Arrest Warrant issued for Guy Lafleur

kenadian

I think that anyone who has watched him play and seen how magical he was, still respect him. I know he was my hero as a kid. Lafleur and Roy were the last superheros of this team, and since Roy left in less than favorable circumstances, Lafleur is the most recent hero in good standing with the team. I have an autographed picture of him above my bed. BTW as stated earlier, if I had to lie to some judge to protect my children, that's exactly what I would do. I don't expect much to come out of this other than a little bad press for a few weeks.

IF GUY SAID IT, IT IS SO.

I was going to make a comment about so-called Habs fans who don't care about Guy Lafleur, but JHB has said it for me. I hope everything works out for Guy.

Wow, some folks lack perspective.

Habs hero or not; the Law is the same for every citizen. Being gifted at a sport already gives special status in every day life -- positive or negative -- it shouldn't change the way Law applies.

In this case, it seems Lafleur's icon status is actually playing against him because the arrest warrant issued against him is a very extreme measure.

Sigh, poor Guy. His son is an asshat, plain and simple. I think the judge in question is simply taking advantage of Lafleur's name and legacy to garner a few minutes of fame for himself... "I'm the Judge who issued and arrest warrant for the Great Guy Lafleur!!"

Guy is a legend, I saw him play when I was a kid, and to this day I remember him sweeping down his wing, blond hair streaming....his finesse and skill were of the kind that you seldomly see today...

I hope everything works out for him....

Edited by Naslund/Nilan/Robinson

I would take a murder rap for my kid if it saved them. I am that type of person. My family comes before me. Right or wrong.

I assume you mean you'd take the rap to save your innocent child. If you're protecting a guilty child, then your statement is utterly, utterly ridiculous.

Not to mention writing something like that in an open forum. It could come back to haunt you.

Yep, probably screwed the next time my kid kills someone.

I mean Guy is guilty of poor judgement, but jail time because he lied about curfew?

That is all that they have on him. It is extreme to arrest somebody for this and the only reason it is happening is because he is a huge celeb in Montreal.

From what I have read and heard, if he was not directly asked a question about the curfew in the first deposition then he is not even guilty of perjury.

I can understand the poor judgement being a protective father myself, but I would not condone sending your son out to visit a 16 year old when he is 23.

Especially with his son's criminal past.

Poor judgement. I will not crucify him for that.

Edited by Wamsley01

Well, realistically he is obviously not going to go to jail - chances are he may not be convicted, charges might be dropped if his son owns up to what he did, etc.

His son's the real wackjob if you read the charges against him.

Still, Lafleur should know better than to drive his 23 year old son to hook with up a 16 yr old at a hotel when there is some kind of court order against it.

I can understand the poor judgement being a protective father myself, but I would not condone sending your son out to visit a 16 year old when he is 23.

I think these events occured when his son was 19 years old. I had read that he was 22 years old, not 23??

I think these events occured when his son was 19 years old. I had read that he was 22 years old, not 23??

Guy Lafleur often lets his heart rule his head and that's probably what he did when he allowed his son to break his court-ordered curfew in August, Lafleur's former Canadiens teammate Steve Shutt says.

"It was an emotional decision he made as a father," Shutt added yesterday.

"Any father would do that - it's very tough when your kid's in trouble," the 55-year-old Shutt said.

Lafleur's fatherly devotion may have been tested yesterday, however, when Montreal police arrested him for allegedly giving contradictory evidence in the court case of his son, Mark, 23, who is facing a variety of charges including sexual assault and kidnapping.

That sounds like he let his 23 year old out last August, in which case he would not be 19, but 22 or 23.

Guy won't see any repercussion over this. He lied to keep his kid out of jail. Was it right? No. Would I do it? It depends on what the charges are, and if I thought my kid did something wrong. If I felt my child committed a terrible crime, I would not assist his prosecution, but I would not lie. I hereby state on this open forum that I love my children, and I will protect them to the best of my ability even it means lying to a fat guy in a penguin suit with a little wooden hammer (depending on what he did.):blink: :blink: .

• 2 months later...