He still hasn't come back

MAK

tsn

I'm a bit shocked that Forsberg didn't at least try to come for, even if it's only for a year.

players like sundin and jokinen suddenly have way more value than yesterday.

will make for an interesting trade deadline day !!

Edited by marky_and_komi

Was kind of expecting this, Rob Blake is going to stay in Los Angeles too apparently.

Doesn't leave a whole lot for the Avs now. Bring on Hossa.

you guys can have him !!

Was kind of expecting this, Rob Blake is going to stay in Los Angeles too apparently.

Doesn't leave a whole lot for the Avs now. Bring on Hossa.

Jets:

While it eliminates two options that were open to the Avalanche 2 days ago, I really don't think this is a huge loss, when taken as a whole. They both require large salaries compared to their contribution, and I don't think either would have been the best fit right now.

Forsberg:

We've already got too many centers hanging around those top two lines. Granted, there have been injuries, but trying to land a guy like Forsberg to replace temporary injury needs doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Here's my main beef with Forsberg though: He's virtually guaranteed to miss about half of the season with injury, and the team wouldn't ba able to pay him accordingly. We already have one salary albatross (Theo - He's been better lately), and I think this would create another. I'd be psyched to have him back, but that's for mostly sentimental reasons.

Blake:

One of the Avs biggest needs right now is a big, physical defenseman. Scott Hannan turned into a teddy bear in the defensive zone when he signed in Colorado, so the need remains. Sauer isn't doing it, and Skrastins is near the end of his career. I don't think there are any untouchable defensemen on the Avs blueline. Blake is old, and as we've seen in L.A., his big-time impact ability have fallen at least, if not gone away. I think we need a guy about 10 years younger than Blake who is a physical, defensive presence.

So, I'm bummed that neither of them are coming, but I don't think either is a total loss. The Avs can get a better fit at a better price at the deadline with Forsberg and Blake off the table.

Hossa would be a good pick-up, but the question is who it would take to get him. (Hensick, a grinder, a pick? Maybe it would take Hejduk?) He's probably better than Hejduk, but his price tag would be worrisome.

A big scary physical defenseman would be my #1 priority if I was Giguere. Rumor has it TB is interested in Theo... what could we get from them? G - Helenius, D - Smaby, D - Mihalik... any of those would be interesting.

I agree neither is a huge loss (I didn't even want us to go after Rob Blake) both players just seemed like the most likely to end up in Colorado at the deadline since we're obviously buyers. I don't know if I'd deal Theo just yet since he's been playing well this year. No doubt thats due to a contract year which is why I think we should sign him to a 1 year deal in the 2-3 mil range for next season and see how he does for one more year. I'm still pro-Budaj and think he has the potential to be our #1 of the future but I still think he needs 1-2 more seasons before he can pull in around 60 games a year.

The last month or so Hannan has really picked it up so I don't know if I'd agree calling him a teddy bear. He definitely was in October-December though. Skrats is done for sure and I think, as many rumor sites are saying, Liles is on his way out. I think Liles fate was sealed when Giguere decided to give the big contract to Clark. Who is also interesting because moving a d-man at this point (like Liles) could prove tough if Clark is indeed done for the rest of the year.

My feelings right now is Giguere is waiting to see how soon his guys are going to come back from injury before decided what to do. Our prospect pool is as deep as I've ever seen it as an Avs fan and I'd have no problem moving a Shattenkirk or a Stewart for some defensive help (The call for Hossa is more for excitement rather then an actual need I see for the team)

I'm a little more worried about getting a big shot from the blueline which is why I'm going to stick with Tomas Kaberle. Probably the only real commodity the Leafs have aside from Sundin. He's got decent size, is a threat from the blueline and is the only Leafs d-man who doesn't act like a pylon in the defensive zone. Plus he's still under contract for a few seasons so Liles+Shattenkirk (I still don't like him) and a pick would work for me.

Also unnrelated, I want us to re-sign Wolski soon. If Hossa would sign long term in Colorado though, I'd consider moving Wolski under certain circumstances.

According to TSN, Kaberle isn't going anywhere.

Yeah, I've read he won't waive his NTC. He wants to be part of Toronto's resurgence.

At which point he'll be like, 36 and won't be of any use to anyone anyway. His loss.

(Before an anal Habs fan gets on me, by resurgence, I mean appearing in the playoffs again. Not a contender)

Resurgence? Heh...

Even your definition sounds unlikely any time soon. The lesser teams are getter better but the Leafs are going no where.

Well with my time frame, I said they might make it in 7 years (since Kaberle is only 29 right now). They should atleast get a centre piece this year in Stamkos/Doughty. And if they manage to deal Sundin and he doesn't come back, they've got a great shot at Tavares.

So who knows, they might be able to make the playoffs in 7 years with those two. Knowing the Leafs though, they'd have no idea how to build around them. :lol:

I agree neither is a huge loss (I didn't even want us to go after Rob Blake) both players just seemed like the most likely to end up in Colorado at the deadline since we're obviously buyers. I don't know if I'd deal Theo just yet since he's been playing well this year. No doubt thats due to a contract year which is why I think we should sign him to a 1 year deal in the 2-3 mil range for next season and see how he does for one more year. I'm still pro-Budaj and think he has the potential to be our #1 of the future but I still think he needs 1-2 more seasons before he can pull in around 60 games a year.

The last month or so Hannan has really picked it up so I don't know if I'd agree calling him a teddy bear. He definitely was in October-December though. Skrats is done for sure and I think, as many rumor sites are saying, Liles is on his way out. I think Liles fate was sealed when Giguere decided to give the big contract to Clark. Who is also interesting because moving a d-man at this point (like Liles) could prove tough if Clark is indeed done for the rest of the year.

My feelings right now is Giguere is waiting to see how soon his guys are going to come back from injury before decided what to do. Our prospect pool is as deep as I've ever seen it as an Avs fan and I'd have no problem moving a Shattenkirk or a Stewart for some defensive help (The call for Hossa is more for excitement rather then an actual need I see for the team)

I'm a little more worried about getting a big shot from the blueline which is why I'm going to stick with Tomas Kaberle. Probably the only real commodity the Leafs have aside from Sundin. He's got decent size, is a threat from the blueline and is the only Leafs d-man who doesn't act like a pylon in the defensive zone. Plus he's still under contract for a few seasons so Liles+Shattenkirk (I still don't like him) and a pick would work for me.

Also unnrelated, I want us to re-sign Wolski soon. If Hossa would sign long term in Colorado though, I'd consider moving Wolski under certain circumstances.

You're right about Theo.

You're right about Hannan, Liles, and Skratch.

You're right about Giguere.

You're right about Wolski.

You're wrong about Shattenkirk. We got him as a bargain at 14. He could have easily been top 10. He's very much constructed in the Liles/Leopold mold. Giving up Liles, Shattenkirk, and a pick for Tomas Kaberle would be overpaying by a wide margin. He doesn't bring the commanding presence that we need, and he's not waiving his NTC.

Jesus, why is they're no Leafs willing to waive their NTC? Are they sado-masochist or something? :lol:

Jesus, why is they're no Leafs willing to waive their NTC? Are they sado-masochist or something? :lol:

Actually, I think they hate the Leafs as much as we do. :clap:

All in favour of ten more years or more of leafs sucking?

Picture the Leafs board room meetings. They brought in Fletcher to trade off these guys and now they wont go. What the hell do you do now? Fletcher as a dismantler builder, okay, as a GM of the existing team he is doomed. I love what is happening there and hope other owners take note and cut back on the no trade clauses.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

You're right about Theo.

You're right about Hannan, Liles, and Skratch.

You're right about Giguere.

You're right about Wolski.

You're wrong about Shattenkirk. We got him as a bargain at 14. He could have easily been top 10. He's very much constructed in the Liles/Leopold mold. Giving up Liles, Shattenkirk, and a pick for Tomas Kaberle would be overpaying by a wide margin. He doesn't bring the commanding presence that we need, and he's not waiving his NTC.

I know this and is why I don't like him. What the hell do we need another for?

It was a bad pick. I hope he proves me wrong but I have zero problem moving him in any deal. In this case, Kaberle helps us out more then Shatenkirk would. You're also paying for the fact he's still got a few years on his deal. I also think if we don't trade Liles now, he's going to walk when UFA season comes so we need to try and get anything for him. A pick, I was thinking like a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Basically moving that package for any kind of defenseman that brings a big body and a good shot on the PP would make me happy.

And I went to check TFP because I didn't think there were any real physical guys available but as soon as I get there, I see Barret Jackman. I'd definitely add to Liles to deal for him. Then of course Foote is probably available but I'd prefer dealing for someone who isn't going to retire in the next 2 years and nostalgia factor for me on him is high.

• 2 weeks later...

Sub thread in a thread

Didn't want to start a new thread about the losses of Svatos and Smitty to the Avalanche so I decided to post it here. The Forsberg signing is a good thing more than ever now. These injuries look to be at least a 1st round loss casualty for Svatos. Smitty is doubtful but we'll see how that goes. Normally I (if I were an Avs fan) wouldn't be so worried. After all, the acquisition of Foote helps lighten the hit as does the emergence of Stastny as a good call up and players like Wolski make up for it too.

But, what a drag when there's the Anaheim's and the Brad Richards-Jere Lehtinen and Co. of the hockey universe. Detroit?

Sorry Jets. Sucks for Smitty. He's pure warrior.

Sub thread in a thread

Didn't want to start a new thread about the losses of Svatos and Smitty to the Avalanche so I decided to post it here. The Forsberg signing is a good thing more than ever now. These injuries look to be at least a 1st round loss casualty for Svatos. Smitty is doubtful but we'll see how that goes. Normally I (if I were an Avs fan) wouldn't be so worried. After all, the acquisition of Foote helps lighten the hit as does the emergence of Stastny as a good call up and players like Wolski make up for it too.

But, what a drag when there's the Anaheim's and the Brad Richards-Jere Lehtinen and Co. of the hockey universe. Detroit?

Sorry Jets. Sucks for Smitty. He's pure warrior.

Stars? Meh. A healthy Detroit could destroy everyone.

Feel sorry for the Avs though. Injuries are never nice.

Like you said, I'm not really worried. Our offensive depth is insane and we've still got a better team then the one that was fighting for 8th spot the last couple of months. Hensick can come up and impress again and Arnason can get the hell off the 3rd line. He needs to be on one of the top two to be effective.

If the injury was to a d-man, I'd be concerned but it's not so meh.