Brisebois' Playoff Performance

CBHabs_fan

I too am fed up with the endless Brisebois bashing. He was not THAT bad in his first tenure with us, a decent second-tier offensive defenceman who was sadly miscast as a #1 defender by a horrible team. In his second go-around he has done all that a good depth player can be asked to do, and has stepped up his game in the playoffs as a grizzled veteran should (much like Smolinski - not a guy who can play a regular shift at a high level any more, but who can still raise his game in the crunch).

Let's give some respect to a guy who has the :hlogo: on his heart and has paid all the dues in the world, suffering through the darkest phase of our history. Stop attacking him for being the best defenceman on a bad team 8 years ago.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am fed up with the endless Brisebois bashing. He was not THAT bad in his first tenure with us, a decent second-tier offensive defenceman who was sadly miscast as a #1 defender by a horrible team. In his second go-around he has done all that a good depth player can be asked to do, and has stepped up his game in the playoffs as a grizzled veteran should (much like Smolinski - not a guy who can play a regular shift at a high level any more, but who can still raise his game in the crunch).

Let's give some respect to a guy who has the :hlogo: on his heart and has paid all the dues in the world, suffering through the darkest phase of our history. Stop attacking him for being the best defenceman on a bad team 8 years ago.

:clap:

And one of only 3 active NHLer who won a Cup with the Canadiens :)

Edited by Wamsley01

I gotta agree on this one. Brisebois has done a far better job manning the point on the powerplay than Streit. If there's a guy who worries me, it's Streit. He can't even hold the line on the powerplay, let alone get a shot on the net. It just shows you the value of playoff experience - the veteran Brisebois has stepped it up a notch, while Streit (who has zero prior playoff experience) is definitely playing badly.

I agree. We need to stop attacking him. He is a Leader. He's won a cup in Montreal before.

And his play has been good.

I say for everyone attending Game 5, everytime he touches the puck we cheer loud, give him a huge confidence boost. He is a true Montreal Canadien. And we should appreciate that. Too many people are remembering him from years past when our team was not that good and he took the majority of the blame for it.

"Brise-Bois, Brise-Bois, Brise-Bois."

Chara = Boos

Brisebois = Cheers

Deal?

"I will be happy if this kid can make an outlet pass."

I'm glad to see that Gainey had a better vision of the possibilities of this kid than many of us did.

I must add, though, that, while searching the posts about the trade, I didn't find too much to denigrate him like the posts above. I didn't search any other topics looking for comments about him during his adaptation period. Having been exposed to similar descriptives for a number of other players who were struggling, at one time or another, I expect that I will have found variations of things like 'bucket of pucks', 'pile of sticks', 'not worth shit', 'useless piece of crap', etc... all very uplifting, constructive comments.

I can only hope that those of us who make such comments never have to face them in their own real world. I hope that they will never be rejected, demeaned or, essentially, discarded like they so easily and quite so readily do to the persons on whom they are commenting. All I can say is 'treat others the way you'd like to be treated'. If you want to be categorized as 'not worth shit' or 'useless piece of crap' then feel free to do so to others too.

For my part, all I can say is 'Thank you Mr. Gainey for your mistakes and for your successes. At the very least, those of us who are realistic can see that you know a lot more about what a GM does than those who claim greater wisdom from their own comfortable, safe and free-of-responsibility-of-action universe.'

GO :hlogo: GO!

If calling Brisebois utterly useless only to watch him score the game winner is not whining then I really don't know what is.

I am not a fan of Breezy, but the guy got a shot on goal on a PP, something that Streit and Markov have continually failed to do in 4 games.

Brisebois has hardly been the worst defenceman or forward in this series. If we are going to go back and highlight every giveaway then

we should afford him the same treatment on the other end and show all the strong outlet passes, the calm decisions with the puck and the

game winning goal he scored. So if you and your self proclaimed greater knowledge than all the sportswriters want to call him out and call him useless,

then maybe you should call out Streit and how useless he has been, or call Higgins useless, or call Latendresse and AK46 useless.

But you are whining about his play based on your hatred from previous performances, not based on his work in this series alone. I don't see any

diatribes about Kovalev and how terrible he has played, nor Pleks. What I see on this board is a free pass handed to Plekanec in which the

harshest critcism he has received was from himself. When Pleks played a good shift everybody tossed his salad and said YAY, way to go Pleks.

Why is it that a 4th to 6th d-man is brutal, should be off the ice and not playing yet has more points than every player on the top 2 lines except Kovalev?

Why is it that a 4th to 6th d-man who needs to be removed is second on the team in +/- in these playoffs?

This team is up 3-1 in a series in which the PP (Streit, Kovalev, Plekanec, Markov and Kostitsyn) has been abysmal, the top 2 lines invisible and the top

D pairing playing below their regular season performance and you feel the need to call out Brisebois????

Of course, that makes all the sense in the world, their is no agenda there. Just a non biased fan giving his two cents about the problems of the team

and how if their 4th defenseman was no longer playing that the first two lines and the PP would play better and Gorges would no longer cough up the puck

and Streit would no longer panic when rushed. Replace him with Ryder and all the problems are solved, the same Ryder who has scored 0 goals/points in the playoffs,

and scored 2 goals in his final 18 games.

So consider this a post with me whining about your whining about Brisebois. So yes, I am a whiner and proud of it.

You certainly are touchy on me criticizing Brisebois. Certainly a lot of guys could be called out, but they can and will elevate their game. Can you say the same about your buddy Breezer? Not with a straight face, I bet. So I am not "calling him out" per se, just reminding everyone what we've known for some time....he is an average defencemen who is prone to errors. I also find his unwillingness to play physical, worrisome.

My what a fickle bunch some of you are when the perennial goat ( for good reason) scores a goal in a wide open cage, and he's now the hero, etc. I think I even saw the word "leader" posted somewhere??? :wacko: Then I am some kind of idiot, and without "knowledge" because I dont want him in the lineup.

And no need to re-iterate how we should be happy where we are....yada yada.....I am happy. I just hope Brisebois is out of the lineup soon, as I feel we'll be even better without him in the long run.

:clap::clap:

Wamsley is right, your bitching about Brisebois because you obviously have a hate for him since his last years in Montreal. Get over it, he's been solid so far in the playoffs.

Actually you are wrong. I gave him a fair shake this year at $700k, and I still havent liked what I have seen.

Look, I respect the guy and would be happy to eat my words and have him be a prominent force in the playoffs. He obviously bridges the gap between our last cup winner and the present.

It's not about respecting, liking, or hating the guy. It's about believing that we can put someone in the lineup better than him at his job....so shoot me.

Look, I respect the guy and would be happy to eat my words and have him be a prominent force in the playoffs. He obviously bridges the gap between our last cup winner and the present.

It's not about respecting, liking, or hating the guy. It's about believing that we can put someone in the lineup better than him at his job....so shoot me.

Who? Ryder as you suggested with Streit taking Brisebois place? Streit has been terrible this series. I don't see how that changes the Habs position.

Or maybe with throw in some players with zero experience? I don't really understand who is going to come in and do a better job right now.

It makes no sense to bash a guy who has been in the upper half of performance on the team.

It is pretty apparent that you are not judging his performance in the last 4 games. I am not worrying about how Breezer will play tomorrow, when he does play

bad I will call him out on it, but I am not going to call out a guy who is playing well because he may play bad next week. That is inane.

Who? Ryder as you suggested with Streit taking Brisebois place? Streit has been terrible this series. I don't see how that changes the Habs position.

Or maybe with throw in some players with zero experience? I don't really understand who is going to come in and do a better job right now.

It makes no sense to bash a guy who has been in the upper half of performance on the team.

It is pretty apparent that you are not judging his performance in the last 4 games. I am not worrying about how Breezer will play tomorrow, when he does play

bad I will call him out on it, but I am not going to call out a guy who is playing well because he may play bad next week. That is inane.

Yes, I would rather have Ryder in the lineup than Brisebois. No reason he cant get hot and score some goals. Plus he goes in the corners.

All of you watch Brisebois tonight when he gets pressured in his own zone and tell me if this makes you feel comfortable.

Yes, I would rather have Ryder in the lineup than Brisebois. No reason he cant get hot and score some goals. Plus he goes in the corners.

All of you watch Brisebois tonight when he gets pressured in his own zone and tell me if this makes you feel comfortable.

So let me get this straight

You want to put a guy in the lineup who is not scoring or playing well because he MIGHT get hot and score some goals

and

You want to remove a guy who is playing well because he MIGHT play poorly?

OK then

This is kind of typical, yet sad. People will jump the minute Breezy makes a mistake and say "I told you so, he is garbage and should never have been in the game". Yet I have watched every single dman we have make a mistake, lose the puck, or miss an easy outlet pass. Yes people don't sit there and say 'Komi screwed up, dump him".

If you leave the emotion and hate out, it is obvious that Breezy is just fine. He is pulling his weight and maybe even exceeding expectations. He won't be mistaken for our number one defenseman, but that is not his job.

People seem to under estimate that Breezy has experience, knows what it takes, and is highly motivated to win the cup. This might be his last year. I am not surprised to see that he has picked up his game, and I assume Carbo was counting on this.

In my view, unless Breezy starts playing terrible, there is no reason to sit him down. His play has earned him a bit of confidence from his coach. When Carbo starts seeing him struggle, I am sure he will rotate him out of the lineup if he feels someone else can step in and do better.

I honestly expected when I saw this thread title to see a lot of praise for Breezy, based on what I saw in the game. Why not root for a guy who has stepped up rather then sit there saying.. when he makes a mistake.. it will prove he sucks. :(

This is kind of typical, yet sad. People will jump the minute Breezy makes a mistake and say "I told you so, he is garbage and should never have been in the game". Yet I have watched every single dman we have make a mistake, lose the puck, or miss an easy outlet pass. Yes people don't sit there and say 'Komi screwed up, dump him".

If you leave the emotion and hate out, it is obvious that Breezy is just fine. He is pulling his weight and maybe even exceeding expectations. He won't be mistaken for our number one defenseman, but that is not his job.

People seem to under estimate that Breezy has experience, knows what it takes, and is highly motivated to win the cup. This might be his last year. I am not surprised to see that he has picked up his game, and I assume Carbo was counting on this.

In my view, unless Breezy starts playing terrible, there is no reason to sit him down. His play has earned him a bit of confidence from his coach. When Carbo starts seeing him struggle, I am sure he will rotate him out of the lineup if he feels someone else can step in and do better.

I honestly expected when I saw this thread title to see a lot of praise for Breezy, based on what I saw in the game. Why not root for a guy who has stepped up rather then sit there saying.. when he makes a mistake.. it will prove he sucks. :(

Here Here. It is nice to agree on something :clap:

You want to put a guy in the lineup who is not scoring or playing well because he MIGHT get hot and score some goals

and

OK then

That is exactly what they are saying. More, once the player they don't like screws up, it validates their entire argument. But if Markov screws up 8 times in a row, you won't see them calling for him to sit. :)

I am with you. Breezy is playing just fine, he is not a problem, and until he does screw up, he shouldn't be punished.

Here Here. It is nice to agree on something :clap:

Its painful, but I don't always disagree with you, it just seems that way. :lol::clap::lol:

Looks like pretty much everyone is in agreement that Breezby has been playing some solid hockey this past week. That's good enough for me!

and

OK then

But see you are missing my point of view completely. I DONT think Breezy is playing that well, and Ryder's upside IMO is more.

On the other hand, I also agree that the coaching staff wont and shouldnt sit him at this time....particularly after last game. I just hope he doesnt screw us, and would rather him out. If he proves me wrong, it can only be good for the team.

Is my difference of opinion so hard to accept, or should we continue to disagree?

That is exactly what they are saying. More, once the player they don't like screws up, it validates their entire argument.

But if Markov screws up 8 times in a row, you won't see them calling for him to sit. :)

I am with you. Breezy is playing just fine, he is not a problem, and until he does screw up, he shouldn't be punished.

Its painful, but I don't always disagree with you, it just seems that way. :lol::clap::lol:

I cant even begin to tell you why I would give Markov more leeway to screw up before I'd sit him over Brisebois right now. You're right I wont be calling for him to sit even in the fantasy world where he screws up 8 times in a row.

As far as you're question about why I wouldnt root for Breez....well I do. I will cheer for every nice play he makes, because he wears the CH. I dont have to want him in the lineup to cheer for him. Do you think people werent cheering for Huet, even when they had Price in net.

Edited by CBHabs_fan

But see you are missing my point of view completely. I DONT think Breezy is playing that well

seriously think that you may eb the only person in North America who thinks Brisebois hasn't been playing well in the playoffs. Ever thought that maybe you were wrong? :rolleyes:

Just gonna throw something else to think about.

It's a good thing the Habs have Breezer playing well(in my opinion), because if not they might have thought about rushing Bouillon back into the lineup sooner than when he is 100%. With the depth on the Habs D, the Cube is of little help and would be more of a hinderence if he is at less than 100%. It's nice that he can hit, but his passing is mediocre at best and if he has trouble skating, one of his finer qualities, then even the B's would be taking full advantage. The Cube did have a strong year for what is a 5th or 6th d-man, but is definitely expendable and replaceable. The Breezer make better passes than the Cube. Love the Cube's grit, but even with his grit he is very undersized and also has trouble with big forwards in the defensive zone. Also, Breezer brings more offense to the table. Depending on the matchup, either d-man could be interchanged depending on the need.

That being said, i welcome Bouillon back into the fold when he gets to 100%. Koivu, on the other hand could be of help at even less than 100%.

Some people will never like Brisebois, no matter what he does. Just like some people never liked Rivet no matter what he did (I'm one of the latter). Gotta live with that.

Fact is, Breezer hasn't made any huge goal-costing mistake out there. He has cut down on the high-risk passes. Most of all, he has 15 years of experience in the League, he's guiding the kids along in the playoffs and he's appreciated by the young guys for that. And that matters a Hell lot right now.

Possibly at some point Breezer will show some wear & tear (he looked a bit out of gas in Game 3) and we just happen to be fortunate enough to have the depth to put another reliable D in there.

But see you are missing my point of view completely. I DONT think Breezy is playing that well, and Ryder's upside IMO is more.

On the other hand, I also agree that the coaching staff wont and shouldnt sit him at this time....particularly after last game. I just hope he doesnt screw us, and would rather him out. If he proves me wrong, it can only be good for the team.

Is my difference of opinion so hard to accept, or should we continue to disagree?

You stated that you know more about hockey than all the sportswriters, everyone in this thread feels you are slamming Brisebois and disagrees with you,

you don't feel he is playing well but the coaching staff should not sit him after last game? A game in which you criticized his play by saying...

God Brisebois is useless....COMPLETELY useless

Is your difference of opinion so hard to accept? No your difference of opinion is hard to understand.

You slammed Breezer, he scored the game winner, he is leading the team in points, he is outperforming the top 2 lines and D pairing and yet you still want me to accept

your opinion when you have provided ZERO evidence to the contrary. Yet you also agree that he should not be benched??

I am not a Brisebois fan in anyway, but he has nothing to do with anything negative going on in this series. So to slander him is totally senseless.

You stated that you know more about hockey than all the sportswriters, everyone in this thread feels you are slamming Brisebois and disagrees with you,

you don't feel he is playing well but the coaching staff should not sit him after last game? A game in which you criticized his play by saying...

God Brisebois is useless....COMPLETELY useless

Is your difference of opinion so hard to accept? No your difference of opinion is hard to understand.

You slammed Breezer, he scored the game winner, he is leading the team in points, he is outperforming the top 2 lines and D pairing and yet you still want me to accept

your opinion when you have provided ZERO evidence to the contrary. Yet you also agree that he should not be benched??

I am not a Brisebois fan in anyway, but he has nothing to do with anything negative going on in this series. So to slander him is totally senseless.

lol, great post, very wel stated

I've never been much of a Breezer fan - mostly because he was greatly overrated and overpaid during his last few years in Montreal (which I still think cost Markov some development time) - but for these series, I mostly had a problem with the fact that Ryan O'Byrne was losing on valuable playoff experience, especially against a weakened Boston team that on paper is no match for the Habs right now.

Against thougher opposition such as the Flyers and the Rangers, we will need a guy like Ryan O'Byrne, who's huge, mobile, agressive, and increasingly valuable for the Canadiens. I respect Carbonneau's decison to bet on experience early in the playoffs... but O'Byrne has to stay from this point on.

Last year in Hamilton, the trio of rookies composed of Carey Price, Ryan O'Byrne, and Kyle Chipchura were instrumental in the conquest of the Calder Cup, and they all proved to be true warriors. Considering they all played well for Montreal this season when called-up, I just thought it was strange that only one of them was in the lineup...

well Streit is out for a little bit (hopefully not too long), so I don't see much of a way for Brisebois to get knocked out of the lineup. He had, IMO, a bit of a down game in Game 3, but was perfectly acceptable (and at times above that) in games 1,2,4.

I've never been much of a Breezer fan - mostly because he was greatly overrated and overpaid during his last few years in Montreal (which I still think cost Markov some development time) - but for these series, I mostly had a problem with the fact that Ryan O'Byrne was losing on valuable playoff experience, especially against a weakened Boston team that on paper is no match for the Habs right now.

Against thougher opposition such as the Flyers and the Rangers, we will need a guy like Ryan O'Byrne, who's huge, mobile, agressive, and increasingly valuable for the Canadiens. I respect Carbonneau's decison to bet on experience early in the playoffs... but O'Byrne has to stay from this point on.

Last year in Hamilton, the trio of rookies composed of Carey Price, Ryan O'Byrne, and Kyle Chipchura were instrumental in the conquest of the Calder Cup, and they all proved to be true warriors. Considering they all played well for Montreal this season when called-up, I just thought it was strange that only one of them was in the lineup...

Winning in the playoffs requires constant juggling and strong performances from unexpected players. The Pens won in 91 with Pieterangelo standing on his head,

Habs in 93 with Dipietro scoring up a storm, Matteau in 94 for the Rangers, Gelinas in 2004 etc etc.

The reason they say no passengers is because when each player gets inserted he serves his purpose and excels when asked to fill a void. O'Byrne will get his experience

and Brisebois will benefit from the depth. I am sure both will struggle at times due to age, but I am going to appreciate what Breezer has done so far. If Carbo leaves him in when

he is really struggling, then I will question the wisdom of the move.

And you forgot Lapierre. He was a huge ingredient in that Calder Cup victory

Edited by Wamsley01