Game Thread | Montreal vs. Ottawa | 10/18/07

Spider-Man NL

I went absolutely nuts when Kovy tied it up, soo happy...

Shortly after i was extremely let down to see Kosto (unpressured) gave the Sens a gift...that was heartbreaking.... Although we cann blame Kosto for that, lets look at Carbonneau and ask ourselves WHAT WAS HE THINKING having a player like Kosto out there at that point in time...so painful I want to scream.

Technically we shouldn't expect to beat a team like the sens, but every once in a while you have to steal some games like Florida did to us...tonight was a veryyyy winable game and we couldnt capitalize due to the stupidest turnover one could commit.

He was out there because the top lines just finished the power play and Kost is suppose to be a defensive grinder.

Put another way, these are the players Bob gave him...

Give Carbo Heatly, Alfy, and Spezza, with Reddon, etc on the back end. Then lets see....

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the pre season optimism some had here, Philly is doing well, we are heading for about 15th in the East. Perhaps, this team simply is not good enough in talent level, as the analysts said.

The irony is that during the intermission of the Florida game all the TSN panelists (Mackenzie, MacGuire) were talking about how they'd changed their minds and now expect us to make the playoffs. Bunch of bandwagon jumpers. :rolleyes:

As for the pre season optimism some had here, Philly is doing well, we are heading for about 15th in the East. Perhaps, this team simply is not good enough in talent level, as the analysts said.

here's an idea...stop listening to the analysts! most of the time they have no clue and are just trying to stir up crap, case in point, that guy who moderates the TSN panel, and Glen Healy most of, if not all of the time

here's an idea...stop listening to the analysts! most of the time they have no clue and are just trying to stir up crap, case in point, that guy who moderates the TSN panel, and Glen Healy most of, if not all of the time

Well, they appear to be right so far. :)

I actually agree with most of them that the habs are a bubble team at best. We have an average coach, below average talent pool (good prospects, but they are not top nhl players yet), and no player likely to crack the top 50.

Disappointing result tonight. I am not here to claim moral victories.

They lost, they deserved to lose. Price was average, some big saves, a really bad goal and they turned the puck over way to much. That is probably the best team in the east, so I am not going to overreact.

My hope is this team gets better every game. Not the other way around like last year.

Speculating about Carbo's moves is a waste of time. Does he even know what he's doing?:P

come on...... this is not carbo's fault. everyone is acting like the guy (no pun intended) has a stanley cup lineup. we're arguing over which 3rd/4th line player should be on/off at any given time. the reality is, we're competing in every game (as we did last year) with a very average lineup.

We're going to win some close ones, and we're going to lose some close ones. this is a 7 - 11th ranked team. we cant go on with this moaning all year. we're rebuilding with youth and, like it or not, we're going to have to accept our lumps this year. i nearly drank myself into oblivion last year worrying about this team. this year: new attitude - f the playoffs. let the young guys grow and learn, and hope for the best.

Well, they appear to be right so far. :)

I actually agree with most of them that the habs are a bubble team at best. We have an average coach, below average talent pool (good prospects, but they are not top nhl players yet), and no player likely to crack the top 50.

I misunderstood you, you were talking about pre-season predictions...mainly I am just sick of the spin...come on, look what they tried to turn the Kovalev thing into, TSN had a freakin black and white screen on him yesterday for effect! They're just trying to suck you in! I for one could happily do without it.

Beside that, I think the season is still too young to make any big predictions, but we've looked good, even dominated.

I didn't read any post, just screaming GO HOME KOSTOPOULOS AND DIE SLOWLY !!!!

Just got home to see the bad news! Only saw the first period when it was 1-1. Sounds like the Habs were a little lucky to be in the game, but Kostopolo blew the game. Even though he shows some grit, i am thoroughly disgusted at his play. He is 4th liner at best. He has got to go, even though i'm not sure how. Let some of the kids play. Rather see Laps or even the kid D-Agostini maybe. Even Streit back up forward and Gorges on D.

And why Carbo would break up the lines after a great effort against Florida, i can't understand why. With Murray hurt, he could have just slid Begin back in that spot. Then it would be:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Smolinski-Plekanec-Kovalev

Kostitsyn-Grabovski-Kostopolous(rather see Latendresse here)

Begin-Chipchura-Dandeneault

could also switch Kosti with Smokes and move Grabs to left wing. Run out the top 3 lines and use 4th line sparingly and on the penalty kill. Does that not sound better. Eventually Lapierre would replace Dandy as well.

What you guys think.

I was at the game, and neither team seemed particularly good. From what I could see only Lats, Kovy and Grabs were playing up to their potential. Saku and Higgins looked like they had tape on their skates. Markov, Streit and Hamrlik looked shaky. Breezer had 4-5 gaffes (is that good for him?) Price was average. Smolinksi couldn't win a faceoff against Spezza to save his life (although he could beat everyone else, just not the big ones). Ryder was trying, and it was nice to see him get that monkey off his back. The results weren't there, but the first 2 lines generated a lot of pressure, and Pleks and Lats might have done more, had they been blessed with a competent winger.

In any case, I thought we put forth a consistent effort tonight; too bad it was an uninspired effort. I am pleased to see us moving forward with each game. We seem to be learning from our mistakes.

My advice for next game: Bring up Maxim and sit Kostopolous.

At least the boys are playing pretty decently. To nearly tie against the #1 team in the NHL isn't too shabby.

Kovalev is playing great too, hey, that's fantastic.

When Kovalev is in a 5-month laziness slump everyone complains, when he has 6 good games in a row, no one gives him praise. Well damnit, i will. Good job Kovster. Keep it up. On pace for 42 goals!

Kovy was great. Glad to see the whole controversy didn't effect his game.

I was at the game, and neither team seemed particularly good. From what I could see only Lats, Kovy and Grabs were playing up to their potential. Saku and Higgins looked like they had tape on their skates. Markov, Streit and Hamrlik looked shaky. Breezer had 4-5 gaffes (is that good for him?) Price was average. Smolinksi couldn't win a faceoff against Spezza to save his life (although he could beat everyone else, just not the big ones). Ryder was trying, and it was nice to see him get that monkey off his back. The results weren't there, but the first 2 lines generated a lot of pressure, and Pleks and Lats might have done more, had they been blessed with a competent winger.

In any case, I thought we put forth a consistent effort tonight; too bad it was an uninspired effort. I am pleased to see us moving forward with each game. We seem to be learning from our mistakes.

My advice for next game: Bring up Maxim and sit Kostopolous.

Thanks for the input. Looks like i'm not the only one shaking his head about Kostopolous. Not a very good signing by Bob, if the first 6 games are any indication.

Kostitsyn played an awful game. Never controlled the puck, missed his pass, was second on the puck :( Grabs is getting slightly better game after game tho :)

I agree with BTH: Kostopoulos is a fourth line player, not third. That's the problem, we ask too much of him. He should play with Bégin and Chips on the fourth (but Lapierre would be better than him).

As for the unanswered question, I think Carbo changed his lines to generate more attack We played a good game against Florida, one of the worst teams in the league, but I think he felt he needed to try new combinations in order to score more. Plus the reintegration of Lats in the lineup.

I think Smokes has too much icetime. Is not that good. At 4-3 he was on the ice with Kovy and Pleks... WTF?!

The positive thing is that we lost by only one goal against the best team in the league. The two negative things are that we're gonna play that best in the league team 7 more times and that even tho we lost by a goal, we were outplayed. There was alot of pressure on the D so the D had problems getting the puck to the wingers to get it out of the zone. For those of you who played at the wing, you know how pass made via the glass at ears hight are hard to catch...

I can't wait to see how we fare against Buffalo

Edited by Punkned

Thanks for the input. Looks like i'm not the only one shaking his head about Kostopolous. Not a very good signing by Bob, if the first 6 games are any indication.

I think he would be good for a rotation on the 4th line, in no way does he deserve to be on the 3rd.

I couldn't be bothered to read the past 13 pages of this thread, therefore I am uncertain if this topic has already been brought up....Did anyone notice that Kovalev was being DOUBLE SHIFTED tonight? :clap: In that aspect, it is wonderful that him and Carbo have come to terms with each other. Secondly, during the 3rd period...did anyone notice a big yellow/brownish circle in Gerbers net in the white ice? Did he puke during a commercial break or something? I swear he had to have! Lastly...once again...not every shift was played 110% tonight. Kostopoulis should just be perma press box with Murray. I am almost certain that lapierre has learned his lesson in the AHL and will be hungry to play. I really hope to see him in the lineup against the Sabres Saturday night. All in all...the game really should have been 3-3 (because Heatley blatantly interfered with Brisebois prior to receiving that breakway pass!). Good Game for MTL...more often then not they will win dogfights like tonight...(however the sens are like a raging Pitbull right now :unsure: ..lets hope the complexion of that changes over the year)

GO :hlogo: GO

I guess I'll be the unpopular vote and say, Price looked very shakey tonight, almost Abby like in his rebound control.

I know people are gonna say "he's young, give him time", the problem is, he shouldn't have been in there, it should have been Huet. I guess we can chalk that up to another Carbo mistake.

I guess I'll be the unpopular vote and say, Price looked very shakey tonight, almost Abby like in his rebound control.

I know people are gonna say "he's young, give him time", the problem is, he shouldn't have been in there, it should have been Huet. I guess we can chalk that up to another Carbo mistake.

I guess not. Kosto blew it, Price was ok, just like Gerber, just like any NHL goalie who has an average game against one of the, or the best offense in the league...

I wouldn't call it a average game, too many people are sugar coating Prices' efforts. That last goal was weak rebound control. You can use Kosto as the scapegoat as to not ruin Prices' future all you want, but thats a shitty thing to do.

I'm not talking about wanting to place blame, but it has to be said.

Price was fine, the defensive zone coverage was pathetic at best last night. Without some big saves that could have been 5 or 6 goals.

Overall a weak effort, soft plays, a turnover factory in there own end. Right after a big deal about stupid penalties Brisbois starts the game with one.

Kostopolous was awfull, Markov and Komi were pretty bad in there own end, these 2 need to pick it up. Brisbois, well i remember why i'm not a big fan of his. Him and Carbo must go to the same whinning school.

No offense generated 5 on 5.

Solutions for next game:

Grabovski to Hamilton

Brisbois out / Gorges in

Lapierre in, Dandy out (too many dumb penalties)

Higgins Koivu Ryder

Kosty Pleks Kovalev

Lats Lapierre Smoke

Begin Chipchura Kostopolous

Makov Komi

Hamrlik Goges

Bouillon Streit

As a side note, they need to figure out 5 players who know how to play aafter a big goal is scored, as a team they a really bad holding leads or responding to big goals. They always get scored on when they least need it.

Price was fine, the defensive zone coverage was pathetic at best last night. Without some big saves that could have been 5 or 6 goals.

Overall a weak effort, soft plays, a turnover factory in there own end. Right after a big deal about stupid penalties Brisbois starts the game with one.

Kostopolous was awfull, Markov and Komi were pretty bad in there own end, these 2 need to pick it up. Brisbois, well i remember why i'm not a big fan of his. Him and Carbo must go to the same whinning school.

No offense generated 5 on 5.

Solutions for next game:

Grabovski to Hamilton

Brisbois out / Gorges in

Lapierre in, Dandy out (too many dumb penalties)

Higgins Koivu Ryder

Kosty Pleks Kovalev

Lats Lapierre Smoke

Begin Chipchura Kostopolous

Makov Komi

Hamrlik Goges

Bouillon Streit

As a side note, they need to figure out 5 players who know how to play aafter a big goal is scored, as a team they a really bad holding leads or responding to big goals. They always get scored on when they least need it.

I like your line ups for next game. I especially like moving Kosto to the 4th, Smoke to the third, and Plex to the second. and to go with that, Carbo NEEDS to shorten the bench when it's that close. the 4th line should NOT be out there when the score is close against a high scoring team like the Sens. If it's because he doesn't have the last change on the road, then don't put them on the ice unless you ABSOLUTELY need to in the last10 minutes...