in this camp though. :)

Nice goal by McDonagh....quick vid though

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAVZPrOJcZ8

Who is in nets on that one? Should have had it on the poke-check. But yeah, nice looking goal -- I'd like to have seen a clearer copy of it ... not sure what kinda stick work he used there.

Subban hasn't stopped smiling

"Some guys are in really good shape off the ice; some guys are better skilled on the ice. It depends on what you're looking at. Definitely, it's going to be tough if you want to make this team. There's a lot of guys who have come into camp who have shown well, especially this year's draft picks. They've all come in and have produced."

"Watch my game tapes. You'll see I'm not just an offensive player."

"My dad's been a big Habs fan as far as I can remember. He actually changed me into a Habs fan. Montreal has definitely been a big deal in our household for a long time, so it's just an honour to be part of this organization right now."

^_^

:hlogo:

There’s no stopping Subban

6025_1.jpg

The 43rd overall pick at this summer’s draft, Subban told all who would listen that day that he was ready to wear his new Canadiens jersey everyday for as long he could.

“I finally ended up taking it off after all,” shrugged Subban. “I figured I had to come back down to earth at some point and I thought it was best to do that sooner than later. But it wasn’t easy. I mean to talk to so many teams and then to end up being drafted by your favorite team, it was all pretty special. But what I need to do now is concentrate on doing what I’ve always dreamed of, playing in the NHL.”

“I never try to crack people up on purpose,” explained Subban, whose 56 points in 68 games in OHL last season were certainly no joke. “You won’t catch me with a Sharpie tucked in my skate or anything, believe me. My parents always taught me to speak from the heart. That way I’ll always be genuine. If I can make a few people smile along the way, great. It’s much easier to be confident when you believe in what you’re saying. And my confidence is my biggest asset.

“I’ve been compared to Jeremy Roenick before,” added Subban. “The only thing I see is two guys who are comfortable in front of a camera.”

B)

:hlogo:

Absolutely love this kid's attitude and presence. Too bad he isn't NHL ready we could use his enthusiasm and chemistry. Will be great to see him in the habs lineup one day. Hopefully, contributing with his hockey play as much as his hockey spirit!

He said he was going to make the team out of camp. I really have a tough time thinking he has any chance but stranger things have happened.

True. We will be looking for a Souray replacement, If PK keeps putting the puck in the net during training camp how do you not keep him around? Even as a seventh defenseman that gets a lot of PP time. That way he still develops in the pros. That would be great ....who knows maby we can give him the A aswell....just kidding.

If PK keeps putting the puck in the net during training camp how do you not keep him around?

They could put him forward and put him on the point during to PP. No PK duty for PK. His defensive lapses need to be worked on. That won't improve by October. Making him forward and making him a point on the PP is probably the only way it'll work. That is unless his learning curve is that good.

I highly doubt he makes the team though.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to keep everyone here informed of your new prospect defenseman PK Subban. He plays for the Belleville Bulls my home town and I watched him play Saturday night versus the Kingston Frontenacs.

Some Quick Points

In this game he must have blasted 7-8 one timers from the point with about 5 hitting the net

Controls the puck well in the offensive zone

Will quarterback a power play with smart passing but he can get a little shot happy and leave open players in better position without the puck

Really weak in front of the net, seems intent on standing beside the player and occaisonally pushing the offending player in the view of the goalie

Great skater and stickhandler... little to confident in his abilities though and got caught out of position after a poke check or joining the rush

Overall he is a good player to have on the PP but is a liability in close games or overtime.

• 2 months later...

This URL [an audio mp3 file] represents an interview with Habs prospect PK Subban, after he was selected to the Canadian World Junior Hockey team.

http://qml.quiettouch.com/files/radio/fan5...dd-20071213.mp3

• 1 month later...

I was at the Belleville - Kingston game today, so I kept my eye on PK for most of the game.

Pros:

Great outlet pass. It's hard, quick and right on the tape 9/10 times.

Great stickhanding. He picks risky times to deke out forecheckers, but he didn't get caught once today.

Decent skating. He turns quickly, accelerates well, but could use some improvement skating backwards.

Professional caliber shot. He just doesn't get enough shots off. But Belleville only had about 40 seconds on the PP, so he wasn't really showcased.

Great energy. He reminds me of Ovechkin in this respect. He's always moving.

Cons:

Needs better focus. There were shifts where I couldn't tell what position PK was playing. He would float all over the ice, and he was fortunate it didn't lead to goals against. When he did focus, it was like night and day. But this quality is probably why PK isn't on the PK.

Better maturity. This refers to just one instance. The refs were horrible today, and they missed a 2 seconds hold on PK, directly on the play. Instead on waiting for the whistle, PK completely gave up on the play and complained to the ref... as a result, Kingston gained possession and had a great opportunity. And then, when Belleville got called for a penalty, PK speared a Frontenac on the way to the bench, which was missed by the horrible refs.

I was at the Belleville - Kingston game today, so I kept my eye on PK for most of the game.

Pros:

Great outlet pass. It's hard, quick and right on the tape 9/10 times.

Great stickhanding. He picks risky times to deke out forecheckers, but he didn't get caught once today.

Decent skating. He turns quickly, accelerates well, but could use some improvement skating backwards.

Professional caliber shot. He just doesn't get enough shots off. But Belleville only had about 40 seconds on the PP, so he wasn't really showcased.

Great energy. He reminds me of Ovechkin in this respect. He's always moving.

Cons:

Needs better focus. There were shifts where I couldn't tell what position PK was playing. He would float all over the ice, and he was fortunate it didn't lead to goals against. When he did focus, it was like night and day. But this quality is probably why PK isn't on the PK.

Better maturity. This refers to just one instance. The refs were horrible today, and they missed a 2 seconds hold on PK, directly on the play. Instead on waiting for the whistle, PK completely gave up on the play and complained to the ref... as a result, Kingston gained possession and had a great opportunity. And then, when Belleville got called for a penalty, PK speared a Frontenac on the way to the bench, which was missed by the horrible refs.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that performance. I see him in 25-30 games a year and it sounds very different from his normal play and effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw PK in the Belleville-Sudbury game this Saturday. Nothing much to add....scored one goal with a rocket from the point (as usual), he is still pulling the pullback and dekes in his own zone and when he is the only man back. A little to risky if you ask me... I bet first time he tries that crap in the big show they steal the puck and score. Overall not a bad game for PK and BTW the next Staal brother didn't impress me tonight.

• 1 month later...

I was at the Bulls game tonight and Subban got the winner in overtime. It wasn't a shot from the point either... he came in, went deep, cycled it, and then as he drifted back to the point he jumped into the slot and ended up all alone on the goalie for the score.. friggin amazing goal...

PK is a real fan favourite in Belleville. He jumps up more then Markov and has a great shot from the point. His skating just gets better every time I see him... they call it the Subbanator Spin... :)

The only down side I see is that like many young, offensive minded defensemen, he tends to take some bad risks (think Kovalev as the last man back..) and could improve his defensive game.

In any case, he was the first star as Belleville got a club record 100 points on the season (so far). Oh, they were playing Tavares and they have Mathias too....I was behind the glass beside the penalty bench.. awesome....

I was at the Bulls game tonight and Subban got the winner in overtime. It wasn't a shot from the point either... he came in, went deep, cycled it, and then as he drifted back to the point he jumped into the slot and ended up all alone on the goalie for the score.. friggin amazing goal...

PK is a real fan favourite in Belleville. He jumps up more then Markov and has a great shot from the point. His skating just gets better every time I see him... they call it the Subbanator Spin... :)

The only down side I see is that like many young, offensive minded defensemen, he tends to take some bad risks (think Kovalev as the last man back..) and could improve his defensive game.

In any case, he was the first star as Belleville got a club record 100 points on the season (so far). Oh, they were playing Tavares and they have Mathias too....I was behind the glass beside the penalty bench.. awesome....

Cool, thanks for the report brobin. I was sold when he played at the WJC's. His defensive game overall, puck control and movement out of the zone was solid from a purely truly defensive perspective. I guess that's what happens when it's the "my way or the highway" concept of Team Canada. Still, he showed excellent poise in the Championship. I'm sold. He'll get over those kinks in short time. Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

After seeing him play a couple of time im starting to think that he might do an NHL team someday , it's true that he might not be a great defensive minded guy but still think that scout's are little to rought on him

From Hf.com :

Talent Analysis

The problem is, for a kid with the initials P.K., he shows no inclination for playing any sort of defensive role. In many ways, he's a defenseman in name only, regularly sacrificing good positioning to make a foray into the offensive end.

Future

If some team thinks they can rein in his freelancing ways - or maybe convert him into a forward - then the offensive potential is there. Otherwise, take note - there is absolutely no D in P.K. Subban's name or game.

I dont think he's that bad... what do you think?

Edited by phrib

He is not that bad at all, but he is a wild one. He needs to be paired with a stay at home type partner. Subban can often be found down low in the cycle. :)

I suspect that he will get tamed down as he matures, but the thought of him being converted to a forward is also interesting. We seem to be doing that a lot lately and Subban has more offensive upside them most defensemen.