Price Snubbed for Calder Nomination

lazy26

If anything I think we should be grateful he wasn't nominated.

A usless award or nomination on his resume would just increase his barganing power come contract time. If we are gonna pay big for this kid (and trust me we are) i'd rather pay up for a Stanley Cup and a matching Conn Smythe trophy :rolleyes: .

A usless award or nomination on his resume would just increase his barganing power come contract time. If we are gonna pay big for this kid (and trust me we are) i'd rather pay up for a Stanley Cup and a matching Conn Smythe trophy :rolleyes: .

He's still going to cost us 5 or 6 million a year at his first contract. I don't know if the award will change much. We all know that Price is the best player out of the entire rookie class and Price knows it himself. It doesn't really matter that he couldn't win the award because he spent his first few NHL months as a backup. By the time he's a superstar (arguably now) no one will even remember his rookie months, they will just judge him on the way he's playing.

One thing to consider when comparing Jonathan Toews and Carey Price is the impact they had on their respective team throughout the entire season. While Toews has been a key player for the Hawks from the very first game - unfortunately being injured at some point - Carey Price has spent most of the season being a backup goaltender, and even spent some time in the minors.

As much as I like Carey Price, the fact remains that Toews has been an impact player during the entire season, as opposed to a couple of months for Carey Price.

I'm personally more disappointed not to see Peter Mueller nominated. He's played an entire season (as opposed to Toews... otherwise he would be no match), and even though the stats don't show it, I think he's had a bigger impact for the Coyotes than Backstrom for the Capitals.

Excellent post. I couldn't have said better myself! :clap:

I remember being caught between hoping Theo would win the MVP award and not wanting to have to pay for the league MVP in 2002.

But in all likelihood it will not make a difference. He is going to get big money because he is already knocking on the door of the top goalies in the league.

Are you really putting him above Crosby?

Would you place Roy over Lemieux? It all depends on your criteria and perspective.

If Price wins 3 Stanley Cups and a couple of Conn Smythes and Crosby wins 2 with a Conn Smythe who is the better pick or player?

Roy won 4 Cups and 3 Conn Smythe trophies to Lemieux's 2 and 2.

If you judge a player based on individual awards and scoring titles than Lemieux is the best pick and player to come out of the 84 Draft, but

if you make your judgement based on Playoff success then Roy is the best player and pick to come out of that draft.

It is not that outlandish a statement as both have really not accomplished anything in the playoffs, and that is where legends grow.

Price must really cry and be depress about not being considered for Calder healing is fractured leg ^_^ .

If anything a season trophy gives the player only a couple million bucks to himself, a Conny Smythe gives

millions to the player and to the the team. More games we play in the playoffs the more Gillet pocket gets

thicker.

Toews was out due to injuries. Price was out because he was sent the AHL and he was not the number one guy for most of the season. That is a huge difference, imo. If Price came in, stole the job, was injured, came back 3 months later and picked up where he left off, then yeah, he would get the nod over Toews, imo.

Anyways, that just shows how good the rookie pool was this season, with guys like Carey Price, Peter Mueller, Tobias Enstrom ... not even nominated for the Calder. We're far from a season where Barret Jackman could win it or where much older guys like Ryder and Hunter would come very close.

Besides, althought a great recognition of a young kid's talent, it doesn't mean all that much. After all, Sidney Crosby didn't win it because Ovechkin was even better, Eric Lindros didn't get because of Selanne's fluke rookie season, and Joe Thornton didn't even come close since he was used as a 4th line. Still, all three surpassed the Calder winner in their respective rookie season.

This is Montreal and as Price said "they don't hang conference champion banners in ths building." Nobody ever talks about individual trophies in this franchise. If they do its when theyre raising a number to the rafters and it comes from the PA after saying how many Stanley Cups the player won. Thats what makes us different and why the only trophy that matters is the big shiny silver one. Besides where would he put them all? When he wins the Cup all the others will wind up in his moms basement or in a shoe box.

Would you place Roy over Lemieux? It all depends on your criteria and perspective.

If Price wins 3 Stanley Cups and a couple of Conn Smythes and Crosby wins 2 with a Conn Smythe who is the better pick or player?

If you judge a player based on individual awards and scoring titles than Lemieux is the best pick and player to come out of the 84 Draft, but

if you make your judgement based on Playoff success then Roy is the best player and pick to come out of that draft.

It is not that outlandish a statement as both have really not accomplished anything in the playoffs, and that is where legends grow.

WOW! Great analysis. I had never thought of it that way!

Are you really putting him above Crosby?

As of THIS moment, i'd place Crosby ahead, but in 2 or 3 years, i wouldn't be surpriseed to see Price ahead!

Cups are team awards and some Conn Smythe only go to players on the winning team (usually).

Charlie Huddy has 5 cups, does that mean he is better then Roy, or Gretz???

I do agree with your premise that in the long run, it is hard to tell who is going to be the better player.

Cups are team awards and some Conn Smythe only go to players on the winning team (usually).

Charlie Huddy has 5 cups, does that mean he is better then Roy, or Gretz???

I do agree with your premise that in the long run, it is hard to tell who is going to be the better player.

I am not coming to the conclusion that Price is better, but I don't think it is a ridiculous premise to think

that Price could be better.

As for Charlie Huddy winning 5 Cups. I listed Cups and CONN SMYTHE Trophies.

Last time I checked Huddy had NONE of those.

If Roy won 4 Cups and zero Conn Smythes I would not compare him to Lemieux and his 2 and 2.

But Roy was the the MVP and difference maker in 3 of his 4 Cups. If you draft players with the purpose

of winning championships, then Roy is the equal of Lemieux for the Canadiens and his superior for their

careers.