I don't think Bob Gainey would be afraid to Trade Higgins

markierung

It seems as though most rumours the Habs have been mentioned in don't materialize because the other team is looking to land Higgins in return. In my opinion, Higgins is comparable to a couple of guys, one that the Habs have traded in the past, and one that Gainey has already traded.

I've heard a few people compare Higgins to John Leclaire. He's a very good defensive forward who seems to be very dangerous around the net, only he hasn't really developed the scoring touch yet. I think like Leclaire, Higgins has the potential to explode, very soon.

Although I think this is the main reason the Habs aren't willing to lose the guy, we should Remember the Move that helped Gainey land the cup in Dallas. Gainey traded Jarome Iginla for Joe Neuwendyk(i'm not even going to try to spell it properly).

It's clear that gainey has the cahones to trade away a potential star for a better chance at a cup right away. He knew that the window of oportunity was closing with an aging Brett Hull, Mike Modano and Derian Hatcher. We're almost in the same postion: Aging Koivu, Kovalev and Hamrlik. Although I would hate to see Higgins go, I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded if Gainey could land the final peice he thinks we need to win the cup (not that we're only one peice away this year). I wouldn't be shocked, if next year, he gets traded in a package for a superstar winger to give us two deadly scoring lines.

Although i have to say that i hope it doesn't go down this way and that he blossoms before it gets to that point.

Edited by markierung

You might be right , Gainey would trade Higgins, but the only thing Higgins and leclair have in common is they are both american. They are 2 different players, Leclair was a big player wasn't the best defensive forward and scored most of his goals by standing in front of the net. Higgins is a small player that doesn't hit a lot and scores most of his goals on the rush not by standing in front of the net. Higgins is a better defensive forward.

If you are going to compare Higgins the guy we got back for Leclair would be a better choice. MARK RECCHI

You might be right , Gainey would trade Higgins, but the only thing Higgins and leclair have in common is they are both american. They are 2 different players, Leclair was a big player wasn't the best defensive forward and scored most of his goals by standing in front of the net. Higgins is a small player that doesn't hit a lot and scores most of his goals on the rush not by standing in front of the net. Higgins is a better defensive forward.

If you are going to compare Higgins the guy we got back for Leclair would be a better choice. MARK RECCHI

I meant to compare them to the fact that Higgins looks like he's about to blossom, kinda like Leclaire did when he was a Habs. But ya, Rechi is a good comparable player too.

I know( I hope) he wouldn't trade higgins for a rent-a-player. but lets say florida asked higgins for jokinen, you'd have to think really hard of doing it. players like higgins come and go in this league but a jokinen or a richards...they dont come so often.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'd really hesitate before trading away a guy like Higgins. People on these boards seem to think that he's a power-forward and that he'll score 40 goals.

I disagree. Higgins is 5'11", a power-forwad has to be at least be 6'1" tall. PLus I seriously doubt Higgins will ever score 40 goals. He might score 30 in one season, but not 40. But Higgins does have some very good qualities. Not only will he score 30 goals for us, he's very sound defensively, and is not afraid to go ito the corners to fight it out.

Let's not forget that he's best buddies with Komisarek (the future captain) if we were to trade him away, it might leave Komisarek a little annoyed and he might be looking to get traded once he becomes a UFA. None of us would want that!

Edited by Habsfan

I know( I hope) he wouldn't trade higgins for a rent-a-player. but lets say florida asked higgins for jokinen, you'd have to think really hard of doing it. players like higgins come and go in this league but a jokinen or a richards...they dont come so often.

I have not seen Richard's stats for the last two years but I would look closely to make sure he has not begun his decline before giving up Higgins for him. Just saying not ready to trade Higgins just yet for those two players. Need to complete some research before leaping onto this idea.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'd really hesitate before trading away a guy like Higgins. People over seem to think that hes a power-forward and that he'll score 40 goals.

I disagree. Higgins is 5'11", a power-forwad has to be at least be 6'1" tall. PLus I seriously doubt Higgins will ever score 40 goals. He might score 30 in one season, but not 40. But Higgins does have some very good qualities. Not only will he score 30 goals for us, he's very sound defensively, and is not afraid to go ito the corners to fight it out.

Let's not forget that he's best buddies with Komisarek (the future captain) if we were to trade him away, it might leave Komisarek a little annoyed and he might be looking to get traded once he becomes a UFA. None of us would want that!

Yeah, I think Higgins will level out as a 25-35 goal guy, provided he has decent linemates (which it looks like he will have if he stays in Montreal). He's a good all around player too.

This year he was given an A, pretty quickly for a young guy like him. Now, if he hadn't been given that A and we were deciding who would get it between him and Komi, I bet almost all of us would say Komi at this point. It may have added a little extra pressure on him. I think next year he will come back as a more consistent player.

Although I think Gainey would trade Higgins, if he does it will have to be for a huge return.

If Bob thinks they have a shot this season he will do it, but with the patience Gainey has shown

I don't think it will be.

And Vancouver is offering Bourdon, Schneider and a pick.

To get Richards, a package like Grabovski, Fischer and Pacioretty/Emelin/D'agostini, etc might be able to cut it. But would he fit under the cap and would we be willing to do it?

I believe Gainey told Pat Hickey that young roster players (specifically Higgins) would be safe this deadline, and it's more prospects that he's using as bait.

If Gainey were to come out big and bring in two guys (Hossa/Tanguay), I believe he'd want to keep Higgins on board to serve as the team's third line LW. Higgins is a great 2-way player and I think he'd excel if placed in a checking role.

I think it'd be in Gainey's best interest to keep Higgins around and try to bring in the guys he's after in other ways.

I think that Higgins is asked by every GM that we ask for a player.

Why would we trade a player that everybody would happily take in their

line up?

Why would we trade a player that wants to play for CH unlike Tanguay, Richards

, Brière etc etc.??

Why trade a guy that will not have high money inquiries with this so so season?

Why not blame the team centers especially Koivu for the lack of results in

Higgins, Ryder, Latendresse, now Sergei Kost efforts?

From the sounds of BG, it is unlikely that he will deal Higgins, unless some ridiculous offer.

Higgins is struggling a little bit lately, but he will be a solid contributor when the Habs are making their run at a future Cup.

Send off some prospects and upcoming UFA's but not Higgy.

I think that Higgins is asked by every GM that we ask for a player.

Why would we trade a player that everybody would happily take in their

line up?

Why would we trade a player that wants to play for CH unlike Tanguay, Richards

, Brière etc etc.??

Why trade a guy that will not have high money inquiries with this so so season?

Why not blame the team centers especially Koivu for the lack of results in

Higgins, Ryder, Latendresse, now Sergei Kost efforts?

Nail. Head.

Excellent post.