Game Thread | Habs vs. Flyers | 16/02/08

Cataclaw

The Cube was on tonight. He was hitting, passing and took away some good chances .Come on....you were there.

Hammer was felt as well but you know people don't like Boullion. He deserved it!!!

He had five hits, and they were all big.

Yeah I am not saying Frank was bad, he was fantastic but Hamrlik on thet 5 on 3 was awesome should have earned him a star.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game for Pricey! Congrats to him on his first career NHL shutout...Here is to many more! Hope Carbs gives him the call for tonight in Philly, kid really deserves it!

Carbs?

I should ban you just for not calling him Carbo! ^_^

Caught the last period, was not happy at the shots on goal which i think were 15-3 against the Habs. Seems we put enormous pressure on our goaltenders, have for some years now. I know the argument is that the system forced shots from outside, ie "low percentage" opportunies, but would still like it if we maintained an aggressive style. For example, when the opposition has pulled their goalie, we should hustle a bit, try to skate hard through the neutral zone to pop in the empty net goal, would like to see this happen more.

Go Habs Go!

That Kostitsyn goal was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen (though I watched the NBA slam dunk competition a few minutes later and Dwight Howard easily topped it - he was almost literally non-human). It didn't look too nice at gamespeed but when you look at the slomo replay and realize what he did... it's unbelievable what that guy can do.

Anyways, a big win for Price and the team, but if we come out like that tonight, we are going to lose, we got dominated. For tonight's game, I'd like to see some better decisions on the powerplay (especially by Streit) and for us to be more aggressive on defence. Our gameplan cannot be to let Price go for another shutout.

Hey Spidey! Nice to see you back. Yup....Price was f*ckin good!!!!

Ya its nice to have you back Spidey. Price was sggod and that goal was amazing. I wonder if it is on Youtube yet?

Caught the last period, was not happy at the shots on goal which i think were 15-3 against the Habs. Seems we put enormous pressure on our goaltenders, have for some years now. I know the argument is that the system forced shots from outside, ie "low percentage" opportunies, but would still like it if we maintained an aggressive style. For example, when the opposition has pulled their goalie, we should hustle a bit, try to skate hard through the neutral zone to pop in the empty net goal, would like to see this happen more.

Go Habs Go!

10 of those shots were on the 5 on 3.

Welcome home Spidey! Good to see ya!

Well that was definitely a look at the future and I was mind blown. If Price can bring that game for say six in a row, rest a game and go another 6, then he is ready for NHL starter duty. Should we give him a shot at that or not yet?

That Kostitsyn goal was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen (though I watched the NBA slam dunk competition a few minutes later and Dwight Howard easily topped it - he was almost literally non-human). It didn't look too nice at gamespeed but when you look at the slomo replay and realize what he did... it's unbelievable what that guy can do.

Anyways, a big win for Price and the team, but if we come out like that tonight, we are going to lose, we got dominated. For tonight's game, I'd like to see some better decisions on the powerplay (especially by Streit) and for us to be more aggressive on defence. Our gameplan cannot be to let Price go for another shutout.

You thought so? The first dunk was nice, but the second one wasn't even a dunk (he threw it in) and that and the last one were pure gimmick.

Give me VC in 2000, JRich in 2004 or Jordon/Nique in 88. THe whole thing has turned into props and BS.

Jamario Moon's second dunk was better than Green getting a guy to sit on a ladder with a ball.

And blowing out a candle? Just another gimmick.

As far as AK46, that slowmo replay was unreal, I thought at live speed that the Philly D put it in the net.

On the mad scramble that nearly tied the game – and François Gagnon, among others, thought it did – Tom Kostopoulos joined the pile and later admitted he did so to obscure the view of the overhead camera that Toronto would use to decide if the puck was in. There was no video consultation, but Tom the Bomb is a smart player.

Now that is a smart play

This was a crazy game, so many chances missed or stopped by great saves. It was 1-0 but there could have easily been three more goals by each team. The Habs played well for the most part, aside from some stupid penalties and a few stretches of the game. That 5 on 3 was intense, they had possession in our zone for like 100 seconds straight.

What can you say about our wunderkid Carey Price? He was larger than life.

Each of our lines was pretty effective, and the Québecois guys were creating pretty many chances. Another strong game from Koivu except for the penalty and the missed gaping net. Bouillon was good as well. Markov made a few defensive errors, but that setup he gave Koivu was sick. Hamrlik was solid in his return, and him and O'Byrne are a very good second pairing, they're big and tough and they don't give an inch.

I'm kind of on the fence about that no-goal call on the Flyers in the third, when Price was sliding into the net. They blew the whistle after the puck had crossed the line, and it didn't look like he was pushed before that happened. But, they ruled it no goal on the play, and they stuck with it. There was no clear evidence to overturn it anyway, but it's the kind of thing that we might be pissed about if it happened to us.

All in all a great game for a Saturday night, and a big day for our favourite rookie. It looks like he'll get the start tomorrow, but Carbo might want to rest him on back-to-back nights.

I don't think it was about the evidence.....they didn't even need to go to the replay.....the ref disallowed the goal immediately because Price was pushed into the net by Richards' stick ...even though he didn't smash into Price with his body, Richards jammed his stick into Price's pads & leveraged Price into the net......very nifty play on his part, but Dave Jackson saw exactly what happened and waived off the goal according to league rules.

On a side note, it was interesting to note who Carbo had on the ice when the Flyer's pulled their goalie.........Komi & Hammer on "D" (no Markov).......and 3 of our best offensive players in Kovy, Plex, and Saku up front.

I read somewhere that Markov is ranked 5th in the league in Giveaways, but I think that's because he makes a lot high-risk passes up the middle trying for a home run.........a lot of those giveaways end up being icing calls on us.

Well boys, nice win by the habs last night.

Carey Price was a monster and what a goal by Kostitsyn...Ovechkin-esque!

Hopefully the boys will come out stronger tonight! It'll be a tough game in Philly!

Overall, VERY good game. The building was buzzing when they showed the replay on the Kostitsyn goal. I didn't realize that Big t.its did that extra little move when in mid air...overall phenomenal goal. The boys got bailed out by some very solid goaltending by Carey Price...especially in the 5 on 3 situation. Give some credit to the PKers too..they were all awesome. As for Saku missing a wide open net.... :clap: its just a little more justification why he should be stripped of that C ...he's Finnish-ed. On a side note ive never seen the Bell Centre get the wave going for a while haha but apparently its back! Anyways I hope we can bang out another win tonight, and have the same number of points as Ottawa!

Welcome home Spidey! Good to see ya!

Well that was definitely a look at the future and I was mind blown. If Price can bring that game for say six in a row, rest a game and go another 6, then he is ready for NHL starter duty. Should we give him a shot at that or not yet?

Of course the Habs should it is time to win games not make people feel good.

I'm kind of on the fence about that no-goal call on the Flyers in the third, when Price was sliding into the net.
Yeah, and I bet Flyer's fans are fuming. But, watch it again. Richards was in the crease BEFORE THE PUCK ARRIVED and never left the crease. Hence, no goal and a good call.