-- Permanent Floating Music Thread --

Doktor Kosmos

Any Chili Peppers fans here?

I've read about 2/3 of Anthony Kiedis' autobiography, Scar Tissue. I like it very much.

I didn't start to really listen to Red Hot CHili Peppers until their album Californication was released. Obviously I have Blood Sugar Sex Magik too, but I have never bothered looking up the earlier stuff. I'm thinking it might be worth a try at least.

Anyway, the book is very interesting. The life he has lead is so different from my life. It's hard to relate to a lot of the stuff. But since I like their music, it is obviously a good read.

:lol:

I'm debating on whether or not I should join my friends for the road trip to Edmonton for Warped Tour. This is the first year it's just going to Edmonton instead of Edmonton and Calgary so I'm a little peeved. But The Used and Funeral For A Friend are performing so it's very likely I'll bite the bullet and go.

Rise Against is playing back to back shows too at the Mac Hall, I'll probably go to one of those if not both.

And my cousin left for Coachella today, the lucky bastard.

Did you see the line-up for Coachelle, THATS INSANE!!! SICK line-up!! Know some guys who just go for Coachella to the states..

Yeah i like the Peppers, saw them twice. They have a Huge concert again this summer in Holland, but so many times in such a short period of time is good enough. So i'm not going...on the same ground Pearl Jam is having a concert to(outside), and Incubus and Kings of Leon are supporting, so i'm going to that. Huge Kings of Leon fan here....

Any Chili Peppers fans here?

I've read about 2/3 of Anthony Kiedis' autobiography, Scar Tissue. I like it very much.

I didn't start to really listen to Red Hot CHili Peppers until their album Californication was released. Obviously I have Blood Sugar Sex Magik too, but I have never bothered looking up the earlier stuff. I'm thinking it might be worth a try at least.

Anyway, the book is very interesting. The life he has lead is so different from my life. It's hard to relate to a lot of the stuff. But since I like their music, it is obviously a good read.

Every song sounds the same to me.

Plus I get tired of the constant California lyrics.

Sounds the same? Obviously I don't agree with that.

Look on the bright side. They could be singing about St. Louis, Missouri. ;)

Is it because they're American that you automatically write them off? Or is there another reason?

Personally, I think the Chili Peppers are awesome. B)

Did you see the line-up for Coachelle, THATS INSANE!!! SICK line-up!! Know some guys who just go for Coachella to the states..

Yeah i like the Peppers, saw them twice. They have a Huge concert again this summer in Holland, but so many times in such a short period of time is good enough. So i'm not going...on the same ground Pearl Jam is having a concert to(outside), and Incubus and Kings of Leon are supporting, so i'm going to that. Huge Kings of Leon fan here....

Yeah, I have seen the lineup for Coachella, I was supposed to go with him but I couldn't get the time off work. :puke:

I too am a huge Chili Peppers fan.

Is it because they're American that you automatically write them off? Or is there another reason?

Personally, I think the Chili Peppers are awesome. B)

awesome musician !!

I hear you. I haven't paid close attention to their musical career, but I haven't heard much growth.

No growth? Come on, now you're just being stupid.

That's like saying Metallica sounds the same on St.Anger as they did on Kill Em All.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

yup and how long have they been around? 10, 15, 20 years? lol.

just looked them up, 1983! lol

crazy, how people still buy them I have no idea.

Staying to a particular sound doesnt mean they dont grow, and as a "non-fan" that doesnt hear all there music you cant have a good based opinion. You just say something, i had better expectations of you Pierce. You can base an opinion if you have heared every single album since the beginning.

I'm not a huge fan, i like it, so i'm quite objective but there is quite a huge differance between the early days and what they make now. They used to be quite aggressive/pumped up music, but they are more mellow now. Offcourse the sound of the music hasnt changed much, cuz Kiedis his voice is so particular for the RHCP sound.

Everything gets over played here on the radio. Especially since Rock has fallen off the map here only the established artists before the fall (mid-to-late 90's) get air play on the 'rock' stations.

So every hour I here, the same Red Hot Chili Peppers. The radio singles from the last album to me sound like the last 3 albums.

To me Red Hot Chili Peppers are nice to listen to for a week. And then after they've over played it for 3 months, 7 times a day, 200 times a week, you get angry.

So I don't blame RHCP I blame the radio stations for killing any interest in bands.

But for some reason the 3 albums I remember from them all seem to have the same bass beat and singing style.

And St. Anger was a regression for Metallica. No solos, all done on the computer. Good Riddance Bob Rock (the producer).

Everything gets over played here on the radio. Especially since Rock has fallen off the map here only the established artists before the fall (mid-to-late 90's) get air play on the 'rock' stations.

So every hour I here, the same Red Hot Chili Peppers. The radio singles from the last album to me sound like the last 3 albums.

To me Red Hot Chili Peppers are nice to listen to for a week. And then after they've over played it for 3 months, 7 times a day, 200 times a week, you get angry.

So I don't blame RHCP I blame the radio stations for killing any interest in bands.

But for some reason the 3 albums I remember from them all seem to have the same bass beat and singing style.

And St. Anger was a regression for Metallica. No solos, all done on the computer. Good Riddance Bob Rock (the producer).

st anger sucked !!

commercial music radio stations are a waste of electricity.

amen !!

I never listen to commercial radio anymore.

I rely on friends to learn about some new bands !!

No growth? Come on, now you're just being stupid.

That's like saying Metallica sounds the same on St.Anger as they did on Kill Em All.

I'm saying that you can pick out a Chili Peppers song on the radio within 4 bars. They haven't really done much that is different over the years. Some call that musically consistent, others call it musically stagnant.

I like bands that experiment a bit more.

I'm saying that you can pick out a Chili Peppers song on the radio within 4 bars. They haven't really done much that is different over the years. Some call that musically consistent, others call it musically stagnant.

And I'll say that if that's your opinion then you haven't really listened to their music.

But any of that doesn't really matter. I don't think we'll be able to get anywhere from here, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I can tell you one thing though. If you read the autobiography and it doesn't melt your heart, then you have a heart of stone.

I'd actually have to agree with Trizzak, and I've studied more music than most people have studied history.

RHCP have a distinct sound, and it is pickable in close to four bars. They found a formula, and have been milking it for years now. Same with U2 and Coldplay. And I've got a total of 15 of all three bands' albums on my iTunes, if that means anything for how much I've listened to them.

Many will say Bob Dylan sold out when he altered his style (first with electric guitar, etc), but he's the longest-serving artist who has continually changed his sound, and (obviously) not to appeal to mainstream audiences.

But each unto their own.

Edited by TheAussiePosse

OK, then what are you supposed to do? If you don't change, as you claim is the case with the Peppers (and to which I disagree, but that is not the point), people bitch and moan. If you change, like Dylan or Metallica, people bitch and moan. If you keep playing for a hundred years, like the Rolling Stones, people bitch and moan. If you make two records and then quit, people bitch and moan. You can't win.

:wacko:

Dave Matthews Band - Everyday

I dont know much about them, but i just love this song!!

amen !!

I never listen to commercial radio anymore.

I rely on friends to learn about some new bands !!

So what is your kind of music, what do you listen to a lot, and what band did you discover recently that you love??

OK, then what are you supposed to do? If you don't change, as you claim is the case with the Peppers (and to which I disagree, but that is not the point), people bitch and moan. If you change, like Dylan or Metallica, people bitch and moan. If you keep playing for a hundred years, like the Rolling Stones, people bitch and moan. If you make two records and then quit, people bitch and moan. You can't win.

Mmhmm, so true.

The only thing anybody can ask of an artist: be true to thyself. If you want to change, then change (Bowie, Neil Young). If you like what you're doing and want to keep it going - do that. As you say, people will bitch and moan in any case, so an artist shouldn't devote all their time to trying to please other people... and this is especially the case for artists who have had some success and don't have to worry about where their next meal or mortgage payment is coming from!