Is it time to trade Saku?

Habsfan

AS I was driving in to work this morning, the guys on the Team 990, were talking about Saku Koivu. About how in the middle of all the crap that' s been going on with the Habs, that Saku only has 1 goal 5 on 5 this season and that he's only scored once in the past 16 games!

They were saying that if things keep going the way they are right now, and that by january or February the Habs don't seem like they'll make it into the playoffs, Saku might go see Bob and tell him that he would drop the NO TRADE CLAUSE if Bob were to shop him around.

AS much as I like Saku, I thikn that if Bob were to get something decent in return, he should pull the trigger on a deal.

What do y'all think about that?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not the time but it's maybe the year. trade deadline will be a great time if koivu decides to. if he stays I'll be more than happy to see him back.

I heard the conversations on team 990 and all they say Is that we may get a quality pick...not enough.

IF he's traded we need a NHLer(not a Gorges type player) AND a 1st rounder either for this year or 09. the only team I would accept koivu to be dealt to for a pick is anaheim and it would be for the oilers pick they got for penner.

if not, we need a young player that can play on an offensive line.

IMO better to keep Saku, would like to see a quality power forward on his wing instead of Ryder/Lats/Smolinski, although Lats might be good if he got a chance to work with Saku and Higgins, I mean, chemistry takes a bit of time I fear Carbo is getting more and more capricious . . .

AS I was driving in to work this morning, the guys on the Team 990, were talking about Saku Koivu. About how in the middle of all the crap that' s been going on with the Habs, that Saku only has 1 goal 5 on 5 this season and that he's only scored once in the past 16 games!

They were saying that if things keep going the way they are right now, and that by january or February the Habs don't seem like they'll make it into the playoffs, Saku might go see Bob and tell him that he would drop the NO TRADE CLAUSE if Bob were to shop him around.

AS much as I like Saku, I thikn that if Bob were to get something decent in return, he should pull the trigger on a deal.

What do y'all think about that?

i think the goofs playing wing with him have to shoulder a lot of the blame here.

although Lats might be good if he got a chance to work with Saku and Higgins, I mean, chemistry takes a bit of time I fear Carbo is getting more and more capricious . . .

I agree. I'd leave Latendresse with Koivu and Higgins for at least 4 or 5 games. Give them a chance. But you have to look at it from Carbo's point of view. He wants to win, and he wants to win NOW. His job is on the line!

Edited by Habsfan

My heart breaks everyone someone starts a conversation involving the ousting of Saku. I don't know that I believe in happy endings as a rule, but I sure hope he'll have one with that Habs (i.e. a Stanley Cup).

My heart breaks everyone someone starts a conversation involving the ousting of Saku. I don't know that I believe in happy endings as a rule, but I sure hope he'll have one with that Habs (i.e. a Stanley Cup).

It depends what you want. With all the complaining and calling for heads on the board you are open to poor decisions.

You trade Saku Koivu if the package in return lands you an impact player that will improve the team.

You do not trade Koivu if all you are getting is picks in return.

The only other situation I trade Koivu is if he is at the root of the problem in the team's refusal to buy into the system.

Otherwise it would have to be a deal that Bob cannot turn down.

He'll be hard to trade because of his NTC. He will only go to a cup contender.

I hope we trade him, but for good return. Plus, we have no C ready to take his place on the 2nd.

Trading him would really change the face of the franchise and the atmosphere around the team. A much needed change IMO. I really like Saku until last year, where he began to falter in my esteem to reach a life-time low this week!

I hope we trade him, but for good return. Plus, we have no C ready to take his place on the 2nd.

I think Komisarek wll be the next captain!

What do you guys expect to get for Saku? and how will it improve the team? He is a veteren, almost PPG centre, who is a setup man and makes everyone around him better.

You want a power forward who will get more than a PPG, and has to generate his own offence? Even if we got this player (a stretch, see below), there would be marginal net gain for the habs.

How many players can do that, that have equal or less value to their teams than Saku (because I assure you, most of these guys are high up on the allstar depth charts, and probably making more than Koivu too), and their GMs would be willing to deal them? Please name someone who would be available for this fantastical trade proposition?

You people ragging on Saku because of a slump (where are you when he is hot and leading the team in production) disgust me, pure fair weather fans with hysterical solutions whenever a speed bump is hit. You're the type who we usually associate with leaf fans and make fun of, you're an embarrassment to true knowledgable habs fans and should be ashamed of yourselves.

A 'knowledgable' Habs fan would realize that Koivu is the only bona fide offensive catalyst the team has. And would also realize that Koivu fails to be effective in that role for 1/4 to 1/3 of every season, which is a major reason why the Canadiens are no better than a 'bubble' team every year. Koivu's fundamental weakness is that he collapses for 1-3 months annually.

Therefore he should be traded IF he can get us back an offensive pivot who can be effective in that role on a more full-time basis.

The problem is that such a deal is unlikely, first because Koivu would only agree to go to a contending team, and second because contenders are unlikely to deal away such an offensive pivot. Looking around, though, I do see one possible match: Patrick Marleau may or may not be a genuine offensive catalyst - he's certainly struggled this season - but he's five years younger and has a PPG profile. To me, that's an example of the kind of trade you could make for Koivu, identifying a quality offensive pivot who, for whatever reason, has become undervalued on a contending club; and trading him in exchange for Koivu, who always comes through in the playoffs and will be that team's equivalent of Butch Goring, instantly improving their chances of going all the way.

Otherwise, you keep Koivu and live with his limitations, trying to package some combination of other players (Ryder, Higgins, Huet, picks, whoever) to acquire a second offensive pivot.

The only other wild card is if you take seriously the fact that Koivu has never slumped this early in a season before. Is this a sign he's breaking down? If it is, then you move him for sure while he still has value, before his game collapses into something no better than Oleg Petrov's.

I favour the first scenario myself.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

He looks like a player in serious decline on far too many nights....and I'd jump at the chance to make a fair trade for him. The key word is fair...can't afford to get nothing but a draft pick for him unless it's likely to be a really high first rounder. Our best bet would be to package him with a quality prospect and get a good player in return.

How about we find a coach who knows how to use this teams assets instead of trying to push square pegs in to round holes.

Sorry, but Koivu's annual extended collapses have occured under several coaches. It's not Carbonneau's fault. That's just what Koivu is: only a part-time #1C. This is the biggest weakness in our organization and it must be addressed one way or the other if we ever want to evolve into contenders.

It drives me nuts how fans overreact to anybody suggesting that Saku Koivu is not the second coming.

Nobody suggested that they should dump him, nobody is blaming him for our issues. Cucumber was not bashing him by suggesting that he is not good enough to carry this team. That is a Houle, Savard, Gainey issue.

After the Habs dealt Roy I fully realized that I am cheering for laundry. I love and hate some guys that put on the jersey,

but if trading any of them gets me closer to watching another Stanley Cup banner raised to the rafters than I am all for it.

I love Koivu, but if things don't change when I look back in 10 years to the Koivu years it will be a collective "meh".

People need to stop blaming the wingers. Yes, Ryder has not been stellar and if Koivu had a top winger he would have a few more assists. However, the same is true. I have watched Ryder (and Lats) be in the perfect spot for a one timer and Koivu doesn't get the pass thru. If he does, its in their skates. That is Saku's fault and if he was playing better then maybe Ryder would have a few more goals and some more confidence.

In any case, I have been unhappy with Koivu's play this year (and a part of last year too). He is easily knocked down, his passes have been off the mark and his energy level is not consistently there. He needs to get better, period.

If Saku can't (and its too early to tell if this is a slump or the beginning of the end) then the team needs to either trade him, or bring in a number one centre via some other trading package to complement him. If people think that somehow Koivu is going to blossom into a point per game guy at this point, I think they are dreaming.

Hell no.

Yes, Koivu is slumping, but so is the entire team. We all know that he can't carry the team, but that doesn't mean he should be traded. What we require is more team cohesion and effort. Trading Saku won't accomplish that.

Plus, I imagine Koivu would only waive his NTC to go to a contender. What contender would give up a first line player if they are trying to win the Cup? The only thing I think you could see being traded would be a depth NHLer and a high draft pick, neither of which will help our present state.

It drives me nuts how fans overreact to anybody suggesting that Saku Koivu is not the second coming.

Nobody suggested that they should dump him, nobody is blaming him for our issues. Cucumber was not bashing him by suggesting that he is not good enough to carry this team. That is a Houle, Savard, Gainey issue.

After the Habs dealt Roy I fully realized that I am cheering for laundry. I love and hate some guys that put on the jersey,

but if trading any of them gets me closer to watching another Stanley Cup banner raised to the rafters than I am all for it.

I love Koivu, but if things don't change when I look back in 10 years to the Koivu years it will be a collective "meh".

Of course Koivu is not good enough to carry this team. There are only a couple of players ever that could carry this team.

I just can't for the life of me see how Koivu is the centre of the Habs failures for the last 10 years. We have and have had for too many years, a group of 4th liners (I know, Lafleur and I are exaggerating). We have had some pretty poor coaches and GMs here in Montreal over that time as well.

Koivu is one of those players that will be at the top of the scoring charts on a better team. Look at what he did during the Olympics.

I am not against trading Koivu if it nets us a better team.

The problem in my mind is Carbonneau, not any 1 player on this team.

It's time to trade EVERYONE! Let's see who's in 1st.............well Ottawa's out since you don't trade within your own conference SO i guess it's Detroit!

TSN breaking news....GM Gainey announces today he's traded the entire Habs team (and Montreals next 10 1st round picks, 5 2nd round picks and a minor-leaguer to be named later) to Detroit for their team.

Everyone in Montreal happy now........ :rolleyes:

The return on a Koivu trade would not be anywhere close to the value needed to pull of this kind of deal.

Who becomes our number 2 centre, assuming Pleky jumps up as the number 1?

Just trading Koivu for the sake of changing the face of the franchise as some of you have said is garbage.